PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty gets a new contract? (update: nope, not yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just heard Tom E Curran on WEEI that that he has heard that McCourty either got a new deal or is close to getting one. He kinda said it off handed. Haven't seen anything online. This is typically a time where new deals get done by the Pats in the regular season (during a bye). I hope he is right.

And no, whatever McCourty gets in a new deal will not prevent the Pats from signing Revis. Revis' re-signing or not re-signing will not be affected by McCourty in any way unless Revis makes his decision to stay or go based on how much he likes Devin which is unlikely.

This would be another step in the right direction and more validation for the Mankins deal

I really hope this is true, and to the tune of no more than $8mm per year.

And no, whatever McCourty gets in a new deal will not prevent the Pats from signing Revis.

Without knowing the amounts involved this is a ridiculous statement Curran is making. .

The Pats have a number of priorities next year. Signing DMC (which I love) willbe a big chunk of cash and cap space consumed. It will have a ripple effect- no matter what.

Hope he has signed so at the very least some of the money is pushed into this season.

Without knowing the amounts involved this is a ridiculous statement Curran is making. .

The Pats have a number of priorities next year. Signing DMC (which I love) willbe a big chunk of cash and cap space consumed. It will have a ripple effect- no matter what.

I said that, not Curran. And whatever they pay McCourty will have no bearing on Revis. The contract for a safety should not affect the cap enough to affect signing Revis unless the Pats structure it stupidly.

McCourty will have no bearing on Revis. Signing McCourty will not prevent the Pats from signing Revis.

I just heard Tom E Curran on WEEI that that he has heard that McCourty either got a new deal or is close to getting one. He kinda said it off handed. Haven't seen anything online. This is typically a time where new deals get done by the Pats in the regular season (during a bye). I hope he is right.

And no, whatever McCourty gets in a new deal will not prevent the Pats from signing Revis. Revis' re-signing or not re-signing will not be affected by McCourty in any way unless Revis makes his decision to stay or go based on how much he likes Devin which is unlikely.
You're right, his signing won't effect us signing Revis. He's already signed.

Could't help it.:D

If true this is indeed a good step. Next up Gostowski. We have time to figure out Solder. Slater's another one who I'm sure they're talking to as well,

I said that, not Curran. And whatever they pay McCourty will have no bearing on Revis. The contract for a safety should not affect the cap enough to affect signing Revis unless the Pats structure it stupidly.

McCourty will have no bearing on Revis. Signing McCourty will not prevent the Pats from signing Revis.
You don't that, Rob. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm not agreeing with you either.

In 2015, Revis, DMC, Vereen, Slater, Gost, Chung, Siliga, Develin, and maybe Ridley are the players that will get interest in being signed by the team for decent money. We don't know what the team's ceiling is for signing these players and for what cap space they feel is appropriate to allocate.

In 2016 you have Solder, Chandler Jones and Hightower hitting the market. All 3 are big money items. Do you lock them up now or let them hit the market? If you sign them now,they receive a bonus and their cap goes up (maybe) for 2015 and most likely 2016. That impacts Revis. What they pay DMC may/may not impact the teams ability to sign them as well.

My point: It is all linked.

You don't that, Rob. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm not agreeing with you either.

In 2015, Revis, DMC, Vereen, Slater, Gost, Chung, Siliga, Develin, and maybe Ridley are the players that will get interest in being signed by the team for decent money. We don't know what the team's ceiling is for signing these players and for what cap space they feel is appropriate to allocate.

In 2016 you have Solder, Chandler Jones and Hightower hitting the market. All 3 are big money items. Do you lock them up now or let them hit the market? If you sign them now,they receive a bonus and their cap goes up (maybe) for 2015 and most likely 2016. That impacts Revis. What they pay DMC may/may not impact the teams ability to sign them as well.

Casillas, Ayers, Conolly, Bolden and we'll see how Branch pans out are on the list as well. I don't see Cannon coming back. Aiken and White, whatever.

Casillas, Ayers, Conolly, Bolden and we'll see how Branch pans out are on the list as well. I don't see Cannon coming back. Aiken and White, whatever.
Yea I left them off as they are bottom of the roster guys. I think the like Cannon - just not sure what is future is here with Vollmer at RT.

Connolly is 32 so I assume they will find a suitable replacement. - I hope.

Ayers was a starter in this league and might represent good value. Casillas is a ST lifer.

Both Hightower and Chandler will probably get the 5th year option from the team. So they have 2 more seasons after this and will hit the market in 2017. There will most likely be some roster changes by then. Revis will be 32, Mayo will be 31. Wilfork will probably not be on the team in 2017, or he will be on a cheaper deal.

Sure, if Hightower and Chandler continue like this they will get big money deals from us. But we will probably not have to pay them and the players that get big money deals from us today, because those player will be older and on cheaper deals or not on the team. I think that McCourty, Hightower, and Chandler will be our new wave of high payed players that will anchor our defense.

Sorry I gave that impression. Mike Holley indicated he'd seen it somewhere, I had not. There is "no movement."

Both Hightower and Chandler will probably get the 5th year option from the team. So they have 2 more seasons after this and will hit the market in 2017.

Possible but unlikely. They will not essentially franchise them on a lowball deal. If they do it'll sour things for 2017 negotiations.

There will most likely be some roster changes by then. Revis will be 32, Mayo will be 31. Wilfork will probably not be on the team in 2017, or he will be on a cheaper deal.

Sure, if Hightower and Chandler continue like this they will get big money deals from us. But we will probably not have to pay them and the players that get big money deals from us today, because those player will be older and on cheaper deals or not on the team. I think that McCourty, Hightower, and Chandler will be our new wave of high payed players that will anchor our defense.

Yes which still brings us back to how all big money deals effect other contract situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes