PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac as 2024 Pats QB still possible

We seem to forget that there are (or should be) three QB roster positions.

1) veteran starter who would become backup if and when the hoped for top 10 QB is ready to start.
This starter should be able to give us average or average minus QB play (a HUGE improvement over 2023).

2) Developing top QB (whether he is draft at pick 1 or at the end of the first).

3) #3/emergency QB
There is little reason to add him to the roster every couple of weeks. Sign someone and let him have some value during practice each week. If this player is a veteran, it might be necessary to wait until Week 2 to put him on the roster. And yes, this player could be a late round rookie or UDFA.

4) We usually have 4th QB for camp, a camp arm.
=====================
My personal view is that Zappe shouldn't be any of these, and that Mac might stay (his salary is guaranteed). I would expect him to be the #3 QB during his final year. Obviously, we would listen to offers, perhaps during the draft or late in camp.

Free agents considering NE this offseason: Who's your QB in '24?
Mayo: Mac
Free agents: Ha ha....no, seriously
Mayo: Thunder loves the kid
Free agents: Thanks for the call. Hope you don't mind if I use you all as leverage when my agent negotiates with serious teams

I conveniently ignore your claims because they sound like BS. BB wanted to trade Corky, but Kraft would not allow it. Now you say that Kraft changed his mind at the trade deadline.
You realize there were reports last offseason that Bill was shopping Mac. There were also reports that no team was interested. Just like there were reports there were no calls for Mac at the trade deadline (when many teams were looking for back-ups).

Even if you believe Kraft interfered w/ Bill on trading him, who was this magical team that was willing to take him off our hands? Why didn't Bill draft a QB in '23?

You guys are always the same, when things don't go your way, you resort to fantasies and conspiracy theories to cope w/ the situation.

For >20 years there was nothing that happened in Foxboro w/o Bill's knowledge and no decision made w/o his approval. Now magically, in the last 2 seasons, the worse in Bill's career, all of a sudden it was Kraft making the decisions. How very convenient.

I wonder who these rumors benefit. Maybe someone that's unemployed?

Screenshot_20240122_205139_Firefox.jpg

Free agents considering NE this offseason: Who's your QB in '24?
Mayo: Mac
Free agents: Ha ha....no, seriously
Mayo: Thunder loves the kid
Free agents: Thanks for the call. Hope you don't mind if I use you all as leverage when my agent negotiates with serious teams
It’s March 2021, Cam Newton and what remains of his right shoulder has surprisingly been resigned and is the presumed starting QB. Patriots agree to deals with Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholor within the first 24 hours of the legal tampering period. It’s about the money.

Unless someone offers them an incredible offer to trade down in the first round, the Patriots are drafting a QB despite their other areas of need. There are 3 QBs in this draft with elite skill sets. When that opportunity presents itself, you can’t pass it up.

I believe Drake Maye will be the one still on the board at #3. He’s young and less experienced than you like. There’s no way he should get on the field until he’s ready and until he has an Oline that can adequately pass block and another receiver who can get open against man coverage. The same for Jayden Daniels if he should be the pick.

Bridge midge, what’s wrong with competition people? You don’t get the drafted QB ready by having a Jacoby Brissett around to show him how to make poor reads and throw interceptions. Bailey Zappe, as a rookie, totally outclassed Brissett when they started against each other in 2022. Competition is how you establish a QB not anointing one.

With reclaimed confidence, Mac Jones is better than any QB available this offseason other than Cousins or Mayfield, and neither of them is signing here in March. If Jones beats out Zappe, let him play and see what happens. Maybe, you can get a 2nd for him at the trade deadline from a team desperate for a QB because of an injury or if he plays real well then franchise him to trade like Cassel in 2009.

I’m an optimist and don’t believe we’re necessarily looking at a multi- year rebuild here. But, we’re not competing for a Lombardi in 2024. Why sell low on an asset that you might be able to reclaim its value to get a higher return especially when other short-term options available to you aren’t any better?

With reclaimed confidence, Mac Jones is better than any QB available this offseason other than Cousins or Mayfield......

I’m an optimist...

You can say that loud :D

You realize there were reports last offseason that Bill was shopping Mac. There were also reports that no team was interested. Just like there were reports there were no calls for Mac at the trade deadline (when many teams were looking for back-ups).

Even if you believe Kraft interfered w/ Bill on trading him, who was this magical team that was willing to take him off our hands? Why didn't Bill draft a QB in '23?

You guys are always the same, when things don't go your way, you resort to fantasies and conspiracy theories to cope w/ the situation.

For >20 years there was nothing that happened in Foxboro w/o Bill's knowledge and no decision made w/o his approval. Now magically, in the last 2 seasons, the worse in Bill's career, all of a sudden it was Kraft making the decisions. How very convenient.

I wonder who these rumors benefit. Maybe someone that's unemployed?

View attachment 56151
I ask again, but will never get an answer and never the truth.

Did Kraft watch 4 games of Corky and BOB and decise to trade? What game did Kraft bail out?

None of this BS adds up and if you don't know how much Kraft has been involved with his team I cannot help you.

Kraft told BB to trade Jimmy.and now Kraft picked his own puppet for his HC.

The mechanics, ****ty body language and lack of mental toughness are what make him hard to watch. Let him compete in camp, but I would thoroughly dread watching him lead this team in any more games.

The team and Mac need a divorce in the worst way.

If Mac is going to resurrect his career, he has to go to a team where the locker room is not already biased against him.

S.F. Is the best fit for him. In terms of weather, ability, and arm strength Purdue is a decent comp to him, but Purdy has been able to run Shanahan’s system while Jones flamed out in NE. And if the pre draft reports were somewhat true then they may be able to get a Day 3 pick out f them for him.

I could see it, though I'm more inclined to say he gets traded after the draft, possibly during early camp. I can see them signing a mid-level vet (like a Brissett type), drafting someone at 3, then letting Zappe and Mac compete for the 3rd QB role, with it going to whoever seems to have the best attitude going into camp. But as rough as the QB room has been, I'd rather have Mac or Zappe as QB3 than the revolving door we had this past season, so better to keep those options open until you're sure you don't need them.

Jones has to go, he’s done here, no one believes in him. I would like to see them sign a Tannehill or Garrapolo, draft a QB at 3, then draft a QB they like as a project on day 3 of the draft. Zappe can fight it out with them. This will be really relevant it the draft Daniels, as that means a system change, in which case Tannehill and a Malik Cunningham type pick late in the draft would be a good QB room, and allows for the offensive system change.

He needs an attitude change. He needs a comprehensive offseason program including weight training. He needs a QB guru who can help with pocket presence and intangibles. He needs to learn to stfu and exhibit a quiet strength under pressure. This isn’t the star high school QB on prom night.

Showing up at the new coach’s presser is nice, but putting in the work is better. Thats the only way he has a chance to resurrect his career, in NE or elsewhere.

It’s March 2021, Cam Newton and what remains of his right shoulder has surprisingly been resigned and is the presumed starting QB. Patriots agree to deals with Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholor within the first 24 hours of the legal tampering period. It’s about the money.
Congrats to Jonnu's and Nelson's agents for hoodwinking a desperate team.

I ask again, but will never get an answer and never the truth.

Did Kraft watch 4 games of Corky and BOB and decise to trade? What game did Kraft bail out?
Patriots were 2-6 at the trade deadline. Mac had 9 TDs to 10 INT/FL (incl. 3 Pick-6s - led the league). Mac was benched twice. Not sure what more he needed to see. There was zero interest in Jones at the trade deadline.

He needs an attitude change. He needs a comprehensive offseason program including weight training. He needs a QB guru who can help with pocket presence and intangibles. He needs to learn to stfu and exhibit a quiet strength under pressure. This isn’t the star high school QB on prom night.

