PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The special teams edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK, 1am and I've had a chance to think this one over, gather a few stats and try an put it in perspective. Going into the game I expected a close game. I thought the Pats could score 23-27 and hold the Broncos to just under 20. The key to this game I thought would be TO's. The Pats have been pretty poor this year in creating TO's, but on the plus side, they don't give many away either. So my feeling was that if they don't give any away and made the Bronco's have a long field to score, they'd be OK and win a close game. Instead they create THREE Denver TO's (punt block, pick ,and muffed punt) and don't give away any, and win in a rout. That's the way it should have been all season. ;)

So instead of having ST's be the last thing we talk about in the break down, perhaps this week we should stat it off with ST's since they were a direct cause of upward of 24 of the Pats points in this game.

1. ST's- If there has been one thing (among several others) that distinguishs Bill from his peers is his maniacal dedication to special teams. I doubt any other teams dedicate so many roster spots to what we call "core ST's guys", Where else would Brandon Bolden still have a job. Where else would BB trade a pick to pick up a guy like Bademosi, who until he got to NE rarely played on the regular D, and the list could go on and on.

a. But what was most impressive about tonight's ST's execution was not just the raw number of critical plays, but the fact they were in so many areas of ST's. The Pats KO coverage unit had 7 balls returns, only one made it past the 25. There was one punt (a 46 yd beauty by Allen) that resulted in a muff and a quite recover by Hollister. There was the punt block by Burkhead. There was the KO return by Lewis. (the ONLY one he got) Gotskowski's KO's were so well placed and the coverage so blanketing that he got the ultimate compliment when a KR took a knee about a foot inside the end zone. Only the punt return game didn't shine, but there was no need to return anything tonight and risk Amendola.

b. They just did everything so well this entire game, it was not only a pleasure to watch, but it should be a blueprint for other teams to see how it's done. ST's created 17 points for the Pats and it was a bonehead play by Denver's ST's that gave the ball back to the Pats who put ANOTHER 7 point up on the board.

2. OFFENSE -

a. General thoughts - Simply a brilliant plan by Josh tonight. 9 different receivers caught the ball is a well balanced passing attack. No one had more than 6 catches and no one had more than 74 yds.

b. They completely neutralized the great Denver CB's by pretty much ignoring them. Cooks and Dorsett eventually combined for 8 catches for 90 yds, but for the most part they were decoys and short yardage threats. Instead the bulk of the throws when to the TE's and RB's on the inside and to Amendola from the slot.

c. As I have said on several occasions, the key stat in the run game wasn't so much how many yards they gained (100) but the amount of carries (29) and did those runs move the chains (yes). No run will make anyone's highlight reel, but it was solid work by Lewis and Burkhead.

d. My only real complaint the entire night was that 3rd and 3 they ran early in the 4th that was too cute by a half and resulted in a loss on a throw to Cooks. Fortunately the Pats got the ball back on the 12 men on the field penalty. SO what am I complaining about anyway. ;)

e. The only other complaint was being first and goal from the 2 and having to kick a FG But overall the Pats were 4/6 in the red zone which is pretty good.

QB- Brady had a great night tonight. He was very sharp in his short an medium rang throws. He didn't go deep much, but when he did he overthrew his guys, but that is nitpicking of the highest order. ;). Brady's been fairly good for most of the season, but coming off the bye I thought this was his best game, even though he only threw for 266 yds.

Hoyer had a nice little welcome back in his series. He got a few first downs and looked competent.

4. OL - The best game of the year for the OL - zero Penalties. One sack on a missed block on a blitzing S by White, and very few QB hits (2 or 3 I think). The scheme they developed was brilliant. Waddle did himself proud, but Devlin was often there to help. Unlike in Dallas where they left their back up on an island all game an never gave him help even after his man had sacked Prescott SIX f*cking times.

b. Solder had his best game of the year. While Waddle was getting most of the help, Solder was a stud on the other side.

c. And as usual, the interior 3 were solid at keeping any inside pressure away from Brady. We were all worried about Denver's vaunted rush, but this could have been the cleanest Brady has been all season. It bodes well.

3. RB's - Lewis and Burkhead did most of the damage, with Gillislee being a healthy scratch. Both ran hard and got what was there, but Lewis once again had 2 or 3 negative runs trying to make something out of nothing.

Gillislee missing this game could be something or nothing. If we know the Pats next week he could get 20 carries. But I'm sure it will be a major topic of discussion in some thread this week. I hope it won't be in this one. ;)

4. Receivers - Nice to see Allen get off the shnide. It was a good catch against tight coverage while he was being held. It was even nicer to see how his teammates were so happy for him, especially Brady and Gronk.

b. Marty had a very productive 7 snaps in this game. His shoulder is definitely a problem for him. He's not going to be much of a blocking factor with it. My instincts are telling me he's not going to make it through the 8-11 games coming up. But while he's active, it can only be a good thing. I think the Pats are going to massively manage his snap count. I'll be surprised to see it ever get past 20/game in the regular season

c. Gronk's snaps aren't being managed closely, but his target are. It would be easy to see him get 10+ a game, but I don't see that happening until the playoffs come around. I think he got 6 or 7 tonight include the TD what wasn't.

BTW- I can see how it was call incomplete on the field, AND I can see why it wasn't overturned. But after watching it several times, I also think it was a catch Ce la vie.

d. Cooks and Dorsett weren't featured but they did their jobs. They has some production, while neutralizing the strength of the Denver defense.

e. Nice to see Devlin get a few looks in the passing game. I bet this was not only his high for snaps, but in how key he was to the game plan this week

5. Defense - General thoughts -

a. The Bronco's marched down the field the first few times they had the ball this game. Fortunately they didn't allow a TD, and the offense and ST's were putting up copious numbers. Something Collingsworth said struck a note. The first 2 drives generally include all the "scripted plays" (about 15-20) These are the ones that are usually executed well. It is also the time where the D gets to see what the offense is trying to do to the defense and what matchups they are trying to get. So I wasn't surprised to see Denver move the ball early, but I expected, as the Pats made adjustments, I expected to see things tighten up over time. Stopping them twice in the red zone were big wins.

b. Our front 7 is really a bunch of no-names who individually won't throw a scare into DC we face. But once again they only allowed 16 points, and like I had hoped, the coverage and pressure got tighter and tighter over the course of the night, forcing Denver to make big plays (well mostly Sanders).

c. On of the stats that made me think we are creating a great secondary to go along with a front 7 where the sum will be better than the individual parts. SEVENTEEN different players recorded tackles tonight. No standouts, 5 tackles led the team, but so many contributed.

d. No sacks tonight. That was a disappointment given the state of the Denver OL and the fact Osweiler usually stands in the pocket. But I do have to admit, I thought the Pats put more pressure on Osweiler than Denver did to Brady.

6. Front 7- The run D was decent. They allowed Denver RB's a very respectable 4.4 ypc over 26 carries, but I never thought they were ever running wild. It should be noted that a lot of those good runs came when the Pats were way ahead and expecting pass. Denver had to run the ball WELL to win. They never reached that standard. And like I said, while they didn't get any sacks, the DL at least made Osweiler "feel their presence".

I will be interested to here what Bedard or PFF have to say with their numbers later in the week.

7. Secondary.

a. I thought Gilbert had a very strong game on Thomas. He didn't cover Thomas exclusively, but for the most part. Thomas had 5 catches for just 44 yds. That's under 10/catch, which is outstanding again a supposedly elite WR. A touch slow on the TD catch, but that is nitpicking, given the circus catch Thomas made. (and it was a catch). He will only get better as he gets more time on the field. His play on Thomas made Denver throw at Butler.

b. Butler was undressed by Sanders in the first half (4 for 66yds) Sanders made a triple move on Malcolm that was beautiful to watch even for a Pats fan (the first big gain). Malcolm bit on a couple moves Sander gave him, but as the game wore on Butler tighten is coverage considerably and by the second half, any catch Sanders made required either a great catch, or a great pass.

c. Hats off to Sanders who played a great game. Fortunately he was about the only one who stood out.

d. The Safeties did their job. Tackled well, and covered the rest of the Bronco's (TE's and RB's) very well. Chung made a nice move jumping that route for the pick. He was solid all night as were the rest of the DB's though Sander killed Jones on an in-cut for a big 3rd down gain in the first half.

e. Overall the secondary was good, but also improving. Not only their communications, but their coverage as the game went along. The only troubling stat was that Denver converted on 8 of 15 third down opportunities. That's too high and needs to get better.

7. General football thoughts from Sunday's games -

a. Oakland has a better offense than the Broncos. Their OL is supposedly elite. That's my big worry vs our no-name DL - On the other hand, their secondary is a mess, and after watching our OL erase the Denver rush, I can see a big day for the offense. How ironic. A shoot out in Mexico City. ;)

b. Saw a few highlights of the Colts Game and have 2 thoughts. I saw Mingo make a few plays on the regular D, and wondered if we should have kept him. He was great on ST's here. but I had hoped he'd develop a role on the regular defense. It seem like has done than in Indy. Did they simply make him a higher offer, or did we just dump him.

Jabaal Sheard is very quietly having a very good year with the Colts. That one I know was all about the money. ;)

c. Do you know that Elandon Roberts now has more tackles than Jamie Collins (34-31), though Collins has a pick and FF. I've read some where where PFF has him ranked low, and it looks like he isn't making much of an impact on the Browns' D. Certainly much less of one than he made here. What's up with that. Did we dodge a $10MM/yr bullet? Looks like.

d. For the last 2 seasons, Ben Rothlessberger has SUCKED on the road. He's not much better at home, but he IS better. The Steelers are really lucky they won today. That being said, Ryan Shazier is a really good LB and and interesting match up with Gronk. Could have been just a bad game for the Steelers on the road against a bad team, but I feel better about our chances in Pittsburgh a few weeks from now than I did Sunday morning.

e. God I feel for Phillip Rivers. For the last 2 years he's being living in a nightmare where is loses just about every close game the Chargers are in, and they're in a LOT of them. Today was no different. I saw the end of it and to say they (not Rivers) blew it would be an understatement. But it's 3am now and I promised myself I would go past that, So ask me about it tomorrow and I'll tell you about the 2 or three things that could have made that game a win for Rivers.

Goodnight all. Make your comments and complaints and get a good discussion going. This was the game we thought we were going to get every week when the season started. Which reminds me. Don't be righting off the 4-4, or 5-4 teams and the like. You shouldn't have to be reminded that way back in 2001 around this time of the year, our own Pats team was a very mediocre 5-5 and we all know how that ended up. ;)

special teams play...playoff caliber. It's mid November. You know what this is, Ken. I do. So do all the so-called "homers" and also the hordes of haters. It's the Patriots doing what they do....screw you, me and the rest of the passengers on the S.S. Knower-Of-Things. The beauty of this latest post is you absolutely nail where we are in relation to the rest of the league. I gave you a like but I also agree and it's a winner, too.

6. Front 7- The run D was decent. They allowed Denver RB's a very respectable 4.4 ypc over 26 carries, but I never thought they were ever running wild. It should be noted that a lot of those good runs came when the Pats were way ahead and expecting pass. Denver had to run the ball WELL to win. They never reached that standard. And like I said, while they didn't get any sacks, the DL at least made Osweiler "feel their presence".

I think stats will show the Rush D was solid on first downs but shaky on second downs. That may be the case in other recent games(?).

I feel like when the Patriots want to stop the run they can(want to = base D-bigger up front/middle). Getting Brown back makes for, IMHO, a front that can cause some stuffs and running against the Patriots won't be our demise. But when we move into packages suited for 2nd and 7 or 8 the opposition success is a bit too good. I'd expect some runs to work better against these packages, however, at times it's been a bit too good.

Gill being inactive is as others said: he's not a passing threat and the Patriots needed pass catching backs. The Patriots' gameplan was obviously (and very successfully) passing to the RBs and TEs. With 4 TEs and 5 RBs active, there just wasn't room for Gill.

In that 10 page essay (front and back -- j/k :)) you gave not one word to the Brian Hoyer era having begun. Come on....:)

Fwiw: I believe that was Denver's punt returner's (McKenzie) fifth muffed/fumbled punt reception of the year.

While re-watching some of Denver's games last week I saw a couple of them and during one of them the commentator stated it was his fourth. Immediately I wondered how the Pats would try to take advantage of that and right after the first series Ryan Punts a high ball to McKenzie and two gunners were breathing down his neck........MUFF. hahaha. I love it.

Which leads me to this question. IF the Pats gunners got to him too quickly he would have opted for a fair catch so how critical is the timing of the punt's hang time and when the gunners get to the PR? I'll bet it's something they work on. Just an assumption though but something I have never looked into or thought about.

Second thing was @long distance (IIRC) posted a Bellistrator discussing Denver's Def and how they overload the box. During that video I saw a screenshot where Denver overloaded the box and left 1 CB on the WR with a FS over the top. I thought that with Cook's and/or Dorsett's speed the Pats could take advantage of that. On Cook's biggest catch I saw the same look and they took advantage of it. In fact as soon as I saw that look I said to my son, "here comes a big play" and Boom Cooks has a nice pick up.

Which leads me to this question: That look was a single safety and the Pats ran one WR so why can't we get similar results with a Tampa two look and two speedy WR's?

It will be something I will post the all-22 about in the re watch thread but wanted to bring it up here since it's stuck in my mind.

As always great write up Ken. Thanks.

Saw a few highlights of the Colts Game and have 2 thoughts. I saw Mingo make a few plays on the regular D, and wondered if we should have kept him. He was great on ST's here. but I had hoped he'd develop a role on the regular defense. It seem like has done than in Indy. Did they simply make him a higher offer, or did we just dump him.

Jabaal Sheard is very quietly having a very good year with the Colts. That one I know was all about the money

Mingo was too expensive to keep with this projected playtime given what he showed in that one year he was here. His frame is just not built to be an elite NFL player. He reportedly cant keep his weight through the year. If he really plays consistently well in Indy it might just be another case of a player (like e.g. Ealy) that just fits into another teams scheme very well but not ours.

1. ST's- If there has been one thing (among several others) that distinguishs Bill from his peers is his maniacal dedication to special teams. I doubt any other teams dedicate so many roster spots to what we call "core ST's guys", Where else would Brandon Bolden still have a job. Where else would BB trade a pick to pick up a guy like Bademosi, who until he got to NE rarely played on the regular D, and the list could go on and on.

The thing is that this is not simply a situation where you pay a couple of ST aces and let them play but just an overall point of roster construction. They are not only great ST players but often are situational contributors to the defense. This is where BBs (and Caserios) roster building really shines because given the limited slots on the active roster if you just buy yourself a couple of Slaters you will have other holes on the roster once some starters are out with injuries.

He didn't go deep much, but when he did he overthrew his guys, but that is nitpicking of the highest order. ;).

I assume you are not only nitpicking but making fun of some posters with this a bit because I didnt really see any unintentional overthrows in Denver. Most of them were thrown like that by design (e.g. pass to Cooks vs Talib after he read the trap coverage on Burkhead at the end) because risking a turnover would do more harm than just throwing a 50/50 towards Harris or Talib.

I thought his best pass was the quick 9 yard gain to Cooks towards the end of the game. Because if they can get the timing on this down consistently it will open up the way that Josh can use Cooks in the short game. He obviously also had the usual brilliant seam passes to Gronk but those seem to be much more in his comfort zone than very quick slants so they almost felt a bit less impressive even though they also require a lot of skill and touch.

The run D was decent. They allowed Denver RB's a very respectable 4.4 ypc over 26 carries, but I never thought they were ever running wild. It should be noted that a lot of those good runs came when the Pats were way ahead and expecting pass. Denver had to run the ball WELL to win. They never reached that standard. And like I said, while they didn't get any sacks, the DL at least made Osweiler "feel their presence".

