PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather apologizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe cause the Merriweather hit was downright dirty and the Harrison hit was legal. Brandon should have apologized. James Harrison had nothing to apologize for. I don't see how you can look at those two hits and think any differently.

That's your opinion as a Pitttsburgh Steeler fan.

Thanks for participating. We'll give that the weight it deserves.

In the outside world, the whole nation is laughing at James Harrison compounding his problem with his foolish and childish reaction.

James Harrison made Brandon Merriwether look like King Solomon.

That's your opinion as a Pitttsburgh Steeler fan.

Thanks for participating. We'll give that the weight it deserves.

In the outside world, the whole nation is laughing at James Harrison compounding his problem with his foolish and childish reaction.

James Harrison made Brandon Merriwether look like King Solomon.

Harrison does deserve sympathy in the sense that the league has allowed the Steelers to get away with dirty hit after dirty hit after dirty hit.

The problem has been compounded by the fact that every mediot goes out of their way to apologize for this. Ditto for the Ravens.

Cribbs was stationary since two defenders were holding him. Harrison had several steps and seconds to alter not nailing him with his helmet on the head. Likewise, the WR was running in a straight line on a level plane.

Harrison lunged for the head. Absolutely zero reason for it.

The "legal hit" excuse was such BS. If you have plenty of time to alter and the action is not material, there is absolutely zero reason to luanch at someone's head. Considering the two concussions, it's the dirtiest of all the plays.

Maybe cause the Merriweather hit was downright dirty and the Harrison hit was legal. Brandon should have apologized. James Harrison had nothing to apologize for. I don't see how you can look at those two hits and think any differently.

Why would a Steeler fan register and talk on a Patriots website, unless the teams are playing this upcoming week? I just don't get the need to troll.

Why would a Steeler fan register and talk on a Patriots website, unless the teams are playing this upcoming week? I just don't get the need to troll.

Pittsburgh has been Bridesmaid to the Patriots the past decade and their fans can't handle that.

But second place is still an accomplishment, Closing Time!

No kidding, the kid didn't assasinate the queen or anything :rolleyes:

Just lead with his head, like many a player before him. He took a 50k lump and will learn. Lay off for christ sake. It wasn't an intentional spear, it was bad technique but I don't honestly think he had an intention to injure anyone.

Typical league overreact on this whole BS thing. It's all part of an effort to PR an 18 game season, by making them look "tough" on player safety, when they honestly couldn't give a rats' *****.

Unfortunately for you, they are giving a rat's arse about player safety. It's slow, but they are doing it. From the changes to the Wedge, to not lining up over the Long Snapper to not leaving your feet to hit a defenseless player. They are making an attempt to cut down on Concussions. Right or wrong. But they are doing it. Because of the number of players who are suffering from the long term effects of multiple concussions.

I think what Brandon did was great. As was his admitting earlier in the year that he wasn't starting because he'd been free-lancing too much. It shows a sign of maturity and his striving to get better.

BTW, Meriweather did more than just lead with his helmet. He also left his feet and hit a defenseless player. Very similar to the play where Ryan Clark hit Welker a few years ago. Are you saying you weren't up in arms screaming about how Ryan Clark tried to intentionally hurt Welker??

The plays were very similar. The difference is that Meriweather admitted he went high and said he's going to shift his target area a bit.

For one I joined a long time before you did. And second, I didn't believe what I said was trolling. I honestly don't see how one can even argue the point. And almost all unbiased observers agree the Harrison hit was fine and the Merriweather hit was dirty.

You don't see because you have zero idea what you are looking at.

There's a lot of that going around, here as well, this week...

There is an old saying, just because you got away with something doesn't make it right. Robinson should get his fine reduced dramatically if not lifted. Harrison deserves his on principle alone - which the league acknowledged. Meriweather's was the poster boy hit for what not to do on multiple levels. He's lucky Heap wasn't concussed, if in fact that's the case...and who knows since players largely remain reluctant to acknowledge it because by and large they still fear the long term financial consequences of being seen as soft or a risk more than they fear the long term health risks. What he did acknowledge is a neck/shoulder stinger and those are often inches or less from being Stingley'd.

It's a tough, at times vicious, contact sport. Nearly everyone who plays it at this level for any length of time walks away with some form of long term disability. Walking with a limp and not being able to play with your kids because of wear and tear that was inherent in your line of work or even because some jackhole targeted your knees is one thing. Losing your life to deepening depression and dementia is another whole level of disability altogether. Anything they do to limit that is a step in the right direction. This isn't how the game was always played. Lots of things have changed over the years, from the equipment to the size and speed of the players to the rules of engagement, and as Rodney pointed out players in this league are coached to make adjustments.

That sign Bill has hanging in the hallway at Gillette cuts both ways. If you don't want to be here you don't have to be here. When they start making it mandatory for players - and often fantasy stars on offense - to sit out following concussions you guys will be wailing just as much because something is not fair and is furthermore dampening your entertainment value. Better to punish the perps now than the victims increasingly over a lifetime. If guys can't play the game effectively within the rules...they don't have to be here. Same goes for fans who can't grasp simple logic. There is a generation out there - and not just playing football - that has grown up largely oblivious to consequence. They got swagger instead...born of a sense of entitlement. Shame on the generation that raised them. Let this be a lesson to them...and their enablers. Like Bill says, swagger never won a thing. Talent, unselfish teamwork, disciplined execution, mental toughness creating opportunity wins championships. Swagger is often a by-product of that process, which is why so few teams manage to repeat or even remain competitive.

You want to watch things blown up, go play your video games... Like Brady noted is some of his young teamates favorite passtime - if you want to win, heck if you want to get on or stay on the field here - go listen to your coaches and watch game film and study your playbook in your free time.

Meriweather seems to want to man up and move on. His fanboys should let him because that's in everyone's best interest.

It's amazing how idiotic some of these opinions are.

Hey, thank god we didn't have the moon fall out of the sky because of the hit Merriweather laid on Heap. Makes sense if you clown with this "logic"

Heap isn't paralyzed for once simple reason.

The hit wasn't violent enough to cause a concussion much less for Heap to miss the rest of the game.

Period

First off, the hit was violent enough to cause a concussion. Or did you not notice Heap lying on the ground for near 5 minutes. That wasn't him catching his breath.

It's shear luck that Heap was able to get up and walk away. Also, Heap didn't return to the game for quite some time after the hit.

A 6'5" TE went high to catch a ball. A 5'11" safety went to hit him and based on the equation of two bodies at high speed moving multi dimensional, a glancing blow was delivered.

A penalty? YES A chewing out by BB? Yes

National hysteria? Ahhh...well...no.

No wonder the NFL does this. The buffoons bite every time.

A glancing blow? You clearly were watching a different game. Meriweather's helmet hit Heap's dead on and it was Meriweather's arms pushing into Heap's chest that made it look "glancing". It was anything but.

Meriweather's hit was fine worthy. He left his feet and hit a defenseless receiver. He also hit that receiver with a helmet to helmet hit because Meriweather went high.

You should make sure you include yourself in the idiotic opinions and buffoon category with statements like you've made.

Slightly off topic, but Jerod Mayo implied that Meriweather's hit did help the Patriots for the remainder of the game.

It Is What It Is - Jerod Mayo on D&C: Brandon Meriweather hit ‘changed game’ vs. Ravens

Talking about teammate Brandon Meriweather’s hit on Ravens tight end Todd Heap last Sunday, Mayo said the hit did have an affect on the game. “I wouldn’t say it gave us a spark, but at the same time, it kind of kept them out of the middle of the field, and that’s what we needed,” he said, adding: “That hit kind of changed the game a little bit. Yeah, I would say that.”

BTW, Meriweather did more than just lead with his helmet. He also left his feet and hit a defenseless player. Very similar to the play where Ryan Clark hit Welker a few years ago. Are you saying you weren't up in arms screaming about how Ryan Clark tried to intentionally hurt Welker??

The plays were very similar. The difference is that Meriweather admitted he went high and said he's going to shift his target area a bit.

Now I know you couldn't possibly have re-watched either play. Clark had fullspeed momentum and demolished Welker. Meriweather was moving laterally (as if going to where the ball was going) then stopped and made a 180-degree turn while jumping to dislodge a ball. The two hits were not even remotely similar.

shmessy

You miss my point and this is a serious matter.

Heap isn't paralyzed because the hit wasn't hard enough to inflict a concussion much less keep Heap out of the game.

Had Merriweather decided to explicitly "headhunt" and go after Heap to paralyze; he would of and Heap would most likely be parayzed right now.

As far as "launching" goes, how exactly does a 5'11" safety make contact on a 6'5" TE leaping TE? Tippy toes? Levitation?

Please notice that I said a penalty was legit as well as a chewing out. This is because it was not smart football vs "headhunting".

Last I looked, Heap can't just 90 inches into the air. With Heap being so much larger than Meriweather to begin with, there is even less of a reason for Meriweather to need to launch himself at Heap and lead with his helmet. In fact, your mentioning of the heights and such give even more credence for Meriweather to NOT launch himself at high at Heap.

First off, the hit was violent enough to cause a concussion. Or did you not notice Heap lying on the ground for near 5 minutes. That wasn't him catching his breath.

It's shear luck that Heap was able to get up and walk away. Also, Heap didn't return to the game for quite some time after the hit.

Players who suffer a concussion are not allowed back in the game. Heap hurt his neck and was never concussed.

"EVEN SCHLERETH"?:confused:

I hope that's not meant to be proprietary knowledge or intuitive insight.

Again, what part of no concussion/went back into the game is not understood? The two are not exclusive the hit looked "viscious" because of mistiming
Miss the receiver on the way up and glance on the way down.

If this was so intentional, we have a rather pathetic headhunter.

Doctors do get sued for screwing up. They are also get sued unfairly.

Ambulance chasers at patsfans.com

It doesn't matter whether or not Heap received a concussion. Not one iota. What matters is that Meriweather left his feet, led with his helmet and hit a defenseless receiver. That is what he was fined for. Because of the rule that was instituted 2 years ago. And one of the reasons it was instituted was because of the hit by Ryan Clark on Wes Welker.

Players who suffer a concussion are not allowed back in the game. Heap hurt his neck and was never concussed.

Dabruinz never said it caused a concussion, merely that it was violent enough to cause a concussion - - Merriwether missed the proper lobe by fractions of an inch.

And to your wording of "Heap hurt his neck" - - epic fail. MERRIWETHER hurt Heap's neck.

MoLewisRocks is exactly right. This isn't some kid's video game. I'm guessing the divide on this subject on this (and probably every other) forum is age-based with with divide occurring around 25-30.

Last edited:
Dabruinz never said it caused a concussion, merely that it was violent enough to cause a concussion - - Merriwether missed the proper lobe by fractions of an inch.

And to your wording of "Heap hurt his neck" - - epic fail. MERRIWETHER hurt Heap's neck.

:rolleyes: Way to nitpick for absolutely no reason. It's 100% obvious that I didn't mean Heap hurt his own neck by himself. Good grief, it's like all logic is thrown out the window on this board.

And "violent enough" to cause concussion is meaningless, ALL helmet to helmet hits are enough to cause concussion if in the "right" spot.

Anyway, Brandon messed up by putting his head down near the moment of impact but the alternative is to keep his own neck at an unsafe angle. He did not go after the head though. He barely left his feet anyway and Heap was coming down AND forward. Brandon screwed up the judgement and it was a dangerous head collision. I still am not convinced it is suspension worthy going forward.

MoLewisRocks is exactly right. This isn't some kid's video game. I'm guessing the divide on this subject on this (and probably every other) forum is age-based with with divide occurring around 25-30.

Well the "player protection" is just "help the offense". When the defense loses the ability to knock the ball loose as it arrives, it loses a key element of its game and that only benefits the offense. It all comes down with how they hand out suspensions or how they threaten to hand them out I suppose. Anyone care to post some videos of examples of proper hitting technique of receivers over the middle without leading with your helmet.

Last edited:

Like you, I thought that was the case. That players weren't allowed to go back into a game if they suffered a concussion. Then I read the NFL statements/rules on concussions. There is actually no statement that says a player can't return to a game if he has suffered a concussion. In fact, there is no rule that says he can't return to the game if he lost consciousness either. It's merely suggested that the player not return.

NFL.com news: NFL outlines for players steps taken to address concussions

NFL Synopsis on Concussions said:
The NFL and NFLPA medical advisors prepared a summary of key factors in deciding when NFL players can safely return to the same game or practice. These factors have been identified in medical studies and are used by NFL team medical staffs. They emphasize that concussions in the NFL should continue to be managed conservatively and include the following specific points:

1. The player should be completely asymptomatic and have normal neurological test results, including mental status testing at rest and after physical exertion, before returning to play.

2. Symptoms to be taken into account include confusion, problems with immediate recall, disorientation to time, place and person, anterograde and retrograde amnesia, fatigue, and blurred vision.

3. If an NFL player sustains a loss of consciousness, as determined by the team medical staff, he should not return to the same game or practice.

4. NFL team physicians and athletic trainers will continue to exercise their medical judgment and expertise in treating concussions, including considering any history of concussions in a player.

· Neuropsychological testing has been expanded for all NFL players. NFL players who have been removed from a game due to a concussion will be re-tested during the season as part of the medical staff's treatment of the player and to assist in determining when players can return to practice and play. Each club will select the neuropsychological testing provider of its choice.

· Player safety rules relating to the use of the helmet will continue to be closely enforced. This will include strict enforcement of the requirement that chin straps on helmets be completely and properly buckled so that the helmet provides the maximum protection.

Heap could have easily passed the sideline test with a mild concussion considering how long he was on the turn and on the sidelines before returning to the game.

Like you, I thought that was the case. That players weren't allowed to go back into a game if they suffered a concussion. Then I read the NFL statements/rules on concussions. There is actually no statement that says a player can't return to a game if he has suffered a concussion. In fact, there is no rule that says he can't return to the game if he lost consciousness either. It's merely suggested that the player not return.

NFL.com news: NFL outlines for players steps taken to address concussions

Well we have 0 cases of a player with a known concussion returning and we also have 0 reports of Heap suffering a concussion. I think we can assume in this case that Heap was very fortunately not concussed, but the wording is interesting nonetheless.

There's a lot of that going around, here as well, this week...

There is an old saying, just because you got away with something doesn't make it right. Robinson should get his fine reduced dramatically if not lifted. Harrison deserves his on principle alone - which the league acknowledged. Meriweather's was the poster boy hit for what not to do on multiple levels. He's lucky Heap wasn't concussed, if in fact that's the case...and who knows since players largely remain reluctant to acknowledge it because by and large they still fear the long term financial consequences of being seen as soft or a risk more than they fear the long term health risks. What he did acknowledge is a neck/shoulder stinger and those are often inches or less from being Stingley'd.

It's a tough, at times vicious, contact sport. Nearly everyone who plays it at this level for any length of time walks away with some form of long term disability. Walking with a limp and not being able to play with your kids because of wear and tear that was inherent in your line of work or even because some jackhole targeted your knees is one thing. Losing your life to deepening depression and dementia is another whole level of disability altogether. Anything they do to limit that is a step in the right direction. This isn't how the game was always played. Lots of things have changed over the years, from the equipment to the size and speed of the players to the rules of engagement, and as Rodney pointed out players in this league are coached to make adjustments.

That sign Bill has hanging in the hallway at Gillette cuts both ways. If you don't want to be here you don't have to be here. When they start making it mandatory for players - and often fantasy stars on offense - to sit out following concussions you guys will be wailing just as much because something is not fair and is furthermore dampening your entertainment value. Better to punish the perps now than the victims increasingly over a lifetime. If guys can't play the game effectively within the rules...they don't have to be here. Same goes for fans who can't grasp simple logic. There is a generation out there - and not just playing football - that has grown up largely oblivious to consequence. They got swagger instead...born of a sense of entitlement. Shame on the generation that raised them. Let this be a lesson to them...and their enablers. Like Bill says, swagger never won a thing. Talent, unselfish teamwork, disciplined execution, mental toughness creating opportunity wins championships. Swagger is often a by-product of that process, which is why so few teams manage to repeat or even remain competitive.

You want to watch things blown up, go play your video games... Like Brady noted is some of his young teamates favorite passtime - if you want to win, heck if you want to get on or stay on the field here - go listen to your coaches and watch game film and study your playbook in your free time.

Meriweather seems to want to man up and move on. His fanboys should let him because that's in everyone's best interest.

Why no presentation on global warming, talk on world hunger, or eloquence on the global gorilla population?

A game was played on Sunday

During the game, a 6'5" TE leaped to catch a ball.

The 5'11" went up to meet him, mistimed, and on a side glance hit the TE with his helmet. Had the 5'11" Safety really decided to "launch" and "headhunt", the TE would most likely be in the hospital and probably be in intensive care.

A penalty was called and deserved

A chewing out was provided by the coach and deserved

It's Friday and the anti-fangirls are still whining. Why not just send him to The Hague? Maybe Nuremburg 2.0?

The reality is I am neither "pro" or "anti" Merriweather. It's simply the reality of events. A critque on poor technique and uncontrolled play is fundamentally different than an undeserved indictment of deliberate pathological behavior.

A review of Jack Bauer's retorts and some relection are definately in order.

:rolleyes: Way to nitpick for absolutely no reason. It's 100% obvious that I didn't mean Heap hurt his own neck by himself. Good grief, it's like all logic is thrown out the window on this board.

Logic only seems to be out the window when you or PatsfaninPitt is posting. Others don't seem to have a problem.

And "violent enough" to cause concussion is meaningless, ALL helmet to helmet hits are enough to cause concussion if in the "right" spot.

Then why have you and PatsfaninPitt tried everything you possibly could to downplay the fact it was a helmet to helmet hit where Meriweather launched himself at a defenseless receiver??

Had you actually followed what I was saying, you'd have understood that the results didn't matter. Whether or not Heap got a concussion didn't matter. That was my point.

Anyway, Brandon messed up by putting his head down near the moment of impact but the alternative is to keep his own neck at an unsafe angle. He did not go after the head though. He barely left his feet anyway and Heap was coming down AND forward. Brandon screwed up the judgement and it was a dangerous head collision. I still am not convinced it is suspension worthy going forward.

Brandon's head was down PRIOR to him launching himself. Again, you choose to see only what you want. Also, Heap coming down and forward would have been even more reason for Meriweather to not leave his feet. Simple 3D Geometry tells us that. If Meriweather doesn't leave his feet, Heap get's hit squarely in the chest. No flag for helmet to helmet. No flag for launching at a defenseless receiver.

Well the "player protection" is just "help the offense". When the defense loses the ability to knock the ball loose as it arrives, it loses a key element of its game and that only benefits the offense. It all comes down with how they hand out suspensions or how they threaten to hand them out I suppose. Anyone care to post some videos of examples of proper hitting technique of receivers over the middle without leading with your helmet.

Sorry, but it's not just "help the offense" and your being ignorant to say so. The defense is not losing the ability to knock the ball loose. That is a typical over-exaggeration by someone who is saying anything he can to try and win an argument he's already lost.

BTW, All one has to do is look at the hit by Robinson to see a PROPER way to hit a receiver over without leading with your helmet. Robinson should definitely appeal his fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News