Showing up at the new coach’s presser is nice, but putting in the work is better. Thats the only way he has a chance to resurrect his career, in NE or elsewhere.
You highlight Mac's two fatal flaws as an NFL QB. By all accounts Mac works extremely hard, he should be able to improve his strength and mechanics over time. His real issues are rooted in who he is from a personality perspective and how he is wired mentally. 1. He is not a natural leader, his teammates don't have confidence in him as a result they do not give maximum effort. 2. He is a robot who does not play based on instinct. As a result when faced with pressure situations that are not according to script he panics. It is very hard to change who you are, I can't see Mac ever being a reliable NFL QB.

Patriots were 2-6 at the trade deadline. Mac had 9 TDs to 10 INT/FL (incl. 3 Pick-6s - led the league). Mac was benched twice. Not sure what more he needed to see. There was zero interest in Jones at the trade deadline.
Not what I asked.

When did Kraft OK the trade? Pick a week? HAHAHA

Despite your tall tales of BB in total control, its well documented that Kraft got BOB in NE to work with Corky.

Game 10 post trade deadline.

401662051_765252062283599_2497791614796660652_n.jpg

You highlight Mac's two fatal flaws as an NFL QB. By all accounts Mac works extremely hard, he should be able to improve his strength and mechanics over time. His real issues are rooted in who he is from a personality perspective and how he is wired mentally. 1. He is not a natural leader, his teammates don't have confidence in him as a result they do not give maximum effort. 2. He is a robot who does not play based on instinct. As a result when faced with pressure situations that are not according to script he panics. It is very hard to change who you are, I can't see Mac ever being a reliable NFL QB.

Fair. I was trying to outline a possible path back to being a relevant NFL QB. It’s a tough climb. He might fail or he might learn.

Mayo heralded conditioning in his intro speech. He talked about leaders on that side of the ball. Mac (and a few others) should have been listening. If he doesn’t adapt, he won’t be around much longer.

Not what I asked.

When did Kraft OK the trade? Pick a week? HAHAHA
I have no idea, probably the week of the trade deadline. It doesn't matter since nothing materilized, just like during the spring. There was zero interest from other teams. That's why part of a package deal w/ draft pick swaps is the more likely way he'll get traded. He's damaged goods.

Despite your tall tales of BB in total control, its well documented that Kraft got BOB in NE to work with Corky.
What's well documented is that Bill wanted to keep Fat Matt as OC and Kraft insisted in bringing in a real OC but left it up to Bill to conduct the search. Bill picked BoB.

Game 10 post trade deadline.

View attachment 56157

Yes, that's the reaction of an owner you insist wants to keep Mac as QB1. Lol

Jones has to go, he’s done here, no one believes in him. I would like to see them sign a Tannehill or Garrapolo, draft a QB at 3, then draft a QB they like as a project on day 3 of the draft. Zappe can fight it out with them. This will be really relevant it the draft Daniels, as that means a system change, in which case Tannehill and a Malik Cunningham type pick late in the draft would be a good QB room, and allows for the offensive system change.

Why would anyone want Garropolo at this point? You cannot count on him to stay healthy. And he looked as bad as Mac Jones or Zappe did last year. He was awful. And he had real weapons to work with. Hard pass unless he comes in on the veteran minimum (which would never happen) and the Pats get another starting quality QB (then why would they need Jimmy G anyway?).

Why would anyone want Garropolo at this point? You cannot count on him to stay healthy. And he looked as bad as Mac Jones or Zappe did last year. He was awful. And he had real weapons to work with. Hard pass unless he comes in on the veteran minimum (which would never happen) and the Pats get another starting quality QB (then why would they need Jimmy G anyway?).
Jimmy G still shouldn't be in a sentence with those two based on accompaniments I wish both had his ceiling. I wouldn't want him as bridge QB either he's too injury prone.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back