PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelley Washington signed

LOL. Clearly Fin fans care about this considering there's an 11 page thread over at fin heaven.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=187040

Wow what a funny thread! Is it wrong for me to find pleasure in reading about the Dolphins wideout miseries and find out that the Pats moves this offseason are in part a cause of it? Had no idea we scooped 2 of the Phins targets in Stallworth and Washington. I guess that just makes those pickups all the sweeter! :)

I don't get why it is suddenly the sexy thing to bash Caldwell. He was our best and most consistent receiver last year and as someone showed in another post he really stepped up in the latter part of the season, down the stretch before the playoffs.

Open YOUR eyes and don't let a handful of plays in one game define your opinion of a player.

Tell me when Gaffney was signed... refresh my memory slick...

How can you compare stats with players, when they were signed at totally different times????

Come on now, you have a brain... use it.

If Gaffney had the same time as bug eyes... you would have seen a different stat sheet.

Not even worth debating...

I love how the Pats fans had nothing to talk about......ever before 2001, now they think their teams is the greatest to every play the game!!

Too bad for you that 2001 was six years ago. What has Miami done for you lately? :D

How can you compare stats with players, when they were signed at totally different times????

If Gaffney had the same time as bug eyes... you would have seen a different stat sheet.

Who's comparing them?

My whole point was that they both bring something valueable to the table, but here you go again making this into a Caldwell vs. Gaffney where if I defend Caldwell I'm automatically dissing Gaffney.

Gaffney has more upside than Caldwell imo... not even a question.

Whaaaa?

They're both solid receivers, Gaffney may have a more consistent resume, but Caldwell clearly has some upside, and I'd argue more upside of the two. Last season was the first season of his career he was consistently on the field, and he produced pretty well.

Doesn't matter, they're BOTH making the team.

What's not even worth debating is your ability to be an arrogant, condescending know it all. Why not try to find a way to enjoy people with opposing opinions? It won't mean you're less of a man, or don't know what you're talking about. Instead, you may be surprised to realize that acknowledging other's remarks shows confidence (ask a women if you doubt it. um, if you know one. :D ).

So the rumour of Randy Vataha coming out of retirement to play WR for the Pats is growing more doubtful by the day.

I don't get why it is suddenly the sexy thing to bash Caldwell. He was our best and most consistent receiver last year and as someone showed in another post he really stepped up in the latter part of the season, down the stretch before the playoffs. If he had kept that pace he would have have had well over 1000 yards over the entire season. Sort of puts a damper in the theory that he fops in the clutch. That and not to mention he made on of the best plays of the year on the catch that got us into field goal drive at the end of the game in the playoffs. It doesn't get much bigger than that. That doesn't mean I don't think Gaffney can be a good contributor too, but it seems like some are acting like it's either one or the other with them; you can not like one with out bashing the other, when that is not the case. Caldwell should not be our number one receiver but he can be one in a good group of receivers.

It's funny that BS and BW (Before Stallworth & Before Washington) there were very few complaints about Caldwell compared to today. It shows how deep the WRs have become all of a sudden to have a guy who worked so hard and came up big in the second half of the season and in the playoffs, especially against San Diego, as part of the mix. This is a strong group, and he'll provide the depth that's needed. You never know what his role will be during the 2007 season, and having him on the roster provides the insurance a team vying for the championship needs.

I do like this signing, I think this signing has a lot to do with Chad Jackson not fully ready mentally and physically for the 2007 season..

The 2 drops by Caldwell were straight on into his gut. He tryied to catch them against his lower body (which we all know is a no-no)!!

He will learn to catch that particular ball with his hands I trust.? (he was being too carefull which just about guarranteed those drops)

TC should tell us, as we have some great competition at WR.

As for Stallworth and Washington I see 1, but not both, making "THE 53".?

I really look for a trade for one of then before the season starts.

Maybe a pre or post draft day trade?

The 2 drops by Caldwell were straight on into his gut. He tryied to catch them against his lower body (which we all know is a no-no)!!

He will learn to catch that particular ball with his hands I trust.? (he was being too carefull which just about guarranteed those drops)

TC should tell us, as we have some great competition at WR.

As for Stallworth and Washington I see 1, but not both, making "THE 53".?

I really look for a trade for one of then before the season starts.

Maybe a pre or post draft day trade?

Why would we trade Washington when it will cost us basically nothing.. We will not trade Washington or Stallworth, who is a lock as much as a lock Tom Brady will be on the roster.. Gaffney or Caldwell could be traded, but I doubt it..

SPP, value? We shall see.

And you are correct, as we are all hypothesizing at this point.

Not one of the three WR you've signed has 1000 yard season nor probowl, Two of them have had injury issues recently and the other you gave up 2 draft picks for. It's not like you signed Terrell Owens, Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison!!! Sure you added to your WR group, but none of them are excepetional WR's, infact 2 of them are nothing more then slot WR'S the other drops a lot of passes. I'll be shocked if one of them isn't released before the start of the season.

Speaking of WRs that don't do squat, when is Chris Chambers going to start producing for my fantasy team? Talk about a complete waste of physical talent.

1) Uh... why? We're already set at receiver. Stallworth as the burner, Caldwell/Gaffney as the complimentary guy, Welker as the short yardage guy. Not to mention, before these threads, I've never heard of Kelley Washington.

2) EDIT: to elaborate on my point a little bit, isn't this a waste of money that could now be used to upgrade the LB and Safety positions?

1) Good question. The answer better not be: because the FO is pushing Troy Brown out the door.

2) Yes, it is. It's also a waste of time, which could be instead used looking for ILB and FS help.

Final thoughts while trying to play catch-up:

In a way, this signing corrects the mistake made during the 2003 draft, when the FO threw away a 4th-rounder, in order to move up 5 spots so they could select Bethel Johnson. Kelley Washington was the consensus BPA; little did most of us realize the greatness that was to be Anquan Boldin.

There was a post in another thread, in which the story of Washington vs. Stallworth was re-told. It shows Washington to be a selfish back-stabber. Should the FO not have taken that potential friction into account?

What is Washington's cap hit this season? Anything more than the vet minimum + is a waste.

As I've said before, if the FO wanted to take a chance on an underachieving WR from the class of 2003, with potential and size, then they should have signed the higher-character Justin Gage.

And finally, when the eff is the FO going to sign some effin ILBs and effin DBs?
Remember the Alamo, Remember the Maine, Remember the 32 points allowed in the 2nd half...

Im sorry, I know the contract is structured liek stallworth's, but you dont give a guy a potential five year deal if you see him being a fourth wr, let alone wont make the team.

Sure you do... when that same contract can be cut short to a 1 year deal worth peanuts.

Honestly, that multi-year option does NOTHING for the player other than maybe some bragging rights and is for the team's benefit... if, and only if, the player turns out to be good.

The contract is a low ball 1 year deal with an option for the team to retain the rights to the player for longer if they pay up big.

I don't see that as any kind of commitment to the player that warrents them automatically making the team.

Speaking of WRs that don't do squat, when is Chris Chambers going to start producing for my fantasy team? Talk about a complete waste of physical talent.

Name one WR the Pats have, thats better then Chambers or Booker!?!

Name one WR the Pats have, thats better then Chambers or Booker!?!

LOL you are such a homer. You get bent out of shape when someone suggests Chambers has underachieved a little, which most Fin fans would agree with.

LOL you are such a homer. You get bent out of shape when someone suggests Chambers has underachieved a little, which most Fin fans would agree with.

Well I would say the Offense as a whole has underachieved. I'm not bent out of shape. I simply asked a question. You can't seem to wait till someone posts something thats in anyway not a compliment to your team, as if they're perfect! Miami need 4 things to improve on the O side of the ball and become a much better team. LT, LG, QB and OC.

Since Daunte has had some great success in the NFL and he's only 30, it's not unreasonable to believe he can return to form once healthy. Since it's been almost 2 years since his Knee injury, it's also not unreasonable to believe he's going to be near 100% healthy come the start of the season. Daunte has had better numbers then Tom Brady as a QB, Tom Brady has had better numbers then Daunte on a consistent basis due to good coaching and steday talent. If Daunte's situation in Minn had remain constant isn't also reasonable to believe he would have continued to put up great numbers??

Therefore, the only real question for Daunte is will he be healthy. As for the OC, we now have Cam Cameron. An offensive minded coach. Is all his success in the NFL due to just the talent he had at his disposal?? It helped,but if you think Cam system works just because who he has then you don't know much about football. Cam is a very smart football coach who was probab;y the best OC the last 4 or 5 years. Miami's biggest weakness has been playcalling, not talent. We've had the talent, obviously since the Pats always struggle against us. So whats needed is a guy that can create mis-matches. All Miami needs is a nudge, they get the confidence to score points and it's a snowball effect.

As for the Oline, we have two young Tackles in Joe Toledo and Anhony Alabi they seem to have done some really nice stuff and we expect a lot from them. Miami hasn't spent a lot in FA because the draft has some really talented G's. I expect us to spend one of our 2 2nd rounders on a G, I wouldn't be surprised if we also tried to get Ryan Kalil from USC. Either way our line will be shored up.

So as much as you think Miami has done little to improve their O, in reality the biggest problems have been taken care of by releasing some really bad players and trading others. I also wouldn't be surprised if Trent Green were a Dolphin before mini camps begin. I wouldn't expect the bad luck Miami has had behind center to continue forever, as much as I'm sure you Pats fans hope it will. It only takes one good season to change the attitudes of a team and since Miami already has the best Defense in the division, it's not like we need to change everything to succeed. I'm not claiming we will be anything at this point. Just pointing out things look better now for the Fins then they did midway through the 06 season.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back