PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LT expected to sign with Jets - "done deal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
so now it's buzz that wins football games ? if that were the case san diego, indy, dallas and washington would all have won multiple superbowls the past fifteen years. man, you guys sound like a bunch of women in a sewing circle. the jets replaced two of their best veteran players and leaders with two of the worst veteran losers from the team they just beat in the playoffs. yet, espn will spin these moves like they are genius, and you doofuses will gooble it up as if it were gospel spewed from a mother egret.

i can't even call these people chicken littles any more. they are more like lemmings, embracing the cliff.

outside of the fact that the pats have no TE's, are without one starting WR, stink at OLB, have no starting RDE, whose healthiest RB will be 34 this summer....the pats are in awesome shape!!!!

Tomlinson is a year younger than Jones.

This is irrelevant. What's important is how many touches they've had. LT has had over 3400 touches in his career - which is A LOT by any RB standards. Jones, on the other hand, has less than 2600 touches. So he's actually 3 years younger as far as RB wear and tear goes. LT is washed up.

This is irrelevant. What's important is how many touches they've had. LT has had over 3400 touches in his career - which is A LOT by any RB standards. Jones, on the other hand, has less than 2600 touches. So he's actually 3 years younger as far as RB wear and tear goes. LT is washed up.

you're right.....the jets are always wrong....the pats are always right

Let's see... Cromartie, Brodney Pool, Ladanian, and up next .... Adalius Thomas.

Did Mangini somehow manage to sneak into the Jets complex and replace all 2009 tape with 2007?

Sitting in the Apple, reading the local media and trying to make sense of the Jets offseason moves.

After what they feel was a season that almost got away from them until they were bailed out by the Colts and Bengals, they put up a quality Playoff Win on the road in San Diego before having their weaknesses exposed in the AFCCG. But, more power to the Jets for getting that far; even if we Pats fans know the propensity of the Chargers to choke in the post-season, at least the Jets showed up to play on the road in January, unlike our guys, who mailed it in at home.

Where did that leave Gangrene? With a team that is built to win NOW but still unsteady at the most important position on the field.

So, I think they felt a lot of pressure from media, fans and ownership to make some noise in the offseason, whether or not it added a lot. Remember, those same constituencies had hung Rex et al out to dry after the Atlanta loss but before the Indy-redemption. Their support for him and the Sanchize is a mile wide and a centimeter deep.

So, they brought in Cromartie, who kind of adds to the "bad boy" culture that Rex Ryan is trying to make the trademark of the Jets. If he's more than a shadow of his former self, he would give them formidable coverage downfield; but, it's not very likely that he will be. Still, a splashy add.

Then they bring in the biggest name RB of the early 2000's, who is probably going to Canton. Does he add much that Jones didn't already provide? I don't think so, but he fits with the strategy of not letting the Sanchize throw downfield and will likely be used mostly on third downs as a pass catcher out of the backfield. Another splashy add that generates headlines and keeps the ravenous hordes of fans and media preoccupied.

So, I see all of this as maybe making them a little better but mostly "feeding the beast" in New York.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying there isn't a "football" justification for what they have done; it's just that it's very thin when you look at it and they wouldn't be the first New York team to make on field moves to anticipate or respond to off field pressures.

Last edited:
so now it's buzz that wins football games ? if that were the case san diego, indy, dallas and washington would all have won multiple superbowls the past fifteen years. man, you guys sound like a bunch of women in a sewing circle. the jets replaced two of their best veteran players and leaders with two of the worst veteran losers from the team they just beat in the playoffs. yet, espn will spin these moves like they are genius, and you doofuses will gooble it up as if it were gospel spewed from a mother egret.

i can't even call these people chicken littles any more. they are more like lemmings, embracing the cliff.

Excellent points. The way people act here, you'd think the offseason is over and all the rosters for September are set in stone.

you're right.....the jets are always wrong....the pats are always right

I didn't say the Pats are always right. This has nothing to do with the Pats at all. I'm just stating a fact. Below is a link to NFL career rushing leaders. If you look at that list, only 5 RBs in the history of the NFL have ever started a season with more than 3400 touches:

Walter Payton - and LT is not sweetness.
Emmitt - LT is no Emmitt either, but Emmitt slowed down significantly in his last 4 years.
Bettis - he of the 3.5 ypc average over his last 4 years.
Curtis Martin - had 1 great year after 3400 touches. Retired 1 year later.
Marshall Faulk - most if his touches came as a receiver, so he arguably didn't get the same beating. Still he was a shadow of his former self by the time he broke 3400 touches.

NFL Career Rushing Yards Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Last edited:
I didn't say the Pats are always right. This has nothing to do with the Pats at all. I'm just stating a fact. Below is a link to NFL career rushing leaders. If you look at that list, only 5 RBs in the history of the NFL have ever started a season with more than 3400 touches:

Walter Payton - and LT is not sweetness.
Emmitt - LT is no Emmitt either, but Emmitt slowed down significantly in his last 4 years.
Bettis - he of the 3.5 ypc average over his last 4 years.
Curtis Martin - had 1 great year after 3400 touches. Retired 1 year later.
Marshall Faulk - most if his touches came as a receiver, so he arguably didn't get the same beating. Still he was a shadow of his former self by the time he broke 3400 touches.

NFL Career Rushing Yards Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

that's fine........I'd bet based on the contract, the jets aren't expecting him to carry the load.....he could be extremely effective as a 3rd down back and an outlet for sanchez......he was potentially quite a bit cheaper than leon washington would be.......

I think overall, it was a lateral move. it changes their offense into something none of us realize the ability of

who knows, he could have chosen the jets over the vikings so he could play the pats 1 extra time......they may only get 1 year out of him, but if he's motivated, he could help them

Last edited:
I'd be more wary of Faulk as a 3rd down back at this point than LdT.

This is the reason Bill advised Eric not to take the offer...buzz often trumps sound reasoning in the swamp because being relevant in the offseason matters to Woody at least as much as winning in season. Coaches never get a chance to build a foundation there. Although the way he chooses HC's it's not likely they were going to build a lasting one anyway...

As for the lemmings, if only they would let go of that half-assed embrace and just freakin' jump...:D

that's fine........I'd bet based on the contract, the jets aren't expecting him to carry the load.....he could be extremely effective as a 3rd down back and an outlet for sanchez......he was potentially quite a bit cheaper than leon washington would be.......

I think overall, it was a lateral move. it changes their offense into something none of us realize the ability of

who knows, he could have chosen the jets over the vikings so he could play the pats 1 extra time......they may only get 1 year out of him, but if he's motivated, he could help them

OK. I was just responding to the claim that LT is younger than Thomas Jones. The reality is that he's got a lot more miles on him. And he's not a difference maker any more. At this point, the Jets are hoping that Shonn Greene is the feature back, Leon is the 3rd down back, and LT is a part-timer at both positions. So based on the way the Jets like to play, this is actually a downgrade from Jones.

This is the first time in all your 2010 posts that I am in agreement with. :)

Same thought crossed my mind when I saw the headlines here this morning. I can imagine Rex gleefully talking about crushing BB and the Pats and how Mr. Tomlinson could be part of that moment, which would offset all misery and irritation of playing in the cold northeast as opposed to the warm dome @ the Vikings along with Adrian Peterson.

This is the first time in all your 2010 posts that I am in agreement with. :)

Same thought crossed my mind when I saw the headlines here this morning. I can imagine Rex gleefully talking about crushing BB and the Pats and how Mr. Tomlinson could be part of that moment, which would offset all misery and irritation of playing in the cold northeast as opposed to the warm dome @ the Vikings along with Adrian Peterson.

so you disagree with me that the pats don't have any TE's

you disagree with me that the pats stink at OLB?

so you disagree with me that the pats don't have any TE's

you disagree with me that the pats stink at OLB?

Why don't you add "you disagree with me that Pats are 0-0 now"? :rolleyes:

Why not wait to see how the Pats draft/sign/trade instead of slamming them based on their initial offseason moves or lack thereof?

Let's see... Cromartie, Brodney Pool, Ladanian, and up next .... Adalius Thomas.

Did Mangini somehow manage to sneak into the Jets complex and replace all 2009 tape with 2007?

=================================================

Cromartie = soft, but if he can remember how to play man then this could work out long term.

Brodney pool= depth at safety and an upgrade over Rhodes if he does not scramble his brain any more.

LDT= A back up plan for Leon, and sells some more PSLs, and he comes cheap, very little downside to this move in an uncapped season.

ADT= A cheap option for a situational pass rusher, of course this only happens if BB can not find some team to take over his $5 mil salary for a late pick.

Not a lot of risk in any of these moves, considering Rhodes was average and TJ couldn't get it done when it mattered most.

well......actually because my biggest beef of the last couple of weeks is the LB situation........

as for slamming them, don't be so sensitive.....I didn't slam anyone......just because I'm calling the situation out now doesn't mean I am wrong.......when the issue rears its ugly head during the season, I will be able to say 'I told you so'

Why don't you add "you disagree with me that Pats are 0-0 now"? :rolleyes:

Why not wait to see how the Pats draft/sign/trade instead of slamming them based on their initial offseason moves or lack thereof?

Do we need to wait until the Jets sign Brandon Marshall, to then decide the our team needs an upgrade. Nothing pains me more, than to read about a Jets signing. Though i feel LT is a significant downgrade from TJ, it still creates buzz the Pats aren't getting. Ive read this board for an eternity, but have never so much wanted to comment than this off season.
Blow draft smoke up my ***** all day, but I'm refusing to get excited about multiple draft picks in the second round, based off of last years Pioli-less draft.

There is no reason at all what so ever that a team as desperate as the Chicago Bears wouldn't have traded us Greg Olsen last week. We are tightendless if no one has noticed, and the man crush on Doren ****erson smells. Must we wait until camp to end up with a JP Foschi, or Steve Heiden.

At this exact time last year, I was very concerned with how we lost Jabar Gaffney and replaced him with injury prone Galloway, Not at the time knowing how that acquisition would turn into a land mine, but the concern at the time was, if Galloway gets hurt who will replace him?? Number 3 outside receiver is more crucial to this offenses success, than any other. I still feel to this day that Donte Stallworth was the hamster in the wheel in the 07 season. Gaffney did a respectable job in 08, but last year required nothing more than straight man coverage with a seldom glance from either safety. Thus putting Moss into situations that no receiver could possibly succeed in, and making his life frustrating as hell and questioning him.

With that said, and Welker a mess, how the hell has receiver not been priority one this off season. And not Josh Reeds of the world. I just seen 16 games with his brother Sam Aiken, and a preseason with his cousin Greg Lewis. I understand the Brandon Marshall is a cancer thing, understand that. But shouldn't we be hanging up 2nd round draft pick for sale or trade for WR signs in every gas station in America? Marshall, Malcom Floyd, Houshmandzadeh, Sims-Walker, Lee Evans, Dwayne Bowe, Chaz Schillens, Kevin Curtis. Any of these guys i bet could be had for a draft pick, and would be great compliments to Moss. Leave Edelman in slot, and wait for Welk.

Sorry for the rant. But we have to do something!

This is one of the least informed posts I have ever read on here. Last year's draft without Pioli was one of the best drafts that the Pats have had in years. Secondly, buzz does not win football games. L.T. to the Jets may have created a buzz but he is beyond done and it personally makes me smile to think that he's going to be taking away carries from more capable running backs such as Shonn Greene next season. I want Olsen as much as the next guy, but he's not a good blocking TE. I'll be excited if we sign him for receiving purposes and would love to have him on this team, but we still need a blocking TE on top of that. I do agree with you that there is a MAJOR hole there though. And while Gaffney was a solid receiver and was a viable third option, he would not have put us over the top in 2009. We still would have needed someone to come in and be a viable WR4 and, even with Gaffney in there, Aiken would not have been that guy and neither would Stanback. Josh Reed is a much better option than Sam Aiken and I would not mind seeing him signed and a first or second rounder used on a WR (the draft is VERY deep for that position this year). I do agree with your confusion over why the deal has not been done yet, though. As for your list of WRs that we should be going after, it's pretty laughable to say the very least.

I love pics of LT sulking on the sideline. More of that, please.

This is one of the least informed posts I have ever read on here. Last year's draft without Pioli was one of the best drafts that the Pats have had in years. Secondly, buzz does not win football games. L.T. to the Jets may have created a buzz but he is beyond done and it personally makes me smile to think that he's going to be taking away carries from more capable running backs such as Shonn Greene next season. I want Olsen as much as the next guy, but he's not a good blocking TE. I'll be excited if we sign him for receiving purposes and would love to have him on this team, but we still need a blocking TE on top of that. I do agree with you that there is a MAJOR hole there though. And while Gaffney was a solid receiver and was a viable third option, he would not have put us over the top in 2009. We still would have needed someone to come in and be a viable WR4 and, even with Gaffney in there, Aiken would not have been that guy and neither would Stanback. Josh Reed is a much better option than Sam Aiken and I would not mind seeing him signed and a first or second rounder used on a WR (the draft is VERY deep for that position this year). I do agree with your confusion over why the deal has not been done yet, though. As for your list of WRs that we should be going after, it's pretty laughable to say the very least.

Excellent perspective.

Last edited:
So any one think LDT will be one of the captains for the Jets?:eek:

How will the Pats game plan for him, do they put in a different package when LDT comes into the game?

I think at this point in LDT carreer that what he does best is catch out of the back field. Does anyone feel he would cause any match up problems Vs the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back