PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think that Mac is the last chance for Belichick.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Belichick must do all he can to support BOB and Mac over the next 3-4 years. That's plenty of time if it is clear that Mac is the plan. I suppose that he could still switch this year to Zappe or trade for someone next year, I just don't see it happening.
============
HOWEVER, I do see the possibility of succeeding with Mac, given the cap money, and given the youngsters that we have been bringing in last year and this. Belichick should plan to have Jones through his 5th year and perhaps a franchise year. Then he can retire. Of course, if this isn't working, he can retire earlier.
============
As an aside, Belichick should become "friends" with Deon Sanders. There are probably plenty underrated players at black colleges that should be making the NFL, presumably in the 6th and later rounds, We drafted the only player. Sanders is pretty pi$$ed off. Bolden spoke out, agreeing with Sanders. He then said that he wouldn't mention this again, and just how grateful he was to the patriots.

Do you?

BB has two or three years left. He's trying to leave things in good hands for Mayo or whoever the next guy is. I think he realizes that the team is a long way away from making it to the Super Bowl again. That doesn't mean he doesn't believe in Mac or does believe in Zappe. He's just trying to put the team in the best position he knows how. (Elite D. Capable offense).

Do you?

BB has two or three years left. He's trying to leave things in good hands for Mayo or whoever the next guy is. I think he realizes that the team is a long way away from making it to the Super Bowl again. That doesn't mean he doesn't believe in Mac or does believe in Zappe. He's just trying to put the team in the best position he knows how. (Elite D. Capable offense).

Agree with this 100%, that’s exactly what’s going on. I don’t think Belichick ever gives up on the intention of winning every game, but he’s completely disciplined about doing the right things for the franchise, and not blowing up the future to try and win a Lombardi for himself this season. I don’t think their offense will be bad this season, they just won’t be one that can get into shootouts weekly in a conference that is deeper at QB than I have ever seen, He going to try to win the way they won their first Lombardi in 01’, by controlling TOP and field position, and playing great defense. The difference is that now there are numerous high powered offenses to get by, not just a few.

With the advent of Rodgers, the emergence of Tua/Hill/Waddle and the ever present Josh, the need to improve this D is paramount. As much as the O needs work, to expect them to play from behind is not feasible.. then after last year's debacle the focus on ST's will make this team better.

BB has a plan it is not glamorous or flashy, but this team will have a different identity and when he goes on his own terms it will be well prepared for his successor..

With the advent of Rodgers, the emergence of Tua/Hill/Waddle and the ever present Josh, the need to improve this D is paramount. As much as the O needs work, to expect them to play from behind is not feasible.. then after last year's debacle the focus on ST's will make this team better.

BB has a plan it is not glamorous or flashy, but this team will have a different identity and when he goes on his own terms it will be well prepared for his successor..

Tua is the weak spot for the fish, and I feel bad for him. He should be stepping into a coaching ole right now, and giving up on his playing dreams. He did serious damage to his long term well being last season, and if it happens again this season I think his career will be over. If so the fish will become a talented team with no QB, which is a death sentence in the AFC. And while right now it appears that the AFCE IS loaded at QB, it could be a very different landscape when 2025 rolls around.

Agree. It's unreasonable to think this offense can keep up with the top offenses in the league. Improving the D is paramount.

They certainly need to score more points but this offense needs to help the D by converting 3rd and 4th downs. Last year they converted 34.9% on 3rd and 38% on 4th which was near the bottom of the league in both categories. 2021 was 44% and 71%. That's a huge difference.

I expect that to improve with BOB.

Last year the D was 5th in yards per play but 26th in time on the field (or 8th most) .

So both need to improve a lot to go deep in the playoffs. :p

The Pats can get back in the quest for the Vince Lombardi cup with competent QB play. That means taking advantage of opportunities and protecting the ball.

That is the key. Jones will get the starting nod because is much easier to go from Jones to Zappe. Jones does not have the maturity that Zappe has who has been a man through all of this. This is very similar to Bledsoe and Brady. You cant just bench your # 1 draft pick QB like he is an OT. BB said that Brady had a great 2001 camp and was ready, but Bledsoe got the start regardless.

Defense, Special teams, RBs will surely be adequate. The NE passing game must get up to NFL standards despite hurt feelings. We cannot throw away another season. The Pats can cause some damage in the 2023 post season.

I think getting into the playoffs might be tough this year, even with a stronger defense and competent offense/special teams.. I do wonder if Bill doesn't make it into the playoffs if this is his last season here.

But I also don't know what to think of the AFCE right now. Jets look better, we haven't stopped the Bills in forever and the Dolphins should be better. But Tua could get knocked out, the wheels could come off the Rodgers bus and I think the Bills aren't as great as everyone makes them out to be.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that we make the playoffs and Bill gets to keep coaching here, but I really have no idea.

Jones will get the starting nod because is much easier to go from Jones to Zappe. Jones does not have the maturity that Zappe has who has been a man through all of this. This is very similar to Bledsoe and Brady. You cant just bench your # 1 draft pick QB like he is an OT. BB said that Brady had a great 2001 camp and was ready, but Bledsoe got the start regardless.

Facepalm Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com

Belichick must do all he can to support BOB and Mac over the next 3-4 years. That's plenty of time if it is clear that Mac is the plan. I suppose that he could still switch this year to Zappe or trade for someone next year, I just don't see it happening.
============
HOWEVER, I do see the possibility of succeeding with Mac, given the cap money, and given the youngsters that we have been bringing in last year and this. Belichick should plan to have Jones through his 5th year and perhaps a franchise year. Then he can retire. Of course, if this isn't working, he can retire earlier.
============
As an aside, Belichick should become "friends" with Deon Sanders. There are probably plenty underrated players at black colleges that should be making the NFL, presumably in the 6th and later rounds, We drafted the only player. Sanders is pretty pi$$ed off. Bolden spoke out, agreeing with Sanders. He then said that he wouldn't mention this again, and just how grateful he was to the patriots.
============
============
Well done, well done I'm with you 100% on the HBCU!! Well on Mac.. I believe he can lead this franchise.. he showed promise his rookie season. We all know what happened last season So I find it interesting that the message has been this is a new year, nothing last year or the years before matter. It feels like last season is trying to be wiped away. However I believe ownership will hold that against BB as great as he's been!

I'm thinking 3 years for BB given his age &contract. This team has a good amount of young players, ascending players, vets and some guys that need to prove themselves. The teams feels from the draft that they have an offense that can compete as they now have a qualified OC and QBs coach. People may not understand how important the relationship has to be with the qbs coach especially for a young QB like Mac.

Lots of reason for us as fans to be optimistic for our team for 2023

I don't think Mac is established enough to say he's the only one BB can win with.

I think O'Brien bringing in a new QB is not out of the question. Unless a top QB stares at you in the draft, there's no point in expending prime draft capital for one either.

Remember, Vinny Testaverde stepped in and QBd the Jets, Charlie Weis got him up to speed, and Vinny T. was very good.

I believe Mac's obstacles are more mental than physical.

I don't think Mac is established enough to say he's the only one BB can win with.

I think O'Brien bringing in a new QB is not out of the question. Unless a top QB stares at you in the draft, there's no point in expending prime draft capital for one either.

Remember, Vinny Testaverde stepped in and QBd the Jets, Charlie Weis got him up to speed, and Vinny T. was very good.

I believe Mac's obstacles are more mental than physical.
Mac was on an upward trajectory, this is why last seasons issues were so egregious as it took the franchise off track a bit. Without good QB play as we've been the beneficiary of for 19 seasons.. a franchise isn't going anywhere. Mac has had 2 seasons now and was establishing himself. This will be his 3rd where he'll have have every opportunity I'd imagine to make it emphatically known he is the QB going forward. So the time is now for Mac, BB and the organization to get this team back into a contender.

The Pats can get back in the quest for the Vince Lombardi cup with competent QB play. That means taking advantage of opportunities and protecting the ball.

That is the key. Jones will get the starting nod because is much easier to go from Jones to Zappe. Jones does not have the maturity that Zappe has who has been a man through all of this. This is very similar to Bledsoe and Brady. You cant just bench your # 1 draft pick QB like he is an OT. BB said that Brady had a great 2001 camp and was ready, but Bledsoe got the start regardless.
If it comes down to these two Mac likely will get the starting nod because he is the better QB. No other reason.

Zappe doesn't belong in the same sentence as the GOAT Tom Brady and he never will.
Defense, Special teams, RBs will surely be adequate. The NE passing game must get up to NFL standards despite hurt feelings. We cannot throw away another season. The Pats can cause some damage in the 2023 post season.
The defense wasn't as good the last few years as people say it was. I mean... making the Bills punt last season was an "accomplishment". Without terrible weather they weren't good enough to slow down top offenses in this league. I'm really liking what they did in this draft and I expect a big improvement there. Ditto for ST's.

I think getting into the playoffs might be tough this year, even with a stronger defense and competent offense/special teams.. I do wonder if Bill doesn't make it into the playoffs if this is his last season here.

But I also don't know what to think of the AFCE right now. Jets look better, we haven't stopped the Bills in forever and the Dolphins should be better. But Tua could get knocked out, the wheels could come off the Rodgers bus and I think the Bills aren't as great as everyone makes them out to be.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that we make the playoffs and Bill gets to keep coaching here, but I really have no idea.
Agreed, but I think we will. We had the Bills if not for a historic special teams meltdown (2 KO return TDs -- what?). Dolphins blew their chance w/ all those draft picks and bad luck with Tua and look to be on the decline. Jets have great D -- we just gotta hope we get aging and weird Aaron rather than MVP Aaron.

If they find out this year it's not Mac in the next year or 2 I think you let Bill get one more crack with a Vet of his choosing. Ideally a rookie so it has longer lasting potential but I think BB would want some established.

If it comes down to these two Mac likely will get the starting nod because he is the better QB. No other reason.

Zappe doesn't belong in the same sentence as the GOAT Tom Brady and he never will.

The defense wasn't as good the last few years as people say it was. I mean... making the Bills punt last season was an "accomplishment". Without terrible weather they weren't good enough to slow down top offenses in this league. I'm really liking what they did in this draft and I expect a big improvement there. Ditto for ST's.
Some have argued that the secondary was good.. I'd say they were in spurts.. however unable to make crunch time plays or limit top notch WRs.. allowing Diggs and Allen to play catch, and as u mentioned a celebration on making bills punt.. that existed due to not having the DNA of a patriots defense the premier lock down corner. .. Gonzalez fits that mold.

I don't know how some people think Bill can keep trotting out 8 win teams each year and keep this job. At this point his wagon his hitched to Mac and if Mac flames out this year I think Bill is gone. Kraft has pretty much said Bill is running out of time and we need to start winning in the post season.

It's strange to me how people are so in to deciding what BB's destiny is going to be, with nothing but their own intuition and biases to guide them. It seems to give them some sense of power, which suggests they lack that in their real lives so they manufacture it by creating narratives. Maybe they need to get a dog so they have something they can be in charge of?

It's strange to me how people are so in to deciding what BB's destiny is going to be, with nothing but their own intuition and biases to guide them. It seems to give them some sense of power, which suggests they lack that in their real lives so they manufacture it by creating narratives. Maybe they need to get a dog so they have something they can be in charge of?
You truly think based on Kraft's comments over the last couple years if Bill doesn't at least get to the post season this year then he's gone? Not asking in an antagonistic way just truly curious what bar you think Bill has to clear to be the coach again next year?

You truly think based on Kraft's comments over the last couple years if Bill doesn't at least get to the post season this year then he's gone? Not asking in an antagonistic way just truly curious what bar you think Bill has to clear to be the coach again next year?
Since we're all just going with our intuition and our biases, barring a total collapse of the team in terms of leadership/morale/direction I think Bill will leave when Bill decides to leave. I don't at all think that Bill is one playoff miss away from being fired. I don't think Kraft is at all ready to take the heat of firing Bill for missing the playoffs, regardless of what he's said about being disappointed by recent performances.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back