PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett already comparing himself to Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not well is true. But various people have been publishing long lists of DE/OLBs who were drafted and did not work out. (And short lists of ones who did.)

They're upgrading over the likes of TBC and Ninko, not Vrabel in his prime.

“In the long run, what caused him to fall in the draft may have worked out for the best,” Jim Mallett, Ryan’s father, said. “Because he can have a 12-15 year career following Tom Brady.” Not if he starts at 30...which is what he will be if Tom plays another 6 seasons here...which won't even take him past 39. Honestly, the Mallett's need to stuff a sock in it.

They're upgrading over the likes of TBC and Ninko, not Vrabel in his prime.

I would be interested in your comments on this post to Mike Reiss's mailbag. I cannot evaluate the players mentioned; perhaps you can.

Digger wrote: In the past five years, 39 OLBs have been chosen in the first two rounds of the draft (2006-2010). Of those selections, only Lamarr Woodley, Tamba Hali and Clay Matthews have been significantly more productive than the player the Patriots are trying to replace (Tully Banta-Cain). That represents a 7 percent success rate, in my view. Of course not all play the same system, but a quick look of previous drafts find a graveyard of Jerry Hughes, Clint Sintim, Larry English, Bobby Carpenter, Robert Ayers, Everette Brown, Jarvis Moss, Aaron Maybin, etc.

New England Patriots draft mailbag: Measuring success of draft class starts with Ras-I Dowling - ESPN Boston

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like his attitude. Bring it on!

at this point, I'd like to compare MYSELF to Tom Brady..

he's tall...so am I

so THAT proves it..(whatever that is..)

If Aaron Rodgers stays healthy, he'll be a HOF, even with a late start.... he is the real deal. If Julio Jones works out in Atlanta, Matt Ryan has an outside shot. Drew Brees will probably be a HOFer, but I don't think he'll ever reach the lvl or a Brady or Manning.

based on philip rivers stats alone, he's almost a lock (if he keeps putting up the same stats)

yeah..he's this generation's Done Noringo...as in Dan Marino

I would be interested in your comments on this post to Mike Reiss's mailbag. I cannot evaluate the players mentioned; perhaps you can.

New England Patriots draft mailbag: Measuring success of draft class starts with Ras-I Dowling - ESPN Boston

Without going into every player on that list, I'll compare a couple of those "graveyard players" who were in their second seasons:

Larry English - 2nd year player last year, played in only 8 games, still had 17 tackles and 3 sacks

Robert Ayers - 2nd year player last year, played in 11 games, had 39 tackles and 1.5 sacks
Everette Brown - 2nd year player last year, in a 4-3, 13 starts, 20 tackles, 3.5 sacks

Aaron Maybin - 2nd year player last year, Dolly Parton sized bust so far

TBC - Well seasoned vet, played in 15 games, 45 tackles, 5 sacks

Other than Maybin, who's been terrible in both the 3-4 and 4-3 fronts, I don't see where these graveyard players were much, if any, worse than TBC, in terms of production.

Last edited:
Hello Pat fans. I am new to this board, I am a Arkansas Season ticket holder and have seen every game Mallett has played for the Hogs. Let be first to say you got a great one in Mallett, he is by far the best signal caller EVER at Arkansas, that includes Joe Ferguson in case you are wondering.

I am not aware ofr any "off the field" issues with Mallett, he did have one public in-tox his first year at Arkansas. That was three years ago. His arm is ,well just incredible. I have always been a Packer fan and I can tell you he can make any throw Favre ever made. He has that kind of arm. If you would like to ask me anything please fire away.

Ryan Mallett plans “payback” after Dolphins pass on him | ProFootballTalk

Ryan Mallett says he's just like Tom Brady - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

I like the kids enthusiasm but seriously,you can't jump out and compare yourself in any which way to one of the greatest QBs of all time when you haven't thrown a pass in a regular season game yet,whether that is a complimentary statement or not.

As the other link shows,he is now doing the 'disrespect' card of Miami passing on him and wants revenge....sound familiar like Brady and the long wait in 2000

I truly think the aura of playing on the same team as Brady has gotten in this kids brain, he needs to realize that unless another Pollard type hit lands on Brady,he may have a LONG wait until he can show anything.

Do you like the enthusiasm or is it a little premature and out of bounds?

Brady has two years tops before Mallett will force him to the bench.

As far as the "just like Brady" comments go, I'd tend to agree with Mallett: physically, their style of play (e.g., not looking to run very often/at all) is very similar. The rest of it, we'll see.

In general, backup QB is one of the few places where I think fire is appropriate; a young backup QB who's content to just be a backup QB probably shouldn't be.

Like Brady, but with a much stronger arm.

Like Brady, but with a much stronger arm.

Brady has some mileage on his elbow and shoulder. He is still incredibly adept at reading defenses and captaining the offense. He is a true team leader and an inspiration. Does Mallet posses these qualities?

Mallett was always a great team leader at Arkansas, even in time when he was injured against Bama last year he was the one on the sideline pushing Wilson and the rest of the team. He is a great student of the game. Not to talk down Brady, but Brady never had a arm like Mallett, you will see that very soon.

As his Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino said, I don't know where the rumor came from that he wasn't a team captain. He was elected by the team players both in 2009 and 2010. He was selected by his teammates in 2009 even when, as a new transfer, he was still battling with the frosh QB phenom for a starting position.

I won't speak to the second, except to say Arkansas was hardly the choice to be in competition with Alabama and Auburn for the SEC and national championship, so the talent level was not judged to be as good. But that is where they ended up as I recall. Since when is it a put down to be compared to Peyton Manning?

Arkansas will be the class of the SEC this year and for a long time to come with coach Petrino, who is a good friend of your coach

I hate to break it to you guys but Brees has already passed Brady in Yards.

I hate to break it to you guys but Brees has already passed Brady in Yards.

brees is a HOFer IMO

not just because of the ring and the stats, but as much as i thought his comments about san diego were ****-ish, when he was leaving via free agency, the guy pretty much helped rejuvenate a devastated city and community

i think that's going to mean alot to the voters

Brady has two years tops before Mallett will force him to the bench.

Based on what, Mallett having an arm like Jeff George?

Based on what, Mallett having an arm like Jeff George?

in NE, with the potential mallet has, that's the best regime to get the most out of mallet

going to a place like my own chargers if they didnt have rivers, or oakland (marinovich part II) it wouldn't be the best place to instill discipline

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft