PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett already comparing himself to Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few comments on the previous posts blasting away at the comparison between Brady and McNabb. These guys are quite comparable in age as contemporaries and the fact that they rank 1-2 all-time in INT to TD ratio was an amazing statistic to uncover. If McNabb keeps getting snaps in DC he'll surely drop away from that lofty perch.

The point was more to compare how the Eagles addressed an aging/injured QB situation. Andy Reid and his brain-trust took some pretty bold and successful steps to maintain the possibility of top-flight QB play as McNabb reached 33 - Brady's age. There's also the anchor of the big contract against the cap that has to be considered when a stud QB gets into his mid-30s. Brady will be 34 before the 1st snap of the regular season this year (if there is one).

The Mallett pick is quite similar to the Kolb pick. It's not a stretch to say Mallett has more talent and potential than Kolb given his SEC experience compared with Kolb's Conf USA experience. Mallett is 3rd rounder who dropped and Kolb was high 2nd rounder (36 overall in 2007). Kolb was the sixth rated QB in the '07 draft and Mallett was the 7th QB selected this year.

The other comparable QB of this era is Manning. The Colts don't seem to be doing anything. Curtis Painter and Peyton Manning are the only QBs on their current rosters and Polian did not draft a QB this year. Manning is a year older and I just don't see how they're preparing for Manning's downside, which one can hope is nigh.

The Pats, at least, have a nice stable of talented back-ups now, so that when Brady declines in productivity, they have somewhere to turn.

The Eagles and the Patriots have similar approaches to their personnel moves and both take gambles on top talent: Vick- Moss for example. Both cut elite guys loose very quickly - McNabb - Seymour. I think both teams pattern themselves after the Policy/Walsh 49ers and are always looking ahead and assessing value. As fast as the rosters change, both teams are competitive every year along with the Steelers and the Colts who also make roster moves that are not based on nostalgia or sentiment.

Last edited:
The other comparable QB of this era is Manning. The Colts don't seem to be doing anything. Curtis Painter and Peyton Manning are the only QBs on their current rosters and Polian did not draft a QB this year. Manning is a year older and I just don't see how they're preparing for Manning's downside, which one can hope is nigh.

Indy are risking alot with that! Manning is getting on (in football terms) and as we know, one hit and he is lost for the season. And unlike 2008, I cannot see Indy coping without him! They have talent, but Manning ties it all in!

Just a few comments on the previous posts blasting away at the comparison between Brady and McNabb. These guys are quite comparable in age as contemporaries and the fact that they rank 1-2 all-time in INT to TD ratio was an amazing statistic to uncover. If McNabb keeps getting snaps in DC he'll surely drop away from that lofty perch.

The point was more to compare how the Eagles addressed an aging/injured QB situation. Andy Reid and his brain-trust took some pretty bold and successful steps to maintain the possibility of top-flight QB play as McNabb reached 33 - Brady's age. There's also the anchor of the big contract against the cap that has to be considered when a stud QB gets into his mid-30s. Brady will be 34 before the 1st snap of the regular season this year (if there is one).

The Mallett pick is quite similar to the Kolb pick. It's not a stretch to say Mallett has more talent and potential than Kolb given his SEC experience compared with Kolb's Conf USA experience. Mallett is 3rd rounder who dropped and Kolb was high 2nd rounder (36 overall in 2007). Kolb was the sixth rated QB in the '07 draft and Mallett was the 7th QB selected this year.

The Pats, at least, have a nice stable of talented back-ups now, so that when Brady declines in productivity, they have somewhere to turn.

The Eagles and the Patriots have similar approaches to their personnel moves and both take gambles on top talent: Vick- Moss for example. Both cut elite guys loose very quickly - McNabb - Seymour. I think both teams pattern themselves after the Policy/Walsh 49ers and are always looking ahead and assessing value. As fast as the rosters change, both teams are competitive every year along with the Steelers and the Colts who also make roster moves that are not based on nostalgia or sentiment.

When you compare two QBs who are vastly different, different styles, different strengths, different performance, different abilities, based solely on their age and the fact that the team drafted a backup then you should expect to hear some dissenting opinions.

Frankly, you completely miss the boat on both the "comparables" as well. At 33, Donovan was 6 years removed from his best season. Brady had his best and is considered the top QB in the entire league.

Philly drafted Kolb with the intention of giving him a couple years to develop into McNabb's successor. NE grabbed Mallett because they felt lucky to have made it through 2009/2010 with only two QBs and wanted to improved the backup situation.

Sure, his topside potential is intriguing, and it certainly opens the doors to a potential transition. But if NE's goal was to snag Brady's successor, why did they do everything, including leaking to Lombardi their interest in Mallett, to drum up a market for that pick?

Sure, his topside potential is intriguing, and it certainly opens the doors to a potential transition. But if NE's goal was to snag Brady's successor, why did they do everything, including leaking to Lombardi their interest in Mallett, to drum up a market for that pick?

I rahter doubt BB views Mallet as an heir so much as a potential heir, if he turns out to be that great, but there was also the potential of what BB could have gotten in exchange for that pick. Mallett simply represented more value at that point than the alternative.

I rahter doubt BB views Mallet as an heir so much as a potential heir, if he turns out to be that great, but there was also the potential of what BB could have gotten in exchange for that pick. Mallett simply represented more value at that point than the alternative.

Agreed. It's always about value. This could be The Guy. Or this could be Matt Cassell who turned out to be a huge surprise and a great value.

Didn't mean to 'blast' anything, Heels. That's not my style, and really doesn't accomplish anything.

Your stat on the McNabb/Brady TD--INT is a nice find. I was really going more for tongue in cheek humor than trying to be nasty. There are many differences between the 2 obviously, but when you explained your stance a little better it does make some sense.

I think the bottom line is that the perceived 'value' by having the opportunity to take Mallett in the 3rd was just too rich to pass up, as we all know that his raw skills and college numbers/strength of opponents were very good. I think it was all about improving the overall state of the QB position, and if it ends up being a homerun--all the better. I do not think that BB went out and purposely chose to find Brady's successor, but I do think that he took a decent pick to improve the overall state of the QB position, just the same way that TE's were addressed last yr, and RB's and the OL this yr.

If you would like to ask me anything please fire away.
I have one.....Is this you?

494c04c3785eb2689c595e20b55d16cb.jpg

Last edited:
Indy are risking alot with that! Manning is getting on (in football terms) and as we know, one hit and he is lost for the season. And unlike 2008, I cannot see Indy coping without him! They have talent, but Manning ties it all in!

I'm calling it now, the Colts will stink this year, Caldwell will get fires, Gruden will take over has HC, and he'll work out a deal to get Tebow as his QB in waiting.

After reading countless scouting reports on the young man, all I can say it hopefully he is attempting to show us he has a sense of humor. Among Patriot QB's, Drew Bledsoe would be his closest comparison. Perhaps rather than grooming a replacement for Tom, Bill decided to take a flyer in a draft he saw less value/depth potential in than most on the theory he could have won with Bledsoe had he been the HC to draft him...

Oh Lordy, please, please don't invoke the curse of Bledsoe when talking about Mallett. I think that Mallett has a lot more fire in his belly than Drew ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back