PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben McAdoo has an impressive resume as QB evaluator

I knew that Allen had the raw materials to be a successful NFL QB. He did not come from a Pro style offense and needed development.

Lamar Jackson I would not want. Running NFL QBs don't work.

I think the point of the story is that the Pats are NOT being run by a group of blithering idiots like "some" fans here believe. Again, McAdoo;s past "successes" are no guarantee that the guy HE likes will either get to the Pats or will work out in the end.

BTW- ere are some people here who want to tear at Bill for that 17 trade out of the 32nd spot. With perfect 20-20 hindsight, they are claiming "we could have had Lamar" whine. They completely ignore the fact that in order for that pick to be successful you would have had to COMPLETELY change your offense (which is what the Ravens did) AND the fact that wasn't going to happen here with Brady coming off a Superbowl win and on his way to 2 MORE consecutive appearances the next 2 years.

Lamar Jackson made ZERO sense for the Pats in 2017. They made the right decision by passing on him. BTW- Jackson has won exactly 2 playoff games in his 6 years in the league and finished 2 of those seasons on the bench with injuries. Great individual player no doubt, but Brock Purdy has double the playoff wins in less than 2 years.

I have no idea what compelled me to write down that last sentence, take from it what you will.

The article says that McAdoo did an amazing job evaluating the QBs prospects in 2017 and 2018. That was 6 and 7 years ago. Why is there no mention of McAdoo's evaluations since then?

Perhaps because he was cooling his heels on the Giants dime in 2018 but the teams that employed him since might have preferred he keep his evaluations in house?

Perhaps because he was cooling his heels on the Giants dime in 2018 but the teams that employed him since might have preferred he keep his evaluations in house?
Thanks. I thought someone might know for sure. The lack of any recent predictions is conspicuous. McAdoo was hired as a QB coach for the Jaguars in 2020 and let go after 1 season. Being let go after one season does not seem to indicate that McAdoo is a QB guru. Seems to be more like a Joe Judge (Judge was a NYG head coach for 2 seasons, just like McAdoo, and then was let go after one awful year as a QB coach, just like McAdoo).

I think the point of the story is that the Pats are NOT being run by a group of blithering idiots like "some" fans here believe. Again, McAdoo;s past "successes" are no guarantee that the guy HE likes will either get to the Pats or will work out in the end.

The FA period was run by a group of blithering idiots, but McAdoo makes me think (hope) that the QB selection this year will be done by professionals (as long as Kraft does not get involved). This makes me much more optimistic about the draft than I was, even, gulp, if the Patriots do not trade down and select, say, JJ at three. I would a prefer a trade down and the selection of JJ, but that may not work.

Last edited:

BTW- ere are some people here who want to tear at Bill for that 17 trade out of the 32nd spot. With perfect 20-20 hindsight, they are claiming "we could have had Lamar" whine. They completely ignore the fact that in order for that pick to be successful you would have had to COMPLETELY change your offense (which is what the Ravens did) AND the fact that wasn't going to happen here with Brady coming off a Superbowl win and on his way to 2 MORE consecutive appearances the next 2 years.

Lamar Jackson made ZERO sense for the Pats in 2017. They made the right decision by passing on him. BTW- Jackson has won exactly 2 playoff games in his 6 years in the league and finished 2 of those seasons on the bench with injuries. Great individual player no doubt, but Brock Purdy has double the playoff wins in less than 2 years.

I have no idea what compelled me to write down that last sentence, take from it what you will.
And some fans want a Lamar Jackson clone for a QB here. I'm not interested. I'll take the Josh Allen type, but with an actually talented and deep RB Corps so he's not in the top 3 in rushing, nor tries to hurdle over linebackers on a regular basis (even after getting the required yardage). He's been wasted in Buffalo and if I was the owner I would have been very unhappy at least a few seasons ago.

Thanks. I thought someone might know for sure. The lack of any recent predictions is conspicuous. McAdoo was hired as a QB coach for the Jaguars in 2020 and let go after 1 season. Being let go after one season does not seem to indicate that McAdoo is a QB guru. Seems to be more like a Joe Judge (Judge was a NYG head coach for 2 seasons, just like McAdoo, and then was let go after one awful year as a QB coach, just like McAdoo).

To be fair McAdoo got broomed out of Jacksonville with the rest of Marrone's crew to make way for the Urban Meyer fiasco.

To be fair McAdoo got broomed out of Jacksonville with the rest of Marrone's crew to make way for the Urban Meyer fiasco.

To be fair McAdoo had two years in New York as head coach, followed by one year off, followed by one year in Jacksonville, followed by one year in Dallas, followed by one year in Carolina, and this year in New England. Why does none of his employers want to keep McAdoo for more than one year? To be fair, it must be because McAdoo is a QB guru and those teams did not need a QB guru?

To be fair McAdoo had two years in New York as head coach, followed by one year off, followed by one year in Jacksonville, followed by one year in Dallas, followed by one year in Carolina, and this year in New England. Why does none of his employers want to keep McAdoo for more than one year? To be fair, it must be because McAdoo is a QB guru and those teams did not need a QB guru?

I am not a McAdoo whisperer, I've never played one on TV and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm familiar with what happened in Jacksonville due to a nephew that also lost his job there when Khan brought in Meyer and his posse. No doubt Khan would like a mulligan on that ****show. The Dallas gig was probably McCarthy bringing in a guy who he was very familiar with from their years together in Green Bay, doing him a solid. Carolina was the same bad timing as Jacksonville, he got brought in by a guy on his way out in Ruhle.

Hmmm, Josh Allen ranking is impressive.

But he thought Josh Rosen was a better pick than Baker Mayfield?

Assessing QB talent and coaching QBs are two very different things. He might be in NE primarily for his skill at the former. It’s such a big pick, absolutely essential for the team to get right, why not bring in the guy who knows how to pick them? If scouting QBs is his true talent, then we want him here.

Hey, Ben, what do you think of Joe in a middle round?

Joe Milton III has freakish raw ability that needs to be guided for a year or two.

Hmmm, Josh Allen ranking is impressive.

But he thought Josh Rosen was a better pick than Baker Mayfield?

Sounds like he evaluated his traits but never considered his character. Josh Rosen’s air of entitlement stank like **** well before he got to the NFL. With some it’s well hidden, with others it’s completely obvious. With many they have to hit some adversity before it’s revealed. Bledsoe is a good example of the latter. He played well for the Patriots for a long time, but that was as the undisputed #1QB. Brady recognized this as soon as he got in the room with him, and told him he was going to take his job. And you actually got to see Bledsoe’s entitlement come to life when Belichick kept Brady as the starter, and Bledsoe called it “ my job.” Which it obviously wasn’t. And when Belichick stood fast Bledsoe actually went to Kraft to get him to force Belichick to put him back in as the starter. To his credit Kraft stood by Belichick, and to his credit Bledsoe was a good soldier the rest of the way.

Kenny Pickett is another example of this. There didn’t seem to be an issue with him until Tomlin benched him, as which point he refused to play as a back up, and ended up not dressing at the end of the season. Some of these guys just believe it’s their job to own, and they don’t believe they have to earn it every week. Brady understood this, never stopped working on his game, and was always accountable. And one of the most remarkable things about his career s that no teammate of his has ever talked **** about him, and when some of his fiercest opponents and critics actually came and played with him ( e.g… James Harrison) they immediately understood what made him so great.

Sounds like he evaluated his traits but never considered his character. Josh Rosen’s air of entitlement stank like **** well before he got to the NFL. With some it’s well hidden, with others it’s completely obvious. With many they have to hit some adversity before it’s revealed. Bledsoe is a good example of the latter. He played well for the Patriots for a long time, but that was as the undisputed #1QB. Brady recognized this as soon as he got in the room with him, and told him he was going to take his job. And you actually got to see Bledsoe’s entitlement come to life when Belichick kept Brady as the starter, and Bledsoe called it “ my job.” Which it obviously wasn’t. And when Belichick stood fast Bledsoe actually went to Kraft to get him to force Belichick to put him back in as the starter. To his credit Kraft stood by Belichick, and to his credit Bledsoe was a good soldier the rest of the way.
I didn't know about the behind-the-scenes stuff with Bledsoe. Bledsoe was a great teammate to Brady after the change was made. He advocated for himself in private, but in public his conduct was admirable. I'll never say a bad word about Bledsoe. He probably feels better about the whole situation now, knowing he gave way to the GOAT. Good guy.

I don’t care what McAdoo has done prior. All I care about is if he gets the job done for the one QB they bring in. When you look at his history it’s really good and so so.

I didn't know about the behind-the-scenes stuff with Bledsoe. Bledsoe was a great teammate to Brady after the change was made. He advocated for himself in private, but in public his conduct was admirable. I'll never say a bad word about Bledsoe. He probably feels better about the whole situation now, knowing he gave way to the GOAT. Good guy.

I like Bledsoe, and I agree that he was good teammate after Belichick refused to bend in the decision that Brady was going to remain the starter. But it’s undeniable that he called it “ my job” and went to Kraft to get him to overrule Belichick. Bledsoe probably didn’t even recognize it when he said it, but that’s the statement of someone who feels entitled.

This.

I don’t care what McAdoo has done prior. All I care about is if he gets the job done for the one QB they bring in. When you look at his history it’s really good and so so.

That’s better than most of the League.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back