PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Merged again and again: I do/don't like the Moss trade because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Official "I'm happy Moss is gone" thread

Never been a fan of Moss although I appreciated what he did for the team. That said, I am not happy he is gone. I don't think it is the doomsday that many other people feel it is though.

No more worrying about Moss' emotions after having a crappy game... No more "Is moss dogging it"....

People have to realize we are setting up for the next 2 years. Does anybody realize how good this team is gonna be in 2 years.. Maybe even next year. The NFL should be scared.

What were we saying after week 3 in Buffalo. "This team sucks and is going no where"

To me. If they win the Superbowl thats gravy this year. I know they won't but the future looks awesome. Its a good time to be a pats fan.

Please dont start *****ing in the game thread against baltimore when they gameplan to stop welker and hernandez in the short and intermediate game.

All brady's life did was get a little harder and the windows will be a little tighter underneath now that safety's can cheat up and that extra corner is actually on welker instead of a LB. Don't fool yourself We did not get better on the football field. This seems to be a behind the scenes/chemistry type move. I don't even think the vikes where the aggressors in this deal.

I just hope O'brien will prepare and adjust accordingly we need to go back to screen passes and les empty backfield sets. Imo

That's been covered before. You either extend him, or you trade him before the season begins and bring in a replacement.

or in this instance, get rid of him the moment he becomes a real problem which was the mantra since the very first day they obtained him.

if they knew he was going to bust a gasket, maybe they would have, but moss is the kind of guy you want to hold on to until he does bust a gasket.

I don't see how any other scenario would have put the pats in a substantially different situation right now.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm happy he's gone, but it's easier to come around to the idea after hearing all these stories that have gotten leaked out over the past 12 hours or so.

Not happy at all. Almost a third of Moss' career TD receptions came from Patriot's QB's. He will be missed big time in my opinion. By Brady especially, they took away his deep threat (his only one). I will always remember 2 TD catches in particular, his one handed impossible TD catch against the Jets a few weeks ago, and his catch that helped him and Brady break records at the same time in 2007. Those will always be in my mind. Randy Moss is the most talented receiver we've EVER had. I really don't care about his moods, he was amazing, period.

Deus,

you mentioned the vikings were talking extension with moss. childress is not aware of this.

maybe you should talk to him

merge2.gif

Working with young guys again.Didnt we see this before and it didnt work out?We better hope that Tate is a player.

Oh yeah? How so? You have all the answers, so please let us know how those situations could have been avoided. I guess the right answer is to just give them everything they want to ensure we have nothing but shiny, happy people on our team?

Yes, that's exactly it. The Patriots have a history of screwing around with veterans at the end of their contracts, but it's just me who points it out, and the only solution is to completely cave in to the players. Nobody else has ever discussed this, and there is no option besides stand firm at 100% or cave.

I've defended the Patriots on the Branch issue, but that doesn't mean that the whole thing couldn't have been avoided in the first place.

Last edited:
After having gotten slapped in the face with this early this morning, and having all day to hear differents takes on this, I still fail to see how this makes the Pats better right now (and dont give me the locker room crap either, Rodney Harrison just got off the radio down here and stated that Moss was an EXCELLENT teammate).
There has got to be more to this as in the Pats are going to bring someone in, if not.....this is an epic failure for a 3rd round pick (not to mention the 7th we gave up too).

Oh great, another ******ed thread.

I am still holding out hope that there is more to this and they are bringing a solid wr but i aint holding my breath for that one!

Im still a little sick over this, not quite the same feeling I got when Sean Taylor died and when we lost in 07 but not very far off.

Deus,

you mentioned the vikings were talking extension with moss. childress is not aware of this.

maybe you should talk to him

Not what I said:

He's reportedly going to get an extension from Minnesota. He wasn't getting one from New England. How's that a lousy job of making more money?

Now:

Glazer reported that the Vikings would like to have a deal in place to sign Moss to an extension, but he added that it would not be a deal-breaker.

Report: Patriots Close to Trading Randy Moss to Vikings - New England Patriots - NESN.com

The man who, along with Simmons, was breaking the story, was reporting about the Vikings wanting to do an extension. If you've got an issue, take it up with him.

The more I think of it which has been the last 20 hours I feel less confident. Those highlights are getting to me and the management is seriously considering being content with what we have, it's scary to think we are tanking at 3-1. After four straight tough seasons.

I love BB but i wonder if he outsmarts himself at times.He's not bigger then the game itself.I am gonna watch this team and see wat we have now.See how teams will play us.

If only this had happened before we played you guys!

I've thought about this...then thought about this...then considered the +/-....then thought some more. I think I'm finally ready to have an opinion on this. I like it.

A player is not moved this point in the season for circus peanuts unless there is a real reason. I vehimently defended Moss time and time again last year. This season I could see quite clearly that he was giving up. Look at '07 when he played like he could. The guy was taking balls down with three defenders having off of him. Now he can't beat a corner on effort plays.

I saw the NFL's Top 100 Players when they talked about Moss. Billick said something to the effect of "Ever since he stepped onto a field for the first time he has been the best athlete out there- he doesn't know anything else". He was used to dominating on athleticism, not competition. As his skills erode with age, he is going to have to outcompete opponents in order to be successful. We saw his raw gifts begin to regress and with that so did his will to win the matchups. Indeed, he was the anti-Patriot. He needed constant validation. If I were building a new program, I wouldn't want guys like that influencing my puppies. The key to a coach beginning a new program (and let's be honest, BB is building a new program right now) is getting rid of the bad left over from the previous teams. I'm not suggesting Moss is a bad guy, I'm suggesting that his work ethic on field and constant need of validation is a negative influence on highly talented, highly impressionable young guys.

Now, let's look at the onfield aspect. Sure, the guy commands doubleteams. He can still score from anywhere on the field. He must be respected at all times and that opens things up for other aspects of the offense. The thing is that he is now getting beaten straight up, which is not why you get a guy like Moss. Teams were playing him hat on hat a fair bit this season and he hardly lit it up. The allure of Moss forced balls that should not have been thrown. Hell, I'm willing to bet that in order to keep Moss interested Brady threw him stuff that he knew he shouldn't have. Twice this season I saw Brady look at Moss, tap the ball and check off against MAN. That kind of stuff only happens when a receiver has given up on a route.

Am I appreciative of what the guy did here, and what he can do when properly motivated? Of course. I just think that some have fallen in love with the Ferraris, and I am guilty of this as well. Let's not forget what the entire allure of the championship Patriots was. Those teams won because the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts. Those teams won on competition. Those teams won because they wanted to win more than anyone else and they were going to fight you tooth and nail until the bitter end. This current team is showing a drive towards those core attributes, and removing Moss from the equation was clearly a step they viewed as mandatory. I like it.

I've thought about this...then thought about this...then considered the +/-....then thought some more. I think I'm finally ready to have an opinion on this. I like it.

A player is not moved this point in the season for circus peanuts unless there is a real reason. I vehimently defended Moss time and time again last year. This season I could see quite clearly that he was giving up. Look at '07 when he played like he could. The guy was taking balls down with three defenders having off of him. Now he can't beat a corner on effort plays.

I saw the NFL's Top 100 Players when they talked about Moss. Billick said something to the effect of "Ever since he stepped onto a field for the first time he has been the best athlete out there- he doesn't know anything else". He was used to dominating on athleticism, not competition. As his skills erode with age, he is going to have to outcompete opponents in order to be successful. We saw his raw gifts begin to regress and with that so did his will to win the matchups. Indeed, he was the anti-Patriot. He needed constant validation. If I were building a new program, I wouldn't want guys like that influencing my puppies. The key to a coach beginning a new program (and let's be honest, BB is building a new program right now) is getting rid of the bad left over from the previous teams. I'm not suggesting Moss is a bad guy, I'm suggesting that his work ethic on field and constant need of validation is a negative influence on highly talented, highly impressionable young guys.

Now, let's look at the onfield aspect. Sure, the guy commands doubleteams. He can still score from anywhere on the field. He must be respected at all times and that opens things up for other aspects of the offense. The thing is that he is now getting beaten straight up, which is not why you get a guy like Moss. Teams were playing him hat on hat a fair bit this season and he hardly lit it up. The allure of Moss forced balls that should not have been thrown. Hell, I'm willing to bet that in order to keep Moss interested Brady threw him stuff that he knew he shouldn't have. Twice this season I saw Brady look at Moss, tap the ball and check off against MAN. That kind of stuff only happens when a receiver has given up on a route.

Am I appreciative of what the guy did here, and what he can do when properly motivated? Of course. I just think that some have fallen in love with the Ferraris, and I am guilty of this as well. Let's not forget what the entire allure of the championship Patriots was. Those teams won because the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts. Those teams won on competition. Those teams won because they wanted to win more than anyone else and they were going to fight you tooth and nail until the bitter end. This current team is showing a drive towards those core attributes, and removing Moss from the equation was clearly a step they viewed as mandatory. I like it.
Amen..........

Re: Moss trade info keeps getting better and better..

That's pathetic! The Pats should've looked up the term "leverage" before trading Moss.

It's funny they trade someone who is actually playing for them instead of a OL that is b*tching about being lied to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand