PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miami traded for T Bryant McKinnie and he will start vs Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this come up on ESPN Scorecenter on my phone, didn't know they traded for him on Monday. Is this guy still any good ? Will it effect our pass rush ?

Chandler should have a field day.

"McKinnie has had a bit of a turbulent career since being the seventh overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft, often not living up to his billing.

That changed last season, when he played sparingly in the regular season for Baltimore but started during the team's run to winning Super Bowl XLVII.

A big part of Joe Flacco's success in attacking defenses and throwing the ball deep was the pass protection McKinnie and others provided up front. Flacco threw 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions in the postseason with McKinnie protecting his blind side.

It's been a different story this season, however, as McKinnie's play has regressed and the Ravens offensive line has had difficulty protecting Flacco and establishing the run.

In fact, Jeff Zrebiec of The Baltimore Sun notes that McKinnie has been inactive the past two weeks since Baltimore traded for former Jacksonville Jaguars left tackle Eugene Monroe:"
Bleacher reprt

McKinnie was benched in Baltimore and their o-line sucks. I am not all that worried about McKinnie fixing the Dolphins' crappy o-line. Trading for McKinnie was a Hail Mary by the Dolphins.

McKinnie was benched in Baltimore and their o-line sucks. I am not all that worried about McKinnie fixing the Dolphins' crappy o-line. Trading for McKinnie was a Hail Mary by the Dolphins.

Dunno. Sometimes a change of scenery is what's needed. Hope not.

Maybe he can make another one of these before tomorrow:

Attachments

• 1671136h.jpg
    1671136h.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 61
McKinnie used to be one of the most talented tackles in the league. His career at Miami was one of the best I can remember, and so I always had a bit of an interest in him. However, what I learned about him over the years is that, even at Miami, and much more so with Minnesota, what has always held him back is what sits on top of his shoulders. He may be the dumbest guy in football. The "Love Boat" and this year's Ravens party bus incidents also indicate to me that the guy is not exactly high on the character scale.

So, purely my opinion seasoned heavily with my own biases of course, I don't see him as having the intellect to pick up a new offense within a few days, I don't think he has any history with the Philbin/Sherman offense, it certainly wasn't what they ran in Miami, Minnesota, or Baltimore, and so I'd guess that the Dolphins will have to simplify things for him this week. Thus it is potentially a good week for some creativity by the Patriots on passing downs.

On the other hand, with Wilfork and Mayo gone, and Kelly probably out, I see the Patriots defense as being somewhat vulnerable to a power running game between the tackles, and a short passing game with Tannehill running 3-step drops and rollouts. Tannehill has been vulnerable to mistakes but he is athletic, and after watching Smith last week against the Patriots, I'm a bit concerned.

This tells you all you need to know about the state of the Dolphins' O-Line. That a scrub like McKinnie, who was benched, is an immediate starter less than one week after being traded for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents