PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock: Solder has ‘tremendously high ceiling’

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there's also the :confused: factor with BB. For all we know, he could decide to play Arrington at LT.

LMAO...How true is that ! :rocker:

Solder and Seabass will be inserted on the D line on passing downs...deploying the jumping jack defense. Solder will also be a 4th TE option on the goal line offense. I also expect Solder to hoist little Jonathan Kraft on his shouders for a better view from the sidelines. Finally, he will serve as personal body guard to Mr and Mrs Bundchen when they carry their money around.

- I never said any tub of lard can bull-rush him, you're making an argument against a point which I never made, but Solder was successfully bull-rushed against players MUCH smaller than him. I actually referenced a player for that job who is extremely athletic and doesnt have a lot of fat on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CObtOq1MRA

- Brace was actually coming along and looked like he was starting to become a solid player but then he got injured, hopefully this season he breaks out.

- Also, a 2nd string player isn't necessarily bad, he's just not as good as the first string player.

- It's a big mistake to assume that just because a player is hefty he has no wind.

- 'If a particular move works there's no reason to stop using that move' -Michael Strahan

Good god, whatever you do don't google Blaine Summer.

Last edited:
- I never said any tub of lard can bull-rush him, you're making an argument against a point which I never made, but Solder was successfully bull-rushed against players MUCH smaller than him. I actually referenced a player for that job who is extremely athletic and doesnt have a lot of fat on him.

Call it what you want. NT is the probably the hardest position on defense to fill and many teams are still searching for one who is starting quality. If you prefer the term JAG then call it that. Sure that pron star, I mean NT, was pretty athletic but he also wasn't expect to get drafted and didn't for a reason.

We have an excellent track record with high round OL and if blowing up our LT was gonna be as easy getting a guy off the streets to come in and destroy Solder he wouldn't be the pick at 17. Hell he probably wouldn't be considered by any team until round 4 or 5.

All players have weaknesses but that doesn't mean just anybody can take advantage of them. The guys I would expect Solder to struggle most with would be guys like Kelly Gregg of Balt or Arron Smith of Pitt but not just any back-up on any team.

- 'If a particular move works there's no reason to stop using that move' -Michael Strahan

Your comparing a HOF,#5 in career sacks and holder of the single season sack record, to a back-up NT. Apples to oranges.

And unfortunately I googled Sumner before seing future posts warning me not to. :eek::bricks:

Last edited:
Call it what you want. NT is the probably the hardest position on defense to fill and many teams are still searching for one who is starting quality. If you prefer the term JAG then call it that. Sure that pron star, I mean NT, was pretty athletic but he also wasn't expect to get drafted and didn't for a reason.

We have an excellent track record with high round OL and if blowing up our LT was gonna be as easy getting a guy off the streets to come in and destroy Solder he wouldn't be the pick at 17. Hell he probably wouldn't be considered by any team until round 4 or 5.

All players have weaknesses but that doesn't mean just anybody can take advantage of them. The guys I would expect Solder to struggle most with would be guys like Kelly Gregg of Balt or Arron Smith of Pitt but not just any back-up on any team.

Your comparing a HOF,#5 in career sacks and holder of the single season sack record, to a back-up NT. Apples to oranges.

And unfortunately I googled Sumner before seing future posts warning me not to. :eek::bricks:

- It's doesnt take a Nose tackle, the point is that if you have someone with similar qualities, very heavy with a low center of gravity, with good explosion, he could potentially create a match-up problem who has issues with bull-rushers.

- As far as where he was taken in the draft, it's irrelevant. We drafted Maroney in the 1st and he sucked, Arian Foster wasnt drafted at all. Soldier has TREMENDOUS potential, and if he can realize a good portion of it he'll be a BEAST but he definitely has some issues form the film I've seen on him. IMO, it's how he sits in his stance on passing plays which is starting him off wrong and then leads to a play where he's struggling.

If he needs a fraction of a second to shift his body before he can get up, that's time his opponent has to get past him or push him back when he's not set yet. The other issue with him is that he has a tendancy to lean over to push people as opposed to pulling/pusing with his legs, leaning over is very common for taller people to do, it's an easy and cheap way to generate power because gravity is working with you but it also compromises your structure and leaves you off balance and vulnerable to being exploited.

Check out the plays at :51, 1:10, 2:01, 2:41, and 4:16, what do you see going on?

YouTube - ‪Nate Solder vs. Cal‬‏

- Regarding taking someone like 'off the street' to cause problems for the opposition, why not? Plenty of amazing football players went undrafted, I think if Sumner went to a bigger school he would have been drafted.

- Regarding Strahan, it's a concept that's important, and it doesnt matter if he uses it or an Amry or a poker player, use what works until your opponent changes what he's doing (IF that makes your tactics less effective).

- Sorry about the non-warning, it's been a while since I googled the guy, I forgot about his alter-ego:eek:

- As far as where he was taken in the draft, it's irrelevant. We drafted Maroney in the 1st and he sucked, Arian Foster wasnt drafted at all.

Come on now that's utter bs. Everyone single person knows that a 1st round pick has a higher success rate than an UDFA.

By your reasoning people should be thrilled we finally addressed the OLB position with the selection of Markell Carter. :eek:

Check out the plays at :51, 1:10, 2:01, 2:41, and 4:16, what do you see going on?

