PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock: Solder has ‘tremendously high ceiling’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Light might be Cannon fodder.....:D

That's a big "if", I know Vollmer can already play LT, I wouldnt want to trust the most importand position on the O-line to a rookie if Vollmer can do it better.

What if the dropoff from Vollmer to whomever on the rightside is larger than the improvement from Solder to Vollmer on the left?

You don't even need to read between the lines on this one, BB has stated that Solder is a LT and everything points to the kid being inserted very early.

What if the dropoff from Vollmer to whomever on the rightside is larger than the improvement from Solder to Vollmer on the left?

You don't even need to read between the lines on this one, BB has stated that Solder is a LT and everything points to the kid being inserted very early.

I'm advocating putting Solder on the right side and Vollmer on the left. Vollmer is nasty, I'd rather have an experienced player on the left as opposed to a raw rookie protecting TFB.

Any why would you take anything BB says at face value?

Last edited:
I'm advocating putting Solder on the right side and Vollmer on the left. Vollmer is nasty, I'd rather have an experienced player on the left as opposed to a raw rookie protecting TFB.

BB has said a few times that Solder will play left tackle and left tackle only. He will either start on the left side, or on the bench.

As for the face value, the more important question is, why would BB say that? He could easily have just brushed the question off but he was very specific about. Solder is a left tackle.

Last edited:
I guess that means we won't seeing Solder playing QB then :D

Last edited:

Belichick is one who 'shades' the truth, and he's also one who avoids telling the truth by not answering questions, but how often has he actually lied about the position a player is going to play?

Solder will be at LT, hopefully behind Light for 1-2 years, and Rowling will be playing cornerback.

BB has said a few times that Solder will play left tackle and left tackle only. He will either start on the left side, or on the bench.

As for the face value, the more important question is, why would BB say that? He could easily have just brushed the question off but he was very specific about. Solder is a left tackle.

Why would BB say that? Hmmm, I would think that having both Vollmer and Solder being fits at LT would give BB more leverage in negotiating with Light, but I doubt BB would ever think of that sort of thing;)

Why would BB say that? Hmmm, I would think that having both Vollmer and Solder being fits at LT would give BB more leverage in negotiating with Light, but I doubt BB would ever think of that sort of thing;)

I can't imagine that would have anything to do with anything. If anything, that would increase Light's leverage because it diminishes NE's options.

Solder will be at LT, hopefully behind Light for 1-2 years, and Rowling will be playing cornerback.

Makes no sense.....a #17 draft pick should be ready to be inserted into the lineup at least halfway into the season, if not sooner.....I expect Solder to be starting this season.....he'll be getting too much $$$ to be a bench warmer....

If Light gets signed, it's because Mankins didn't cost a bundle and there's something left over for what Light is looking for....

Makes no sense.....a #17 draft pick should be ready to be inserted into the lineup at least halfway into the season, if not sooner.....I expect Solder to be starting this season.....he'll be getting too much $$$ to be a bench warmer....

If Light gets signed, it's because Mankins didn't cost a bundle and there's something left over for what Light is looking for....

Solder's not considered ready by most of those who've watched him, even those who love his upside. Like most of the rookies, he's not getting the sort of offseason that would help him get ready. The first round thing is generally meaningless, as well, particularly on the better teams. I expect that, if Light gets signed, it's because he's going to start at left tackle for the next 1-2 years, barring injury.

You might be right..but I just don't see it happening.....

Vollmer was thrown in.....and swam....and I have a feeling that bb and Dante think Solder is an even better prospect.....Dante has some work to do with technique, and Nate will be in the weight room more for sure....but I don't see a one or two year learning curve for this kid....

I hope to make it to TC in August and check things out for myself...just have to pick a cloudy day as August tends to be HOT as blazes....grab a shady spot on the hill and enjoy a cold drink :D

(assuming there IS a TC in August)

I can't imagine that would have anything to do with anything. If anything, that would increase Light's leverage because it diminishes NE's options.

How does having Vollmer and Solder, both being available to play LT, decrease BB's leverage? Since we have not only 1 but apparently 2 guys capable of playing the position Light's negotiating for I'd say our "demand" is pretty low given the supply.

Rowling will be playing cornerback.

jk-rowling-harry-potter-deathly-hollows.jpg

Wouldn't have been my first choice, but I can see where an "Immobulus" spell would be useful against bigger receivers. ;)

Seriously though, has Belichick said anything about Dowling exclusively playing at CB? If that turns out to be the case, my enthusiasm for the pick goes down significantly.

How does having Vollmer and Solder, both being available to play LT, decrease BB's leverage? Since we have not only 1 but apparently 2 guys capable of playing the position Light's negotiating for I'd say our "demand" is pretty low given the supply.

Because you can only play one at a time, and according to BB the choice is either a Solder/Vollmer or Vollmer/Kazcur. By stating that Solder is only a LT, that means he'll either see the field or be on the bench, increasing the value of a proven vet backup plan.

If you say Solder could play RT, that adds an additional alternative option, decreasing the backup need.

Solder's not considered ready by most of those who've watched him, even those who love his upside. Like most of the rookies, he's not getting the sort of offseason that would help him get ready. The first round thing is generally meaningless, as well, particularly on the better teams. I expect that, if Light gets signed, it's because he's going to start at left tackle for the next 1-2 years, barring injury.

Nah. Solder will absolutely be the starter by the beginning of 2012 at the latest.

jk-rowling-harry-potter-deathly-hollows.jpg

Wouldn't have been my first choice, but I can see where an "Immobulus" spell would be useful against bigger receivers. ;)

Seriously though, has Belichick said anything about Dowling exclusively playing at CB? If that turns out to be the case, my enthusiasm for the pick goes down significantly.

Post draft presser with BB:

"He's got a lot of qualities that we like in a corner," Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick said in a press conference following Day 2 of the Draft. "He's a smart kid, been in a good program, done well in that system. We can see him playing all the different types of coverages that, at some point or another, we would use. He's a good tackler, plays well in the kicking game, so I think he'll be a good addition for us."

He isn't likely to get a starting position his rookie year given the considerable amount of personnel the Pats already have at cornerback. First-round selection Devin McCourty was a Pro Bowl pick his first year, so Dowling won't be ousting him at least this year. Veteran Leigh Bodden is also slotted as outside cornerback, putting up five interceptions for 60 yards and 63 total tackles last season, and has three more years left on his contract.

So it might be a little while before Dowling gets any starting nod. While some may consider him a viable option at safety, Belichick does not appear to be heading down that route.

"He hasn't played safety," Belichick said. "But I think he has the size, ball skills and tackling ability that you could probably make an argument that he could project in there if you wanted him to. I think for right now, we'll play him at the corner, but he is big. He does tackle well. He's tough. He's got good range, good ball skills. I wouldn't say that he couldn't play in there, but that isn't really what he's done."

"We really felt like Ras-I Dowling was a good pick for us [at No. 33]. Big corner, good tackler, been in a good program there in Virginia with coach [Al] Groh and Mike London this past year. [He's] a guy that's played in a system pretty similar to what we've run. Very impressive kid."

Nah. Solder will absolutely be the starter by the beginning of 2012 at the latest.

Well, since I got called on the Harry Potter typo (thanks Metaphors! :p ), I'll point out that 1-2 years would be covered by the beginning of 2012, as that would be 1 year.

Well, since I got called on the Harry Potter typo (thanks Metaphors! :p ), I'll point out that 1-2 years would be covered by the beginning of 2012, as that would be 1 year.

Yes, but there's an extra "2" in there, changing the context a little. ;)

You might be right..but I just don't see it happening.....

Vollmer was thrown in.....and swam....and I have a feeling that bb and Dante think Solder is an even better prospect.....Dante has some work to do with technique, and Nate will be in the weight room more for sure....but I don't see a one or two year learning curve for this kid....

I hope to make it to TC in August and check things out for myself...just have to pick a cloudy day as August tends to be HOT as blazes....grab a shady spot on the hill and enjoy a cold drink :D

(assuming there IS a TC in August)

Vollmer played well as a rookie, although not as well as a lot of people here were thinking. Still, he had his issues, even though he'd had the offseason to prepare. Solder needs to increase strength, improve footwork and do something that Vollmer is still struggling with (in terms of consistency) after two years, which is learning to keep his body low.

heh.....and Matt Light is STILL struggling with the fast outside rushers....after how many years :D

Nobody is saying Solder will be a Pro Bowler his rookie year....but he is the future and will be given every chance to succeed....

Those redwoods we have at tackle should work to our advantage on draw plays..:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes