Kelley Washington signed

Stallworth
Gaffney or Caldwell
Wes Welker
Caldwell or Gaffney
Kelly Washington
Chad Jackson - PUP/IR
2nd day draft pick

I have this feeling that the FO knows Troy is leaning toward retirement.

I think this indicates Troy definitely is retired and Jackson probably won't be available, at least until sometime during the season (via PUP) if he isn't on IR.

This is a good WR depth pickup. I don't think will threaten to start but will see plenty of playing time. Nice pickup and not worried about the price since I'm sure its reasonable.

woooooohhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it.. :)

Holy Frijoles!!

I remember BB interviewing the guy back when he was draftable...looks like a sweet deal for us. I am still in aweo of what the hell Belioli has been smokin'!!!

Our front office sure knows how to keep us on our toes, doesn't it? Just when you think you understand them, you realize how foolish you really are :)

Stallworth
Caldwell
Gaffney
Welker
Washington
Jackson

I guess we keep 6 WR, with uncertain availability of CJ - maybe active, inactive, PUP or IR.

Tom has some weapons boys... watch out!

The New England Patriots have signed another free-agent wide receiver, this time former Cincinnati Bengal Kelley Washington. The Patriots gave Washington a five-year deal worth up to $22 million, including a $300,000 signing bonus. The deal is similar in structure to the one that Donte' Stallworth signed with the Patriots. It contains a $4 million roster bonus payment that the Patriots will have to decide whether they want to pay a year from now. Washington turned down the chance to play in Miami, opting instead for New England.

That last sentence makes it all worth it!

Last edited:
I'd like to see the particulars of the deal, since we know the Pats wouldn't do anything unfavorable. I'm not willing to write off CJ either, as there are other "bubble" receivers on this team, and the terms of Washington's agreement will determine whether he or others must prove themselves by making the team in TC.

Good news! A logjam at WR is making Tommy very happy.

Reiss just added this quote to his entry...

Kelley Washington said:
“I'm happy to be a part of such a great franchise and to have the opportunity to help them get back and win another Super Bowl. The privilege to play with arguably, one of the best quarterbacks of all time, Tom Brady, and to be coached by someone like Bill Belichick is a blessing. I am very excited about contributing to the New England Patriots."

We're excited too. To say the least.

To me this says more that Troy is not coming back than anything about Jackson.

Six WR is really the idea number to carry. Five is too few and seven is too many. We started out with five last year but went to six near the end of the season. Having only five limits you because if one gets hurt then you can not spread out in five receiver formations.

It's certainly possible Jackson will not be ready for the beginning of the season but from everything we've heard it doesn't sound like an IR type injury. But really who knows. Stranger things have happened.

Wow, strange and fascinating. Especially given that WR is considered the deepest position in the draft...

So how's this for a reading: after the season, they get their choice of keeping Stallworth or Washington, depending on who produced for them. Not a bad position to be in.

But isn't anyone disturbed that he wasn't drafted in 2002? ;)

wow.

just wow.

Uh... why? We're already set at receiver. Stallworth as the burner, Caldwell/Gaffney as the complimentary guy, Welker as the short yardage guy. Not to mention, before these threads, I've never heard of Kelley Washington.

EDIT: to elaborate on my point a little bit, isn't this a waste of money that could now be used to upgrade the LB and Safety positions?

Last edited:
So we picked him up for 300 grand this season with the ability to extend him?

Looks like Washington signed a similar deal to Stallworth, according to Adam Schefter. I'm not sure how well Washington fits into your system, but I think these 1 year contracts are a smart and interesting move. (The reason I'm not sure how well he fits into the system is the Pats have seemed to favor quicker receivers, better route runners.) Give these guys a trial run, and either they work out or they don't. Not much to lose at all. Gives Chad Jackson a year to recover from torn ACL. Can fix holes on defense in draft. And competition brings out the best in players, and there is certainly competition at WR now.

It seems Tennesse is our new favorite college for wide receivers.

Uh... why? We're already set at receiver. Stallworth as the burner, Caldwell/Gaffney as the complimentary guy, Welker as the short yardage guy. Not to mention, before these threads, I've never heard of Kelley Washington.

EDIT: to elaborate on my point a little bit, isn't this a waste of money that could now be used to upgrade the LB and Safety positions?

This suprises me, but it can't hurt.

Unless he and Stallworth have some bad feelings toward each other.

Last edited:
Our SEC only receiving corps better work well with the man from the Big 10.

This suprises me, but it can't hurt.

Unless he and Stallworth have some bad feelings toward each other.

Eh, I guess I'm just a pessimist. To me, we now have enough receivers. The Colts exposed are middle as being slow all too well and I would have liked to see that money get spent on the D. But oh well, maybe Washington will be a star in our system like I can see Stallworth and Welker being.

He's played behind Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. No bums. We don't have two set-in-stone 1's and 2's so he has a better chance of working his way up here. At Miami he would've been the #2 easily, but yet Washington choose NE where the competition will be tough. That says a lot about the guy, IMO.

Last edited:

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back