PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's keep it together, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I share the sentiment that fans are spoiled. It's no longer about supporting your team. It's about entertainment and "fans" believe they're entitled to it.

We just won the Superbowl. There's a reason that's hard to pull off twice in a row. We're seeing part of that reason right now with all of these injuries.

I think this team can adjust and recover. If not I don't intend to lose any sleep. If bb can't salvage a season I'm prepared to declare it unsalvageable

Im sorry if my thread last night led to this thread Ross, but I agree with both sides to be honest. On one side you have the trolls, but on the other side you have people who will try and make you look stupid and talk down to you for having a negative opinion. I mean, in most game threads I will say something like: "Brady's playing bad" and get three dislikes, get callex a ****** and told to root for a different team. Seriously? I love this team amd they could go 4-12and I'd still root for them. I want to make this clear: I am not calling anybody out, but there have been times I've almost left this site becausethere's an air here at times that I need to be positive all the time or agree with the veteran posters (I like them all) and it can be annoying. It doesn't ruin my life and its not a BIG deal, bt at times I feel below other people here and I don't feelthat way on any other website and on most sites I am a leader type and moderate hundreds of people at once. I just think the air of me feeling "below" is what annoys me andsome comments on here directed at me is the reason. Like, being called a ****** or having a veteran poster say "everybody, don't take him others seriously anymore" because of a negative comment I had on Jacoby. I am a very thick skin guy andI like the people here. I just hate coming on and feeling "below" others. I thinkthis thread sorta ties into that.

I

Last edited:
I really don't think the reaction to this loss has been the epic sky is falling that we've seen from others in the past. I think most of the criticism has been constructive and not out of bounds. I feel like 98% of the fan base feels they just ran into the wrong opponent to have an off night against.

If you think this was bad get your ritalin ready should they lose to the Saints because that will be worse than KC in 05 or 14, Miami in 06, the two Raven playoff losses..........0-2 this board would sound like the uniforms were green and white and hadn't won a super bowl since before Woodstock.

Im sorry if my thread last night led to this thread Ross, but I agree with both sides to be honest. On one side you have the trolls, but on the other side you have people who will try and make you look stupid and talk down to you for having a negative opinion. I mean, in most game threads I will say something like: "Brady's playing bad" and get three dislikes, get callex a ****** and told to root for a different team. Seriously? I love this team amd they could go 4-12and I'd still root for them. I want to make this clear: I am not calling anybody out, but there have been times I've almost left this site becausethere's an air here at times that I need to be positive all the time or agree with the veteran posters (I like them all) and it can be annoying. It doesn't ruin my life and its not a BIG deal, bt at times I feel below other people here and I don't feelthat way on any other website and on most sites I am a leader type and moderate hundreds of people at once. I just think the air of me feeling "below" is what annoys me andsome comments on here directed at me is the reason. Like, being called a ****** or having a veteran poster say "everybody, don't take him others seriously anymore" because of a negative comment I had on Jacoby. I am a very thick skin guy andI like the people here. I just hate coming on and feeling "below" others. I thinkthis thread sorta ties into tat.

I

What you are seeing is what happens when a winning team, the winningest in history, falters. There are those that pile on for the sake of piling on, those that are realists, and then those who just flat out won't listen nor have the ability to see the truth. Problem is, those who flat out don't want/can't see the truth lump the realists in with the trolls. That's what destroys past boards such as this that has flourished for so many years.

All you have to work on is what you see in front of you. Past performance doesn't ensure future success. Heck, BB will be the first to tell everyone that. It's the same for the writers who had full drafts of the SB 51 story ready to write, and just before they hit send a miracle happened.

Some posters would probably key Chris Harper's car.

I wouldn't key his car or punch him in the face, but I'd definitely tell him he ****in sucks to his face. He had one goddamn job. Catch the punt. ****. We were still undefeated at the time and had a big lead in that game.

As for the current situation, I'm not worried. I know they'll improve. Just like I said they would when we lost to the Chiefs back in 2014. The turnaround might not happen in the Saints game, but it'll happen eventually. But if it doesn't, I won't be angry. With all the success we've had, it's hard to be frustrated. We won five SBs and beat the gates. How can anyone, as a Pats fan, not still be smiling even after a loss? Especially a week 1 loss?

In your own words, there is no gray area for fans to operate in....... and some, like myself, cringe when they read these posts describing the 'right kind of Pats fan.'

