PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle

Jesus ****ing christ.

At least we still have $50 million in cap room.
Reading comprehension is a lost art.

The point is that we will still add TWO to THREE OL's.

We'll be saying the same thing next offseason where the Pats will find a way to not spend on talent that is actually available. Bob will do his usual and eat up the cap with smaller transactions. Eventually, the money you roll over has to be spent. They have 5 years to do it.

Unless the Cowboys don't work out a deal with either Parsons or Lamb, one of them will be available. Aside from that, most of the other high profile players will be retained.
That is not the way I see it. The pats suck, you are not going to attract FA to come here unless you vastly overpay them. There is no QB here and we got a first year coach. Guys dont want to come and be in limbo if a new coach comes in two years and who knows who is the qb. Now If Maye or Daniels is here next offseason and Mayo does not screw the pooch, guys like Higgens etc will find a place that is primed to grow. I dont want to win 4 more games next year. I rather suck again this year and get another top 5 pick again.

That's one stinky pile of crap right thar.
Jurassic Park Poop GIF by Vidiots

Agree completely.
I've been a proponent of this for a while. He a freak athlete who sometimes gets overpowered by big it's. Makes more sense having him block 250 lb speed rushers than 350lb IT'S.

BTW Light was no great shakes on speed rushers. Strange is a much quicker athlete so it might work out.

BTW-2 I like the Humphreys idea a LOT

…The point is that we will still add TWO to THREE OL's.
Probably, but we have no idea how good they are or will be…

The point is that except for Chucky, the rest of the names on that list are nothing whatsoever more than practice squad drek… Somebody who’s actually worthy of being in the NFL should’ve been added with Okorafor by now so that the Wolf wouldn’t have to act desperately on draft weekend.

Last edited:

The point is that except for Chucky, the rest of the names on that list are nothing whatsoever more than practice squad drek… Somebody who’s actually worthy of being in the NFL should’ve been added with Okorafor by now so that the Wolf wouldn’t have had to act desperately on draft weekend.

I’m happy with the Okorafor signing but am a little surprised about the LT situation. I really hope Wolf has some kind of strategy to address it. I just can’t see any viable LT’s floating around at June 1st cuts. Wonder who he has in mind come draft day that he felt it didn’t have to be addressed?

The point is that except for Chucky, the rest of the names on that list are nothing whatsoever more than practice squad drek… Somebody who’s actually worthy of being in the NFL should’ve been added with Okorafor by now so that the Wolf wouldn’t have had to act desperately on draft weekend.
I don't agree.

We need four OT's. Two are Onwenu and Chewy.

With the value in the first 4 picks in the draft, we will definitely pick one LT there. That's 3.
===========
I agree that a LT starter would take pressure off the draft. Or would it. We'd have 3 locked in.
==========
I suspect that we signed our veteran in Chewy, who can compete with our early LT draftee for reps.

I’m happy with the Okorafor signing but am a little surprised about the LT situation.
Yo tambien. I don’t think CalvinAnderson, Conor McDermott, or the fat unathletic Michigan guy who could only muster 18 bench presses form a legitimate posse of nfl players.

Honestly, we don't really need the LT position to be SOLVED long-term this year. You look at the moves the front office made, or DIDN'T make, and this team just isn't built to compete for the upcoming season. It's not. They didn't make moves to elevate this from a cellar dweller to a playoff caliber team in 1 year.

The LT position can be weak this year. It just can't be SO BAD that it sucks any developmental potential out of the QB, skill players, and other OL players. You can't have the spot be such a glaring liability that no one else can function properly on offense.

Everyone seems to want to go QB #3, OT #34, WR #68 and think just BOOM, it's all solidified. That'd be phenomenal, but it's probably not realistic. An OT at #34 could very well be one of those guys who's on the edge of moving to RT or inside to Guard. A WR at #68 could very well be another #3/#4 type complimentary guy that we already have a collection of vs. a true outside starting WR.

