PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's keep it together, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A couple days removed from the loss to KC and I'm just really saddened by the negativity here. I don't understand it.

First of all, not every game or every season has to be perfect. We're incredibly fortunate to be fans of such an insanely good team over the last 15+ years, but they shouldn't have to be perfect to make you happy. If you're actually a FAN of the Patriots then you should be willing to stomach a bad game or even a bad season at times. They're not going to destroy every opponent and win the Super Bowl every single year. I know they've had an incredible run lately (how many consecutive years of AFCCG appearances again now?) but that's not sustainable; it WILL end at some point. Are you actually a fan of the Pats or are you only a fan of winning?

Second, I don't even see how anyone can feel so negatively about ANY game considering we were just treated to the greatest comeback and Super Bowl performance of all time, and probably the most epic win any of us will ever see last year. And two years prior, another incredibly epic Super Bowl win which was previously the greatest comeback ever. I mean, the team could really suck and have a few rebuilding years and I would be fine with that - these last two wins have been so sweet, the good feelings from them will last a long, long time. Certainly a hell of a lot longer than one freaking regular season game.

Finally, the team has had bad games in winning seasons before. They weren't perfect by any means last season and won the Super Bowl. Hell, they weren't CLOSE to perfect IN that Super Bowl and still won it. Two years ago they got spanked on prime time by this same KC team and what happened? Super Bowl win. And there are other examples in the last decade-plus of great seasons by the Pats which contained **** games. It happens. We've been saying it for years now - the first few weeks are essentially extended preseason because of how training camp practice has been watered down. This will especially be true in a year where their potentially most critical offensive piece, Edelman, was just lost for the year a couple weeks ago. It will take time to settle everything and that might mean a few losses. But here's your PSA: they have the GOAT QB, HC and TE all on the team who are all driven to do everything possible to get it fixed and end the season hoisting the trophy again. Have these men not proven time and time again that they deserve an abundance of patience and respect?

If one loss (which wasn't even that bad of a loss), one game into the season, causes you to lose your **** and give up on the team, then perhaps you should consider finding another team to cheer for. Unfortunately, I don't think you will find one, because if your standard is perfection then you'll be looking indefinitely.

Just wanted to say my piece and hopefully influence some positivity here. I know some posters are just straight up trolls, and we do our best to cull that behavior when we can as mods, but most negativity is not trolling. Just be patient, people, and have a little respect for the team that's already given us more than any fan could ever ask for or deserve.

I guess it's because of the disappointment of losing the opener. This was the one game I think no one expected to lose.

When you lose the first game of the season, there's nothing previous from this current season to reassure you. So really it leaves you with an uneasy feeling.

A couple days removed from the loss to KC and I'm just really saddened by the negativity here. I don't understand it.

First of all, not every game or every season has to be perfect. We're incredibly fortunate to be fans of such an insanely good team over the last 15+ years, but they shouldn't have to be perfect to make you happy. If you're actually a FAN of the Patriots then you should be willing to stomach a bad game or even a bad season at times. They're not going to destroy every opponent and win the Super Bowl every single year. I know they've had an incredible run lately (how many consecutive years of AFCCG appearances again now?) but that's not sustainable; it WILL end at some point. Are you actually a fan of the Pats or are you only a fan of winning?

Second, I don't even see how anyone can feel so negatively about ANY game considering we were just treated to the greatest comeback and Super Bowl performance of all time, and probably the most epic win any of us will ever see last year. And two years prior, another incredibly epic Super Bowl win which was previously the greatest comeback ever. I mean, the team could really suck and have a few rebuilding years and I would be fine with that - these last two wins have been so sweet, the good feelings from them will last a long, long time. Certainly a hell of a lot longer than one freaking regular season game.

Finally, the team has had bad games in winning seasons before. They weren't perfect by any means last season and won the Super Bowl. Hell, they weren't CLOSE to perfect IN that Super Bowl and still won it. Two years ago they got spanked on prime time by this same KC team and what happened? Super Bowl win. And there are other examples in the last decade-plus of great seasons by the Pats which contained **** games. It happens. We've been saying it for years now - the first few weeks are essentially extended preseason because of how training camp practice has been watered down. This will especially be true in a year where their potentially most critical offensive piece, Edelman, was just lost for the year a couple weeks ago. It will take time to settle everything and that might mean a few losses. But here's your PSA: they have the GOAT QB, HC and TE all on the team who are all driven to do everything possible to get it fixed and end the season hoisting the trophy again. Have these men not proven time and time again that they deserve an abundance of patience and respect?

If one loss (which wasn't even that bad of a loss), one game into the season, causes you to lose your **** and give up on the team, then perhaps you should consider finding another team to cheer for. Unfortunately, I don't think you will find one, because if your standard is perfection then you'll be looking indefinitely.

Just wanted to say my piece and hopefully influence some positivity here. I know some posters are just straight up trolls, and we do our best to cull that behavior when we can as mods, but most negativity is not trolling. Just be patient, people, and have a little respect for the team that's already given us more than any fan could ever ask for or deserve.
What have you done for me lately? Also from what i read on thursday night it was the new meat on here that were *****ing the most, good riddins if this causes thme to leave.

I respect your opinion Ross, but I have to disagree.

I think the issue I have is that too many people take it upon themselves to try to police how others feel by calling them "trolls" "chicken-littles" and "pink-hats" or even making subtle comments like yours, "you should consider finding another team to cheer for."

If fans are passionate, then it's to be expected that they overreact or over-scrutinize. But that's their right as fans. I don't see the big deal.

To me, censorship is a much bigger concern than "negativity" -- the tendency of mods or posters to get over-protective of their team, and not tolerate criticism or concerns others might have in the heat of the moment. I just don't see the need for a moderator to approve or disapprove of some opinions, or question peoples' loyalty or commitment to the team.

The Celtics forum doesn't get this heated about opinions. But the Patriots are a lightning rod of like no other team I follow. Fans get upset....and then more fans get upset that others are upset? WTF??

Last edited:
It really is amazing and pretty ****ing sad tbh.

I'm new here but the amount of complaining & *****ing is pathetic.

They were holding

They were cheating

Waaahhaa my ass hurts

KC came into the game with a particular game plan and stuck to it through and through. That's football.

They kicked our ass.

Some people must have a real hard time moving on from a bad day, rejection and L's in real life.

This loss hurt some but I guess I've been rejected and got my ass kicked enough to know the Sun is coming out tomorrow.

We have an incredibly talented team with the best coach in the world staring the ship.

GO PATS!!!!!

I agree but few people here seems to be losing it. This franchise is now one of the most heralded in sports and we are certainly fortunate fans. The game fundamentals and effort were disappointing, but I'm pretty confident most of the flaws will be corrected before the Saints game.

I have been a fan for 58 years and have watched a lot of lousy games. It
was shocking to see a Belichick coached team play that badly defensively.

Ross-

I admire the effort, but I don't see the negativity as any greater or less than it has been here for many years. There are some crazy, ridiculous, reactionary posters who seem to expect 19-0 and go cataclysmic with every loss and even non-spectacular wins. They showed up in force after a few titles, and materialize in the forum after every loss (and some times after wins with 16-0 predictions after 1 or fewer games). In some fashion, I suspect we can thank the Patriots for being so good that fans have this type of reaction after a loss because it is so contrary to expectations in almost every game.

It will never be glass half full for everyone (there will always be optimists and pessimists), and the reactionary posters (outside the game day thread where that is more commonly stream of consciousness) might consider looking to recent Patriots history before jumping from the cliff of gloom and doom after a setback based on little to no information.

I enjoy the counter views when it is actually fact-based. Forums were not intended to be one view. Feel free to offer a "Brady is done," "Belichick is done" or "Patriots are done" argument, but do it with facts that might suggest what is happening is any different than what happened in the previous seasons from 2000-2017. When the basis for the argument is the "I saw it" or "I just know" from an armchair quarterback lacking any professional expertise on the topic, intelligent discussion will not follow. The reality is Belichick makes bad decisions, Brady has bad games and the Pats lose. Trend predictions require more than 1 data point, or it's called speculation.

I think the issue I have is that too many people take it upon themselves to try to police how others feel by calling them "trolls" "chicken-littles" and "pink-hats" or even making subtle comments like yours, "you should consider finding another team to cheer for."

If fans are passionate, then it's to be expected that they overreact or over-scrutinize. But that's their right as fans. I don't see the big deal.

To me, censorship is a much bigger concern than "negativity" -- the tendency of mods or posters to get over-protective of their team, and not tolerate criticism or concerns others might have in the heat of the moment. I just don't see the need for a moderator to approve or disapprove of some opinions, or question peoples' loyalty or commitment to the team.

The Celtics forum doesn't get this heated about opinions. But the Patriots are a lightning rod of like no other team I follow. Fans get upset....and then more fans get upset that others are upset? WTF??
Let me be clear - this post is my opinion, not some kind of moderator-mandated policy. I'm sorry if the way I wrote it came off as a directive of some kind, that was not my intention at all. I'm a mod but I was a poster and a fan here before that; I'm just putting my opinion out there with everyone else's with the hope that it can change some mindsets, but I would never want to force you to change your mindset.

I also don't take issue with posters being critical of the team's approach - it was by no means a perfect effort. The coaching left a lot to be desired and I have many questions about what exactly the game plan was; further, it felt like the coaches quit on the game by the fourth quarter. I would never in a million years be upset by fans being critical of a bad outing. My post is directed at those who seem intent on screaming from the rooftops about how Brady is getting old, his arm is shot, they should start Garoppolo next week, doubting Belichick, etc. It's one thing to criticize; it's another to behave as though you personally know better than the team or are being emotionally harmed by them.

Again, this isn't about censoring anything. I just want to influence a more positive mindset, but I'm not commanding it. If everybody continues doing exactly what they were doing, oh well. We'll still moderate the same way we were before my post.

Ross-

I admire the effort, but I don't see the negativity as any greater or less than it has been here for many years. There are some crazy, ridiculous, reactionary posters who seem to expect 19-0 and go cataclysmic with every loss and even non-spectacular wins. They showed up in force after a few titles, and materialize in the forum after every loss (and some times after wins with 16-0 predictions after 1 or fewer games). In some fashion, I suspect we can thank the Patriots for being so good that fans have this type of reaction after a loss because it is so contrary to expectations in almost every game.

It will never be glass half full for everyone (there will always be optimists and pessimists), and the reactionary posters (outside the game day thread where that is more commonly stream of consciousness) might consider looking to recent Patriots history before jumping from the cliff of gloom and doom after a setback based on little to no information.

I enjoy the counter views when it is actually fact-based. Forums were not intended to be one view. Feel free to offer a "Brady is done," "Belichick is done" or "Patriots are done" argument, but do it with facts that might suggest what is happening is any different than what happened in the previous seasons from 2000-2017. When the basis for the argument is the "I saw it" or "I just know" from an armchair quarterback lacking any professional expertise on the topic, intelligent discussion will not follow. The reality is Belichick makes bad decisions, Brady has bad games and the Pats lose. Trend predictions require more than 1 data point, or it's called speculation.
Yeah, it's definitely possible that there's not as much negativity as I feel like there is. I'm not personally going through every thread so if I'm off-base then feel free to let me know. I absolutely support having different opinions; if everyone agreed on everything then this would be a really boring forum! Again, just trying to influence positivity in general. Couldn't hurt, right?

IMO it's I am spoiled syndrome.

I would bet that most of the negative Nancy's around here also thought the Pats were going undefeated.

News flash they weren't.

You are right that fans can be chicken-littles and pink-hats. "Trolls" might be overboard, because that ascribes intent, where really we only have evidence of ignorance, not malice.

One day the chicken-littles and pink-hats will be right. I do not think that it is today. If it is, I believe that the staff in Foxborough is capable of making the call -- if any management in the NFL is.

A loss (singular) after the unbelievable, for-the-ages culmination of the '16 season, is not grounds for benching Brady, just for example (as Ross points out).

So yeah people have the "right" to "feel" this, that, and the other thing. But everybody else who has put up with the pink-hats for, let's see, evah, have the right to say "shup pink-hat."

What irks me is that when they're coming out with this after 1 game, they appear to be rooting for this one game to be a "catalyst." That's where "Brady Loyalists" go insane, the idea that people are ROOTING for him to be booted.

I root for that at the exact moment it's announced from the podium. At that point, go Jimmy. Up until that point, say what you want to. I've seen Brady roll right over this kind of rot time after time.

3 straight losses in '14. It was definitely time to think about moving on. We were "On to Cincinnati." Sure, I figured, prove it. This time, it just felt different.

Result: super bowl victory.

So yeah, shup pink-hats.

Most fickle fan base on the planet. It's a product of all the bandwagon jumpers. This is worse than 2014 for sure, and that was a complete embarrassment and a **** stain on the entire organization. You people that turned your back on Brady sicken me. Please go kindly **** right off.

I have come to enjoy the patriots overcoming obstacles. I would take last year's super bowl over a blowout any year.

That's what makes TB different than "stats" qbs.

I think there's more threads about hypothetical negativity than actual negative threads.

I expect BB is being pretty negative this week. Hey, the D was terrible. That's a concern. Hopefully it's an aberration that will disappear as quickly as it arose.

This D should be pretty good. We've had games where mental mistakes have made certain aspects look terrible resulting in a L in the past that were corrected. I don't see why this circumstance should be any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back