PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
now that ninkovich seems to be settling in at DE (i was one of the ones who thought he might be better off back at OLB...so i admit i was wrong), the pass rush should be fairly solid. i wouldnt expect it to be elite since the pats interior tackles arent really rushers, more run stuffers.

also...man...jones gets held alot without calls...guess its the life of a rookie.
It would be nice to pick up another impact player to play opposite Chandler Jones in 2013. Given the qualification, it was nice to see Ninko put in that performance on the weekend.

also...man...jones gets held alot without calls...guess its the life of a rookie.

Thought they were going to pull his head off from behind on some of those plays. . . .

Breaking Down What Makes Chandler Jones NFL's Top Defensive Rookie | Bleacher Report

Poor man's JPP? He's doing better than JPP through 6 weeks this year.

In terms of 4-3 defensive ends, Jones has graded out as the fifth-best player at the position.

The only names ahead of him on the report card are Cameron Wake, Chris Clemons, John Abraham and Chris Long, each an established NFL pass-rusher. Among those below Jones are Jason Pierre-Paul, Jared Allen, Trent Cole, Jason Babin and fellow rookie Bruce Irvin

From ESPN's Rookie Watch:

Chandler Jones, Patriots DE (first round, No. 21)
Not just a terrorizing pass-rusher, Jones also helped contain Marshawn Lynch to his worst rushing performance of the year. Stats don't always tell the story, but Jones' line in Week 6 was excellent as he recorded four solo tackles, two sacks, one tackle for loss and a forced fumble, which came on one of his sacks of Russell Wilson. In terms of defensive rookies, there really is no one close to Jones right now.

NFL - Bobby Wagner making steady progress with Seattle Seahawks - ESPN

Breaking Down What Makes Chandler Jones NFL's Top Defensive Rookie | Bleacher Report

Poor man's JPP? He's doing better than JPP through 6 weeks this year.

I LOVE the way Jones plays the game, he COULD become a great player. BUT, let's not call him JPP's equal just yet. JPP is one of the top 5 DE's in football. Just because Jones has 0.5 more sacks than JPP doesn't make him equal or better. I need to see a season or more of production from Jones.

On a side note, I agree with others, we definitely need to get Chandler Jones more help as far as rushing the passer.

Looking at Ansah there, if somehow both can be snagged - have Ansah inside at tackle and Cunningham too on obvious passing downs...that's some hefty pass rush.

It's going to be really interesting to see where Ansah gets drafted. He's incredibly raw whilst at the same time proving that he's dedicated and a fast learner. But he's also incredibly smooth for a man his size, has very long arms and is rumoured to have outstanding combine type stats (21.9 second 200m, 39" vertical).

I LOVE the way Jones plays the game, he COULD become a great player. BUT, let's not call him JPP's equal just yet. JPP is one of the top 5 DE's in football. Just because Jones has 0.5 more sacks than JPP doesn't make him equal or better. I need to see a season or more of production from Jones.

On a side note, I agree with others, we definitely need to get Chandler Jones more help as far as rushing the passer.

That's why it was just said that: "Jones is doing better through 6 weeks this season"

Why has JPP all of a sudden become the gold standard of DEs? He has had 1.25 good seasons so far.

Jones is going to be insane next year with a full year under his belt and a whole year to bulk up.

Why has JPP all of a sudden become the gold standard of DEs? He has had 1.25 good seasons so far.
Because everyone that has watched him play can see he's clearly a flat out stud.

During the draft I kept my fingers crossed that we would trade up to get Whitney Mercilus. There's just something about the guy that has 16 sacks that makes you want him on your team more than anything.

Six months have passed. We picked Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower ahead of Mercilus. In April, I was cursing Belichick for torturing me yet again with a "project" draft pick... As of week 6, Chandler Jones has 27 total tackles, 5 sacks, 3 FF, and a pass deflection. He sets the edge like no rookie I've ever seen and is in no way a liability against the run.
Whitney Mercilus has 4 tackles. Dont'a Hightower has more sacks than him.

Oh, how wrong I was. Jones is an absolute beast, and has been playing like a veteran three-down lineman. Were he not being held on every play, he'd have twice the number of sacks as he does now. All of the people who want to run Belichick out of town for his draft strategy... First the 2010 draft, when he picked up Gronk, Hernandez, DMac, Spikes AND Mesko... Along with this draft, with three (Four if Dennard gets his chances) difference makers on the defense.. I'll admit that I've had my doubts about the old adage (In Bill we trust) but as it stands we are blessed.

Nice read on Jones:

Jones is on pace for 72 tackles, 13 sack, 8 FF and 2-3 PD this year. In comparison, Terrell Suggs, the 2011 DPOY, had 70 tackles, 14 sacks, 7 FF, 6 PD and 2 INTs.

Jones and Hightower have been in my opinion real home run picks for the pats (Hightowers injury aside)

Really shows why they are pros as i really missed on this years picks. i was high on Aldon smith and Watt the year before and gave myself a pat on the back.

This year it was DeCastro and Brockers. While solid i would take Hightower and jones over them in a heart beat and they weren't even on my radar.

I am very very impressed with Jones thus far similar to Solder last year... could you imagine our team without these picks?

Jones is a stud in the making..love this kid

Jones is a stud in the making..love this kid
I didn't think it was possible for Jones to have the impact he has had this early in his career. In 2013, I hope there is an end opposite him with a similar impact/ability.

i love jones!:) we finally have a young DE who can make plays.:):):)

now we need another one on the opposite side.:):):) or we can blitz more, but that will never happen.:(:(:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back