PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
The refs need to start giving jones respect because he's being held on almost every snap.

The refs need to start giving jones respect because he's being held on almost every snap.

Yes he is being HELD a TON! Jones is flat out beating his guy so often the OL have to hold him. Until those flags come out consistently so that the holding is toned down, we are not even seeing Jones full potential. Scary thought! Love the pick, love his freakish athleticism and overall complete package.

AND He's not just a passrusher, he stops the run convincingly by setting the edge with leverage and also being able to shed blocks and backside pursuit to get the ballcarrier. Hard to imagine a better fit for the Pats defense than Chandler Jones!

Jones and Hightower have been in my opinion real home run picks for the pats (Hightowers injury aside)

Really shows why they are pros as i really missed on this years picks. i was high on Aldon smith and Watt the year before and gave myself a pat on the back.

This year it was DeCastro and Brockers. While solid i would take Hightower and jones over them in a heart beat and they weren't even on my radar.

I am very very impressed with Jones thus far similar to Solder last year... could you imagine our team without these picks?

I too can pat myself on the back for being very high on JJ Watt 2 years ago...

...he was my #1 binkie.

I'm not going to pat myself too hard though, since when the Pats were picking last year I was screaming "NOT CHANDLER JONES!!!"

Not my proudest moment, but I am deliriously happy to be so totally wrong.

:rocker:

Last edited:
Yes he is being HELD a TON! Jones is flat out beating his guy so often the OL have to hold him. Until those flags come out consistently so that the holding is toned down, we are not even seeing Jones full potential. Scary thought! Love the pick, love his freakish athleticism and overall complete package.

AND He's not just a passrusher, he stops the run convincingly by setting the edge with leverage and also being able to shed blocks and backside pursuit to get the ballcarrier. Hard to imagine a better fit for the Pats defense than Chandler Jones!

Couldn't agree more!

I'll love how the Jets fan will cry after sunday, that they could have drafted this guy and that he is now with their fiercest rival :D Maybe the best pick on defense since Vince Wilfork

I too can pat myself on the back for being very high on JJ Watt 2 years ago...

...he was my #1 binkie.

I'm not going to pat myself too hard though, since when the Pats were picking last year I was screaming "NOT CHANDLER JONES!!!"

Not my proudest moment, but I am deliriously happy to be so totally wrong.

:rocker:

I'm with you. I wasn't all that sure about him and i didn't like the fact that he was a "riser" on the boards just before the draft but i did accept him from the get go for one reason - he was actually a pass rusher.

What a steal he has been so far.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen this weekend. D'Bustishaw Ferguson is perceived as a premiere LT and gets preferential treatment on holding like most real premiere LTs get. Luckily for Jones, Ferguson is vastly overrated.

shalise manza young ‏@shalisemyoung
Chandler Jones today: #Jets showed "a lot of interest" in him. what he didn't say: Rex told him NYJ would draft him. Rex was overruled.

I was looking forward to having Carter, even at 75% health play opposite this rookie (though I admit to not knowing if DEs can be flipped like this)..

Carter would have been a great role-model and mentor for him.. :cool:

Carter would have been a great role-model and mentor for him.. :cool:

True...

But it would seem he doesn't require one.

As Brother Mayo may've been hinting, earlier, though he isn't as given to Flights of Fancy as I am: If it wasn't for the Refs failing on all the holding calls, we wouldn't be talking about Jones for Rookie of the Year.

We'd be talking about Jones for Defensive Player of the Year.

Frankly, I believe that the Refs will wake up. And soon.

And I believe that we will be having that conversation.

Can Rookies be defensive players of the year? Or will Jones be the first?

True...

As Brother Mayo may've been hinting, earlier, though he isn't as given to Flights of Fancy as I am: If it wasn't for the Refs failing on all the holding calls, we wouldn't be talking about Jones for Rookie of the Year.

Even if he had a couple of extra sacks there is still JJ Watt who is miles ahead of everybody right now.

9.5 sacks, 16 tackles for loss , 8 PD

That is impact.

Even if he had a couple of extra sacks there is still JJ Watt who is miles ahead of everybody right now.

9.5 sacks, 16 tackles for loss , 8 PD

That is impact.

Of course it is. Watt is having a monstrous season so far. But Jones has also been impactful - perhaps not quite as impactful as Watt, but not that far off if you consider that he could easily have another 2-3 sacks but for some questionable penalties. If the refs actually called some of those holds on Jones, there would also be a ton of penalty yards attributed to his play. Finally, and most importantly, Watt has 9.5 sacks but no FF, whereas Jones has 3 FF. Those are major impact plays. Terrell Suggs got DPOY last year more on his 7 FF and 2 INTs than on the 14 sacks, which was way behind Jared Allen. Producing turnovers also was the driving factor behind James Harrison winning DPOY in 2008 (7 FF), and a major factor in Jason Taylor winning the award in 2006 (9 FF, 2 INTs).

Watt is the runaway choice for DPOY right now. But Jones is making impact plays on a par with any defensive player in the NFL. If he keeps producing them, he ought to be one of the top defensive players in the NFL this season, regardless of who wins DPOY. His stats would project to be in the range of former DPOY winners Suggs, Harrison and Taylor. And he should only get better.

Finally, and most importantly, Watt has 9.5 sacks but no FF, whereas Jones has 3 FF. Those are major impact plays. Terrell Suggs got DPOY last year more on his 7 FF and 2 INTs than on the 14 sacks, which was way behind Jared Allen. Producing turnovers also was the driving factor behind James Harrison winning DPOY in 2008 (7 FF), and a major factor in Jason Taylor winning the award in 2006 (9 FF, 2 INTs).

Watt has caused 2 INTs off of tipped passes if i'm not mistaken.

True...

I seriously doubt Jones will win Defensive Player of the Year. As good as he has been playing, he isn't playing in the same stratosphere as JJ Watt has been playing this year.

Right now, he is a run away favorite for defensive rookie of the year. No one is close.

Last edited:
Does anyone think he'll hit the "rookie wall" anytime soon?

Does anyone think he'll hit the "rookie wall" anytime soon?

The rookie wall is overrated. Not all rookies hit the rookie wall. Many play much better at the end of the year than they do in the beginning.

I think strength and conditioning programs have become so advanced and the new CBA rules don't allow nearly as much hitting in practice, that the rookie wall will slowly disappear from the NFL except for a select few rookies.

True...

:bricks:

Don't be such a homer.

Don't you think every other DLineman gets held just as much? JJ Watt gets held and it isn't called every time either.

Also, whens the last time someone got DPOY when being on a poorly-ranked defense?

FWIW -- I do think Chandler Jones will hit a rookie wall. Stamina seems to be his biggest weakness right now. Throughout pre-season and the regular season I've seen him visibly gassed out on the field a few times. And rightfully so.... he never even played a full season in College as a starter (which have way less games than the NFL)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back