PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think that Mac is the last chance for Belichick.

He's just trying to put the team in the best position he knows how. Bad defense 25th ranked in scoring, with 25.3 ppg allowed. Pathetic offense 31st ranked in scoring with 12.0 ppg.
Fixed it for you! Now it's accurate. You're welcome! :thumbsup:

I can tell you right now if BB ties his coaching career to Mac's QB career he's gonna end up getting fired by Robert Kraft.

What he has to do is draft a new franchise QB and tell the owner he needs a couple of years to 'train up' the new QB.

Mac Jones was projected only to be a mid-tier QB at best during the draft process.

And now he's shown us his cards, he's barely even a game manager -- Throws too many interceptions, has zero composure in the pocket, terrible body language when he's beind in the game.

In other word's he 'ain't that guy' and he's never going to be 'that guy'.

BB used to get away with drafting/signing lesser offensive talent and stocking up on defense because Brady turned the crappy ingredients into a good offense with the sheer ability to elevate everyone around him. Mac ain't that type of talent.

BB needs a 'special talent' at QB to win or else he reverts back to a pumpkin, IE Cleveland Belichick.

He's now 80-93 without Tom Brady's services.
He doesn't deserve a couple of years to train up a new QB. He is the one that didn't want to sign Brady longterm and let him walk with only Stidham on the roster. He is the one that panicked and snagged Cam last minute. He is the one who decided to sit in the draft and wait to see which QB would fall to him. He is the one that screwed up on drafting lineman and WR's for years. He's the one who thought a meaningless win against the Jets was worth losing draft positioning in a big QB class. He's the one that built this team.

Newsflash, we saw how Trevor Lawrence looked on a ****ty Jaguars team year one. Bill wasn't surrounding him with better talent. We saw how Allen and Tua looked before their teams went out and found elite talent. Bill has not shown himself capable of building those types of offenses around his QB.

There is zero reason to have faith in his ability to get a solid QB and then surround him with what it takes to play well. Whoever he gets isn't going to be Tom Brady who attracts talent and is worldclass at elevating talent. Hell I don't want him around to get stupid this year and win a meaningless Giants/Broncos/Jets game to fall out of the top 5 so he can draft another QB who "fell to him" and can have an excuse. His time passed.

He had both Edelman and Gronk. While Dobson showed some promise (huge game against Pittsburgh), both he and Thompkins weren't enough. They had no shot without Gronk and Talib tapping out of the game early to go ice up.
That was the only game the Patriots ever played in the Brady era that I knew we were losing even though I didn’t say it out loud.

2013 Edelman was a good little receiver but if he’s literally all a defense has to swallow up, you’re ****ed. Peyton should be embarrassed it was as close as it was.

Worked out though because Peyton took a massive legacy hit and then we got #4.

Wasn’t just Gronk. Players dropped like flies to injury bug that year.

I can tell you right now if BB ties his coaching career to Mac's QB career he's gonna end up getting fired by Robert Kraft.

What he has to do is draft a new franchise QB and tell the owner he needs a couple of years to 'train up' the new QB.

Mac Jones was projected only to be a mid-tier QB at best during the draft process.

And now he's shown us his cards, he's barely even a game manager -- Throws too many interceptions, has zero composure in the pocket, terrible body language when he's beind in the game.

BB used to get away with drafting/signing lesser offensive talent and stocking up on defense because Brady turned the crappy ingredients into a good offense with the sheer ability to elevate everyone around him. Mac ain't that type of talent.

BB needs a 'special talent' at QB to win or else he reverts back to a pumpkin, IE Cleveland Belichick.

take mac jones talent out of the equation. What of how Bill handled his 3 years gives you confidence you want Bill to handle the next QB's first 3 years and will do it right? Even if they are an elite talent.

everything you could do wrong with a young QB to kill their development, bill did.

its a core philosophy issue he has with offense. and unless that changes the next QB will also be ruined if we give them 3 OC's (one being a DC) and garbage at OL and receiver and tell them to "make it work".

to those disliking my post. Would you want a new high QB prospect drafted and put behind this line throwing to parker/juju? And then possibly have 3 separate OCs

Or would you rather them have a young offensive mind to give consistency. A strong OL and elite receivers to make the game easier?

I honestly would sit the young QB prospect until our offensive talent is vastly improved. I don't want them destroyed mentally trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh$t

2 things can be true. Mac could be a mediocre talent who wasn't going to be the guy. AND Bill could've mishandled the situation by hiring a DC as his OC, and putting mediocre players at OL, WR and throughout the offense.

Look at how teams are building their offense in 2023. And look at New England. Even with elite QB play the ceiling is a middling .500 team

The next QB we draft will come from the 2nd or 3rd round…with a chip on his shoulder. 1st round prima donnas think they can get by with winging it with their past college successes. Draft an O-lineman in the 1st or 2nd and play him where his skills are best used…not where the team needs him most.

He doesn't deserve a couple of years to train up a new QB. He is the one that didn't want to sign Brady longterm and let him walk with only Stidham on the roster. He is the one that panicked and snagged Cam last minute. He is the one who decided to sit in the draft and wait to see which QB would fall to him. He is the one that screwed up on drafting lineman and WR's for years. He's the one who thought a meaningless win against the Jets was worth losing draft positioning in a big QB class. He's the one that built this team.

Newsflash, we saw how Trevor Lawrence looked on a ****ty Jaguars team year one. Bill wasn't surrounding him with better talent. We saw how Allen and Tua looked before their teams went out and found elite talent. Bill has not shown himself capable of building those types of offenses around his QB.

There is zero reason to have faith in his ability to get a solid QB and then surround him with what it takes to play well. Whoever he gets isn't going to be Tom Brady who attracts talent and is worldclass at elevating talent. Hell I don't want him around to get stupid this year and win a meaningless Giants/Broncos/Jets game to fall out of the top 5 so he can draft another QB who "fell to him" and can have an excuse. His time passed.
Belichick can whip up a great defense, but everything else? He has always been heavily flawed and Brady masked it.

Talent evaluation? Discipline? Locker room? Coaching staff? Situational football? Clutchness? Roster management?

I agree, I also don't have faith in his ability either

Belichick can whip up a great defense, but everything else? He has always been heavily flawed and Brady masked it.

Talent evaluation? Discipline? Locker room? Coaching staff? Situational football? Clutchness? Roster management?

I agree, I also don't have faith in his ability either
Despite recent events, BB remains one of the best football coaches in the history of the NFL. Don't forget that he (and his coaching staff) developed TB12, rebuilt the team and locker room several times during his time in NE. He was in charge during Mac's promising rookie year. All this happened during the salary cap era that was designed to prevent dynasties while having to constantly replace coaches who left for bettor opportunities including JMD. Sadly he is also responsible for making the biggest mistake of his career when he put MP/JJ in charge of the offense. As a result Mac is psychologically damaged and the locker room is fractured. We need to see how things work out for the rest of the season before starting over with a new coach.

BB should not be drafting anyone anymore. Stick a fork in GM Bill he’s done. That chapter is over.

If he is ok with staying on as HC for a year or so longer then great but someone else needs to be in charge of personnel and I expect someone else will be soon enough.

I upvoted this because it is true. I wish it weren't, but it is. I would only add that I am a Hell of lot more angry at Bill over his failures than I am disappointed in Mac's skills and development. I suspect you are right in your harsh assessment of Mac, but if Bill had done his job, we could actually know what he is. Another year of Bill the GM is unthinkable. Another year of Mac, presumably by way of transition to a replacement, would be much more palatable.

Despite recent events, BB remains one of the best football coaches in the history of the NFL. Don't forget that he (and his coaching staff) developed TB12, rebuilt the team and locker room several times during his time in NE. He was in charge during Mac's promising rookie year. All this happened during the salary cap era that was designed to prevent dynasties while having to constantly replace coaches who left for bettor opportunities including JMD. Sadly he is also responsible for making the biggest mistake of his career when he put MP/JJ in charge of the offense. As a result Mac is psychologically damaged and the locker room is fractured. We need to see how things work out for the rest of the season before starting over with a new coach.
Bill is indeed "one of the best football coaches in the history of the NFL," but he is clearly not one of the best coaches in the current NFL. Bill the GM was mediocre at his best. The past few years, he's been almost weirdly awful.

Bill is indeed "one of the best football coaches in the history of the NFL," but he is clearly not one of the best coaches in the current NFL. Bill the GM was mediocre at his best. The past few years, he's been almost weirdly awful.
Don't forget that it is always darkest before turns pitch black.

You think this season is salvageable? At this point I'm on the draft pick train :whistle:
Clearly the playoffs are not realistic. Tanking in the hopes of getting a player that could possibly make a difference next year does not work in the NFL. It is supposed to be entertainment, the world is not going to end because the Pats stink. To that point, salvageable (your word) is defined as being able to watch a team that is playing to its talent level.

Clearly the playoffs are not realistic. Tanking in the hopes of getting a player that could possibly make a difference next year does not work in the NFL. It is supposed to be entertainment, the world is not going to end because the Pats stink. To that point, salvageable (your word) is defined as being able to watch a team that is playing to its talent level.

Yeah, I was half joking about tanking for draft pics. That is never a good idea and I wouldn't want or expect BB to do that. My more sober view is that I now just don't have an expectation for wins this season, our offense is just in such a shambles. But I do hope for them, and root for them to win. I say "half" joking because I wouldn't complain about a really good pick this year. But I don't necessarily trust BB to be the one to make it.

This season is tough, lots of eye opening moments with the team and just how bad we are. But it's the NFL and unlikely wins happen. I rooted for Grogan and have seen some ugly years.

It’s incredible that Brady went 12-4 with an AFCCG appearance with the 2013 team. He would have had a hard on for Parker, JJSS, Bourne, and Henry when compared to the flaming pile of garbage he was throwing to.
I think 2019 was similar. They had lost their OL, all their FBs and had no TEs, and Brady still led them to a 12-4 record and were a bs call vs KC away from 13-3 and the #1 seed. Then Blunder Bill stepped in to show the world he didn't need Brady and the ****show began.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back