PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was one of the few on this forum who was impressed with him before the draft and wanted to pick him. I was ecstatic when we drafted him, and happy to see him starting in pre-season.

People thought he would be a big project that wouldn't contribute much this year. Oh how very wrong so many of you have been about Jones over and over. He was arguably the best player on defense yesterday. I think he will have a Richard Seymour-like impact. In the sense that he comes in as a rookie and is already one of the most important players on the D.

He will be vital to our SuperBowl run this year. Right now the only issue with him is stamina. I saw him gassing out after a couple series in pre-season, and yesterday he looked a bit winded at times despite playing so many snaps. You could see him with his hands on his hips, and often he was the last lineman with his hand in the dirt. I figure by Week 8 he'll be up to par with NFL DLine standards of endurance.

Not only is he a factor in rushing the passer, his run stopping may be even better. He is all over the place, even pursuing from behind. Stats don't show the whole story either, as he often helped stop a run without getting the tackle. He was a big part of Chris Johnson being held to just 4 yards and shutting out the Titans run game.

For the past few years the talk has been "Wilfork and Mayo are the only untouchable defenders on our team" but I think Chandler Jones will quickly be named along those 2 as the year goes on. His best football truly is ahead of him. He's still thinking before reacting sometimes, and you gotta think there are some jitters since it was his first NFL game..... when he starts reacting and playing off pure instincts, he's gonna be a monster on our DLine. So happy we drafted the guy as he'll probably be one of the best defensive players out of this draft, and certainly the best at the position we were picking.

oh yeah... we can actually get off the field on 3rd downs now too. :rocker:

Last edited:
Loved him the whole game. Its early thought and he'll have his struggles but after what this team experiences the last few years, you have to be happy about what we've witnessed thus far.

This guy is great and so is Hightower.

In my best Bear Bryant southern drawl dialect; "Boy's a stud." So, is that lb Hightower.

Have to say it. Tavon Wilson looks the part. Ok. he may not be flashy, but to me he looked more than competent.

Can't wait to see him against a less than mobile qb. Let the kid pin them back and get after it...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Future looks very bright with the newcomers Jones, Hightower and Wilson all seemingly capable of playing at a high level. And if we add in Cunningham (who feels like a newcomer) too ...... :rocker:

I am probably more impressed by this rookie crop than can ever remember.. they all look good.

Wait til the game "slows down" for Chandler Jones and he starts applying his pass rush moves more. And when his gas tank is better. Watch out. He will be as important to our defense as Wilfork is.

I think Chandler Jones will become one of the premier DE's in the NFL.

What impressed most about Jones is the fact he went up against Roos - a probowl/all pro type player - not a chump by any measure. Add that to the multiple pressures he had which I REALLY wish was a recorded stat. Because he got in there 3-4 times and forced locker to make hurried passes. Not to mention another sack that was taken away due to penalty (if my memory serves me correctly).

Most impressive are his pass rush moves. Not sure who taught him... Pepper? Watching film of the greats? BB himself? Probably a combo of all of the above and more including current players. But his strip sack was a thing of beauty. He engaged Roos who was recovering from the initial blow and then used his hands to slap Roos' away, this made Roos off balance and Jones blew by him. Than using those long arms got to the ball. That's what I saw anyway.

Against the run, for my money no DE is better than JPP... using his long arms he just extends and holds the OT at length, the OT simply does not have the length or strength to do anything, reads the play, sheds the OT and makes the play. This is what Jones was doing as well. In terms of where he is in his development he is further ahead of JPP whom only had 30 tackles in his rookie year. Once he gets the stamina, further develops his moves, and increases his strength he is going to be very scary.

O, and I got 30 sacks with him in madden in his rookie year :)

Sure wish we could just enjoy a good first showing by a rookie prospect instead of having to weed out the 'I am so smart - I told you so!' stuff OP.

There's like a billion people on this forum, some are gonna disagree with you it doesn't warrant a nana nana booboo post.

I'd like to see his play count kept lower....don't want to see him hit a wall in early december

The flip side of the coin Re the rookies impact is that there were soooo many people here willing to right off those picks the day after without the player taking a snap.

Now thats what I call rushing to judgement.

What impressed me the most about him was his closing speed. Once he's past his man, it was like a blur and the next thing you saw was the QB or RB on the ground. Amazing.

Someone mentioned Seymour, and I think the big differences between Jones and Seymour is, Seymour was 300lbs coming in as a rookie, so he was stronger and great against the run, the pass rushing came later. Seymour had 3 sacks his whole rookie season, Jones may have that by the end of his second game, he's ahead of Seymour as a pass rusher. IF he fills out that frame, and he's already pretty damned strong at 265, watch out, he'll be a great run stopper too.

Not annointing him as the next JPP, but he sure seems similar. The scary thing is, the Giants have several guys who can get at the QB, so JPP gets help, the Pats need that too. Hopefully Cunningham becomes our Kiawanuka, and Bequette becomes an Osi Umenyoura type. Damn, we need a Justin Tuck too, lol man the Giants are stacked, sorry for going off track.

O, and I got 30 sacks with him in madden in his rookie year :)

This unfortunetly means zilch as I remember back on Madden 95 with McGuinest and Slade as OLB there was this bear blitz or something like that where both of them meet at the QB.... #55 had 60something sacks and #53 wasn't far behind. Still damn fun to play though

I didn't notice during the game but I just watched the replay of the strip-sack; did anyone else see Jones' dance when Hightower scored? I had to re-watch it a few times because it made me laugh.

To be fair I am pleasantly surprised with Jones. I thought he'd be starting by half way into the season so this a plus! He looks really good out there. The only thing I have to say is that I thought he looked tired during the 2nd half but it's definately no biggy.

I am glad to see our top two picks having success early. That move he used on the strip showed his quickness. I watched that replay too many times!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes