PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelley Washington signed

And based on how aggressive BB has been with getting WR's in free agency, it says to me that he blames the offense just as much as the defense for the collapse against the Colts.

I see it more as being p*ssed off at getting caught in the Twig situation last year. I don't think you'll see Pioli get caught like that again.
Wouldn't be surprised to see them trade out a 1st rd pick for 08 draft pick at this point.

6 career starts. 6. Like...6 more than I have.

Appeared in 12 games total over the last two seasons.

decent production during his first two seasons, and very little since.

19 receptions combined, the last two years.

WoW,we will be in glendale!!! :D

Yeah it's pretty sweet. Most Dolphins fans were pissed when we beat them out for Stallworth. Now this!

Not one of the three WR you've signed has 1000 yard season nor probowl, Two of them have had injury issues recently and the other you gave up 2 draft picks for. It's not like you signed Terrell Owens, Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison!!! Sure you added to your WR group, but none of them are excepetional WR's, infact 2 of them are nothing more then slot WR'S the other drops a lot of passes. I'll be shocked if one of them isn't released before the start of the season.

Last edited:
I'm not wild about the guy, either, but I don't believe Kelley Washington is lumbering or slow.

For years weve been talking about how we needed that big, physical receiver to run the fade route to that Brady can just throw it up to. We've had to suffer Donald Hayes (remember him?), JJ Stokes, David Terell. Finally we get a guy with a lick of talent to go along with his size.

I view this signing as spending $300k to see if this guy is capable of sticking on the roster. His stats don't warrant any special consideration although he has been buried in a deep Bengals roster.
Right now, he is an extra body with potential.
Career stats...http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396119

HERE IS A GREAT PICTURE:

photo8.jpg

15- kelly washington
4- donte stallworth

Last edited:
Im sorry, I know the contract is structured liek stallworth's, but you dont give a guy a potential five year deal if you see him being a fourth wr, let alone wont make the team.

Is this the end of our two-tight end offense? Spread’em out and zone-block seems the new mantra. Is the K-gun next?

We have....

Donte Stallworth
Wes Welker
Kelley Washington
Reche Caldwell
Jabar Gaffney
Troy Brown
Chad Jackson
Bam Childress

I bet they cut him before the start of the season like David Terrell.

The best thing is if the Pats sign all the free agents then no one else can.

Well, not surprisingly, the Pats braintrust must have believed that having backups named Caldwell and Gaffney as your starting WR's wasn't the best way to go thru life as a NFL team.

Now with Stallworth, Welker and Washington around, it's entirely possible that we barely will hear the names Caldwell and/or Gaffney anymore. Can't say that would bother me any.

I'm imagining the following dialogue between Phil Simms and Jim Nantz during the Patriots first offensive possession of the '07 season:

Nantz: "...and on the offensive line, the Patriots have Matt Light, Logan Mank--"
Simms [interrupting]: "Hold on, Jim! It's just Koppen out there now!"
Nantz: "Excuse me, you're right! Brady's under center...and where is the rest of the offensive line?"
Simms: "They're not gonna go with one! It's just Brady and Koppen and a...a...a bunch of receivers!"
Nantz: "I count Marony, Watson, Kyle Brady, and then it just gets ridiculous. We've got seven wides, folks! There's Caldwell at the top of your screen, Gaffney's under him, Welker's in motion--no wait, that's Brown--Welker's-- Oh hell, I don't see Welker!"
Simms: "That's because Welker's under center, Jim!"
Nantz: "Oh, God, you're right! Welker's under center and Brady's in motion! What is going on! I've never seen anything like this before...and neither has the defense apparently, b/c they just called a time out!"
Simms: "And Belichick is laughing on the sideline, Jim! Look at him! He's laughing!"

Not one of the three WR you've signed has 1000 yard season nor probowl, Two of them have had injury issues recently and the other you gave up 2 draft picks for. It's not like you signed Terrell Owens, Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison!!! Sure you added to your WR group, but none of them are excepetional WR's, infact all three are nothing more then slot receivers. I'll be shocked if one of them isn't released before the start of the season.

I never said they were. Just that it's fun to pull players out form under a divisional team. I'm sure you feel the same way.

I'm imagining the following dialogue between Phil Simms and Jim Nantz during the Patriots first offensive possession of the '07 season:

Nantz: "...and on the offensive line, the Patriots have Matt Light, Logan Mank--"
Simms [interrupting]: "Hold on, Jim! It's just Koppen out there now!"
Nantz: "Excuse me, you're right! Brady's under center...and where is the rest of the offensive line?"
Simms: "They're not gonna go with one! It's just Brady and Koppen and a...a...a bunch of receivers!"
Nantz: "I count Marony, Watson, Kyle Brady, and then it just gets ridiculous. We've got seven wides, folks! There's Caldwell at the top of your screen, Gaffney's under him, Welker's in motion--no wait, that's Brown--Welker's-- Oh hell, I don't see Welker!"
Simms: "That's because Welker's under center, Jim!"
Nantz: "Oh, God, you're right! Welker's under center and Brady's in motion! What is going on! I've never seen anything like this before...and neither has the defense apparently, b/c they just called a time out!"
Simms: "And Belichick is laughing on the sideline, Jim! Look at him! He's laughing!"

That's great stuff.

Well, not surprisingly, the Pats braintrust must have believed that having backups named Caldwell and Gaffney as your starting WR's wasn't the best way to go thru life as a NFL team.

Now with Stallworth, Welker and Washington around, it's entirely possible that we barely will hear the names Caldwell and/or Gaffney anymore. Can't say that would bother me any.

+1
My message is too short, apparently.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back