PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Jenkins Standing Out Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think a little of this is that he is the Old Vet on the team and Bill is sorta doing the "Lets go Michael, show them how its done" kinda respect thing. He has played in more game and training camps than anyone else and they want him to lead the way for the very young crew. Set a tone.

He acts as a baseline for the FO.

There appear to be mixed reviews on Jenkins. Jeff Howe said Jenkins was hit or miss. Part of the reason he was catching more passes from Brady may have been Jenkins does not play special teams. The rest of the team was working on special teams.

Donald Hayes stood out too....

Don't forget,
Percy Harvin: 9 games
Michael Jenkins: 16 games
Kyle Rudolph: TE

So he's durable.

And he caught 40 passes on a team where the top receiving threat was out half the year and the QB position's rating was 23rd out of 32.

I'm by no means sold on the guy, but I'll let the coaches run him through the paces and see if he fits.

Last edited:
I have no reason that Jenkins will be beaten out by Jones or a "quality UDFA". We may go with just the rookies, if they are ready. Or one of Jones, Jenkins or an UDFA will make the team.
We'll see how it works out. I'm assuming Amendola, Elelman, Dobson, Boyce will make it. That leaves 2 at most. Given the WR situation I do think we'll keep 6 + Slater. To select 2 (or 1 if we keep 5 plus Slater) you're looking at Jenkins, Jones, Moe, Thompkins, Harrison.

If the rookies and Jones look iffy then we're stuck keeping Jenkins. If the rookies, including that Jenkins, Jones, Moe, Thompkins, Harrison group, look good then I would prefer to keep the upside there. Make no mistake about it, that's a good group that could EASILY beat out Jenkins but only if a couple of them look ready to go Week 1.

Lets all hope Jenkins isn't starting for us. Not ragging on him, but we drafted 2 kids fairly high to come in and be difference makers. If Jenkins is starting, that means they are not ready, which is not good. The guy has zero speed, and that is something we badly need. If he is a reliable red zone target, I'm fine with that.

We'll see how it works out. I'm assuming Amendola, Elelman, Dobson, Boyce will make it. That leaves 2 at most. Given the WR situation I do think we'll keep 6 + Slater. To select 2 (or 1 if we keep 5 plus Slater) you're looking at Jenkins, Jones, Moe, Thompkins, Harrison.

If the rookies and Jones look iffy then we're stuck keeping Jenkins. If the rookies, including that Jenkins, Jones, Moe, Thompkins, Harrison group, look good then I would prefer to keep the upside there. Make no mistake about it, that's a good group that could EASILY beat out Jenkins but only if a couple of them look ready to go Week 1.

Don't forget Hawkins in that group as well.

If Michael Jenkins is standing out that doesn't bode well for the group as a whole.:D Seriously if that guy is Starting for us we'll be in trouble.

Why? Because he didn't do much with Christian Ponder as his QB? The best players will end up starting, and if Jenkins is that guy, then good for him.

Don't forget Hawkins in that group as well.
Yeah, he and any other legit talents I forgot make the point even further. There's a lot of guys competing. If the young guys look like they'll take a while a stabilizing place like Jenkins or Hawkins will be needed. If the young guy seem to "get it" then taking a chance on a younger talent would be more doable.

There appear to be mixed reviews on Jenkins. Jeff Howe said Jenkins was hit or miss. Part of the reason he was catching more passes from Brady may have been Jenkins does not play special teams. The rest of the team was working on special teams.

This happens every year during camps. One writer will report that player X looks great, crisp, off to a good start, etc. Another writer watching that same practice will note that player X struggled with points A, B, and C. It always seems like an exercise in subjectivity.

It is OTAs. I don't get excited either way about players. That said, I think people underrate Jenkins. He is no stud WR by any stretch of the imagination, but he has been a pretty good #2/#3 WR for most of his career. He could be a pretty decent addition for this club.

Jenkins has had 40 or more receptions for every one of the last 7 years. Yes, he is used to be the #3 receiving target. I see no reason why he cannot be the #3 WR or the #4 WR for the patriots. He should be able to produce as well for the patriot passing offense and Brady as he did for the MINN running offense and Ponder. One would expect the numbers he had in Atlanta, more than 50 catches a year.

And yes, of course, I hope that Jenkins is beaten out by someone better. That's almost always the case.

My semi-bold prediction is he makes the roster over Edelman. It's actually setting up that w ay already with him looking good and Edelman not able to get on the field.

Pretty sure Pats aren't on the hook for anything if they cut Edelman so I won't be surprised if it happens. I'm expecting a WR depth chart of:

Amendola
Dobson
Jones
Jenkins
Boyce

Maybe Hawkins or Moe make 6th (not counting Slater as a real WR).

This happens every year during camps. One writer will report that player X looks great, crisp, off to a good start, etc. Another writer watching that same practice will note that player X struggled with points A, B, and C. It always seems like an exercise in subjectivity.

That's very true. We've seen guys look great only to fizzle out while others come up big around the time camp starts. The only downside to OTA's and minicamps is the fact they're coming on the heels of 3 months without any football being played...causes us to get a little crazy :cool:

I don't know why everybody is surprised with Mike Jenkins.

Sure he has the pejorative nickname "molassess" but he has been in the NFL for a long time, drafted as a First Round pick. He appears to be a Pros pro. Every year he catches about 40-45 balls, so he is the very definition of a "possession receiver".

Fred Biletnikoff never had any speed but his possession catching got him into the HOF. So did Raymond Berry, who never had any speed either. For that matter, Welker was nothing but a possession receiver in the slot.

"Possession Receiver" is NOT a dirty word. :)

Jenkins ain't no Biletnikoff. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
I'll be glad if he can make the 53 man roster and contribute on a weekly basis. The Pats do need someone to STEP UP though after overhauling their WR corps. I hope that Amendola, Jenkins, and one or two of the rookies answer the call.

My semi-bold prediction is he makes the roster over Edelman. It's actually setting up that w ay already with him looking good and Edelman not able to get on the field.

Pretty sure Pats aren't on the hook for anything if they cut Edelman so I won't be surprised if it happens. I'm expecting a WR depth chart of:

Amendola
Dobson
Jones
Jenkins
Boyce

Maybe Hawkins or Moe make 6th (not counting Slater as a real WR).

I'm interested to know why Hawkins or Moe may make the team, but Edelman isn't in your expected WR depth chart. The guy can do so much for the team and is the ONLY guy there with experience in the system.

Last edited:
I'm interested to know why Hawkins or Moe may make the team, but Edelman isn't in your expected WR depth chart. The guy can do so much for the team and is the ONLY guy there with experience in the system.

The only reason I think Edelman might not make the team is health.

While I don't subscribe to the (IMO) myth that certain players are injury-prone, if he misses a lot of camp with this injury and other guys like Moe or Hawkins step up playing a similar position, I could see BB cutting bait. Again, one only needs to look at how the contract was structured to see how the Pats are thinking.

I actually like Edelman a lot, love the spark he provides, but the cliche you can't make the club from the tub always holds true. Even if he gets cut, no one was beating down his door in FA so he could be back.

The only reason I think Edelman might not make the team is health.

While I don't subscribe to the (IMO) myth that certain players are injury-prone, if he misses a lot of camp with this injury and other guys like Moe or Hawkins step up playing a similar position, I could see BB cutting bait. Again, one only needs to look at how the contract was structured to see how the Pats are thinking.

I actually like Edelman a lot, love the spark he provides, but the cliche you can't make the club from the tub always holds true. Even if he gets cut, no one was beating down his door in FA so he could be back.

I can see that.

However, I'm not sure Hawkins or Moe are better options than the only WR who has experience in the system. If we had a prime Deion Branch or someone else with years in the system on the roster, then maybe - - but to go into the season with 6 WR's all brand new seems a bit tricky (given our team's recent history on new WRs being able to learn it's route tree).

Last edited:
Jenkins ain't no Biletnikoff. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
I'll be glad if he can make the 53 man roster and contribute on a weekly basis. The Pats do need someone to STEP UP though after overhauling their WR corps. I hope that Amendola, Jenkins, and one or two of the rookies answer the call.

What I started to say and then didn't, was that early in camp you would EXPECT the old pros to look good while the rookires are trying to find their feet. If the old pros can't then you probably have no depth. If they are the only ones to show anything and the rookies not much, then you have only an average WR corps. But Aaron is already showing stuff on Day 2.

Question: Would a Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola and Jenkins set of starting receivers be better or worse than the 2012 assemblage?

Why? Because he didn't do much with Christian Ponder as his QB? The best players will end up starting, and if Jenkins is that guy, then good for him.

Because his nickname is Molasses Mike. That says enough for me.

In all seriousness, because like I said, we drafted Dobson in the 2nd round. He is supposed to be ready to come in and start. He was a 4 year player in college. I understand that may not be the case right away...but we need speed on the outside. Badly. Molasses Mike doesn't give us that.

Also, doesn't you saying...if the best players end up starting prove my point? If Jenkins is better than Dobson, our rookie 2nd round pick. Is that a good thing?

Last edited:
Because his nickname is Molasses Mike. That says enough for me.

You and I are in tough shape because one of two things will eventually happen:

1) He could make the team and emerge as a great player in this offense which will make the above statement look ridiculous.

or

2) He'll get cut and someone will bring this thread back up and laugh at me for supporting him and pondering his effect in the offense after he played well on the second day of OTA's.

The joys of making assumptions about a player when it's not even June yet :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back