PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Light to right tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be shocked it Light isn't the LT the rest of the year when he's healthy but Vollmer looks great for the future. I expect Light to be released or traded in the offseason as we would save a couple million on the cap by doing so (if I interpret Miguel's page correctly).

I think its pretty telling they really like Sebass when he plays LT on the 6 man line on opening day. On the same play they had Light playing RT, and he looked awfully bad. I dont think he can make that adjustment. They just extended NK, and they made 2 moves on draft day targetting Ornberger(Sp?), not something you do for a backup. No way they can afford to keep Mankins, Neal needs a med unit constantly. Right now he wont lose his job because Tommy franchise wants him there ALOT more than Beckett wants Varitek. I think Vollmer's progress alone will determine if Light makes it back next year, but he wont lose his job this year.

I think after this season, the Pats would try to transition Light to RT and Kaczur to RG and Neal doesn't return. Remember we have LeVoir who played well when given the chance. Mankins should be resigned. He is the most valuable on our OL.

Last edited:
I would be shocked it Light isn't the LT the rest of the year when he's healthy but Vollmer looks great for the future. I expect Light to be released or traded in the offseason as we would save a couple million on the cap by doing so (if I interpret Miguel's page correctly).

Next season is uncapped as of now.

Vollmer did impress today, but look what he was blocking. Even when Kyle was in there, he couldnt get any solid footing. His first step was always sliding. I agree with the others. Lets see how he does against an elite pass rusher on a good field.

and how long before people realize Nick isnt a bad RT??? :confused:

Here we go again...another LT controversy to tear the team apart.

After watching Vollmer today....I wonder if sometime in the near future, that BB will move Light over to right tackle....putting Vollmer on the left side.

It's not so much a knock on Light as one on Kascur. I think we would be better up front with that set. What do you guys think?

crown him after one game?

no way Light EVER sees RT

Anoter one who can't figure out his left from his right. :snob:

sure, just because you have 13,000 more posts than me, you think i cant tell my left from.......crap, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, the airspeed velocity of an african swallow :D

I don't know if Light has the requisite bulk/tenacity to be a right guard or right tackle. I'd almost say shift him to LG, shift Mankins to RG.

That's a couple big shifts, though. But who's to say they couldn't adjust?

It's as potentially as big a shift as moving Kaczur inside and Light to right.

Moving Mankins (who has only Steve Hutchinson as a peer in this league) from LG would be plain daft.

Leave the players where they are until they can no longer perform to the same level, and then replace them with a player who's played that position, rather than upsetting two spots on the line.

Besides, we already have Neal's replacement on the roster.

sure, just because you have 13,000 more posts than me, you think i cant tell my left from.......crap, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, the airspeed velocity of an african swallow :D
Standing too close to the Holy Hand Grenade at the count of four obviously has it's drawbacks.

Lets see Vollmer perform in at least one game not played on a sheet of ice/snow before annointing him the next LT of the Patriots. I like Vollmer, but VandenBosch and co. would have been a bigger test on a dry field.

1 game where the De could get no footing making vol replace Light.:p.

It's a very good thing to be speaking of replacing a very good starter with what looks to be an equally capable backup. Having said this, I'm thrilled with Light - Mankins - Koppen - Neal - Kaczur and wouldn't touch it to be honest.

But if any backup outplays one of the above starters then I'm all for letting the new guy play.

Yes, Simmons should be fine at RG if Neal is injured.

Moving Mankins (who has only Steve Hutchinson as a peer in this league) from LG would be plain daft.

Leave the players where they are until they can no longer perform to the same level, and then replace them with a player who's played that position, rather than upsetting two spots on the line.

Besides, we already have Neal's replacement on the roster.

Simmons is next in line for the interior jobs, LeVoir then Vollmer for the tackle jobs, imo.

However, Vollmer at LT next year seems very likely to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes