Welcome to PatsFans.com

Meriweather PI Call

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by xmarkd400x, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Did anyone else think this call was bogus?

I saw BM have position on the WR, and I saw him playing the ball. Then I saw the WR come out of his break and run into the back of Meriweather, and get a PI call.

Did anyone else see it that way?
  2. bigcountry75

bigcountry75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This is exactly what I told my brother last night....I thought BM stayed running on the same plane across the field making a play on the ball and Mike wallace drifted back into BM causing the contact and getting the flag....
  3. Lampshade

Lampshade Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That was the only call that really annoyed me. Meriweather clearly had better position on the ball. Wallace clearly lost track of the flight and ran into him.
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +705 / 5 / -3

I thought it was very ticky tack and could have even been called offensive PI, but who really cares? The Pats won. No reason to start crying about calls.
  5. mipatsfan

mipatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Saw it the same way but somehow knew the zebras would do something to give the Squeeler's a break. Hope we don't get that same terrible call next week. Justice was served by them missing the field goal though!
  6. Jared

Jared Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I was watching the game with my roommate (a Bears fan). He started complaining about the call even before I did. Merriweather was basically penalized for playing perfect defense.
  7. PatsSox363804

PatsSox363804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I said in the game thread that it was offensive PI if anything. Meriweather had position and was looking at the ball and the Steeler WR initiated the contact. Horrible, but expected call in the Polian-NFL.

The refs were in the bag for Pittsburgh all night. Fortunately Brady and co. would not be denied.
  8. SanAngeloState

SanAngeloState Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yep, totally bogus. He had a better chance at it than the stealer. I think he got his hand on it. He didn't interfere at all, just going for the ball. Sometimes I Think the refs feel sorry for the offensive team when they can't get anything going and give them gifts.
  9. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 1 / -2

It reminded me of one of those plays in basketball where a shooter will jump into a defender as he's shooting to get a foul call. Always felt like cheese when it happened, and last night was f***ing Limburger.
  10. Haley

Haley Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Yeah it looked pretty suspect. Meriweather seemed to make contact but he was clearly facing the ball and making a play on it. Bad call.
  11. JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

get used to it, the colts are here next week:rolleyes:
  12. abdul7

abdul7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Ok, can I bring up another in my opinion no call in the 3rd quarter against us,,,,fair catch by Edelman, a Pittsburgh player hit him quite hard on his shoulder. Arnt u not supposed to touch the player making the fair catch ? Maybe I am wrong, but didn't want to start a thread to ask the question. Thanks. Abdul
  13. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

Even worse than the actual play was the fact that the Steelers bench and the fans were livid and then the Ref pulled out his flag an hour later, after Merriwether was already being congratulated by other Patriots.
  14. Lloyd_Christmas

Lloyd_Christmas I can delete my own crap! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

The flag was delayed because the ref initially thought the same thing as us... both players were going for the ball and contact was made.

However, the player calling for the flag and the reaction of the crowd changed his mind I think.

On the fair catch non-call, the ref started to throw it, but pulled back then said something to Edleman... probably along the line of "I decided it was incidental and so I didn't call it".
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  15. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -2

No Jersey Selected

A few years ago I'd say good non-call. But the league has gone so far in eliminating intent as a factor in making calls that -- the way the games are officiated now -- it should have been a penalty. By today's standards Edelman was very defenseless (big term these days) after signaling and making a fair catch.
  16. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +276 / 18 / -43

#50 Jersey

Was discussed in the post game thread.. And yes, I saw it the way you explained as well.
  17. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -3

#32 Jersey

I though the Gronk call was worse, the linebacker runs into him, what else is he going to do aside from give him a little shove?
  18. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +276 / 18 / -43

#50 Jersey

My understanding is that there is a NO TOLERANCE policy on hitting the Returner on a fair catch.. I know that Slater and Arrington have been flagged for doing a lot less in terms of touching the punt returner.
  19. Horace's Ivories

Horace's Ivories PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

My first thought was "obvious offensive PI - cool" - i guess not
  20. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

On the Edleman non-call he should off taken a dive. It works in soccer and it would have worked here. Instead the refs displayed their slight bias to the team that was losing.

On the Meriweather PI, I think it was legit. Yes they were both going for the ball, but Meriweather hit the receiver before the ball got there. The rule sucks (i wish there was a minor and major infractions), but that's the rule.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.