PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts: the Happy New Year edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
10. General comments:

a. I thought the refs were solid. The Phins had about 10 yds more than the Pats all told, but it could have been more if the Pats had accepted all the ones they got. In the end they kept the game moving and out of the limelight. Too bad I saw where that ref was retiring after today.....figures

Great stuff, Ken, except for the comment about the refs.. . They did their best to keep the Phins in this game. There were numerous calls they ignored or botched.

- Suh not getting an unsportsmanlike penalty when he swung at Blount
- The Miami TE not getting called for holding Ninkovich which allowed Ajayi's 11 yard run outside.
- The Miami Tackles not getting called for holding while Thuney get's called for the exact same thing..
- Edelman getting an Unsportsmanlike conduct call but the Miami players not getting called for taunting..
- The False Start call on Fleming when he didn't move while others were still getting set.

The guy retiring is the Head Linesman of that crew, not the ref..

-

Agreed...as with everything else, things are magnified in the playoffs. Can't settle for field goals.

I'm not sure if you mean for this to be as negative as it sounds? The same thing used to be said about Mayo, and we know how highly regarded he was by Belichick.

You think it's a conscious thing? It might be, but I feel like it's brainlock or something...can't imagine these guys passing up the chance to wallop Brady.

I do think it was a conscious decision. That would be a massive brainlock. imo

upload_2017-1-2_12-5-38.png

Well, he has a playoff game to get the 1/2 sack, if it counts for incentive bonus.
Pretty sure that Post-Seasons don't count for stat based incentives unless specified that they do..

If when you say "media" you are referring to Fouts then I think you are basically answering your own question. That moron was once again bumbling and fumbling throughout the game and at one point called the Pats "Miami". :eek::eek:

I've alluded to it repeatedly in the chat, but scotched-up Fouts is our generation's scotched-up Madden, except without the ability/willingness to contribute meaningfully with the Xs and Os.

I do think it was a conscious decision. That would be a massive brainlock. imo

View attachment 15427

I've thought about that play. It almost looks like it was an unstated gentleman's agreement; "you pretend to block and I'll pretend to lay the wood". But yes, it almost reminds me of the treatment Gretzky got in his later years. While guys like Lindros were getting blown up after the instigator rule came about, Gretzky never really had to deal with it.

Great stuff, Ken, except for the comment about the refs.. . They did their best to keep the Phins in this game. There were numerous calls they ignored or botched.

- Suh not getting an unsportsmanlike penalty when he swung at Blount
- The Miami TE not getting called for holding Ninkovich which allowed Ajayi's 11 yard run outside.
- The Miami Tackles not getting called for holding while Thuney get's called for the exact same thing..
- Edelman getting an Unsportsmanlike conduct call but the Miami players not getting called for taunting..
- The False Start call on Fleming when he didn't move while others were still getting set.

The guy retiring is the Head Linesman of that crew, not the ref..

-

During Blount's run they could have called the Pats for holding as well but didn't. So I guess it went both ways.

upload_2017-1-2_13-7-39.png

Last edited:
Well, he has a playoff game to get the 1/2 sack, if it counts for incentive bonus.
then let's hope he has a multiple sack game in the 'Phins win next week before being shut out in their season ender the following week!

One of the things that got me a bit riled at the moment is how the media is portraying the GL turnover and runback. I know it's technically a fumble, but I really think that Devin McCourty is not getting enough credit for CAUSING that fumble. From my view, Williams barely had the ball long enough to constitute a carch when McCourty punched it out. It's hard to blame Williams for McCourty's good play.....and the media should make more of it.

They were all over the Seattle secondary when they were doing the punching out. I remember complaining (back before the TO's started to happen) that we weren't being proactive enough. Now we certainly are.
IIRC from the replay he had possession and took two or three steps including turning to look for running room (definite football move there) so no doubt on long enough possession here.

IIRC from the replay he had possession and took two or three steps including turning to look for running room (definite football move there) so no doubt on long enough possession here.

You recalled that correctly. That's exactly what happened.

]During Blount

We also caught a break with a bogus pass interference call on miami on a pass to Hogan.

That's right. I forgot about that. Anyways there were blown calls on both sides of the ball.

Pretty sure that Post-Seasons don't count for stat based incentives unless specified that they do..
I was asking that.....maybe if he gets one against the steelers, and a win...his agent can negotiate.....glad he didn't earn it yesterday though.

Anyways there were blown calls on both sides of the ball.

You trying to get yourself run out of town here? Don't you know that Refs are always biased against the Pats? :)

The universal perception of bias among fans is really interesting. Bad calls against the team you support have much greater salience than bad calls that go the other way. So that explains why an opposing fan's "facts" aren't the same as my "facts" even though we watched the same game. Selective observation of the game and then even greater selective recall.

Perhaps a lesson for the country as a whole.

You trying to get yourself run out of town here? Don't you know that Refs are always biased against the Pats? :)

The universal perception of bias among fans is really interesting. Bad calls against the team you support have much greater salience than bad calls that go the other way. So that explains why an opposing fan's "facts" aren't the same as my "facts" even though we watched the same game. Selective observation of the game and then even greater selective recall.

Perhaps a lesson for the country as a whole.

The only game I've ever thought the officiating was one sided was during last season's Denver game. But I do try to stay objective as difficult as that may be. :)

]During Blount

We also caught a break with a bogus pass interference call on miami on a pass to Hogan.

Umm.. WRONG. It wasn't bogus. It was plain as day if you watched the guy's right arm.. Hell, even Eagle and Fouts admitted that it was the right call because the CB clearly had his right arm around Hogan and was pulling him. .

That's right. I forgot about that. Anyways there were blown calls on both sides of the ball.

Except it wasn't bogus. It was actually the correct call. The CB had his RIGHT arm around Hogan and was pulling him..

Except it wasn't bogus. It was actually the correct call. The CB had his RIGHT arm around Hogan and was pulling him..

The point of that statement was in reference to whether or not officiating was one sided or not. That called PI was close and if the officiating was favoring Miami they could have let that go which they did not. That was the point.

Mt Brother-in-law caught my look of utter disgusted when I heard him state he thought I-an Eagle and Dan Fouts were great commentators. In as few words possible and without causing any arguments, I told him to see the plays and how slanted/biased they were against the Patriots.

Miami getting all those passes completed over the middle during the early/mid parts of the game. I noticed a few rub routes that had the Miami defenders initiating contact with some of our defenders to create some separation for those receivers. Of Course, none of that was mentioned by the aforementioned commentators.

I don't think the announcers were particularly biased. I think they're just horribly bad.

I don't think the announcers were particularly biased. I think they're just horribly bad.
I think it's subtle. For example, when running slow motion for the running TD they note that Develin could have been called for a hold. But they don't point out the same thing that happens when there was obvious holding against the Dolphins.

Just the slant that the Pats got away with one and the other team plays clean. I don't think they make things up, but omit things that would favor the Pats or disfavor the opponent.

I think it's subtle. For example, when running slow motion for the running TD they note that Develin could have been called for a hold. But they don't point out the same thing that happens when there was obvious holding against the Dolphins.

Just the slant that the Pats got away with one and the other team plays clean. I don't think they make things up, but omit things that would favor the Pats or disfavor the opponent.
You impart infinitely more subtlety to those idiots than I think they could ever be capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3