And all of that without Malcom Brown and VV.

Which leads me to this question. IF the Pats gunners got to him too quickly he would have opted for a fair catch so how critical is the timing of the punt's hang time and when the gunners get to the PR? I'll bet it's something they work on. Just an assumption though but something I have never looked into or thought about.

You might wanna look into some of the things that Chris Kluwe has written about punting:

The Toughest Position in Football is... Punter?

Is Sam Koch changing punting in the NFL?

And there are many more. With this specific question I would try to tweet at Chatham and see if he responds to it. He is usually very good about replying to people unless your msg gets lost initially because of bad timing (e.g. when he is distracted). And this looks like right in his ST wheel house.

That look was a single safety and the Pats ran one WR so why can't we get similar results with a Tampa two look and two speedy WR's?

My guess would be that it is more difficult to make the timing of the reads work against Tampa 2. With one WR you essentially have a one read situation and most probably a dump off somewhere if the play isnt there. With two receivers you have to stagger their respective windows accordingly and the OL needs to keep blocking a bit longer ? But I might just be spewing ******** right now.

How do you beat a team with elite corners.?
Razzle dazzle their S/LBs with a fleet of pass catching RBs.
A few years back, NE tried this game plan vs. Denver but didn't have the weapons to create separation. They do now.
Put me in the category of truther who knows definitively that BB builds rosters with schedules in mind. In 2016 verses the worst batch of QBs ever assembled, he patched together a secondary with little concern. In 2017 verses a schedule of quality QBs and big WRs, the secondary becomes a priority. And verses opponents with elite secondaries, BB has assembled a bounty of pass catching RBs for games just like Denver.

Great job Ken...a few added thoughts...

Denvers LB/Safeties heads must still be spinning....RBs and 3 TEs roaming all over the field....easily BB/Josh's best game plan of the year. They pinpointed Denver's weaknesses and exploited them with mastery. Reminded me of most Pittsburg contests.
I loved how Ghost was kicking short forcing Denver to return kicks...usually to the 20....a 5 yard net gain for NE every time. The little things add up.
Butler should not be buried for his rough night...Sanders should be praised for an elite performance of athleticism. Sanders is special but has lacked competent QBs in recent years to take advantage of his skills. My hope is Cooks can become such an impact WR for NE on a consistent basis. I believe the tools are similar.
Butler competed, was a fingernail away from making plays. Sometimes opponents can be better.
Speaking of Denver's weapons.....Elway has assembled a fleet of ........TWO targets total.
After the Dwayne Allen TD, I caught myself grinning like a Cheshire Cat. Given the reaction of his teammates, clearly Allen is not a worthless POS despite what the keyboard GMs say.
Call me excited knowing NE has 3 true NFL TEs to utilize now. Isn't this the type of TE bounty we've been waiting for ....for Josh to maneuver like a mad scientist. Factor in the fleet of all-purpose backs....the NE offense will be unlike any offense in the NFL. Pittsburg reshuffled their DBs....so NE comes at them with this new look. BB staying 2 steps ahead....I hope.
Great job NE for coming out of the bye week sharp and motivated.
Where did Brady's stride go? His stride was everything to him. The old adage....Adapt or Die comes to mind. Quicker release now? The spoils of pliability? :)
I am officially amped for this team...finally. I see the light

Last point......coaching is everything in this league and I'm not one to belittle anyone not named Goodell......but Vance Joseph and Ben Mcadoo seem completely overmatched. Their level of competence rivals former 49er coach Mike Singletary IMO.

Well written as usual..

I completely agree about ST's, even an idiot like Collingsworth figured out the Gostowski was kicking the ball "short" on kickoffs and there were a lot of kickoffs last night most of which were deep in Denver Territory.. the Patriots take tremendous pride in their special team play..

Did I hear that Matthew Slater got hurt last night??

Nice to see that 9 players caught passes last night, as that was my concern that our O was too predictable prior, nice to see Brady came back to Allen after a miss, and Bennett... what can you say.

Classic win the Pats played to their strengths, and the Broncos weaknesses were exploited..

Osweiler came as advertised an over-hyped QB who is not a very good talent.. not sure how long Elway and the Bronco's brain trust will stick with Vance Joseph their problems look deeper than just mediocre Quarterbacks..

Maybe I am oversensitive and defensive of our Patriots, but it seems as though Collingsworth is anti Patriot.. his side of the mouth comments are obvious.. we are done with that butthole for the 17 season..

1. I was positive that in my lifetime that was the biggest score differential for the Pats @ Denver. It was but not by as much as memory served. They beat the Tebow Broncos 41-23 in 2011. #3 on the list is before my time in the 39-10 drubbing in 1964. You always worry about the Pats @Denver, @Miami no matter what the records are, see 2004 4-12 Dolphins for reference. So when the media tries to downplay this win just because Philly kicked their ass last week they should review their history. A win in Denver is huge no matter the record.

2. I like Butler. I really do. Heady, smart, scrappy..........but not elite. Give Sanders credit he's a great receiver but there's no way an elite corner gets lit up like that. Thomas on the other hand confirms again why he's a powder puff receiver. He got tackled a few times last night where there wasn't even a lot of contact and you would have thought Ronnie Lott lit him up before the defenseless receiver rules.

3. Barring some, more, big injuries and a game where they just implode with turnovers I don't see anybody in the AFC who's going to beat this team. Yes KC blew them out week one but those are two different teams now. Pitt still don't have the defense to clamp down on Brady and Ben is holding his team back at this stage. That Jax defense is for real. If they got a turnover or two and were able to run the ball and limit Brady's chances they could be the worst match up.

4. The NFC is going to be interesting to watch play out. The Rams have a brutal schedule. @ Viking, Saints, @Cardinals, Eagles, @Seahawks, @Titans and 49ers. If they can go 4-3 I might start to believe. They have all the other top contenders on their schedule. I think the Vikings of that bunch are the frauds. Saints and Eagles are for real and the most likely NFCC.

5. Gileslee is officially back #4. I wonder if everybody stays healthy if we'll see him again.

6. What a load Bennett is. He could end up being the piece that pushes them over the top. Nice to see Allen contribute. That 3 TE package could be huge against a KC or Philly down the road.

7. Nice contributions to make up for no Hogan. If they survive this stretch without him the offense will be that much more diverse because of it.

8. Wise has to smarten up. That could easily have been a flag and in a tight game cost them dearly. You get that deflected pass to continue one dead drive and then a flag like that on another and you lose a game you might have won.

9. One of the few things the announcers brought up of value is Flowers emergence playing standing up. He is really becoming a complete player. Collinsworthless saying they have no elite talent in the front 7 is once again overlooking a complete player in the Willie, Vrable, Nink.....mold. He does so much that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. Setting the edge, drawing that penalty....

10. Gilmore on Cooper? If he has a good showing I'll start to view him as having turned the corner. Thomas as I've already commented on is a weak player for all of his great athletic talent. Marvin is tougher.

b. Our front 7 is really a bunch of no-names who individually won't throw a scare into DC we face. But once again they only allowed 16 points, and like I had hoped, the coverage and pressure got tighter and tighter over the course of the night, forcing Denver to make big plays (well mostly Sanders).
I also liked the fact that D played the full 60 and didn't give up anything in garbage time. Seemed they had more success on plays or they didn't go into full "bend" mode.

This is the time of year that we can identify the team we have and they continue to make improvements.

Getting Hogan back healthy will go a long way to giving decent opposing defenses even more headaches.....The OL protecting Brady without Cannon was big.....

Getting Brown back on the DL will be another plus....Winning a game handily,on the road, while missing 3 or 4 key players , shows not only the depth and flexibility of the Patriots but also the caliber of the coaching staff that BB has assembled.....

Great post per usual, Ken. Thanks!

Patriots surprised they were actually holding a football in their hands this game: Bennet, Dorsett, Allen and Hoyer.

The defensive snap counts.. glad to see Harris involved and even Francois got some time..

Screen_Shot_2017_11_12_at_11.55.11_PM.png

Everything was great last night except for Malcolm Butler. I can't understand why they had him playing so far off of Sanders. Presumably it was to keep Sanders in front of him, but then he'd get juked and Sanders would just blow by him anyway. He looked like a deer in headlights out there, getting turned every which way. It seemed to get better in the 2nd half, so maybe they adjusted. Gilmore they did not throw at much, but I don't know if that was out of respect for him or more that they thought they could light up Butler. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Butler seems to do better sticking with his man.

Getting Hogan back healthy will go a long way to giving decent opposing defenses even more headaches.....The OL protecting Brady without Cannon was big.....

Getting Brown back on the DL will be another plus....Winning a game handily,on the road, while missing 3 or 4 key players , shows not only the depth and flexibility of the Patriots but also the caliber of the coaching staff that BB has assembled.....
The offensive game plan was masterful, IMO. Denver has good corners? We're going to ignore them all night and make the LBs stick with our RBs and TEs. We'll only throw to WR short on a crossing route in the middle of the field or when you get lazy and leave him wide open. Even Hoyer looked good in relief.

You might wanna look into some of the things that Chris Kluwe has written about punting:

The Toughest Position in Football is... Punter?

Is Sam Koch changing punting in the NFL?

And there are many more. With this specific question I would try to tweet at Chatham and see if he responds to it. He is usually very good about replying to people unless your msg gets lost initially because of bad timing (e.g. when he is distracted). And this looks like right in his ST wheel house.

My guess would be that it is more difficult to make the timing of the reads work against Tampa 2. With one WR you essentially have a one read situation and most probably a dump off somewhere if the play isnt there. With two receivers you have to stagger their respective windows accordingly and the OL needs to keep blocking a bit longer ? But I might just be spewing ******** right now.

Thanks man. Tweeted and got an immediate response. Great idea.

Everything was great last night except for Malcolm Butler. I can't understand why they had him playing so far off of Sanders. Presumably it was to keep Sanders in front of him, but then he'd get juked and Sanders would just blow by him anyway. He looked like a deer in headlights out there, getting turned every which way. It seemed to get better in the 2nd half, so maybe they adjusted. Gilmore they did not throw at much, but I don't know if that was out of respect for him or more that they thought they could light up Butler. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Butler seems to do better sticking with his man.

@luuked @NE-VT @long distance

That's one of the things I'd like to look at in the re watch thread.

I suspect that was part of the game plan. Something along the lines of "Force Brock to throw it multiple times and he'll make mistakes" type of thing. "Mistakes" includes 3 and outs and only kicking field goals along with interceptions etc....

Van Noy with a solid game. Nothing special but he did he job and made the plays he was suppose to make. He really is starting to look like a guy who deserves to start in this league to me.

Flowers really has done a good job holding the edge pretty much all year. I don't think that is talked about much. BTW Flowers has played on 91% of the defensive snaps this year. Right now the next closest active front 7 player (besides Van Noy) is Guy at 55%.

Roberts seems to have changed his game a bit. You don't see him attacking like he use to be he seems to not be blowing plays either. Probably smart to ease back on the aggression till he learns more. No doubt the coaches talked to him about it.

Harris is really starting to make his presence more felt now. Without Hightower that signing will matter a lot more. He seems to make a few plays a week that you notice. Good pop and presence out there.

I love looking at season total snap count on Defense. That Pats use a lot of guys but when healthy the 7 they want on the field at all times pretty much are... McCourty Gilmore, Butler, Chung, Harmon, Flowers, Van Noy. Everyone else they mix and in rotate.

Of course Hightower would be in that mix too if he wasn't on IR.

Last edited:
The defensive snap counts.. glad to see Harris involved and even Francois got some time..

Screen_Shot_2017_11_12_at_11.55.11_PM.png

I saw one play in which Harris was in pass coverage which resulted in an incompletion. May have been more but just remember the one. Harris has been a valuable asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3