PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelley Washington signed

The New England Patriots have signed another free-agent wide receiver, this time former Cincinnati Bengal Kelley Washington. The Patriots gave Washington a five-year deal worth up to $22 million, including a $300,000 signing bonus. The deal is similar in structure to the one that Donte' Stallworth signed with the Patriots. It contains a $4 million roster bonus payment that the Patriots will have to decide whether they want to pay a year from now. Washington turned down the chance to play in Miami, opting instead for New England.

That last sentence makes it all worth it!

Yeah it's pretty sweet. Most Dolphins fans were pissed when we beat them out for Stallworth. Now this!

Well after getting screwed by Deion last season and turning up on opening day with virtually no receivers, we don't seem to have to worry too much about a repeat this year.

Does anyone have any views about what carrying so many means for the draft? It seems to be stocked with WR talent, but I can't see us using either of the firsts on one now.

I think it's interesting to note that Washington is 6-foot-3. Might add a new dimension, especially in the red zone.

Wow!!! This is a great addition. Washington will beat out Caldwell and Gafney in this system as long as he stays healthy. He was just stuck behind some solid receivers in Cincy. By opening season, he will probably be starting opposite Stallworth with Welker as the slot. Tom has got to be loving this. I bet we draft a LB and DB with our first 2 picks for sure now. This is truly an exciting time for Pats Fans!!!!!!

We should have a lively competition at wide receiver this summer.

The Washington signing gives the Pats a little insurance at wide

receiver in 2008 when both Gaffney and Caldwell are free agents

(assuming they both make the team this year).

Last edited:
Eh, I guess I'm just a pessimist. To me, we now have enough receivers. The Colts exposed are middle as being slow all too well and I would have liked to see that money get spent on the D. But oh well, maybe Washington will be a star in our system like I can see Stallworth and Welker being.

The best way to fix the D problems is through the draft. We already helped with Thomas, and now we can spend less picks on offense because we have already signed a RB, TE, and WR's.

As I mentioned before in another thread I think BB is getting ready to open a new section in the playbook that's been adapted from Urban Meyer's passing offense! Man we are going to see an interesting change in our offense this year. "Okay guys . . . you go long!" Dinks, Dunks and Bombs Away. :D

Does anyone have any views about what carrying so many means for the draft? It seems to be stocked with WR talent, but I can't see us using either of the firsts on one now.

Maybe for BB, wide receiver is the "new" tight end. ;)

We should have a lively competition at wide receiver this summer.

The Washington signing gives the Pats a little insurance at wide

receiver in 2008 when both Gaffney and Caldwell are free agents

(assuming they both make the team this year).

So he gets 300 grand for the first year? Then we decide from there?

Super Bowl or bust baby

Seems like a strange signing but all of this competition at WR can't hurt at all.

Last edited:
I think it's interesting to note that Washington is 6-foot-3. Might add a new dimension, especially in the red zone.

I remember Washinton made a crazy catch against us for a TD in 2004. He really lept over the DB.

So he gets 300 grand for the first year? Then we decide from there?

He can't, right. That's way below the vet minimum. He's probably making at least $1.5 mill if the rest of his contract can be worth up to $22 MM.

Calm down. This is an audition. Just like Stallworth's. Just like Jackson's if he ever gets on the field. All three of these players have "issues" that BB obviously wants to sort out by observing them first hand and seeing if they can overcome them in this system. What is likely is that no more than two of them make the roster this year and more likely only one remains after this year. Meanwhile they all push each other lest any one of them think he's got a spot here by virtue of his signing or drafting.

I still think this has nothing to do with Troy. Welker was signed to be his replacement at WR/PR going forward. He still could serve a purpose as that players backup on offense and ST, not to mention the DB thing and leadership - which this unit may well need if it is to get off on the right foot. Stallworth reportedly had issues in NO relative to making it to meetings and practices. That doesn't fly here. Troy is all about earning your spot every season - he's had to for most of his 13 years - by out performing all comers or finding a way to make yourself invaluable via versatility and coachability.

This also lights a bigger fire under Caldwell and Gaffney heading into their contract seasons.

This is all about competition at WR - it is on!

And the draft is all about D. I wouldn't look for a WR before the 6th.

Last edited:
Eh, I guess I'm just a pessimist. To me, we now have enough receivers. The Colts exposed are middle as being slow all too well and I would have liked to see that money get spent on the D. But oh well, maybe Washington will be a star in our system like I can see Stallworth and Welker being.

And based on how aggressive BB has been with getting WR's in free agency, it says to me that he blames the offense just as much as the defense for the collapse against the Colts.

Why is Pats.Com the last to announce the news?

Two Words:

TOM BRADY. It's amazing what the allure of a GREAT QB can do. Both of these guys chose us over other teams that would have paid them more, and they both had the same reason.

TOM BRADY. :D

Of Course Kelly gave BB an honorable mention, but we know better. :p

I don't know the first thing about this guy. Never really even heard of him.

What have his issues been for the last two years, and why does he only have 6 starts in 4 years?

Wow..
He is someone I thought the pats would get if they didn't sign stallworth, but I never expected to sign both :eek:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back