PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather PI Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
I though the Gronk call was worse, the linebacker runs into him, what else is he going to do aside from give him a little shove?

Said the same as well.. In fact, their calling Gronk for a penalty should have meant that Wallace was penalized as well..

As stated in the Post game thread, the officiating was absolutely horrible. In fact, it was worse than the Pitt/Seattle SB in which the league handed Pitt the game.

On the Edleman non-call he should off taken a dive. It works in soccer and it would have worked here. Instead the refs displayed their slight bias to the team that was losing.

On the Meriweather PI, I think it was legit. Yes they were both going for the ball, but Meriweather hit the receiver before the ball got there. The rule sucks (i wish there was a minor and major infractions), but that's the rule.

Wrong. Watch the replay. Meriweather had position. Wallace actually initiates the contact with Meriweather and prevents Meriweather from being able to make the interception.

ON the PI call, it could have gone either way...which means you do NOT call it

it could have been OPI even easier than DPI, tahts why you dont call that sh*t

but i didnt see the end of that play initially, i was too busy yelling at the TV for the BLATANT holding that was going on in that play against i think wilfork...most holds i could understand not calling, that one however NO WAY....that play should have never happened

Said the same as well.. In fact, their calling Gronk for a penalty should have meant that Wallace was penalized as well..

As stated in the Post game thread, the officiating was absolutely horrible. In fact, it was worse than the Pitt/Seattle SB in which the league handed Pitt the game.

Yeah if that was PI then Tony Gonzales has never caught a pass. Brutal call, but expected given the calls in general last night.

Wrong. Watch the replay. Meriweather had position. Wallace actually initiates the contact with Meriweather and prevents Meriweather from being able to make the interception.

Wrong......meriweather ran right through him to get to the ball....the defender cannot initiate contact that way before the ball gets there

I though the Gronk call was worse, the linebacker runs into him, what else is he going to do aside from give him a little shove?

I think we can thank Roddy White for bringing that type of play to the refs' attention.

A few years ago I'd say good non-call. But the league has gone so far in eliminating intent as a factor in making calls that -- the way the games are officiated now -- it should have been a penalty. By today's standards Edelman was very defenseless (big term these days) after signaling and making a fair catch.

In calling for a fair catch a player is suppose to stay still and not make forward steps to help anyone who did not see the signal or the FC it was simply a light tap. If Edelman had been classless he could have fell over to get the extra yards.

Officiating was downright terrible last night. I think Jonathan Scott held TBC on almost every passing down and never got called. Marginal calls on Meriweather and Gronkowski, and I also give a hearty WTF to the illegal group celebration call. Interesting call on the chop block too considering it's unlikely Law Firm could have known Light came in to engage the rusher at the last second.

On the Edleman non-call he should off taken a dive.

Ugh. Yes, I can see diving and faking injuries becoming a bigger and bigger part of the NFL, as penalties have more and more influence over the outcome of a game. The league needs to be very wary of going down the road of zero-tolerance/intent-is-irrelevant, because it could adversely affect the product on the field.

Last edited:
Officiating was downright terrible last night. I think Jonathan Scott held TBC on almost every passing down and never got called. Marginal calls on Meriweather and Gronkowski, and I also give a hearty WTF to the illegal group celebration call. Interesting call on the chop block too considering it's unlikely Law Firm could have known Light came in to engage the rusher at the last second.

As much as I hated the chop block call, it was correct. One player going high and one player going low presents a safety concern for the defender. Yes, they did it accidentally, but it still happened.

Wrong......meriweather ran right through him to get to the ball....the defender cannot initiate contact that way before the ball gets there

WHAT? Meriweather did no such thing.. Clearly don't know what you are talking about.. Wallace is the one who initiated the contact.

Not only was TBC continually held, I saw a couple blatent hands to the face penalties by the Pitt LT go uncalled.

As much as I hated the chop block call, it was correct. One player going high and one player going low presents a safety concern for the defender. Yes, they did it accidentally, but it still happened.

I figured that by the letter of the rule, they'd have to call it. It just seemed unfortunate at the time as I doubt there was any intent involved on BJGE's part.

Did anyone else think this call was bogus?

I saw BM have position on the WR, and I saw him playing the ball. Then I saw the WR come out of his break and run into the back of Meriweather, and get a PI call.

Did anyone else see it that way?

Yup, the call was pure garbage.

The worst thing about it was that the ref was in the middle of signaling an incomplete pass when Wallace started yelling for a flag - literally, midway through his signaling of an incompletion, the ref reached for the flag and through it out. All b/c Wallace objected.

Truly embarrassing.

I will admit that I do not know all the ins and outs of the rules, however on that PI call on Meriweather, it looked like he had a better chance to catch that ball when he was bumped into by the Steeler player. He had his eye on the ball and did not see the Steeler player coming in.

Needless to say we were ECSTATIC when they got NOTHING from that iffy call... lol

On the contact made on edelman's fair catch, i bet no one was angrier at the no call than matt slater.

Expect to see alot of PI's called against the pats secondary next week with christ incarnate coming into town.

TBC was held on almost every play last night and still was in the backfield all night.

I find it amusing that most media people believe NFL officiating is not biased. There are clear influences in this league and a commish who is a plant as well.

We have had at least two superbowl runs ended due to intentionally misleading officiating, IMO.

This game was just biz as usual. The Steelers have ALWAYS benefitted from officiating since I have watched football, and only teams like the Colts seem to have weaseled their way further into the inner circle.

The fact is that if the officiating was viewed as a problem by the powers that be, it would have been corrected ages ago.

On the contact made on edelman's fair catch, i bet no one was angrier at the no call than matt slater.

Yeah I was thinking this too. I was appalled at the lack of a flag on that. It was so blatant, a first grader could have officiated that better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye