PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Say We Added Carter and Barron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why resign Carter if we're moving to a 3-4?

The Patriots play more out of sub packages than they do out of their base. Carter would have plenty of time to play.

As for Barron, there are a lot of teams ahead of New England that are desperate for safety help. For Barron to get past all of them would mean that even desperate teams didn't feel he was worth the pick.

If Pryor can stay healthy, he's a good situational inside pass rusher that can hold up against the run. He started the year last season higher on the depth chart than these two (Deadrick was on PUP).

Pryor only has a position in the sub package. And even then he hasn't produced in 3 years here.
Deaderick and Love, on the other hand were essentially starters last year and each had their moments.
I would be searching to upgrade their position if they are starters but wouldn't be afraid we suck there.

As for Barron, there are a lot of teams ahead of New England that are desperate for safety help. For Barron to get past all of them would mean that even desperate teams didn't feel he was worth the pick.

Or that another player was more worthy of the pick, even perhaps, in an area of similar need.

Why resign Carter if we're moving to a 3-4?

What tells you we are changing to a 34? I think we are, but there is no certainty to that.
Anyway, Carter would probably be better just playing nickle and dime DE. He would get about 60% of the snaps, and 80%+ of those plays would be passes.

Who cares what other teams think? Why should the Patriots make decisions about other team's opinions of a player rather than their own?

Who cares what other teams think? Why should the Patriots make decisions about other team's opinions of a player rather than their own?

I'm sorry that you're unable to grasp the point I was making.

I think that DI's point was that there is no way Barron will be available to us, given the needs of teams that pick before us.

The Patriots play more out of sub packages than they do out of their base. Carter would have plenty of time to play.

Technically he would be considered a backup in that case. I dont think he would want to take backup money when he could sign somewhere else coming off a good year.

So who from last year's defense would people say they are 'happy' starting with? Mine would be

Chung
Wilfork
Mayo
Spikes
McCourty
Dowling (if fit)
Arrington (in slot)
Carter (if re-signed)
Ninkovich
The only possible starter I see from our defensive free agent acquisitions is Gregory at FS.

The next bracket are guys from last year who will play a bit but not every down... I think they are good depth players but I wouldn't want them on the field at all times.

Deadrick
Love
Fletcher
Sterling Moore

Lets say we sign Carter, we still need another starting DE, OLB's (maybe 2) and atleast a few defensive backs. If we get 5 decent players in the draft (big ask I know) i don't see why this defense cannot significantly improve...

I think we cannot be content starting some of the guys you are happy with. Ninkovich is a guy that fans can appreciate 'cause he plays hard and is a team guy, but at the end of the day he is a mediocre OLB. We can't give up on McCourty yet but it was alarming how bad he was last year, and if it continues he shouldn't be a starting CB. Who knows what we got in Dowling, we just haven't seen enough to be happy with him.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that DI's point was that there is no way Barron will be available to us, given the needs of teams that pick before us.

While that's certainly a possibility I thought the nature of the question was hypothetical in nature, which is usually the case when "let's say" is used. I'm not a big fan of Barron and rather detest seeing mocks with him in the first round to us. He's injured and isn't anything great in coverage, and I think several other players likely to be available would have more impact.

Technically he would be considered a backup in that case. I dont think he would want to take backup money when he could sign somewhere else coming off a good year.

I doubt that Belichick cares whether or not a guy is on the field in the base package when evaluating what he's worth to the team. What matters is how often he's on the field.

A guy who plays exclusively in sub packages could easily be more valuable than a guy who plays exclusively in the base D.

Last edited:
Out of the top 5 picks (1,1,2,2,3) it would be nice to come way with a DL, DE/OLB, CB/S, OL and a pick from next year.

Last edited:
Yup, seems like multiple and versatile is here to stay. Who knows what BB will do

Slightly off topic, but I feel everyone underestimates Sterling Moore.

The guy singlehandedly got us into the Super Bowl. Clutch, and plays good press coverage. I want him starting somewhere.

The guy singlehandedly got us into the Super Bowl. Clutch, and plays good press coverage. I want him starting somewhere.

..Wait..what? I guess you blocked out the touch down he gave up.

Singlehandedly got us to the SB? Are you kidding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes