PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bricks:

Don't be such a homer.

Don't you think every other DLineman gets held just as much? JJ Watt gets held and it isn't called every time either.

Also, whens the last time someone got DPOY when being on a poorly-ranked defense?

FWIW -- I do think Chandler Jones will hit a rookie wall. Stamina seems to be his biggest weakness right now. Throughout pre-season and the regular season I've seen him visibly gassed out on the field a few times. And rightfully so.... he never even played a full season in College as a starter (which have way less games than the NFL)

You are overstating how "visably gassed" he has been. There aren't many defensive players who played more downs than him and I can see guys like Wilfork, Mayo, etc. "visably gassed" at times during the year.

I seriously doubt Jones will win Defensive Player of the Year.

I seriously doubt it, too. Don't imply that I suggested otherwise, thanks.

I simply made a prediction: That he'll enter that conversation before the year is out.

By the way: BOO YAH!!!! :rocker:

My BOY ~ my Super Alpha Binkie from the 2011 Draft, JJ "DynoMITE" Watt, is RAGING, Gentlemen!!! :rocker:

:bricks:

Don't be such a homer.

Don't you think every other DLineman gets held just as much? JJ Watt gets held and it isn't called every time either.

Also, whens the last time someone got DPOY when being on a poorly-ranked defense?

I don't think homerism is involved. No one's really predicting that Jones will win DPOY as things currently stand. I merely argued that his stats, IF projected over a full 16 game season, are not outside of the range of several past DPOY winners (Terrell Suggs, James Harrison and Jason Peters in particular), and are indicative of what a superb season he's having so far. He's been an impact player through 6 games. But it's only 6 games.

No one is disparaging JJ Watt. Many on this board were his biggest fans prior to the 2011 draft. I wasn't, and I was obviously dead wrong. He's a beast. But his current stats project to 25 sacks and 21 PD over a 16 game season, which would be historic, so it's also reasonably to assume that they will probably tail off a bit.

As for the holding argument, I haven't watched all of Texas' games. I assume all dominant defensive linemen get held a lot. Jones has certainly been held a lot, and the majority of times it hasn't been called. There has been some argument on this board that he is not getting the "respect" he deserves as a dominant pass rushing DE because he's a rookie, and may not get as many holding calls as other top linemen. I can't really assess whether that's the case or not, and whether his stats have been adversely affected to a greater extent than someone like Watt or JPP.

FWIW -- I do think Chandler Jones will hit a rookie wall. Stamina seems to be his biggest weakness right now. Throughout pre-season and the regular season I've seen him visibly gassed out on the field a few times. And rightfully so.... he never even played a full season in College as a starter (which have way less games than the NFL)

That's entirely possible. I'm not sure I would say stamina is a "weakness" of his. He's playing 91.6% of the defensive snap counts through 6 games (362/395) - the highest % of snap counts of any defensive lineman on the roster according to Reiss. I'd argue that that shows pretty decent stamina, and I'd be shocked if he didn't appear "visibly gassed out on the field a few times" playing that many snaps. It argues in favor of his effort and stamina that he's been able to sustain that pace. He may indeed hit the wall. But so far he's shown impressive stamina and durability. He's just been a damn impressive player, and we've been lucky to have him. If that's homerism, so be it.

I predicted double-digit sacks for him before the season and I'm sticking to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back