PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LaFell, Decker, Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I believe many on this board have already read the PFT article about how the Patriots will soon get a look at "the one who got away", written by none other than Mike Florio, the hater himself. And several people pointed out that Denver actually went after Brandon LaFell before turning to Emmanuel Sanders, which makes the gist of the article potentially plausible if you reversed the teams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oon-get-a-close-look-at-the-one-who-got-away/

I thought it was interesting to see the ties between these three receivers who ultimately were involved in a game of musical chairs at the end of their rookie contracts, as these three, despite having different receiving styles, have been tied together in the past as well. You may recall that the 2010 draft was absolutely stacked with talent. As a side note, rounds 3-4 produced NoVorro Bowman, Jimmy Graham, Alterraun Verner, Aaron Hernandez, Dennis Pitta, and Geno Atkins.

Late in the third round, LaFell, Sanders, and Decker all got drafted at relatively the same time. LaFell went 78th, Sanders 82nd, and Decker 87th. Only Jordan Shipley at 84 was in between those selections.

The Patriots drafted Taylor Price at #90 (the 49ers took Bowman with the next pick and the Saints took Jimmy Graham four picks after that.)

It just goes to show how difficult having the later picks are for teams like the Patriots, especially on a year to year basis. You wonder if they would have drafted one of those three players had they been given the chance, but by the time the draft got to #90, all of the gems had already been plucked. Maybe they would have picked Price anyway- I certainly don't know- but the Patriots need to deal with this handicap in every round, not just the first.

Back to LaFell, Decker, and Sanders. With their rookie contracts coming up at the same time, many teams, including Denver, had Sanders pegged as their top rated FA WR with LaFell second.

http://fansided.com/2014/10/24/denver-broncos-targeted-brandon-lafell-emmanuel-sanders/

The final contract numbers were as follows:

Eric Decker, 36.25M, 15M guaranteed (5 years)
Emmanuel Sanders, $18M, 6M guaranteed (3 years)
Brandon LaFell, $9M, 3M guaranteed (3 years)

Of course, the Jets, the suckers that they always are, went for the shiny name with Decker, giving him the most of the three despite the universal doubt that much of his success was from Manning and his surrounding cast. That doubt certainly seems true now, although looking at his numbers with Geno Smith can be as misleading as his numbers with Manning, albeit in the opposite direction.

The Broncos, I think, got a good deal with Sanders, who provides an explosive inside and outside threat, although, like with Decker, he also benefits greatly from playing against second and third cornerbacks and benefits from being an afterthought weapon in Manning's arsenal. Sanders has proven early on that he is the real deal. Keep in mind, though, that they are paying twice as much for Sanders than they would have for LaFell, who, in that offense, may have been just as effective.

Finally, the Patriots, I think got the guy that they really needed. It's not that Sanders would not be good here, but they already have enough small, quick receivers. Although LaFell might not be a burner on the outside, he does provide them with a vertical threat, not just on post routes. So far, he has been the piece they have been missing since Randy Moss left, and again, that is for half the money that Sanders got. Although you may call me a homer, I think that SO FAR the results show the Patriots made the best decision in getting LaFell for a fraction of the price of Decker and half the price of Sanders. Though Sanders has appeared on the highlight reel often, let's remember again that (a) the Patriots already have an outstanding slot receiver, and (b) Sanders has been frequently covered by the other team's Kyle Arrington while LaFell has been covered by their Darrelle Revis. I think, in that sense, LaFell's season thus far has been equally as impressive.

I apologize if this derails the thread, but it seems like a good time to formally concede victory to Brady6 with regard to our LaFell bet. I was very down on Brandon and have been proven demonstrably wrong.

You win, buddy. My sig is yours for the rest of the season.

So, I am putting it out there... what should I change my signature to?

With regards to Decker getting the most, it seems only fair to factor in a certain amount for "hazard" pay.

The hazard being what it will do for your career/next contract playing for a team that is ultimately hopeless on offense. Thus, the true hazard being that you lose your will to compete as loss after loss stacks up against you and you know there's not a darn thing you can do about it.

So, in that regards, Decker clearly deserves more $$$.

I think LaFell and Sanders are interchangeable.

I think either player would do well if they ended up on either team. Obviously money wise the patriots win out there, but i don't think sanders would be doing significantly better then Lafell has.

Decker is the big loser in terms of success. I'm sure he can dry his tears with those stacks of hundred dollar bills though.

So far, he has been the piece they have been missing since Randy Moss left

I understand what you are saying with this statement but there are going to be some people who take it in a way that you are saying LaFell is an Elite #1 WR.

I hope last week finally put to rest the whole "lafell or sanders' argument. we both kind of made out. Lafell has become a solid contributer an
I think LaFell and Sanders are interchangeable.

I think either player would do well if they ended up on either team. Obviously money wise the patriots win out there, but i don't think sanders would be doing significantly better then Lafell has.

Decker is the big loser in terms of success. I'm sure he can dry his tears with those stacks of hundred dollar bills though.

Lafell is projected for 922yards and 8td's on the season...that is pretty solid.

to me, its really Sanders or Edelman....and I take Edelman even though he has had the dropsies the past couple of weeks. he is still on pace for another close to 1000yard season

Lafell is projected for 922yards and 8td's on the season...that is pretty solid.

It should be pointed out that Brandon has had almost all of his production in the last five games. If he keeps up that pace, it'll be a whole lot more than 922/8.

Let's be honest Decker had absolutely no say in the matter of going to the Jets, short of it maybe being a California team.

It should be pointed out that Brandon has had almost all of his production in the last five games. If he keeps up that pace, it'll be a whole lot more than 922/8.

Ya the pace he is on since the Oakland game is 70/1075/9 TD.

Which that pace over 16 games would be 80/1230/10 TD.

It's so easy to just pour all your money into flashy names.

I must admit I was wrong about Sanders didn't think he was much of a WR. LaFell on the otherhand is on pace to have his best season ever he was just a 600yds guy at best in Carolina he's already pass 400yds at the half way point after doing didley squat in the First Three games. LaFell maybe much better than regarded it was aboout time BB strike gold at WR getting something for relatively nothing. I was a little down on Aaron Dobson not being dressed but what a good Option to have coming off the bench If one of our WR's go down I don't think we would skip a beat Offensively if Aaron had to go in Great dept if you ask me.

Good OP
BB wins the deal when considering the 3 contracts vs output....tough to argue that one. I think all 3 teams selected the right WR. The Jets needed a red zone target...and they got one...they just don't have a QB to find Decker in the red zone. Denver found a move WR that can line up in the backfield, out wide, in the slot....and as one poster noted....he likely avoids the #1 CB. Huge win for Denver that allows them to be very creative...and it shows. NE got a BIG target that can create yards after the catch....combining both elements in WR is a big win. Brandon Lloyd's catch and fall routine still gives me night mares. Reflecting on NE's deep threats last year...Edelman...and the year before ...Welker...NE has definitely improved. Then consider Brady's accuracy yesterday at his 3 BIG targets.....26 for 26. Size is not just for the red zone baby.
On a personal note...I want to see more of Wright.....He is a smooth athlete and is essentially NE's second giant WR. From midget white dudes to fleet towers......in just a blink of an eye. BB transformed his weaponry on the fly.....with very little down time. That's why he is BB.

I thought all three WRs would do well here b/c TB is throwing to them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back