PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

I am the one advocating hire the best guy. Mayo is the one who says he sees color.
You're the guy that constantly questions the qualifications of black guys over white ones.

I remember a time when you used to say the Owners should be able to hire who they want, except of course when they're black.

Again, same story I told Ring6. Mayo basically said that it should be a diverse group, with the idea that it shouldn't matter who you are but how you perform and if you can help the team win football games.

From Mike Reiss this morning:

"It means a lot. My grandfather, growing up, would always tell me stories about how sometimes the best person doesn't get the job. I'm very grateful to be here. I'm very grateful to be a good coach. And I just happen to be Black. I think that's how we should operate. We want to get the best people here, equal opportunity, and really, at the end of the day, we get judged on wins and losses." -- Mayo, to ESPN, on what it means to be the first Black coach in Patriots history

I guess in the end, like ring said, we will see how he views building this team and through what lens he views his team and locker room. I thought some of his comments throw up a big red flag. I hope he was just trying to appease those people in the media, NFL and corporate advertisers who like to hear all that DEI. And hopefully he doesn't run things the way some of that came across

It's not an interpretation, those are his words. I feel like he clarified what he meant in Reiss' comments, yet you're still referring back to the same thing. There have also been countless bits written over the last two years about how he's viewed by the players and guys in the locker room, and the fact they were at risk of losing him tells you that other people outside the organization have also been impressed by him.

As are all of us. But people here have also been clamoring for change and innovation. You can't achieve one without the other.
Of course it’s an interpretation. What you “feel” is subject to interpretation.
I will stick with my approach of judging by actions instead of parsing comments to pretend I can read his mind. He said something troubling, and seemed to say it with conviction. Now he is backtracking. That doesn’t mean he didn’t say it. What he really believes will show in his actions.

People here clamoring is not a factor I consider as support for a bad idea.
The least experienced HC I am aware of, abandoning the structure of the greatest dynasty in history and implementing systems he has no experience in, turning the franchise over to people he has no experience with is very troubling. Change is not always good. As far as innovation, we just got rid of the most innovative and successful coach the league has seen in a long time.
Quite a harsh reaction to losing a lot of close games with the worst qb play in the league.

I'm addressing this press conference. What Mayo said in in his 1st interview, how he looks at players and what he wants his locker room to be like.
By bringing up paranoid conservative talking pts and extrapolating them into something that isn't reality. He mentioned being a black HC twice, in his introduction about being proud to be the first and in response to a question.

He also said a hell of a lot more, about his philosophy being to listen to ALL people from all walks of life, race, sex, etc. He's a millennial. He doesn't view people the same way boomers do. He's open minded and said he would listen to others in a sort of brainstorming fashion which is always a good idea. Ultimately, he will make the decisions.

He also said he doesn't know it all and would listen to the experts. Which is great because a good man has to know his limitations. I found him to be candid and confident. I'm excited to see how all of this develops and have no concerns over anything you're bringing up.

Again, same story I told Ring6. Mayo basically said that it should be a diverse group, with the idea that it shouldn't matter who you are but how you perform and if you can help the team win football games.

From Mike Reiss this morning:

"It means a lot. My grandfather, growing up, would always tell me stories about how sometimes the best person doesn't get the job. I'm very grateful to be here. I'm very grateful to be a good coach. And I just happen to be Black. I think that's how we should operate. We want to get the best people here, equal opportunity, and really, at the end of the day, we get judged on wins and losses." -- Mayo, to ESPN, on what it means to be the first Black coach in Patriots history

You do realize that what he says now is exactly what Kraft said before Mayo responded with “No, I see color.”

The question is whether he has changed his thinking or changed what he wants to say publicly.

The least experienced HC I am aware of, abandoning the structure of the greatest dynasty in history and implementing systems he has no experience in, turning the franchise over to people he has no experience with is very troubling. Change is not always good. As far as innovation, we just got rid of the most innovative and successful coach the league has seen in a long time.
Quite a harsh reaction to losing a lot of close games with the worst qb play in the league.
spiderman-crying.gif

Of course it’s an interpretation. What you “feel” is subject to interpretation. I will stick with my approach of judging by actions instead of parsing comments to pretend I can read his mind. He said something troubling, and seemed to say it with conviction. Now he is backtracking. That doesn’t mean he didn’t say it. What he really believes will show in his actions.
Again, what you feel is in reaction to his words. But his words are what they are. The quote by Reiss isn't him backtracking. I doubt he feels like he has to, and it clarifies what he said on day one, which if you take all of it in context (I clipped out other parts from that opening press conference that essentially showed that).

But he likely doesn't care about the overreaction about two sentences from a 20-minute press conference. I'm still surprised people have latched onto that to the point where we're 39 pages in and it remains a key talking point.
And he hired and developed the guy who has now ascended into the role. Whether or not it plays out in a positive way remains to be seen, but I'm still surprised you're spending time beating the drum against someone who was hired by someone you hold with such reverence (and developed him to the point other teams considered him for their own head coaching position) rather than just sitting back and taking a wait-and-see approach.

Like you said, their record and progress over the course of the next couple of seasons will dictate his future. But we can't get there without letting it all play out.

You do realize that what he says now is exactly what Kraft said before Mayo responded with “No, I see color.”

The question is whether he has changed his thinking or changed what he wants to say publicly.
Of course I do. And he explained why he felt that way, along with other parts - which I already clipped, I'm not going to go back and re-paste them. Those explained his meaning, which is that you should respect the input and opinions from others regardless of their race/background, and the post by @Ross12 at one point about the locker room. The bit from Reiss this morning further clarified it.

I am the one advocating hire the best guy. Mayo is the one who says he sees color.
you are the one connecting those two points.

Again, what you feel is in reaction to his words. But his words are what they are. The quote by Reiss isn't him backtracking. I doubt he feels like he has to, and it clarifies what he said on day one, which if you take all of it in context (I clipped out other parts from that opening press conference that essentially showed that).

But he likely doesn't care about the overreaction about two sentences from a 20-minute press conference. I'm still surprised people have latched onto that to the point where we're 39 pages in and it remains a key talking point.

And he hired and developed the guy who has now ascended into the role. Whether or not it plays out in a positive way remains to be seen, but I'm still surprised you're spending time beating the drum against someone who was hired by someone you hold with such reverence (and developed him to the point other teams considered him for their own head coaching position) rather than just sitting back and taking a wait-and-see approach.

Like you said, their record and progress over the course of the next couple of seasons will dictate his future. But we can't get there without letting it all play out.
Again, your interpretation. I will choose to determine what he really believes from his actions.

It’s only a “talking point” because I said we will see based upon how he builds his staff and that moron who follows me around like a puppy implied I was racist. Then you jumped in.

I am not beating any drum. I am opining on a major decision by the team. I am concerned that he is the least experienced HC hire I can find. Should that not be a concern? And I am concerned because it’s looking like he may be importing schemes that he has no experience in. Should that not be a concern?

Are you suggesting no one express opinions on a message board because instead we should wait until after it plays out? Isn’t the point of the board to give opinions?

Can we go back to trashing Mac and ignore the racists? It’s a lot more fun.

Of course I do. And he explained why he felt that way, along with other parts - which I already clipped, I'm not going to go back and re-paste them. Those explained his meaning, which is that you should respect the input and opinions from others regardless of their race/background, and the post by @Ross12 at one point about the locker room. The bit from Reiss this morning further clarified it.
Kraft made a statement and Mayo disagreed.
Saying later the exact same thing Kraft said doesn’t seem to be clarifying, it seems to be backtracking.
So which does he really believe? Krafts comments that he disagreed with or krafts comments that he later mimicked? They were almost exactly the same words, that he first disagreed with and later said were his feelings.

Again, your interpretation. I will choose to determine what he really believes from his actions.

It’s only a “talking point” because I said we will see based upon how he builds his staff and that moron who follows me around like a puppy implied I was racist. Then you jumped in.
The "talking point" comment was a general comment, not directed purely at you. Albeit, I'm surprised you keep mentioning it.
I am not beating any drum. I am opining on a major decision by the team. I am concerned that he is the least experienced HC hire I can find. Should that not be a concern? And I am concerned because it’s looking like he may be importing schemes that he has no experience in. Should that not be a concern?
You can be concerned, but the guy you admire and hold in high regard put him in this position. And the fact other franchises considered hiring him sort of reinforces the fact that Bill made the right decision, and that he might be successful. It's OK to opine it, but again, I'm surprised you're so against it rather than to trust the judgement of the guy basically helped put him in this spot.
Are you suggesting no one express opinions on a message board because instead we should wait until after it plays out? Isn’t the point of the board to give opinions?
I won't even answer this.

Kraft made a statement and Mayo disagreed.
Saying later the exact same thing Kraft said doesn’t seem to be clarifying, it seems to be backtracking.
So which does he really believe? Krafts comments that he disagreed with or krafts comments that he later mimicked? They were almost exactly the same words, that he first disagreed with and later said were his feelings.
You - and some others - keep ignoring his subsequent comments during that opening press conference, and just latching on to what he said during his first few sentences. You also just keep dismissing the comments Reiss posted this morning, which I just don't understand. Especially since it sums it up pretty well.

They are connected if they conflict.
Sure but they haven't yet so why make the connection? Mayo's point was that he sees color because if you don't you can't see racism. He didn't say I see color because then i can prioritise hiring people of color.. People are making huge leaps from minimal information.

The "talking point" comment was a general comment, not directed purely at you. Albeit, I'm surprised you keep mentioning it.

You can be concerned, but the guy you admire and hold in high regard put him in this position. And the fact other franchises considered hiring him sort of reinforces the fact that Bill made the right decision, and that he might be successful. It's OK to opine it, but again, I'm surprised you're so against it rather than to trust the judgement of the guy basically helped put him in this spot.

I won't even answer this.
I don’t admire Kraft or hold him in high regard.
Belichick hired him to be a position coach.

When did I say I am “so against it”?

I have concerns. I don’t know how you wouldn’t have concerns about hiring the least experienced HC ever hired.

Sure but they haven't yet so why make the connection? Mayo's point was that he sees color because if you don't you can't see racism. He didn't say I see color because then i can prioritise hiring people of color.. People are making huge leaps from minimal information.
You can’t practice racism either if you don’t see color.

Look maybe it’s nothing, but he elaborated about making the locker room lol like society.
I don’t believe we should make football decisions based upon the color of someone’s skin.
Mayo hinted that possibly he does. Maybe he doesn’t. I dont know either way.

I don’t admire Kraft or hold him in high regard.
Belichick hired him to be a position coach.
I wasn't talking about Kraft - I was talking about Bill, who you obviously do hold in high regard. Bill hired him, and wouldn't have hired him nor kept him on if he didn't believe he was good at his job.
When did I say I am “so against it”?
You've said repeatedly you disagree with the hire.
I have concerns. I don’t know how you wouldn’t have concerns about hiring the least experienced HC ever hired.
Of course I do. Everyone is always going to have concerns and/or reservations about the unknowns. But as I pointed out in subsequent quotes, there's also a reason to believe that some things many of us were concerned with under Bill might be different moving forward.

Obviously, time will tell whether or not that's the case. But at the end of the day, he's now the coach, and I'm sure we'll judge him by what unfolds and honestly, March & April can't get here quick enough.

MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
Back