PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac as 2024 Pats QB still possible

If you listen to the whole interview Mayo took some (veiled) brutal shots at Mac. Talking about leaders on the offense and mentioning a couple people, but not Mac. And also saying words to the effect of "When it's not going well some people change".

Zappe has started 8 games, Mac has started three years (42 games). Zappe has the potential to improve, he played an air raid system in college and had some development needed.

If I’m keeping one it’s Zappe, he costs nothing. Mac is pricy and in the last year of his contract, ship him out and draft another QB in the 1st or 2nd at the latest.

Zappe could be the bridge guy to the rookie, but they should bring another vet in maybe to provide competition.

Both years, Zappe got worse the more he played. Not better. His ceiling is a good back up QB. It is obvious. We don't need any more time with the guy.

If Zappe is the bridge guy, might as well take Marvin Harrison or Alt if Williams or Maye are gone because the Patriots will likely be in position to draft in the top 5 again next year.

Zappe needs to accept he is a back up QB and conduct himself as that or he should be shipped off. For all the stuff you can kill Mac for, he seemed to accept the back up role when he was put in it. Zappe doesn't seem to want to.

And Mac isn't pricey at all. He has a $4.9 million cap hit. If they cut him pre or post June 1, he still has a $4.9 million cap hit. If he is traded pre or post June 1, they save $2.7 million. In today's NFL, $2.7 million is nothing. Getting a trade partner would save the Pats some money and cap space. Cutting Mac would save them nothing.

Again personally, I would get rid of both guys (assuming Zappe still thinks he is a starter) especially if they are going to bring in an OC who isn't going to run the same offense that O'Brien ran last year. Then there is no need for continuity.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - if Kraft forced Mac on BB, why wouldn't he do the same to Mayo especially if he's convinced BB sandbagged Mac?

Mac being at the conference was no accident.
Agreed, I do have a crazy part of my mind that wonders?.. what if? Just what if. ? Mayo could Salvage Mac...

You people think that Kraft is giving up on Corky that easy?

Hahaha
You conveniently ignore the report that Kraft green lighted the trade of Jones at the deadline. That destroys your narrative. I think that after Kraft saw that pathetic throw by Mac, on a winning TD, the worse throw in the entire NFL all season, he was done with Mac.

I think he gets traded during the draft as a package for a move in position.

You conveniently ignore the report that Kraft green lighted the trade of Jones at the deadline. That destroys your narrative. I think that after Kraft saw that pathetic throw by Mac, on a winning TD, the worse throw in the entire NFL all season, he was done with Mac.

A move in direction?

Which way?

If you listen to the whole interview Mayo took some (veiled) brutal shots at Mac. Talking about leaders on the offense and mentioning a couple people, but not Mac. And also saying words to the effect of "When it's not going well some people change".
Here's that bit:

---

During the interview, Mayo addressed a variety of topics, one of which had to do with the future of Jones and the offense.

However, one thing that stood out was when Mayo was asked who the biggest leader on the team was, and his response was interesting.

“We have a lot of guys. I would say, for a long time – I’m not sure what [Matthew] Slater’s going to do – but for a long time, he’s been a great leader in that locker room,” said Mayo. “We have leaders defensively. We have [Deatrich] Wise. We have [Ja’Whaun] Bentley.”

“You look at the offensive side of the ball. You know, how ever you want to slice it, look, whoever the quarterback is, and you know this too, being a coach (to Jermaine Wiggins), the quarterback has to have some type of leadership ability. And hopefully, we can get to that point where …,” said Mayo, his voice trailing off for a moment before he continued.

“David Andrews, great leader on the offensive side of the ball as well, Hunter Henry, great leader on the offensive side of the ball. But what I will say is, it’s hard to lead through tough times and that’s when you really start to see people change, you really start to see the attitudes change, people getting in small huddles and things like that. And that’s when people are looking for a leader. When everything is not going right, they’re looking for a leader. When you’re winning games, it’s easy. ‘Like, come on guys, family on three … 1 , 2, 3 family.’ Then when you go on a six-game losing streak, you’re like, ‘forget it.’”

Hill obviously noticed the pause and the segue, and asked Mayo if he believed Jones struggled in that leadership role.

“I’m not saying that,” said Mayo. “What I will say is, when I think about Mac, he obviously has talent, and once again, we’re in the evaluation phase. I will say, with that, the confidence of a player is very fragile, especially these players now – like I’m an old man or something like that – but confidence goes a long way, and honestly, as we continue to evaluate as a coaching staff, we’ll see.”

He was also asked if he felt like, from a coaching staff perspective, if they let Jones down in terms of building his confidence.

Mayo admitted there were mistakes made, but that there was enough blame to go around.