I'd hate to pass on a real solid long term starting CB across from Gonzalez, deep FS to round out the depth chart on the backend, or high level inside DL compliment to Barmore at #34 because the front office put some undue pressure on themselves that they NEEDED to add a starting LT with that pick so they settle for a guy who's just "meh" there for a couple years before having to move inside to guard or RT (which is what happened with Isaiah Wynn for example).

Nothing they've done so far indicates that this is a 1 year turnaround so we shouldn't approach the draft like it is. There's no need to check specific boxes right now.

34 pick, a Left Tackle. Bruce Armstong, late first, Matt light, 2nd round, Nate Solder, mid First. This pick in this draft will start. Early 2nd for a Left Tackle will work fine for this team.

Nothing they've done so far indicates that this is a 1 year turnaround so we shouldn't approach the draft like it is. There's no need to check specific boxes right now.
My understanding of the draft is diametrically opposed to your position.
=================================================================
Approach the draft as it is with no moving around? Why, because trading around for players valuable to your team is just too difficult?

OK, you need to fire most of the staff. That is not how the folks we have operated.

Competent staff in the NFL look for value picks that fit their teams. Sometimes that means trading up, sometimes no trades, sometimes trading down.

If there is a LT available at 25 that we have on our board as being worth the 25th pick, we will CERTAINLY consider trading up for him, primarily dependent on the choice among all positions that are likely to be available when we pick.

Alternatively, if we have no one on our board at 34, then we will look to trade dwon.
===========

At 34, we need to take Paul and have him sit for half a year.

As a run blocker, he is believe average.

As a pass blocker, he is the best in this draft.

3rd and 10 from our 20 yard line, who do you want at left tackle? Chewbacca? Anderson? McDermott? No way. You want Paul!!!!!

Now that Paul has dropped to a consensus 52 level I’m on board with taking him, but that’s moving up from 68, not at 34. I think that the likelihood of a really good first round pick dropping to 34 is really strong.

Honestly, we don't really need the LT position to be SOLVED long-term this year.
Yes, we do.

In fact, outside of QB, LT is our biggest need. Next year is stocked with WR talent in free agency. so tackle takes precedence. Protection for the rookie is paramount. Even if the new QB doesn't play, getting the new LT game reps is one of the most important steps in creating a cohesive offensive line.

Honestly, we don't really need the LT position to be SOLVED long-term this year. You look at the moves the front office made, or DIDN'T make, and this team just isn't built to compete for the upcoming season. It's not. They didn't make moves to elevate this from a cellar dweller to a playoff caliber team in 1 year.

The LT position can be weak this year. It just can't be SO BAD that it sucks any developmental potential out of the QB, skill players, and other OL players. You can't have the spot be such a glaring liability that no one else can function properly on offense.

Everyone seems to want to go QB #3, OT #34, WR #68 and think just BOOM, it's all solidified. That'd be phenomenal, but it's probably not realistic. An OT at #34 could very well be one of those guys who's on the edge of moving to RT or inside to Guard. A WR at #68 could very well be another #3/#4 type complimentary guy that we already have a collection of vs. a true outside starting WR.

I'd hate to pass on a real solid long term starting CB across from Gonzalez, deep FS to round out the depth chart on the backend, or high level inside DL compliment to Barmore at #34 because the front office put some undue pressure on themselves that they NEEDED to add a starting LT with that pick so they settle for a guy who's just "meh" there for a couple years before having to move inside to guard or RT (which is what happened with Isaiah Wynn for example).

They don’t have to solve the LT position this year but it makes a lot of sense to do so. The Pats have a big need at the position this is considered a good tackle class and we never know when the Pats will have draft capital like this to solve one of the most important positions in football.

The Pats checking off their LT, X Wr and Qb positions isn’t just dictated by the teams needs but the quality of the talent at those positions available in the draft.

They could have tried to solve those issues last season but the depth of those positions in the draft wasn’t close to what it is this year.

Personally, I think the Pats could trade back from 34 into the middle of the second and still get a starting caliber LT. Anytime I do a mock simulator there are usually two quality tackles and two quality receivers available at 34, if this happens irl I hope they move back to pick up additional assets.

Yes, we do.

In fact, outside of QB, LT is our biggest need. Next year is stocked with WR talent in free agency. so tackle takes precedence. Protection for the rookie is paramount. Even if the new QB doesn't play, getting the new LT game reps is one of the most important steps in creating a cohesive offensive line.
We need to add two OT's, unless we sign one in free agency, in which case we'll need one.

But, yes, LT is the #2 priority.

BTW, I would guess that the team has defensive needs much higher than WR. We need a safety and a DL, even if we extend Barmore and Dugger.

I hope they have a veteran LT already agreed to a contract and they're simply waiting for the compensatory time period to pass before he signs.

If the left tackle they draft ends up sucking or needs a long time to develop, and the almost inevitable happens that Chuka Okorafor sucks... after this season lands with a thud the collaboration will say they need more time.

The reality is they could have signed any number of good free agent left tackles this offseason for similar money (they could still sign Andrus Peat right now!) and the entire offensive line would be set assuming health. They could have a really good offensive line. Then they could focus all 8 draft picks on offense and adding talent at QB and weapons... it would be a luxury draft.

Fix the O-Line now... I'll have patience for a rookie QB to develop, I won't have patience for a GM making rookie personnel moves like signing a terrible free agent left tackle.

I hope they have a veteran LT already agreed to a contract and they're simply waiting for the compensatory time period to pass before he signs.

If the left tackle they draft ends up sucking or needs a long time to develop, and the almost inevitable happens that Chuka Okorafor sucks... after this season lands with a thud the collaboration will say they need more time.

The reality is they could have signed any number of good free agent left tackles this offseason for similar money (they could still sign Andrus Peat right now!) and the entire offensive line would be set assuming health. They could have a really good offensive line. Then they could focus all 8 draft picks on offense and adding talent at QB and weapons... it would be a luxury draft.

Fix the O-Line now... I'll have patience for a rookie QB to develop, I won't have patience for a GM making rookie personnel moves like signing a terrible free agent left tackle.
We won't have any comp picks, so the comp deadline isn't relevant.

We won't have any comp picks, so the comp deadline isn't relevant.
Probably not, but it's based off free agents who sign with a new club. They could receive something for Trent Brown, Gesicki, Mills... some 6th or 7th round picks are better than nothing.

It shouldn't really matter for them, they should be burning some cash as promised.

Probably not, but it's based off free agents who sign with a new club. They could receive something for Trent Brown, Gesicki, Mills... some 6th or 7th round picks are better than nothing.

It shouldn't really matter for them, they should be burning some cash as promised.
Yes, it could happen. Remember that comp picks are available only if we lose more qualifying players than we sign. But, yes, it is still possible that enough players will get qualifying offers, perhaps Elliot, Brown and Gesicki.

They don’t have to solve the LT position this year but it makes a lot of sense to do so. The Pats have a big need at the position this is considered a good tackle class and we never know when the Pats will have draft capital like this to solve one of the most important positions in football.

The Pats checking off their LT, X Wr and Qb positions isn’t just dictated by the teams needs but the quality of the talent at those positions available in the draft.

They could have tried to solve those issues last season but the depth of those positions in the draft wasn’t close to what it is this year.

Personally, I think the Pats could trade back from 34 into the middle of the second and still get a starting caliber LT. Anytime I do a mock simulator there are usually two quality tackles and two quality receivers available at 34, if this happens irl I hope they move back to pick up additional assets.
The mock drafts I look at have (8) Tackles picked in the 1st round. Who will be there in the 2nd round that could contribute?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back