PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather apologizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, he seems young.

Good for him, I'm kind of feeling proud of our team. It's like the old Father Flanaghan and Boystown with BB and this young bunch. Looked uncomfortable, but i think it's great for Brandon's career. Too many thugs in the league and too many shortened carers of talented players who don't "get it".

I imagine fellow UMiami alum Wilfork is leaning on him to get him in the team concept too.

That giggle is clearly nerves. He came close in that apology but then got control and was fairly eloquent. Good for him.

I didn't just mean this. Every time I have ever heard him speak publicly, he's been giggly. People on this site would always say "He's not taking it seriously, he's giggling about it" when he would be on the radio on Monday's talking about his benching and what not.

He giggles almost as much as Wes Welker says "You know".

I didn't just mean this. Every time I have ever heard him speak publicly, he's been giggly. People on this site would always say "He's not taking it seriously, he's giggling about it" when he would be on the radio on Monday's talking about his benching and what not.

He giggles almost as much as Wes Welker says "You know".
Maybe he's been hanging around with Wes; there were one or two "you know"s in there too.

Wonder if this chat with a Pats alumni had any affect on Meriweather's demeanor: BostonHerald.com - Rap Sheet - Rodney Harrison offers Brandon Meriweather some sage advice: ”Don’t make the same mistake I made.”
In wake of their little chat, the NBC analyst Harrison is now convinced Meriweather will change his ways. Why?

”Because Brandon Meriweather is not a dirty player,” Harrison told the hosts. ”He’s a guy that plays hard and I told him, specifically, I said, ‘Brandon, I’m calling you today because I don’t want you to make the same mistake I made, hitting guys and being known as a dirty player, and having that reputation.

”I made only two Pro Bowls and I compare my career up to all the best safeties,” Harrison went on. ”I made two Pro Bowls because everyone considered me a dirty player and didn’t appreciate what I actually did on the field. I said you’re too good of a player, you’re a hard-hitting guy, you’re a playmaker, I don’t want you to fall into the trap that I fell into. So I told him, I said, ‘Listen Brandon, take this (fine), take your medicine, come back, and play.”’

What was Meriweather’s response to Harrison?

”He said, ‘Rodney, I will lower my hitting area. I have to lower my hitting area,”

I love how this team operates. Man up...say your sorry...and move on.

No wonder the media hates this team...no more questions...you all can move on...find your drama elsewhere....PISS OFF.

I was thinking this last night. That this kid needs to talk to Rodney. Well handled all around. Merriweather can be a real asset if and when he settles down.

I rememeber when they drafted him. The Eagles were next and as soon as Brandon was gone, they traded out of the first round.

Yep. Even if it's just him executing on some hard coaching, it's the right thing to do.

I would have locked him in a room all day and made watch the saga of Darryl Stingley.

Good PR move for the Pats and BM and to appease the fans, the media and the NFL.

Amongst his players I'm sure they could care less.

I believe Predictable Hater #1 has just entered the room.

WOW!

I guess I'm a hater then.

I think the kids got the physical talent but has rocks in his head! He could have made an interception instead he goes for the knock out and a 15 yard penalty. Belichick sitting him out for not performing in practice should say it all! The kids not all there!

You can defend him all you want but we could have had the ball if he played it right rather than being pinned back 15 more yards, resetting the downs and having to send Page in to replace him.

Call me a hater for thinking that.

I think the kids got the physical talent but has rocks in his head! He could have made an interception instead he goes for the knock out and a 15 yard penalty. Belichick sitting him out for not performing in practice should say it all! The kids not all there!

You can defend him all you want but we could have had the ball if he played it right rather than being pinned back 15 more yards, resetting the downs and having to send Page in to replace him.

Analyzing after the fact is easy but had Meriweather gone for the INT (and missed) only to see Heap break out of Mayo's tackle, people would be chastising Meriweather because he didn't knock the snot out of Heap when he had the chance and instead went for the glory INT.

Can't win for trying sometimes ......

WOW!

I guess I'm a hater then.

I'd recommend that you find the transcript of Meriweather's interview from monday.

In the interview, Meriweather talks about how they had prepared for that play many times in practice, and every time Meriweather laid off to wait for the interception, it went for a long gain. Meriweather said that he had to make a split-second decision and try to dislodge the ball, or wait to see if it was overthrown, and based on his experiences in practice, he went to dislodge it.

I'm not saying he made the right decision, but I do think that he played the percentages based on his experience with those circumstances, and made the wrong decision for the right reason.

(Also the decision i am talking about is purely to try to hit heap to dislodge the football vs. wait back for the Interception, NOT the fact that he hit heap illegally, that is a different discussion.)

Hopefully the lightbulb is going on.

Even if that light bulb was purchased, installed & turned on by the HC and owner, at least there's a light there now. Its up to BM to ensure that it remains on.

Methinks that sometime btwn his appearance on D & H and his statement today, Bill brought him into his office and had a talk with him; and by "talk" I mean that Bill did the talking, and BM did the listening.

BTW, I don't fault him for going for the break-up instead of the INT. It looked to me that even if he had stayed where he was before the launch, the ball was tipped in such a way that I don't believe that he would've had a chance to change direction in time to make the catch.

Last edited:
There you go. Message sent. Message received and understood. That's called learning from your mistakes and moving forward. It's what professionals do. It's what adults do. Man up and move forward.

Apparently there's a different sort of standard in Pittsburgh.

No surprise that there's a different standard in PitsDirt, starting with most-favored status given to the Rooney Rule ownership, its long & getting longer list of scum players, and its enabling, see-no-evil etc. fanbase.

I am not sure that the light will ever be on for that kid you can tell he is not blessed with intelligence he seems thick as ****.

On a positive note very well handled by him I can see where he nearly started to giggle as a huge smile comes over him but he stops takes a second to compose himself then continues, thats the patriot way to do it I hope that he understands this now.

and if he doesn't well the extra bottles of Moet that Goddell can buy for the staff Christmas party will I am sure 50k will get them a few.

No surprise that there's a different standard in PitsDirt, starting with most-favored status given to the Rooney Rule ownership, its long & getting longer list of scum players, and its enabling, see-no-evil etc. fanbase.

Well said. It's almost as if they hate the Rooneys, the way the Steelers act. I'm excited to see the new and upcoming Merriweather. I sense more punishing, shoulder under the helmet hits in the near future. Unless the league goes all Polian on us and starts calling us for illegal tackles. We've had that happen too.

There you go. Message sent. Message received and understood. That's called learning from your mistakes and moving forward. It's what professionals do. It's what adults do. Man up and move forward.

Apparently there's a different sort of standard in Pittsburgh.

I'm with you.

I'm proud of Brandon. I'm proud of our organization.

In a world where too many people and groups beat their chests and declare it's always the other guy's fault, I'm proud of how the Patriots and Brandon Merriwether handled this.

The linebacker for the Steelers and his enable-the-star team (see Mr. Rapistburger) are immature idiots.

THAT is the difference between men and boys.

A players career should not be judged on a decision that took a fraction of a second to make. The kid has come a long way ... a longer journey than was expected but he is a Patriot inside and out. He's going to get even better which is kind of scary.

So if we play and beat Baltimore next year, what's going to be the next national hysteria?

Frankly, this is somewhat disappointing. The league had years and several near Welker decapitations to clean this up. Never mind trying to sell pictures.

Love the Pats but this league is the most repulsive organization in sports.

Keep "apologizing" and this will just continue.

He may have changed his tune after Rodney reached out to him:

It was good of Rodney to make the effort to do that after the way Brandon scoffed at his remarks the day before. I hope hitting wasn't all they talked about, because being a pro bowl safety is about a lot more, and being a champion is about a lot more than being named to pro bowls. Rodney and Tedy could write a book about what it means to a career to be coached by one of the greatest defensive minds in the game if you're open to listening.

I'm growing very damn tired of people acting like this was the cheapest hit in the NFL. Go watch golf.

No kidding, the kid didn't assasinate the queen or anything :rolleyes:

Just lead with his head, like many a player before him. He took a 50k lump and will learn. Lay off for christ sake. It wasn't an intentional spear, it was bad technique but I don't honestly think he had an intention to injure anyone.

Typical league overreact on this whole BS thing. It's all part of an effort to PR an 18 game season, by making them look "tough" on player safety, when they honestly couldn't give a rats' *****.

I think the Patriots organization just straight up told BM to apologize for the hit, be genuine, and move forward like they always do...

Of course the predictable haters are going to say, he was forced or taught to say this.

I'm happy BM apologized and appears genuinely contrite.

But I hope you noticed that you just called yourself a "predictable hater"!

:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back