Clearly, you have a precise definition of an "actual Pats fan", how they should behave, and where they should go if they don't demonstrate complete loyalty.
Including your moderator credentials to close out your "opinion" post was not the best choice because you clearly demonstrated that your position is not moderate.
Really? You've cut out four partial sentences from random sections of a very long post and tried to piece them together to form a narrative that was obviously not present in my post. Your last point about my "credentials" is nonsense. I was specifically referencing a different issue (trolling) and how it was not the same as the issue I was posting about. I did not in any way relate my "credentials" to any of my opinions in the rest of the post.

You've literally got 3 pieces of sentences without the context of the rest of the sentence/paragraph, and one question, again without context. I feel as though you read my post with some sort of preconceived bias against it or something.

Regardless, I've already stated multiple times that this post was my opinion and that I was not intending to force anyone to change their mind; I was simply trying to influence a positive outlook. I feel as though most posters, even those who disagreed with my viewpoint, understood that. But if anyone else feels that I demonstrated a totalitarian attitude and demanded loyalty from all posters, and waved my status around doing so, please let me know.

Im sorry if my thread last night led to this thread Ross, but I agree with both sides to be honest. On one side you have the trolls, but on the other side you have people who will try and make you look stupid and talk down to you for having a negative opinion. I mean, in most game threads I will say something like: "Brady's playing bad" and get three dislikes, get callex a ****** and told to root for a different team. Seriously? I love this team amd they could go 4-12and I'd still root for them. I want to make this clear: I am not calling anybody out, but there have been times I've almost left this site becausethere's an air here at times that I need to be positive all the time or agree with the veteran posters (I like them all) and it can be annoying. It doesn't ruin my life and its not a BIG deal, bt at times I feel below other people here and I don't feelthat way on any other website and on most sites I am a leader type and moderate hundreds of people at once. I just think the air of me feeling "below" is what annoys me andsome comments on here directed at me is the reason. Like, being called a ****** or having a veteran poster say "everybody, don't take him others seriously anymore" because of a negative comment I had on Jacoby. I am a very thick skin guy andI like the people here. I just hate coming on and feeling "below" others. I thinkthis thread sorta ties into that.

I
Hey, thanks for sharing your viewpoint. I actually haven't read into your thread too much, so no, it's not a direct correlation.

I think it's a valid point that it goes both ways. Some posters are way too negative and reactionary, but some are also "homers" and can get bothered when someone is critical. Neither is really a good thing, though homer-ism will inherently be less provocative simply because it is a site dedicated to fans of the team, so not many are gonna take issue with you being a homer... you know?

I'm sorry you feel that there's a certain air on the site or a pressure that would make you want to leave. That's obviously not something we want. As far as veteran posters, I am sure that newer posters will not always get along with the vets, but it's not really a requirement to be "in good standing" with the long-term guys. I mean, I've only been here 3-ish years or so and I am pretty certain I've disagreed with most regular posters here at one time or another (god knows everybody had a grudge against me during Harper's Muff...), and I ended up as a moderator despite that. @ashley1992 also joined right around the same time as me and is in the same situation, so there's no requirement to get along with certain people or feel a certain way to be welcome here. I personally enjoy your posts and I can tell that you're invested in your discussions which is something very valuable; you're not a "drop a hot take and leave" kind of poster.

Please let me know if you run into any situations in the future that make you feel this way and we can discuss personally, if you'd like. I'm a little surprised that you'd feel that way because I thought you were a pretty generally welcomed and regular poster here up until this point, so it's certainly something I'm open to talking with you about.

I really don't think the reaction to this loss has been the epic sky is falling that we've seen from others in the past. I think most of the criticism has been constructive and not out of bounds. I feel like 98% of the fan base feels they just ran into the wrong opponent to have an off night against.

If you think this was bad get your ritalin ready should they lose to the Saints because that will be worse than KC in 05 or 14, Miami in 06, the two Raven playoff losses..........0-2 this board would sound like the uniforms were green and white and hadn't won a super bowl since before Woodstock.
Yeah, that's part of the reason I wanted to start this post - if I could generate a more positive outlook on things now then hopefully that would carry over to next week in the event of a Saints loss. My post was not totally focused on this one game but was also referencing to have faith in BB and TB... even if the team is 0-2 to start, they can certainly get on the right track.

@Ross12 - I want to double and triple down on my stance that this post isn't against anyone and I am NOT calling anyone out. I respect the people here and am impressed by some impressed by their football knowledge. Tony, RobertWeathers, BradyFTW to just name a few, but there are more.

Its just at times I feel pressured to agree or not say something in fear I will be cast aside by the older members and I don't feel that way elsewhere. Some of it can potentially be in my head, but I've seen it ingame threads and have had it happen to me in the past. Generally, for example: You get three dislikes, called a ****** and then a veteran member will say "Okay guys, don't take him seriously anymore", but other examples could be generated. I just don't enjoy feeling below and that directly ties into arguments made in this thread. Its not a HUGE deal and I am not trying to start anything by saying this and some of it like I said could be in my head.