51 - beat around the edge by a smaller player. not the guy your describing.
1:10 - beat around the edge by the same guy
2:01 - same thing. DE gets a great jump on this play. Does the QB need to
to change up snap count?
2:41 - Solder thinks DE is going outside. When Nate takes a false step DE
exploits this and sacks qb.
4:16 - Solder blocks his man. at about 5.5 - 6 seconds into the play his
man touches the qb who is already on the ground. Perhaps you
meant . . .
4:24 - beaten pretty badly when player fakes inside, Solder bites and then
DE goes upfield

None of these plays was Solder beaten by the player you described. He also was never beaten by a bull rush on any of them.

it's how he sits in his stance on passing plays which is starting him off wrong and then leads to a play where he's struggling.

If he needs a fraction of a second to shift his body before he can get up, that's time his opponent has to get past him or push him back when he's not set yet. The other issue with him is that he has a tendancy to lean over to push people as opposed to pulling/pusing with his legs, leaning over is very common for taller people to do, it's an easy and cheap way to generate power because gravity is working with you but it also compromises your structure and leaves you off balance and vulnerable to being exploited.

Read this before I watched the youtube video and it describes what I saw really well. I didn't see a strength issue in the video much, more of a technique problem. All (possibly quickly) fixable issues. I'll add Brady will make a big difference. Not only was did the CU qb not know how to step up into a pocket on the 1st sack but the D seemed pretty keyed into the cadence. Brady is a master at mixing snap counts so that should help Nate get back that split second.

- Regarding taking someone like 'off the street' to cause problems for the opposition, why not? Plenty of amazing football players went undrafted, I think if Sumner went to a bigger school he would have been drafted.

Sure it could happen. But those guys don't turn into the player they are in week 1 they come into the NFL. Perhaps I was mis-interpretting what you were saying. I was taking exception to the idea that a team could sign a guy from the street for the week they are playing the Pats. That guy would dominate us and suck against other teams b/c Solder was just exceptionally weak.

- Sorry about the non-warning, it's been a while since I googled the guy, I forgot about his alter-ego:eek:

I was extremely careful what I typed into youtube to look up Sumner after my initial google search. :D

Come on now that's utter bs. Everyone single person knows that a 1st round pick has a higher success rate than an UDFA.

By your reasoning people should be thrilled we finally addressed the OLB position with the selection of Markell Carter. :eek:

No, but it would be very foolish to completely dismiss Carter because of his late selection.

51 - beat around the edge by a smaller player. not the guy your describing.
1:10 - beat around the edge by the same guy
2:01 - same thing. DE gets a great jump on this play. Does the QB need to
to change up snap count?
2:41 - Solder thinks DE is going outside. When Nate takes a false step DE
exploits this and sacks qb.
4:16 - Solder blocks his man. at about 5.5 - 6 seconds into the play his
man touches the qb who is already on the ground. Perhaps you
meant . . .
4:24 - beaten pretty badly when player fakes inside, Solder bites and then
DE goes upfield

None of these plays was Solder beaten by the player you described. He also was never beaten by a bull rush on any of them.

I never said he was beaten by a bull-rush on those plays, I only asked you what you saw;)

Read this before I watched the youtube video and it describes what I saw really well. I didn't see a strength issue in the video much, more of a technique problem. All (possibly quickly) fixable issues. I'll add Brady will make a big difference. Not only was did the CU qb not know how to step up into a pocket on the 1st sack but the D seemed pretty keyed into the cadence. Brady is a master at mixing snap counts so that should help Nate get back that split second.

Again, I never said it was "strength", though people seem to enjoy parroting various NFL analysts in the hopes of sounding intelligent. I'm of the opinion that you could add 50% to Solder's bench press and it wouldnt make much difference. I think it has more to do with his lower body flexibility and coordination, if he can get better body alignment in his stance he can come out of it quicker and not have to chase the play, that is very correctable.

Sure it could happen. But those guys don't turn into the player they are in week 1 they come into the NFL. Perhaps I was mis-interpretting what you were saying. I was taking exception to the idea that a team could sign a guy from the street for the week they are playing the Pats. That guy would dominate us and suck against other teams b/c Solder was just exceptionally weak.

I meant nothing of the sort, Solder could get to the point of dealing well with a bull-rush but he'll need to improve his technique. My main point is that the more extreme one gets in one area the more vulnerable one becomes elsewhere, a yin/yang sort of thing, being that tall can help a lot with run blocking, he can essentially fall forward onto someone, but when he needs to remain upright that same height can be a liability, he then has to work against gravity to stay standing.

The tall, long armed OT is an attempt to counter to the speed rushers along the edge, I think if we see a Yao Ming out there as a tackle you'll see a paradigm shift occur and it wouldnt be edge rushers but bull-rushers becoming the sought after weapon. That said, I still think Sumner is a future beast that would be a handful to Pro-bowl O-lineman, and that getting under them and pushing them back would be his speciality.

Last night I was scrolling the channels and CBS Sports channel had the replay of Arkansas vs LSU game on. I said "oh Boy, I can focus on Mallett and Ridley in game action".

Then I looked at the clock and saw 4:30 left in the game with Arkansas up by 10. So I got to see Mallett make some awesome handoffs to his RB's. I did get to see Ridley make a powerful 5 yard run. :D

LOL, just reading along and came across Blaine Sumner. WOW that guy is total beast, did he get drafted or what?

Last edited:
LOL, just reading along and came across Blaine Sumner. WOW that guy is total beast, did he get drafted or what?

He is beastly but wasnt drafted, which means we can pick him up as soon as Free Agency starts...IF it starts:mad:

Man I can't wait to see that guy play in a NFL game! Brady will get even better protection than last year! :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down