PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
There has been a decided lack of movement in filling the LT position early in free agency... This is one big hole to fill...

This signify that we will be addressing this in the draft?

Are there any decent tackles out there in FA that we could bring in?

There has been a decided lack of movement in filling the LT position early in free agency... This is one big hole to fill...

*Ahem* Trent Brown suggesting for a friend. :)

Jonah Williams is probably the "safest" option. He's not as talented as someone like Tyron Smith, and there's some question whether he's still an LT or more a RT at this time, but he's probably more reliable long term. Other than that, there's the aforementioned Smith and Trent Brown (though I think that ship has sailed for the Patriots).

They should be targeting someone in the first three rounds of the draft no matter what, as they'll need backups/developmental pipeline guys. But I haven't seen much movement across the league on tackles yet, so I wouldn't rule out a free agent signing just yet. Something in the market is bottle necking those deals, probably everyone waiting for the first guy to drop in a pretty weak class.

No names.

Better look for a trade, send that 3rd instead of drafting an unknown.

Cole Strange is borderline arm length which is 34" ... he is 33.66
I think that needs to be a factor here ... even if he is just a bridge LT for one drafted.
Just throwing that in here .... not sure realistic. If so ... makes a day 2 LT a tangible work in progress.
He is on the light side at a purported 307 ... however is very quick on his feet.

Wynn where art thou
Tired Kenan Thompson GIF by NBC

I think that needs to be a factor here ... even if he is just a bridge LT for one drafted.
Just throwing that in here .... not sure realistic. If so ... makes a day 2 LT a tangible work in progress.
He is on the light side at a purported 307 ... however is very quick on his feet.
No way I would set up a QB I liked behind Cole Strange at LT.
He misses way too many blocks at guard. He is a lighter, more agile OL on paper, but he doesn't seem to pick up blocking schemes.
Again, on paper, he does project to more of the agile blocking scheme Van Pelt has run in the past - but you still need to be able to execute the play.

Tyron Smith seems like a good bridge option, but he hasn't played more than 13 games since 2015. In 2020 it was only 2, 11 in 2021 and 4 in 2022. Last year he bounced back to 13 which he also played from 2016-2019. So you have to count on him missing about 1/3 of the season. That's not ideal for a guy you're signing to just hold the spot down.

Jonah Williams isn't really a LT. Not even athletic enough to be a great RT. But in terms of just being a passable bridge, he's ok. Anyone can get injured anytime but there's no specific reason to suspect he will have availability issues. I think it makes sense to sign him to a multi year deal. Expectation would be that he plays LT as a stop gap this year unless you get a day 1 solution. Then next year he can play RT with a hopefully ideal LT answer locked in. And then after that, you keep looking to upgrade him at RT. But he could bring you a passable performer and stability in the meantime.

Jonah Williams (if he checks out medically). He's young and can play LT or RT. He would be solid alongside Onwenu at RG with Williams as RT (assuming we get a good LT in the draft). Or, a good RT in the draft with Williams as LT.

Jonah Williams is probably the "safest" option. He's not as talented as someone like Tyron Smith, and there's some question whether he's still an LT or more a RT at this time, but he's probably more reliable long term. Other than that, there's the aforementioned Smith and Trent Brown (though I think that ship has sailed for the Patriots).

They should be targeting someone in the first three rounds of the draft no matter what, as they'll need backups/developmental pipeline guys. But I haven't seen much movement across the league on tackles yet, so I wouldn't rule out a free agent signing just yet. Something in the market is bottle necking those deals, probably everyone waiting for the first guy to drop in a pretty weak class.
Williams at RT alongside Onwenu at RG could be nice.

He misses way too many blocks at guard. He is a lighter, more agile OL on paper, but he doesn't seem to pick up blocking schemes.
Again, on paper, he does project to more of the agile blocking scheme Van Pelt has run in the past - but you still need to be able to execute the play.
Agree. Maybe you move him there and practice him there for the future. Still need to sign a starting LT and then draft a RT or G in the 3rd/4th

LT: Free Agent
LG: Sow
C: Andrews
RG: Onwenu
RT: Okorafor/Draft Pick

LT: Free Agent
LG: Sow
C: Andrews
RG: Draft Pick
RT: Onwenu

strange isn't good enough to play on the outside.

Overthecap has us at $59.1M in cap space once you cut Board and Parker. Still don't have Jennings, but good bet that we'd be at like $55M in cap space after that.

Honestly, could be an argument to be made that we should sign both if their markets aren't taking off.

Tyron Smith / Sidy Sow / David Andrews / Mike Onwenu / Jonah Williams as starters
Cole Strange, Chukwuma Okorafor, Jake Andrews, Antonio Mafi as reserves

You know what, let's get crazy. Sign Calvin Ridley too. And now that we don't NEED a starter at OT, trade #34 for Higgins...

QB: Daniels or Maye
RB: Stevenson / Gibson / Harris
WR: Higgins / Ridley / Bourne / Douglas
TE: Henry / Hooper
OL: (see above)

Ok, I'll stop dreaming now.

so, this begs the question...do the patriots have any QBs we like right now?

The Bengals invested big money on a LT specifically to move Jonah Williams off that spot. That's a red flag imo. He's called a "league average LT" in some reports but for the Bengals to have done what they did, they have to see him as less than that.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back