PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett already comparing himself to Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mallett should STFU until he does something significant... such as impregnating both a Hollywood starlet and the world's hottest Super Model

Yep,can you name another HOF first ballot guaranteed QB right now that has played like Brady and Manning since 1996??

Unfortunately, Ben Roethlingsberger will get in on 1st ballot due to his 2 SB rings. He's not as good as Brady or Manning, but the 2 rings will get him in.

The Jets passed on you as well Ryan.

The Jets didn't call Mallett and tell him that they planned on drafting him the way Miami did.

If Mallett kept away from illegal things while in college he would have gone before Gabbert did,I have no doubts....its HIS fault the Dolphins passed on him,they didn't want to take a chance.

Mallett never failed a drug test in college.

The Dolphins called Mallett and told him they were going to draft him. Which is an idiotic statement for them to make to begin with.

Saying something to another player in private is one thing, running your mouth to the media is another.

First of all, he wasn't "running his mouth" to the media. Running your mouth to the media is going to them (not them coming to you) and saying "I hope Brady likes watching from the bench". Which isn't what happened.

PatsfaninPA and you have totally blown out of proportion the comments.

Mallett's comments are similar to what I said the night of the draft after Mallett was taken by the Pats when a bunch of people were perplexed and dumbfounded by the pick.

Mallett's play is similar to Brady's, particularly his footwork in the pocket. He's not "Frankenstein" Bledsoe in the pocket. Does Mallett need to improve? Sure does. He's got a ton of learning to do. But here's the thing. He's got one of the GOAT for a HC and he's got another GOAT as a mentor for the QB position.

Clearly he has a chip on his shoulder that he wants to come in and perform. That is a great thing for a kid like that. You want that in a player and a QB.

And, as I said the night of the draft. Only time will tell if Mallett reaches the expectations or not.

You're delusional about the kid. His pocket presence is highly questionable under any kind of pressure and he makes Tommy look like a roadrunner... He's reportedly outstanding at diagnosing plays on the blackboard, he's decent at reading pre-snap defenses but his achilles heel is post snap reads and blitz pickup. Wait til he experiences that at this level...

I am curious as to where you got you information on Mallett.

Here is part of what NFLDraftscout.com said:

NFLDraftscout.com said:
Reading Defenses: : Excellent height to see over the top of his linemen and read defenses. Good field vision, showing the ability to check down from his first and second options to drop passes off to outlet receivers. Flashes the ability to look off the safety, but most do this more consistently. Generally reads the blitz coming and can make defenses pay for their aggression by hitting the hot route, but doesn't possess the athleticism to escape the pocket when he is surprised.

On the Move: Can slide laterally to avoid the rush. Improved significantly as a junior in stepping up in the pocket to buy time. Willing to take a big hit to complete the pass. Has heavy feet and long legs, however, causing him to take longer than most to set his feet and throw accurately when forced to vacate the pocket.

OK. Of the things you mentioned, only the blitz pick-up gets mentioned. It's mentioned that he can slide laterally to avoid the rush and step up in the pocket.

This is actually very similar to how Brady was described leading up to the 2000 draft. Including the "heavy feet" But we know what "Heavy Feet" look like from "Frankenstein" Bledsoe.

Last edited:
Mallett doesn't sound like a very bright guy.

Brady may have been scarred by his draft but he kept it mostly private and channeled his energy into proving everyone wrong over several long years of hard work and private determination.

No he didn't. How can you say that he "kept it private" when Brady goes up to the owner and says to him (paraphrasing) " Mr. Kraft, I'm Tom Brady. You won't regret the day you drafted me"

I personally hope he comes into camp and beats out Brady for the job. I have no problem with what he said, I don't want a pansy running the team, I want a ****y bastard who is in control of the game and knows that at points during the game, it is all going to fall on his shoulders, every last bit of it. I want him to be so sure of himself that he has no problem with that responsibility. I don't want him to be nervous with 11/2 minutes left in the superbowl and it is up to him whether or not they win.

I thought the same thing about Brady when he came into the league.

The fire to succeed is something that fits quite well will the patriots way. I don't see why everyone gets their panties in a twist over Mallett. He isn't going to start until Brady is ready to let him start.

If the fire dies he isn't going to become the best player he could become. And he will keep Brady at the top of his game.

You can tell Brady was a little rattled by the selection after he felt it necessary to come out with the line about wanting to play for another 10 years in the league. So its already lit a fire under Brady and i think he will get off to a quick start next season. Should be good.

Unfortunately, Ben Roethlingsberger will get in on 1st ballot due to his 2 SB rings. He's not as good as Brady or Manning, but the 2 rings will get him in.

I disagree. If he retired today, Roethlisberger would not get into Canton. He's only been in the league seven years. His stats are solid but not remarkable. He didn't show up for his first SB game (QB Rating of 22.6 with the big pass play by Randel El for a TD) and needed a circus catch to win the second.

On the flip side of that, he's only 28 and is playing for a great organization and coach, so he could get the third ring, which would put him in no matter how he plays. But, he has to get it first.

I don't look to him to put up awesome stats over nine or 10 more seasons, as I think it's reasonable to question his longevity given the hits he takes (and invites with his scrambling style). If I had to bet today, I'd say he retires before he turns 35.

Some red flags for me about Mallett:
1. His last 2 years he was the starting QB but both years was not voted a team captain any season.
2. I saw some NFL analytics article that showed something where against the top college competition, Mallett had 7 TD's and 7 int's, which was pretty Peyton Manning-esque on the college level against top competition.

As his Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino said, I don't know where the rumor came from that he wasn't a team captain. He was elected by the team players both in 2009 and 2010. He was selected by his teammates in 2009 even when, as a new transfer, he was still battling with the frosh QB phenom for a starting position.

I won't speak to the second, except to say Arkansas was hardly the choice to be in competition with Alabama and Auburn for the SEC and national championship, so the talent level was not judged to be as good. But that is where they ended up as I recall. Since when is it a put down to be compared to Peyton Manning?

I find it interesting that he says this: Me and Tom are kind of the same

And the headline says Mallett says he's JUST LIKE Brady.

Not only that, he was clearly replying to a question along the lines of "Do you see any similarities between you and Tom?" and the kid gave a valid answer. What is he supposed to do?

I sometimes feel bad for athletes dealing with media idiots. One idiot asks him an idiot question, another idiot pulls the answer out of context (or in the case of Peter King, the same idiot) and then finally an idiot editor or whoever slaps together a provocative just-barely-not-lying headline.

Miami F-ed up big time.

Whether or not he pans out, it was a position of need for them and there is no reason not to take a flyer on a QB with his potential upside. I bet they pissed their pants when BB selected him. I see this as one of those 'take a chance on greatness' picks. Aside from the fact that BB oviously loves the kid.

As far as the kid goes, from all accounts the kid is the football equivalent of a rink rat and if he fails it won't be from lack of effort. What he needs to learn is, at this point in time no matter what he says, the media is on his case and some media turd is going to turn on him like a pet coon. My personal feeling is...if he had the looks of a Brady or Marino (instead of a genetic deficient from Appalachia), he would be getting more of a pass and the media would be all over his jock.

Obviously BB sees it as good business to keep the next QB in the pipeline. I am sure he has looked at the boom/bust statistics for QB's and see's there is high risk of failure at that position....regardless of draft position. There is also evidence of gems being mined in the later rounds...obviously. It only makes sense to take a flyer annually...if only for trade bait later on. Or you can wait until you are screwed, going into the season with no true starter at your highest impact position and have to piss away a first rounder on a potential Ryan Leaf. Then dump him into the line up without the proper prepartion, increasing his chances of failure...like all the poorly run organizations.

I think you can also project this philosophy to 3-4 OLB. Obviously one of the most difficult positions to project to the NFL level, or BB would not so maddenly pass on countless prospects every year. Better to let some other team piss away high draft picks and either acquire them through free agency, or take a flyer in the later rounds on a developmental project. Nothing BB does is random. I am sure they have done the statistical analysis. That's why they pay Ernie.

I think you can also project this philosophy to 3-4 OLB. Obviously one of the most difficult positions to project to the NFL level, or BB would not so maddenly pass on countless prospects every year. Better to let some other team piss away high draft picks and either acquire them through free agency, or take a flyer in the later rounds on a developmental project. Nothing BB does is random. I am sure they have done the statistical analysis. That's why they pay Ernie.

Assuming your theory about Belichick's thought process is correct, how's this been working out since the days of Colvin?

VIPER SAID THIS TO MAVERICK "YOU R ****Y"

"I LIKE THAT IN A PILOT" VIPER QUOTE

I LOVE THAT IN A QB.

CALL ME KING:cool:

Last edited:
Assuming your theory about Belichick's thought process is correct, how's this been working out since the days of Colvin?

Not very well.

It's the only thing I can come up with. Or he's just too stubborn to adjust. To me that does not match his self effacing phylosophy. Also, Tedy recently said he prefers to find them in free agency, but he seemed to be shaking his head also.

Pittsburg seems to be able to develop quality OLB's on a consistant basis. Maybe he should steal someone from their organization.

Yep,can you name another HOF first ballot guaranteed QB right now that has played like Brady and Manning since 1996??

Favre. Oh, you said since 1996, not before.:) (Not that he was before, but the game has changed and this is only a joke...)

Is Dan Marino a failure because he was not able to get a ring?
Was Jim Kelly a failure because he did not win a ring?
Was Fran Tarkenton a failure because he did not win a ring?

SB Rings are won as a TEAM.... ...

Um, I'll tell you why your argument is over simplistic, if you actually bother to read.

FYI so is the "all that matters is rings" bit.

But the team stat argument is worse.

To have meaning any term needs an opposite. What is the opposite of "team stat?" Unlike baseball, football is a team game. A baseball players batting average has (arguably) nothing to do with his team mates.

Any football stat requires at least 10 other players. For a pass to be complete you need blockers, a catching receiver, receivers running decoy routes, an RB either blocking or faking a run or slipping into the pattern or any combination of the three, a TE doing like a RB minus the play action. (I'm not even getting into field position or knowing if defense is a sieve, etc.)

BTW, Marino, Kelly and Tarkenton do have obvious holes in their resume. Just as Favre will have the "interception" thing. Not failures, but, like Favre or a hypothetical great QB with 0 TD passes, the hole is obvious.

Oh, do you serious think Rivers is a "lock" for the HOF is he continues to play great but never gets to a SB? Not that you think he should be, but he "will" be.

Last edited:

Not well is true. But various people have been publishing long lists of DE/OLBs who were drafted and did not work out. (And short lists of ones who did.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes