PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock: Solder has ‘tremendously high ceiling’

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that he came to Colorado as a TE. He's added a lot of weight. Let's hope he can put on some more. While he's not huge, it does appear that he's spent a good amount of time in the weight room and I think I've read that some where as well.

I remember reading somewhere that Solder is roomates now with Moses Cabrera who was his College Strength and Conditioning Coach at Colorado and Cabrera was also hired by the Patriots as their Asst S &C Coach earlier this year when Harold Nash got promoted.

So he should have some familiarity with the guy who's helped him get where he is today.

Klemm played all the timehe was healthy... He "busted" because they gave up on his constant injuries, not his lack of talent.

Klemm was a bust because he sucked, plain and simple. Sure, he was hurt a lot, but even when he saw the field he was terrible. Classic case of "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane". The only question is why NE kept him around as long as they did.

He did solidify the need for BB to clean house in the scouting dept, though, so he has that going for him. ;)

Vollmer was a lot more raw with a lot more question marks and unknowns than Solder.

Out of all our assistant coaches who work out rookies for the draft, I trust Scar the most. This guy simply doesn't miss when he sees a guy he likes. Look at Mankins, Vollmer... when Scar speaks up (and he only does when it's legit), the guys he vouches for are good. And he is also great at coaching, so it's a pretty safe pick in terms of not busting on it.

They have hit fairly often with OL picks but Ornberger is the mystery to me. We traded Hobbs for 2 5th rounders which were immediately traded up for the 4th rd pick that is Orny. 2 trades to get "their guy" who hasnt cracked the lineup in 3 years?? I'd say we missed with that one.

They have hit fairly often with OL picks but Ornberger is the mystery to me. We traded Hobbs for 2 5th rounders which were immediately traded up for the 4th rd pick that is Orny. 2 trades to get "their guy" who hasnt cracked the lineup in 3 years?? I'd say we missed with that one.

Agreed. He just seemed a bit small for guard. Seems a better fit at center. Maybe BB liked the position flexibility. I can see him on the bubble this year.

I agree with the above post...Orhnberger could be a casualty if BB decides to only keep 8 OL.....

Can Cannon slide over to play center? That would be ideal if he isn't IR'd his first year.:)

I agree with the above post...Orhnberger could be a casualty if BB decides to only keep 8 OL.....

Can Cannon slide over to play center? That would be ideal if he isn't IR'd his first year.:)

Cannon at center? No way. He'd be a far better fit at guard. I think he would be a liability at tackle.

We filled a need with who we thought was the best OL on the board. It may not be flashy, but I'm really happy about the pick. They know what they are doing in the war room.. I defer to BB.

Yep. But then again we are fans and need our opinions. E.g., WTF were we doing running a slow-down offense when we were down by more than a touchdown in the 4th quarter against the Jets in the playoffs? I know that wasn't BB's direct decision, but it was a stupid decision (well, OTOH, it was the only way we could get ANY play to work....so maybe even that...)

Anyhoo, I say yes, but people please keep complaining it is fun to read, and to revisit.

Cannon at center? No way. He'd be a far better fit at guard. I think he would be a liability at tackle.

Cannon at RG would be ideal....and a backup at RT should Vollmer go down....

I think Connelly can play center in a pinch....Ohrnberger could be on the bubble if Cannon isn't PUP or IR.....

Lots up in the air with Light and Mankins still ??

Cannon at RG would be ideal....and a backup at RT should Vollmer go down....

I think Connelly can play center in a pinch....Ohrnberger could be on the bubble if Cannon isn't PUP or IR.....

Lots up in the air with Light and Mankins still ??

Most seem to think that Mankins will play. That leaves Light..it will be a bonus if we can retain him but if we lose him it wouldn't exactly kill us imo.

Light did give up double digit sacks if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Most seem to think that Mankins will play. That leaves Light..it will be a bonus if we can retain him but if we lose him it wouldn't exactly kill us imo.

Light did give up double digit sacks if i'm not mistaken.

Pro football weekly said he gave up 10 sacks last year although it's hard to judge how many were really his fault-a number were on overload blitzes where somebody came clean so it's hard to say whether he was the guy who missed an assignment.

The sack numbers are always dubious-they say Connolly gave up no sacks last year for example and I'm positive he did.

Pro football weekly said he gave up 10 sacks last year although it's hard to judge how many were really his fault-a number were on overload blitzes where somebody came clean so it's hard to say whether he was the guy who missed an assignment.

The sack numbers are always dubious-they say Connolly gave up no sacks last year for example and I'm positive he did.

Even if you allow a variance of say +/- 2 sacks. That's still a lot of sacks to give up. It looks like Light is slowing down. He always did have trouble with good passrushers. I felt more confident with Vollmer at LT then I did Light but unfortunately Light can't play the right side.

Even if you allow a variance of say +/- 2 sacks. That's still a lot of sacks to give up. It looks like Light is slowing down. He always did have trouble with good passrushers. I felt more confident with Vollmer at LT then I did Light but unfortunately Light can't play the right side.

The big questions is whether Solder can play RT, if he can then Vollmer at LT might make more sense than resigning Light.

Thought I read somewhere that Vollmer would stay at RT....I believe Solder has only played at LT and thus trained only on that side in college....no sense switching him to RT unless it is an emergency where Vollmer goes down.

Disrupting 2 player positions on the OL wouldn't be necessary if Solder is decent at LT.....Would still like to see Pats sign Light for one year as a mentor.

Thought I read somewhere that Vollmer would stay at RT....I believe Solder has only played at LT and thus trained only on that side in college....no sense switching him to RT unless it is an emergency where Vollmer goes down.

Disrupting 2 player positions on the OL wouldn't be necessary if Solder is decent at LT.....Would still like to see Pats sign Light for one year as a mentor.

Definately agree

That's a big "if", I know Vollmer can already play LT, I wouldnt want to trust the most importand position on the O-line to a rookie if Vollmer can do it better.

I am convinced that the Pats brain trust feel that they fell into a real special player in Solder. Not just as good as Matt Light, but an "ULTRA Light" kind of player. Some one who can come in and start right away. Don't forget that the Pats started Light as a rookie in 2001, while the other OT (GRR) was either a rookie or 2nd year player with no prior starting experience, so starting young OTs is not unheard of in NE.

As to Light's future there are a couple of scenarios where he could stay. The one I'd like to see is trading Mankins and his monster contract to someone in the NFC and move Light to LG where he could mentor Solder right on the field. He'd come at about a third of the price as Mankins and I believe he'd be 98% as effective as an OG.

This would be the easiest position for him to move to, since he's been on the left side his entire career. It would be a good move for him and a good move for the Pats

That being said, the most likely scenario is the Pats keeping Mankins (at least for this year), and watching Light play for another team

Have to agree with Patfranken.....Solder is a SOLID prospect at LT.....yes, he is just a prospect, but Vollmer was also as a rookie....Dante and BB know what they are getting for players in the early rounds.....I can't even begin to believe that Solder will be a bust.....

If Mankins wants the moon, it might be a good idea to do exactly what was suggested and move Light inside.....of course, it might be a bargain to rent Mankins for the year at $10mil but I'd still rather see a long term deal with him to solidify that position for the foreseeable future....

:cool:

Last edited:
I can't see Light playing guard. He's going to get LT money from somewhere, so staying in NE to play guard would require taking a hometown discount AND accepting that he'd have to learn a new position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft