PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelley Washington signed

How much is he going to get for the one year?

I don't know the first thing about this guy. Never really even heard of him.

What have his issues been for the last two years, and why does he only have 6 starts in 4 years?

He was injured two years ago.. plus he had Chad Johnson, TJ Whosyourmomma and Chris Henry ahead of him in Cincy

What have his issues been for the last two years, and why does he only have 6 starts in 4 years?

I know he's had trouble with durability from his days in college.

Calm down. This is an audition. Just like Stallworth's. Just like Jackson's if he ever gets on the field. All three of these players have "issues" that BB obviously wants to sort out by observing them first hand and seeing if they can overcome them in this system. What is likely is that no more than two of them make the roster this year and more likely only one remains after this year. Meanwhile they all push each other lest any one of them think he's got a spot here by virtue of his signing or drafting.

This is all about competition at WR - it is on!

And the draft is all about D. I wouldn't look for a WR before the 6th.

Still and all ...
it's not a day you want to be
Bam Childress or Kelvin Kight.

Um, yeah - WR was clearly not something Belichick considered an offseason need.

Wow, the 5-wide packages got a little more interesting over the last few days huh? Happy to hear for both guys the Pats can make a decision next year, no long term deals for either of 2 guys who are by no means sure things.

WOW!

We are really getting ahead of ourselves on this board today. If Troy wants play another year he will be back with the team. We haven't even had the draft yet. We will probably draft a WR some time during the two days.

Training Camp is when this all gets sorted out. Last year I was down there and there were two WR's practicing that weren't even on the roster and I had no idea who they were.

Let's no declare Troy out of the mix yet and let's not think that a WR won't be called on April 28th or 29th.

So, anyone have any details about this guy as a player? Was he shunned by the Bengals because he hasn't committed a felony?

He's tall, does he have speed, and is he another to stretch the field?

By the way, the Pats have learned first hand with the defensive secondary that you can never have too many at one position.

Last edited:
Now, all we need is for Belichick to trade away his entire draft to move up and take Calvin Johnson. This board would have a collective brain aneurism.:rocker:

I think washington will be the number two on this team. A player like caldwell should not be a starter on a super bowl caliber offense. I think what youre looking at is stallworth, then washington or gaffney as the big guy/number 2, and welker from the slot. Washington was a first round projected talent when he came out, but fell because he was older (played baseball for four years) and a combination of minor injury and character concerns, then he got buried behind cinci's wr talent. We finally got a big, talented target for Brady!

So how much did Snyder pay for the team?:confused:

So how much did Snyder pay for the team?:confused:

haha. Its funny, because in MMQB today King said that he expected the Pats weren't done yet. Maybe this is what he was talking about?

I think washington will be the number two on this team. A player like caldwell should not be a starter on a super bowl caliber offense. I think what youre looking at is stallworth, then washington or gaffney as the big guy/number 2, and welker from the slot. Washington was a first round projected talent when he came out, but fell because he was older (played baseball for four years) and a combination of minor injury and character concerns, then he got buried behind cinci's wr talent. We finally got a big, talented target for Brady!

number 2???

heres how i see the wr's for next year:
1. stallworth
2. welker
3. caldwell
4./5. washington/gaffney
jackson will probably miss beginning of season

washington is a player who has a lot of upside, but in no way should he be a #2 wr especially with stallworth and welker

Another good signing with a lot of upside.

Capable wide receivers certainly isn't going to be a problem for us in 07!!!

I do wonder what this means for Troy Brown. You'd hate to miss out on Troy Brown's leadership and experience, especially with all the young guys in the receiving corps right now. I'd honestly carry 6 just for that reason, if Troy wants to come back. Of course, that leaves little room for my man CJax.

It's a crowded group. Better to have too many good wideouts then too little.

Jeez. Are they looking to go six-wide at some point?

No, since CJ will most likely start the year on PUP at best, and just in case Stallworth has a reacurring Hamstring, this way they can concentrate on defense in the draft....makes sense to me.

PD.

I dont like it. This really makes me think this is BB's last season here. We are loading up on talent that we really dont need. Ok we needed Stallworth but Kelly Washington. Hes not fast and is just another slow lumbering receiver.

I don't really get this signing. It really only makes sense if Troy Brown retires AND Chad Jackson are not expected to contribute in '07, which I guess is definitely possible. Anyway, won't this guy be our fifth WR?

If Troy Brown retires:

Stallworth
Gaffney (NOT CALDWELL d%#*!@t!!!)
Welker
Caldwell
Washington
Jackson?

So Washington isn't really necessary. I guess maybe they are hoping his presence will push others in training camp?

Last edited:
number 2???

heres how i see the wr's for next year:
1. stallworth
2. welker
3. caldwell
4./5. washington/gaffney
jackson will probably miss beginning of season

washington is a player who has a lot of upside, but in no way should he be a #2 wr especially with stallworth and welker

The reason I call welker a 3 is because I think theyll play him out of the slot mostly. He might end up with the # of receptions of a 2 but I think hell play out of the 3 hole (I forget the exact term its y or z).

I dont like it. This really makes me think this is BB's last season here. We are loading up on talent that we really dont need. Ok we needed Stallworth but Kelly Washington. Hes not fast and is just another slow lumbering receiver.

Who are our other slow, lumbering receivers?

Like mentioned earlier in this thread, Washington has great potential to be our main red zone threat.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
Back