“The thing I would say is, if you were to ask Mac Jones, he made mistakes along the way as well,” said Mayo. “Coaching staff, we made mistakes along the way as well, and I’m not just talking about the offensive coaching staff. One thing about Mac, you know, everybody talks to Mac. Special teams, defensive players, offensive players, we were trying to help him with that confidence. But I think everyone has … there’s enough blame to go around.”

As for the rumors about where the locker room was at in terms of potentially being split, Mayo also provided some insight there as well. He noted that it was tough for the defense to operate when they’d come off the field, try and come up with adjustments, only to have to go right back out there.

At the same time, Mayo admitted, it was tough to place the blame on one player, but that there were people who had “different opinions” on their situation.

“I would say, offensively, I mean, everyone was frustrated,” said Mayo. “Coaches were frustrated, players were frustrated. I would say on the defensive side of the ball, those guys did a good job just continuing to go out there and play. It’s hard to do things like that, right? You feel like you’re trying to make an adjustment real quick, and then it’s like, ‘Punt team,’ and it’s like, ‘Oh, no, not again.’ But at the same time, look, all those guys love Bailey [Zappe], they love Mac, it’s just who’s going to give us the best chance to win the game? And that’s what it came down to.”

“And once again, it’s hard to get a whole locker room to say like, ‘this is the guy.’ We’re not talking about Tom Brady here, the greatest of all time. [That’s] easy, alright? 99-100% of the locker room is like, ‘Yeah, that’s the guy.’ And then you start losing games and we have two guys who are still trying to find out who they are. What kind of player are they? Look, I’m not going to confirm that the locker room was split, but there were people who had different opinions.”

If Mayo is smart he'll see that congealing the entire franchise into one heart and mind is most important.
That's going to be impossible with Mac at this point.
He'll be in his 4th year, and we'll have a 1st or 2nd round QB being groomed.
Mac will NOT be in the "mentor vet" mood. It'll be more toxic jockeying and he'll be out to prove something.
Better all around to trade or dump Mac to go start fresh.
Either - sign a high-upside vet FA to be your guy (like Baker or Browning) AND draft a prospect to learn (& keep Zappe or Rourke as 2/3).
OR - sign a steady vet FA who could start for a year if needed (like Brissett, Dobbs, Siemian) AND draft your #3 guy

If he's that much of a problem, I wholeheartedly agree. Cut your losses and get him out. But I will add that if Mayo can't navigate that kind of conflict to the point where players are distracted before we've even gotten to camp, he's probably not long for the position anyway. That's part of why he's been hired: He's talked about as a leader of men. This is where you show that leadership. If Mac is a full on rotting, diseased organ, go ahead and remove him. But if he's just a little bit pissy, Mayo should be able to hold things together until after the draft.
Urgency may not be the right word. Mac is one of many distractions coming out of the wreckage of last year that need to be resolved as quickly as prudent. Trent Brown, the coaches, the offense that the team will run are other examples. The longer these things stay unresolved, the more distraction to the team. Mayo will absolutely need to lead the team through a number of unpopular decisions if he is going to be successful, Unless Mayo thinks he is the answer at QB, I am not sure that Mac is the place he wants invest his personal capital.

macJones.PNG

This is my hope.

Both years, Zappe got worse the more he played. Not better. His ceiling is a good back up QB. It is obvious. We don't need any more time with the guy.

If Zappe is the bridge guy, might as well take Marvin Harrison or Alt if Williams or Maye are gone because the Patriots will likely be in position to draft in the top 5 again next year.

Zappe needs to accept he is a back up QB and conduct himself as that or he should be shipped off. For all the stuff you can kill Mac for, he seemed to accept the back up role when he was put in it. Zappe doesn't seem to want to.

And Mac isn't pricey at all. He has a $4.9 million cap hit. If they cut him pre or post June 1, he still has a $4.9 million cap hit. If he is traded pre or post June 1, they save $2.7 million. In today's NFL, $2.7 million is nothing. Getting a trade partner would save the Pats some money and cap space. Cutting Mac would save them nothing.

Again personally, I would get rid of both guys (assuming Zappe still thinks he is a starter) especially if they are going to bring in an OC who isn't going to run the same offense that O'Brien ran last year. Then there is no need for continuity.
I don’t think you understand what a bridge guy means. He shows the rookie what it means to prepare like a pro, he provides a buffer so the rookie doesn’t have the weight of the world on his shoulders. It doesn’t mean he has to start the entire season, if the rookie can beat the bridge guy out, like Mac beat out Cam so be it.

They also don’t need to rely solely on Zappe, as others have pointed out they could bring in another bridge QB like Jacoby Brissett. You typically bring three or more QB’s to camp. Brissett and Zappe can battle it out to start, but hopefully the rookie advances quickly and forces himself into the lineup.

Also regarding Zappe, if eight starts was enough to determine his future Peyton Manning would have been relegated to the bench for the rest of his career after his rookie season. I know people hate all things Belichick, but this is silly. He’d be another competitive camp arm…. certainly better than Trace McSorley.

I don’t think you understand what a bridge guy means. He shows the rookie what it means to prepare like a pro, he provides a buffer so the rookie doesn’t have the weight of the world on his shoulders. It doesn’t mean he has to start the entire season, if the rookie can beat the bridge guy out, like Mac beat out Cam so be it.

They also don’t need to rely solely on Zappe, as others have pointed out they could bring in another bridge QB like Jacoby Brissett. You typically bring three or more QB’s to camp. Brissett and Zappe can battle it out to start, but hopefully the rookie advances quickly and forces himself into the lineup.

Also regarding Zappe, if eight starts was enough to determine his future Peyton Manning would have been relegated to the bench for the rest of his career after his rookie season. I know people hate all things Belichick, but this is silly. He’d be another competitive camp arm…. certainly better than Trace McSorley.

I understand what a bridge guy means. Zappe ain't it. A bridge guy is the starter until the rookie is ready which could be a year or two. Mac earned the starting job. A rookie could "earn" the starting job because Zappe ain't a starter.

Zappe can be here as a back up if he accepts that role and doesn't do anything to undermine a rookie. They need a QB who can start for at least a year if the rookie ends up with a redshirt year.

My guess is depending on who the OC is, Zappe and Jones could not be a scheme fit even if they could be the bridge starter.

And Manning from day one showed real flashes of brilliance. It is comical to compare him to Zappe. Zappe has the ability to make some good throws, but he is easily confused, holds onto the ball far too long, and doesn't see the field all that great.

Based on Mayo's comments yesterday, it doesn't sound like it:

He went so far as to inadvertently call out Jones and the lack of leadership, talking about whether or not the coaching staff deserves blame for how things went, etc, along with admitting the locker room was split - which was surprising.

He also essentially guaranteed they'll win more than four games next year. I highly doubt, with so much at stake, along with having been in those defensive meetings (which gave him a pretty good bead on the locker room), that he'll risk his own job for Mac.

Also sounds to me like he's got plenty of doubt about Jones, which also makes me feel like there's not going to be any rehabilitation project. I think he's seen what he needs to see, and I think Jones gets dealt this offseason.
Their entire argument is based on a report by the one guy, Wickerscam, they've been poo pooing this entire time. Yet they ignore the only identified source in his report.

"The Krafts had embraced Jones after he was drafted in the first round in 2021, hoping to build something close to a Brady-like relationship with him. Jones played well as a rookie under then-coordinator McDaniels, then regressed in 2022 under Belichick's patchwork offensive staff. Ownership argued against trading him, wanting to see what Jones could do with O'Brien calling plays, which this past week they denied saying through a team spokesperson."

A move in direction?

Which way?
Idk, hopefully up into top 2 to get their guy or into 1st Rd from 2nd to get their OT. Throw Mac in to sweaten the pot.

I

I'd like to see Brisket back as the veteran, tough guy, always plays, good example for a rookie QB.

Their entire argument is based on a report by the one guy, Wickerscam, they've been poo pooing this entire time. Yet they ignore the only identified source in his report.

"The Krafts had embraced Jones after he was drafted in the first round in 2021, hoping to build something close to a Brady-like relationship with him. Jones played well as a rookie under then-coordinator McDaniels, then regressed in 2022 under Belichick's patchwork offensive staff. Ownership argued against trading him, wanting to see what Jones could do with O'Brien calling plays, which this past week they denied saying through a team spokesperson."

Ian's article is based on a WEEI interview of Mayo himself. You can hear it for yourself.

I think Mac got a raw deal, to the point where it might be right to say he got screwed. Bill did the screwing, to be clear, with the help of a few of his chubby hangers-on. This failing is not the main reason I'm glad Bill is gone, but it might be the ugliest reason.

Did Mac "handle it well"? I hate this goddam question. It reminds me of a bully who picks on a kid until he cries, then mocks him for being a crybaby.

But that's over. As matters stand, I think it is genuinely and strongly in the interest of both parties for Mac to move on. The team gets for him what it gets. I mean, we're used to paying the price for Bill's failures. Right?

Changing it to small arm very weak physically when he gets touched he falls easily and panics with decisions

I wouldnt even have him as a backup
Draft Maye

I conveniently ignore your claims because they sound like BS. BB wanted to trade Corky, but Kraft would not allow it. Now you say that Kraft changed his mind at the trade deadline.

10/1 Corky lost to the Boys 38 - 3.
10/8 Corky pitched a goose egg vs the Saints 34 - 0.

The trade deadline was 10/31 and he is still here. Kraft wanted to see Corky with BOB meaning there were only 8 games till the 10/31 trade deadline. When did Kraft bail out? Game 4? Game 6? I aint buying it.
Thats the best you got?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back