PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins, Wendell, Welker land on CBS Sports' annual most overrated or underrated list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mankins, Wendell, Welker land on CBS Sports' annual most overrated or underrated

Of course your response is silly.
A linebacker is a linebacker.
Not sure what your point is.

Re: Mankins, Wendell, Welker land on CBS Sports' annual most overrated or underrated

A linebacker is a linebacker.
Not sure what your point is.

Comparing production of receivers who run pass patterns vs comparing defender with different responsibilities is far from the same thing.
Calling Mayo an inside LB is not demeaning his play. Calling Welker a slot receiver surely is.

Comparing production of receivers who run pass patterns vs comparing defender with different responsibilities is far from the same thing.
Calling Mayo an inside LB is not demeaning his play. Calling Welker a slot receiver surely is.

Well now we're getting into things that I wasn't even arguing. All I'm saying is that:
For the last 3 years we ran primarily a 2WR 2TE 1RB offense, so there is not a slot WR.
isn't true. Even with 2/2/1 personnel on the field, the Patriots found tons of ways to put Welker in the slot, and that's where the majority of his snaps, targets, and receptions came from.

If we define a "slot receiver" as a receiver who plays the majority of his snaps in the slot, then Wes Welker has been a slot receiver these past three seasons despite the Patriots' base offensive personnel. You can use whatever "demeaning" definition you want, but from a pure statistical standpoint, there's no problem with having Welker as a "slot receiver" (my definition) in a 2/2/1 offense, because that's exactly what happened.

That's all I'm saying, and you can argue about the worth of "slot receivers" with someone else.

Welker is a slot receiver Andy. Can he play outside the hashmarks? I'm sure he could but his primary role is in the slot. I'm not sure why you're hung up on this.

Best of all time is not measured in a 3 year stretch.

Best of all time is measured in 'Jerry Rice' and no one should dispute that.

And no, Wes Welker isn't close to being one of the greatest of all time, though he is certainly a great player.

But calling Herman Moore one of the greatest of all-time (along with Hines Ward, Sterling Sharpe, Art Monk, and a few others on that one guy's list)...

He might be a bit overrated but he has been hurt last two years or so. I'll tell you one thing, dude's one mean son of a ***** and he inspires those around him to play better.

I hear ya, but it doesn't justify the money he's being paid and the CAP pie he's taking up.

I hear ya, but it doesn't justify the money he's being paid and the CAP pie he's taking up.
Which could be said about any highly paid player in the year following a torn ACL, with probably the single exception of Adrian Peterson.

First of that is actually not correct. For the last 3 years we ran primarily a 2WR 2TE 1RB offense, so there is not a slot WR.

Of course qualifying him as a slot receiver is a slight. It implies he is not a real receiver, but a very limited one with limits in his ability. Historically a 'slot receiver' is a guy who comes in on 3rd down. Of that adjective is demeaning to a guy who outproduces almost every reciever you don't put that limiting adjective on.

There is no arbitrary number on 'one of the best ever'.
Some of the players on your list are very, very debatable such as Moore, Monk, Reed, Ward, and Sharpe whos career was cut short.

He is a wide receiver. He is compared to wide recievers and he is one of the best of alltime. My comments that you responded to were directed at a post the demeaned him as a 'slot' receiver who was Bradys 'binkie' and apparently only produced because Tom Brady is such a poor QB he ignores wide open recievers to throw to a triple teamed Welker.

Even if he lined up exclusively outside for three seasons, which he did not, he only did so for three seasons. Semantics aside, Andy, for I do not wish to get in to a semantic match.

I don't demean the "slot". I think if you catch passes, and are not a running back or a tight end, you are a wide receiver. If others have demeaned the slot, that's on them, but never on me, for I am a big believer that in the modern NFL the slot receiver can and has been a dominant force (Cris Carter, Hines Ward, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz). Make first downs. Make touchdowns. Make big plays. I don't cares wheres you lines up.

That post that I responded to, that you responded to, was wrong. Brady did not throw to Welker because they were good pals. Or anything "binkie" related---I hate that phrase, and it to me implies a level of fandom that I cannot comprehend or relate to---which is irrational love for a player regardless of production. The only player I feel that for is Tom Mufuggin Brady---the best football player I have ever seen. He threw to Welker because he is/was f***** awesome, and f***** open.

If you think that being a slot receiver means he is "a limited one with limits in his ability" I do not agree. (that phrase hurts my brain, it is not particularly articulate. It also is rooted in things I did not say and in non-factual posts by other non Herc-Rock cats). I think he was/is someone who could dominate from the slot position. He was not as dominant from the outside position. I don't think that is up for debate. That does not limit what he has done. We will have to agree to disagree (somehow, even though it's clear to me that we agree).

I agree that Welker is a Hall of Famer. I feel that saying that Warren Moon is one of the best quarterbacks of all time is false, even though he is a Hall of Famer. We will have to agree to disagree (even though we clearly agree).

I ONLY objected to the "best receivers of all time" comment. Now that I see that your list is a country club, and not a finite list, I can agree that my man Wes belongs.

As for the people that you list as objectionable, I know people from the run-happy era would rank Monk favorably, I put Moore on the list because he had a run where no matter who threw him the ball he made crazy plays (Scott Mitchell and he set the catch record), same with Sharpe pre-injury. I'll concede Ward on the list, although I feel he belongs in the pantheon of greats for his all around play----that SOB was a G.D. playa no matter whether we like the Steelers (and I hate em) or not. He blocked like a Tasmanian Devil on roids. (which he likely was, as a Steeler. They looooooove roids).

"Of that adjective is demeaning to a guy who outproduces almost every reciever you don't put that limiting adjective on."

I will say that the sentence quoted hurts my brain, because it doesn't make even remote sense, even if I agree with your overall point. Please, review that sentence. Just wanted to make it clear that you should scroll back on that edit button and make sure that what you're saying doesn't jam up people's signals. Because that phrase is a real affront to the greatest language in the world. As a Hall of Fame type on Patsfans, I expect coherence, Andy! Hahahaha, just joshin, only joshin, don't take it personal, I don't have time to respond to taking that personal. I like both you and Deus as posters, and don't want to spend two days debating complete semantics with you. You both make great points that I agree with, and that you agree with, if we all agree to meet each other at the mesh point of facts and relevance and make a left turn at vitriol.

I ONLY objected to Wes' classification as a NON-slot receiver (he has spent the majority of his production as a slot guy) and to his inclusion as one of the best of all time (significantly covered in my reply, knowing there is no finite number I include him). I disagreed with what you said because I disagreed. I feel we can put this issue to bed now. I hope that you, who I replied to, and Deus, who jumped in, can agree with me.

Well now we're getting into things that I wasn't even arguing. All I'm saying is that:
isn't true. Even with 2/2/1 personnel on the field, the Patriots found tons of ways to put Welker in the slot, and that's where the majority of his snaps, targets, and receptions came from.

If we define a "slot receiver" as a receiver who plays the majority of his snaps in the slot, then Wes Welker has been a slot receiver these past three seasons despite the Patriots' base offensive personnel. You can use whatever "demeaning" definition you want, but from a pure statistical standpoint, there's no problem with having Welker as a "slot receiver" (my definition) in a 2/2/1 offense, because that's exactly what happened.

That's all I'm saying, and you can argue about the worth of "slot receivers" with someone else.

Where are you getting data stating where he is lined up?

Where are you getting data stating where he is lined up?

Reiss had an article with the numbers a while back. I don't know what the exact numbers were, but it was higher than I expected.

All of this is a moot point because being a slot receiver does not make him a lesser receiver. If every decent player could put up 110+ catches, 1200+ yards by just playing in the slot, they'd do it. They can't. Welker can't be Calvin Johnson, but Calvin Johnson can't be Welker. They're playing almost completely different positions. Doesn't make Welker less of a player.

As for the people that you list as objectionable, I know people from the run-happy era would rank Monk favorably, I put Moore on the list because he had a run where no matter who threw him the ball he made crazy plays (Scott Mitchell and he set the catch record), same with Sharpe pre-injury. I'll concede Ward on the list, although I feel he belongs in the pantheon of greats for his all around play----that SOB was a G.D. playa no matter whether we like the Steelers (and I hate em) or not. He blocked like a Tasmanian Devil on roids. (which he likely was, as a Steeler. They looooooove roids).

Monk was a compiler who probably shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, but got some lobbying from guys like Peter King over the years and finally got in.

Sharpe could have been one of the best of all-time, and certainly looked it once Favre replaced Tomczak and Majikowski, but I think the injury shortened career kills him.

Herman Moore, though... sure, he had a great few years. But here are a few players whose careers compare to Moore's favorably from the same era or slightly after who you didn't include on your list (rightfully so, they were very good players but not greatest of all-time): Gary Clark, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Joe Horn, Chad Johnson, Andre Rison, Isaac Bruce, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, Keyshawn Johnson, Eric Moulds, Anquan Boldin, Muhsin Muhammad, Donald Driver.

There are a number of players from the 90s and 2000s you didn't include who were substantially better than some you did (Terrell Owens, Steve Lofton, Torry Holt, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Reed, heck Calvin Johnson) who would have some argument on the list, to say nothing of guys from previous eras (John Stallworth, Raymond Berry, Don Hutson, Charley Taylor, Tommy McDonald, Charlie Joyner - I think you had one of Steve Largent or Lance Alworth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST