PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Light to right tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up sliding Kaczur over to RG at some point, especially given their predilection for mammoth tackles in recent years.

That's what I was thinking. Neal's knees can't hold up forever, especially considering the leg injuries this poor guy has had over the years. He's been a warrior - but something has to give eventually.

Kaczur is playing very well at RT and is already extended. Extending Light would be more costly. He's the first of the tackles to leave this team.

i would love to see how he matches up against Dwight Freeney in a few weeks (if he plays him). if he does and were to dominate (knock on wood), i think we might be able to pencil him in as an Ogden-caliber player. wait until this guy has an offseason to bulk up. :)

I certainly don't have any stats to back this up, but I thought Vollmer was getting a substantial amount of help from Baker and Matthews, though some of that was the result of play action.

They did that a lot with Kaczur in 2005. It will be interesting to see how much of that they feel Vollmer needs going forwards.

Take note of SeaBass' blocks on the run plays. He destroyed his opponents.

Yeha, absolutely- that was what really did it for me. I don't think it's a coincidence that Maroney was suddenly running really well now that Mankins and Vollmer were absolutely destroying guys and giving him legit lanes to run through.

Vollmer does a great job extending his arms and pushing the player upfield to create time for his feet. He is constantly getting his mitts on his guy and shoving him upfield. The question is going to be what can he do against a player whos undersized and quick and uses leverage. Guys like Harrison and Freeney, those are the matchup I'm looking forward to.

That's what I was thinking. Neal's knees can't hold up forever, especially considering the leg injuries this poor guy has had over the years. He's been a warrior - but something has to give eventually.

See; Kendall Simmons?

I certainly don't have any stats to back this up, but I thought Vollmer was getting a substantial amount of help from Baker and Matthews, though some of that was the result of play action.

They did that a lot with Kaczur in 2005. It will be interesting to see how much of that they feel Vollmer needs going forwards.

It was also a perfect storm (pun intended), with slippery ground ridding the pass rushers of any advantage, and also setting up so that larger, stronger players had the advantage in the trenches.

Replace Neal or Mankins? No way

Neal has only played 16 games twice, and the last time was 2005.
He played 32 games in the last 3 years b4 this one, which is <11 per( he HAS played all 6 this year)..
Neal gets hurt, and when he's gone the team seems to really suffer.......I know 1 game in particular that we suffered greatly, and the men in Blue were loving life with him gone from the game....kind've a big game too.....

Yup. Neal even got dinged up today - looked like he stayed in but he was definitely in some pain.

Personally, i'd predict that Vollmer gets relegated back to the bench when Light is ready. Unfortunately, (or fortunately for for Vollmer fans), there will almost probably be another OLine injury at some point (hopefully not serious) allowing him back on the field.

Although I still can't believe they dealt Hochstein. He could play almost anywhere in a pinch.

I don't know if Light has the requisite bulk/tenacity to be a right guard or right tackle. I'd almost say shift him to LG, shift Mankins to RG.

That's a couple big shifts, though. But who's to say they couldn't adjust?

It's as potentially as big a shift as moving Kaczur inside and Light to right.

I think that Light will start again at LT when he is healthy. I do think that this is his last year.

Last edited:
I dunno, wouldn't be the first time a starter could lose his job to injury under Belichick.

<---- my avatar, for example;) Yes yes, I know, there's a difference.

But still, depending on the length of time he's out and the way the team plays with Vollmer in there, he might not disrupt a good rhythm late in the season. Light may just be the swing tackle.

Take note of SeaBass' blocks on the run plays. He destroyed his opponents.

Not only did he destroy them, he drove them into the ground even well after the run had passed him. I loved it.

I'm thinking the Pats like having OT debth. It creates Debth across the O Line really.

Not many teams can lose a LT and plug in someone who is not a liability.

The Pats seem to be able to plug in Vollmer and Kazur could probhable handle the possition in a pinch.

Vollmer is cheap for the near term so even being servicable is a huge advantage.

I strongly disagree. I did not see him get any help in pass protection and recall only ONCE did a TE motion to chip.

Again.....It's not giving the job to anyone.

I am just thinking on what would give us the best offensive line. If Vollmer can handle it...and Light can play on the right side. Why not? I think we would definately run the ball better. Vollmer was pushing guys all over the field today. The guy is a dozer.

You can say that again. After he rammed Hoyer into the EZ I was afraid for Hoyer's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back