PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty gets a new contract? (update: nope, not yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I left them off as they are bottom of the roster guys. I think the like Cannon - just not sure what is future is here with Vollmer at RT.

Connolly is 32 so I assume they will find a suitable replacement. - I hope.

Ayers was a starter in this league and might represent good value. Casillas is a ST lifer.

I can see them making sure of keeping Slater if the dollars work and Casillas contributes well on ST's from here on out. BB holds that unit high on his list (higher than most HC's, IMO). He seems to take alot of pride in the ST units. I know he didn't coin the phrase "All three phases of the game", but it is a prevelent part of football vernacular that I don't remember hearing 15 years ago. The only time ST units got recognition was when your team did something big or gave up something terrible. He puts more value and emphasis on these units than any coach I can remember, and I'm no kid. I could see them retaining Bolden with that in mind.

As far as Conolly, He ain't Mankins type of money. I could see him playing a role here next year at a vet/team friendly deal. There's no one on the roster now to overtake his spot now and if you want to replace him it means a rookie or free agent. Grooming a rook behind him would seem most logical. Cannon seems to be a tackle and now we have Flemming. I think he leaves for greener pastures unless they think he can move inside full time.

Possible but unlikely. They will not essentially franchise them on a lowball deal. If they do it'll sour things for 2017 negotiations.

The fifth-year option does not preclude the team from reaching an extension. Equally importantly, about 2/3 of teams exercised the option on the 2011 class, so I don't see this as being a major hurdle.

For the record, the ones that weren't picked up:

8. Jake Locker (TEN)
10. Blaine Gabbert (JAX)
12. Christian Ponder (MIN)
13. Nick Fairley (DET)
20. Adrian Clayborn (TB)
23. Danny Watkins (PHI—released, ineligible)
25. James Carpenter (SEA)
26. Jonathan Baldwin (SF, drafted by KC)
28. Mark Ingram (NO)
29. Gabe Carimi (TB—released by CHI, ineligible)
32. Derek Sherrod (GB)

Sorry I gave that impression. Mike Holley indicated he'd seen it somewhere, I had not. There is "no movement."

We're more than happy to blame it on Holley instead, Tom. ;)

In the meantime, keep up the great work and thanks for helping us to remain on top of things. Feel free to post more often if/when you ever have the time. It would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I don' t think any of us wish to view Jason's contract in this case. He did pretty well for himself down there in TEN.

Jason may be overpaid for a corner, but for a S of his brothers caliber his 7.1m average is a steal and I'd accept that 6 year deal.

Hope this is true, and glad to see that this team seems to be moving away from "plug and play" d backs, to proven commodities...

McCourty is a great leader... and gets progressively more football intelligent each year.

The fifth-year option does not preclude the team from reaching an extension. Equally importantly, about 2/3 of teams exercised the option on the 2011 class, so I don't see this as being a major hurdle.

8. Jake Locker (TEN)
10. Blaine Gabbert (JAX)
13. Nick Fairley (DET)
20. Adrian Clayborn (TB)
28. Mark Ingram (NO)
32. Derek Sherrod (GB)

Agreed. Barring serious injury, Jones and HT will be here through 2017, either by option or extension.

Last edited:
Sorry I gave that impression. Mike Holley indicated he'd seen it somewhere, I had not. There is "no movement."

Thanks for the clarification, Tom. I missed Holley stating that (damn, work getting in the way of my radio listening). Makes sense since hen you said it you made it sound like an after thought. Considering it would have been a major scoop, I figured you would have made a bigger deal of it.

Mods: I ok with closing this thread or revising the title in light of Tom... Ummm... Prentice's clarification of what he said and how McCourty potentially being signed or close to it is confirmed to be a non-story.

I can see them making sure of keeping Slater if the dollars work and Casillas contributes well on ST's from here on out. BB holds that unit high on his list (higher than most HC's, IMO). He seems to take alot of pride in the ST units. I know he didn't coin the phrase "All three phases of the game", but it is a prevelent part of football vernacular that I don't remember hearing 15 years ago. The only time ST units got recognition was when your team did something big or gave up something terrible. He puts more value and emphasis on these units than any coach I can remember, and I'm no kid. I could see them retaining Bolden with that in mind.

As far as Conolly, He ain't Mankins type of money. I could see him playing a role here next year at a vet/team friendly deal. There's no one on the roster now to overtake his spot now and if you want to replace him it means a rookie or free agent. Grooming a rook behind him would seem most logical. Cannon seems to be a tackle and now we have Flemming. I think he leaves for greener pastures unless they think he can move inside full time.

I agree with everything you have said.

8. Jake Locker (TEN)
10. Blaine Gabbert (JAX)
13. Nick Fairley (DET)
20. Adrian Clayborn (TB)
28. Mark Ingram (NO)
32. Derek Sherrod (GB)
If Fairley could get his weight under control and play to his ability...

If Fairley could get his weight under control and play to his ability...

I think we'd all be intrigued at the thought, but I'd also have to add some kind of "value" there as well.

In other words, I just don't see Belichick taking a shot at him on what a couple of teams will likely be offering. Just too risky in my opinion.

Please be true

Thanks for the clarification, Tom. I missed Holley stating that (damn, work getting in the way of my radio listening). Makes sense since hen you said it you made it sound like an after thought. Considering it would have been a major scoop, I figured you would have made a bigger deal of it.

Mods: I ok with closing this thread or revising the title in light of Tom... Ummm... Prentice's clarification of what he said and how McCourty potentially being signed or close to it is confirmed to be a non-story.

Unsubstantiated report added to the title would suffice, i think

Once again we see the non-value of listening to Boston sports radio.
What will it take to simply Stop The Insanity?

I still really hope we resign him during this season, nothing would piss me off more than losing both him and Revis in FA, especially with all the cap room we now have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News