PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Eagles - Board Appears Split Already

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Just looking at the board and noticed that the consensus is split for this weekend:

1694051590870.png

I guess I'll post a couple of things based on why I think either team will take this one:

Eagles:
1) Curious to see if the Patriots can both defend and contain Hurts. He's athletic and obviously, it was an issue last season.
2) Several young players in the secondary and there's a level of concern when it comes to whether or not they can prevent big plays.
3) Their pass rush is brutal.

Patriots
1) Their ground game with Stevenson/Elliot is solid (both also dangerous out of the backfield), and I think O'Brien and Jones will do a good job mixing things up where they'll create a few opportunities in the passing game
2) I think they'll get pressure defensively both from the edge and potentially inside, and I think they'll force Hurts to rush some throws and it could lead to a couple of turnovers, whether it's an interception and/or possibly a strip sack.
3) While this receiving corps isn't a "great" group as a whole, it's probably the best one they've had in recent years. The two rookies were a pleasant surprise and obviously grew a lot in preseason, and I feel like Demario Douglas and Kayshon Boutte will be difference makers at times. A lot of quickness off the snap overall, and they'll provide outlets in situations where they have to get the ball out quick.

Obviously, post your own take on this weekend from both sides, but I do feel like it's not as uneven as a few people might believe it to be. :cool:

Last edited:
Did Hurts play at all this PS? He typically does bad in the first game of the season.

Week 1 is always a crap shoot. I guess that’s why there’s overreaction Monday

Did Hurts play at all this PS? He typically does bad in the first game of the season.

I was curious after your post.

2021 -27/35 264 3/0 126 rating. 32-6 win
2022 - 18/32 243 0/0 80 rating but 90 yards rushing and 38-35 win.

Hurts DID NOT play at all this preseason.

Playing the Eagles week one is the best time to play them. There are always teams that end up being elite teams that lose week one. More surprise upset. The Pats have been preparing for the Eagles all summer. The Eagles have two new coordinators. I think the Eagles are clearly the better team. But week one is the best time for an upset.

That said, I wouldn't bet on the Pats this weekend.

I was curious after your post.

2021 -27/35 264 3/0 126 rating. 32-6 win
2022 - 18/32 243 0/0 80 rating but 90 yards rushing and 38-35 win.

And for the other half of that post, he did play in the preseason last year, but only in the first game. Doesn't seem like he needs a ton of work to avoid a slow start. If the Pats are going to win this it won't be because Hurts isn't ready. They'll have to earn it.

Playing the Eagles week one is the best time to play them. There are always teams that end up being elite teams that lose week one. More surprise upset. The Pats have been preparing for the Eagles all summer. The Eagles have two new coordinators. I think the Eagles are clearly the better team. But week one is the best time for an upset.

That said, I wouldn't bet on the Pats this weekend.

I'm not a betting man in general, but if I was I probably wouldn't bet on ANY week 1 games. Week 1 is weird.

I'm not a betting man in general, but if I was I probably wouldn't bet on ANY week 1 games. Week 1 is weird.
Vegas gets a lot of spreads way off.

Money can be made.

The smart money would say Eagles.
But, I've been smelling a chance at a big upset here.
Not a new take, but it really will come down to Pats OL vs. Eagles DL
I'm certainly not confident after such a disastrous TC with the most turnstile, injury-plagued OL rotation in recent memory.
But if our starters are fully healthy, and can get the run game going early, we have a chance.
Imagine the pandemonium if our Pats can pull this one out!

Picked the Eagles in the Predict the Score contest but feel this will be close up until the end when the Eagles score a late touchdown to pull away and win by 10.

Think Hurts starts off a little slow due to rust and the Patriots take advantage of that but I also think the Eagles pass rush will get stronger as the game goes on and takes advantage of the Pats offensive line (which has not worked together all training camp due to injuries etc.).

Pats offense could use a lot of motion, p/a, screens to get the aggressive Eagles defense off their spots and this will yield positive results until the Eagles adjust.

It will be an exciting game for sure though and the Pats should hang tough for most of the game before coming up short in the end.

The front 7 needs not to pursue. Stay home fill your gap don't get more than 2 yards or so up field and let him come to you. Take your shots with a blitz here or there and play man 1 most of the game and hope your guys beat their guys.

Simple but the most effective way to handle a running QB.

I’m not sure if the Eagles having new coordinators is a positive or negative for us.

.....going to be wet. Scattered thunderstorms in the morning becoming more widespread in the afternoon according to weather.com.

.....going to be wet. Scattered thunderstorms in the morning becoming more widespread in the afternoon according to weather.com.
I don't know much about the Eagles' run game. I'm assuming it's decent?

Just looking at the board and noticed that the consensus is split for this weekend:

View attachment 52532

I guess I'll post a couple of things based on why I think either team will take this one:

Eagles:
1) Curious to see if the Patriots can both defend and contain Hurts. He's athletic and obviously, it was an issue last season.
2) Several young players in the secondary and there's a level of concern when it comes to whether or not they can prevent big plays.
3) Their pass rush is brutal.

Patriots
1) Their ground game with Stevenson/Elliot is solid (both also dangerous out of the backfield), and I think O'Brien and Jones will do a good job mixing things up where they'll create a few opportunities in the passing game
2) I think they'll get pressure defensively both from the edge and potentially inside, and I think they'll force Hurts to rush some throws and it could lead to a couple of turnovers, whether it's an interception and/or possibly a strip sack.
3) While this receiving corps isn't a "great" group as a whole, it's probably the best one they've had in recent years. The two rookies were a pleasant surprise and obviously grew a lot in preseason, and I feel like Demario Douglas and Kayshon Boutte will be difference makers at times. A lot of quickness off the snap overall, and they'll provide outlets in situations where they have to get the ball out quick.

Obviously, post your own take on this weekend from both sides, but I do feel like it's not as uneven as a few people might believe it to be. :cool:
IMO, last season alot is being said of the eagles pass rush. Personally I feel the jets and 49ers are better! The eagles send 7,8 rushers to overwhelm offensive lines. That then asks alot of thier secondary. Mac is accurate, can audible out of something when he sees the formation. The key will be establishing the run, it's week 1, will be humid get those pass rushers gassed.

Aggressive defenses like the eagles want to rush. how to frustrate them is short, quick throws. That will get them play up on the line of scrimmage. That opens ups lanes for juju, gisecki and HH.

On defense.. we just need to stay aggressive against the run, we have all these young athletes, utilizing Marpu and white young rookies with athletic ability will be key. Take AJ brown out the game by doubling him, and have gonzo on smith. It sounds easier said than done.. But certainly isn't impossible.

This game is going to be a good measuring stick for this Team. IF we fall two scores behind and look lethargic that won't be good for confidence going forward. I hope we play aggressive from start to finish. It's been started but this is a Big year for Mac to see if he's a Franchise QB.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back