PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac as 2024 Pats QB still possible

This doesn't seem to shed light on anything new. Mac showed up to the presser and is making an attempt to be in good graces with the new staff. The staff hasn't even been filled out yet, so we have no idea what their strategy will be once the dust settles.

You can piece many different angles from how that all unfolded. But people also don't seem to realize that drafting a QB at 3 and having Mac on the roster don't have to be mutually exclusive things. Almost seems like people think we're either taking a QB at 3 or giving Mac the key to Boston.

If Mayo is hinting at this I think it's misdirection.

Camp arm at this point.

who knows, Mac might still have a long & decent career... as a back up... could absolutely see him as part of the illustrious Union of Clipboard Carriers of the NFL or as a starter in Canada...

Honestly, I think this roster is so devoid of talent that another year with a poor record might serve it well. There's a part of me that'd be in favor of moving back from #3, going with the boring route of an OT. Spend some money in FA on better supporting pieces, even if not stars. Let Mac/Zappe look better next year with more capable players around them, but still not good enough to elevate us. Then use the extra picks you got from the trade back to move up for a QB. Difference would be with this offseason and next, hopefully you're bringing that QB into a better situation. I just don't view what we have right now as a good plug and play spot for any rookie QB.

If Mayo is hinting at this I think it's misdirection.
No stratagem with this group going forward so if you are looking for some chess game, temper your expectations.

The GOAT BB did say he believes Mac Jones can play QB in this league then proceeded to give him horse $h!t at the skilled positions. :rolleyes: Maybe Mayo sees things differently from the GOAT and will get Mac the necessary players with Great Catch Radius.

I wouldn't just give the BB Broken Mac Jones away it's basically nothing to keep him this year. Guys get injured in this league it would be wise for Mayo to keep him Mac played well with very good Players in College he needs that at the Pro Level. That said QB is still our #1 Selection.

Hard pass.
Jeremy Strong Yes GIF by SuccessionHBO

Honestly, I think this roster is so devoid of talent that another year with a poor record might serve it well. There's a part of me that'd be in favor of moving back from #3, going with the boring route of an OT. Spend some money in FA on better supporting pieces, even if not stars. Let Mac/Zappe look better next year with more capable players around them, but still not good enough to elevate us. Then use the extra picks you got from the trade back to move up for a QB. Difference would be with this offseason and next, hopefully you're bringing that QB into a better situation. I just don't view what we have right now as a good plug and play spot for any rookie QB.
You do that, and you risk winning enough games next year (say 6-7) with QB play that remains mediocre.

Then you've put yourself into a position where you're not good enough to be a contender, but also too good to be in a position to take a higher end QB prospect. Neat!

Mods..can we please have this inappropriate/offensive thread removed and erased from the sites existence expediently??..

You do that, and you risk winning enough games next year (say 6-7) with QB play that remains mediocre.

Then you've put yourself into a position where you're not good enough to be a contender, but also too good to be in a position to take a higher end QB prospect. Neat!

You also might make yourself the type of team that one of the top QBs who does shake away wants to join. Like Brady going to TB, Rodgers going to NYJ, Stafford going to LA and winning a SB. You can also make a trade up by packaging together multiple 1sts.

There's risks either way. Definitely a problem to be a treadmill team but also trouble to draft a QB and have crap around him so he can't develop. It's tough either way.

He/Mac can fix or buy that in the offseason.
“We can rebuild him… make him better than he was before… better, faster, stronger…”

1705959141391.gif

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back