This article from the Herald should perhaps be required reading for fans of the Patriots (as well as certain members of the Boston sports media) in the aftermath of the week one loss to the Chiefs.

Patriots’ loss to Chiefs joins pantheon of worst in Belichick era

In the seasons of three of the five games listed, the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl.

Only one of those five games finished with less than the 15 point differential from Thursday's final score.

You think this is bad?

Try being a fan in 1990 when the Pats lost 14 straight, starting with a 41-7 beatdown and then a 42-7 loss to the Jets in the next to last game.

Or being a fan in '72 when the Patriots lost 52-0 to Miami, and then 31-0 two weeks later to the Colts.

Or a fan of the 1970 Patriots, who scored more than 14 points just once after week two, including a six game stretch when they failed to score more than ten points.

smh.....

Try being a fan in 1990 when the Pats lost 14 straight, starting with a 41-7 beatdown and then a 42-7 loss to the Jets in the next to last game.

Or being a fan in '72 when the Patriots lost 52-0 to Miami, and then 31-0 two weeks later to the Colts.

Or a fan of the 1970 Patriots, who scored more than 14 points just once after week two, including a six game stretch when they failed to score more than ten points.

Ahhhh the good old days. I would assume if that went on now that the posters here would have a meltdown that would crash the internet. Then again, the posters who act like that probably wouldnt follow teams like that or at least make the effort to join a forum.

I

If I go to the game day threads it is never to look for rationale or reasoning. hahaha I will mirander in now and then to take a peek at the insanity because sometimes it's just great humor.

Maybe this week I'll go in just to stir the pot a bit. haha Could be fun. Red X's flying in all directions.

I agree but few people here seems to be losing it. This franchise is now one of the most heralded in sports and we are certainly fortunate fans. The game fundamentals and effort were disappointing, but I'm pretty confident most of the flaws will be corrected before the Saints game.

You are right that fans can be chicken-littles and pink-hats. "Trolls" might be overboard, because that ascribes intent, where really we only have evidence of ignorance, not malice.

One day the chicken-littles and pink-hats will be right. I do not think that it is today. If it is, I believe that the staff in Foxborough is capable of making the call -- if any management in the NFL is.

A loss (singular) after the unbelievable, for-the-ages culmination of the '16 season, is not grounds for benching Brady, just for example (as Ross points out).

So yeah people have the "right" to "feel" this, that, and the other thing. But everybody else who has put up with the pink-hats for, let's see, evah, have the right to say "shup pink-hat."

What irks me is that when they're coming out with this after 1 game, they appear to be rooting for this one game to be a "catalyst." That's where "Brady Loyalists" go insane, the idea that people are ROOTING for him to be booted.

I root for that at the exact moment it's announced from the podium. At that point, go Jimmy. Up until that point, say what you want to. I've seen Brady roll right over this kind of rot time after time.

3 straight losses in '14. It was definitely time to think about moving on. We were "On to Cincinnati." Sure, I figured, prove it. This time, it just felt different.

Result: super bowl victory.

So yeah, shup pink-hats.
Ain't no need for name-calling!

New Englanders - Americans - do like to complain, though. Don't get much opportunity for that around Foxborough lately.

Remember back during the 21-game win streak, the only thing people wanted to talk about was the punter.

Yeah, it's definitely possible that there's not as much negativity as I feel like there is. I'm not personally going through every thread so if I'm off-base then feel free to let me know. I absolutely support having different opinions; if everyone agreed on everything then this would be a really boring forum! Again, just trying to influence positivity in general. Couldn't hurt, right?
Man, I got blasted when I insisted we could still do it during the third quarter last February...

"Robert Weathers is not walking through that door. If he does he'll be grey and old..."

View attachment 17954
th
th

I'll tell you what I've told my two kids. Do not allow an anonymous poster on an internet forum wreck your day. You don't know them so why would you value their insults enough to ruin your life?

With that said I don't think it was the "Chicken Little" comments that bothered you. I think it was that your opinion was overwhelmingly disagreed with.

If you can't handle the debate or if it gets to you emotionally then you should back off and take a break.
But Tony, You don't understand................Somebody was wrong on the internet!:rolleyes:

The average defense this weekend gave up under 300 yards. The 2nd to worst gave up 408 yards. We gave up 129 more than the next worst team. We gave up 8.4 yards per play. That's Big 12 defense bad.

Years from now Week 1 2017 Pats vs. KC may be regarded as the #1 WTF game of the BB era. Maybe even above the 31-0 shutout to Buff in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back