PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelley Washington signed

I still can't believe signing a guy that averaged 18 catches a year is spawning a 100+ post thread, not to mention the spinoff threads about our previous #1 WR suddenly being totally disposable.

Amazing.

im not bummed at all but it raises questions..is Chad done for the season? Will we continue passing a lot in trips or 4 wide formations? Is someone going to get cut?

I understand Caldwell had a bad showing in Indy but no way does he go from our #1 WR to being cut..i wouldnt have minded Caldwell as our #2 in the Givens role and then let Gaffney battle

Both the Stallworth and Washington deals seem like great signings, both from a competition and contractual point of view. The point of the offseason is to strengthen your team, build depth and create competition. The Pats have done all those things and emphatically.

The Pats have flexibility any way you look at it here, if the players (Stallworth or Washington) make the team or if they have to part ways with them. It's a win-win all around for the team. We will have fun in training camp seeing how it all plays out.

I love how many Fin fans feel that beating us once a year somehow makes up for all the division titles and Superbowls we have recently won over them.

I love how the Pats fans had nothing to talk about......ever before 2001, now they think their teams is the greatest to every play the game!! There was a lot of SB talk here last year too and the year before that! But you didn't win it, there 's no guarantee you will ever win it again. Right now talkining about how great your team is, is pointless. The season doesn't start for another 5 months. And tell me again, how much of the success the Pats have had is because of you?? None?? Do you take credit for the work your co-workers do too??

Last edited:
Uh ok, like 8-9 signed whiteouts on the roster now (incl. Bam and Kevin). Ouch, I feel sorry for Bradys and Cassels throwing shoulder right now.

Time to sign Steve Austin right now and his $6 M bionic arm!

I love how the Pats fans had nothing to talk about......ever before 2001, now they think their teams is the greatest to every play the game!! There was a lot of SB talk here last year too and the year before that! But you didn't win it, there 's no guarantee you will ever win it again. Right now talkining about how great your team is, is pointless. The season doesn't start for another 5 months.

My team is competing for a Superbowl every year which is more than you can say about your team.

Last edited:
Still and all ...
it's not a day you want to be
Bam Childress or Kelvin Kight.
When you consider they are the only two who appear to have any Practice Squad eligibility left it may not be that bad. Still, time to start my Bam Childress for Nickelback lobby, just to have a back-up plan.

Are some fans really that full of themselves that they think every move another team makes is in direct response to them?

Yes.

Am I the only one bummed by this? After signing Stallworth I was hoping to grab a young guy like Stuckey in rounds 3/4 so we could groom him. WR is really strong this year and some good ones will slide. Now it looks like we don't have room for one. Well, at least we don't need to worry about the Pats using a #1 pick on WR.

And what makes you think the Pats won't do that? Since BB began coaching the Pats, they've never been status quo and continue to confound the draft "experts" by drafting the non-traditional or unexpected player. The assumption is that because the Pats have loaded up on WRs, they will look elsewhere in the 2007 draft. One only need to look at their continued drafting of TEs as an example. If there's a WR they want at the time they're drafting, he's going to be a Patriot.

I love how the Pats fans had nothing to talk about......ever before 2001, now they think their teams is the greatest to every play the game!! There was a lot of SB talk here last year too and the year before that! But you didn't win it, there 's no guarantee you will ever win it again. Right now talkining about how great your team is, is pointless. The season doesn't start for another 5 months.

Tracking the comings and goings in free agency

By Adam Schefter
NFL

The New England Patriots have signed another free-agent wide receiver, this time former Cincinnati Bengal Kelley Washington. The Patriots gave Washington a five-year deal worth up to $22 million, including a $300,000 signing bonus. The deal is similar in structure to the one that Donte' Stallworth signed with the Patriots. It contains a $4 million roster bonus payment that the Patriots will have to decide whether they want to pay a year from now. Washington turned down the chance to play in Miami, opting instead for New England.

It always feels good to beat the Dolfish. Even if we still have 6 months to go till the season begins.

Offseason scoreboard:
Pats 3 - Dolphins 0

Yes Pats are one of the greatest teams ever, at least we don't have to go back to the 1970's to feel good about our team.

And what makes you think the Pats won't do that? Since BB began coaching the Pats, they've never been status quo and continue to confound the draft "experts" by drafting the non-traditional or unexpected player. The assumption is that because the Pats have loaded up on WRs, they will look elsewhere in the 2007 draft. One only need to look at their continued drafting of TEs as an example. If there's a WR they want at the time they're drafting, he's going to be a Patriot.

Unless the Pats are getting rid of one of the WRs already on the team, we'd be drafting a WR for someone else. We've already got Stallworth, Washington, Welker, Caldwell, Gaffney, and Chad Jackson, and who knows where Mills will be listed? If the draftee is any good he'd get signed off the practice squad. Unless CJ is going to IR it would seem to be a waste.

Last edited:
Tracking the comings and goings in free agency

By Adam Schefter
NFL

The New England Patriots have signed another free-agent wide receiver, this time former Cincinnati Bengal Kelley Washington. The Patriots gave Washington a five-year deal worth up to $22 million, including a $300,000 signing bonus. The deal is similar in structure to the one that Donte' Stallworth signed with the Patriots. It contains a $4 million roster bonus payment that the Patriots will have to decide whether they want to pay a year from now. Washington turned down the chance to play in Miami, opting instead for New England.

It always feels good to beat the Dolfish. Even if we still have 6 months to go till the season begins.

Offseason scoreboard:
Pats 3 - Dolphins 0

Yes Pats are one of the greatest teams ever, at least we don't have to go back to the 1970's to feel good about our team.

Haha that is awesome. He prob took less money also. Just like Thomas and Stallworth.....

Last edited:
I love how the Pats fans had nothing to talk about......ever before 2001, now they think their teams is the greatest to every play the game!! There was a lot of SB talk here last year too and the year before that! But you didn't win it, there 's no guarantee you will ever win it again. Right now talkining about how great your team is, is pointless. The season doesn't start for another 5 months. And tell me again, how much of the success the Pats have had is because of you?? None?? Do you take credit for the work your co-workers do too??

Pal, this is a message board where the Patriots are discussed daily. It's also pointless for you to troll around here just for the sake of getting into an argument. Get a life!

Do you take credit for the pain Chris Chambers applies as per your username?

Why don’t you go troll a team that the Dolphins are on the same level as….let’s say Buffalo??

Yes that's right we are 'TALKINING' lots of trash right now and loving every minute of it Mr. McFishFilet. True the season doesn't start for many months for us. Sorry to say for the marine mammals it won't really be starting for many years - not until you get a decent QB - one that doesn't have a serious injury nor have a last name that is a fruit or a vegetable. [If you just squeeze my lemon, I might just fall out of bed....oh yeah baby].....:singing:

Two Words:

TOM BRADY. It's amazing what the allure of a GREAT QB can do. Both of these guys chose us over other teams that would have paid them more, and they both had the same reason.

TOM BRADY. :D

Of Course Kelly gave BB an honorable mention, but we know better. :p

Do you really think Washington wrote that quote himself? :)

Why don’t you go troll a team that the Dolphins are on the same level as….let’s say Buffalo??

Buffalo beat them 21-0 towards the end of last year, and Bills fans are loyal and diehard. Dolphins fans are mostly absentee and almost all obnoxious.

Unless the Pats are getting rid of one of the WRs already on the team, we'd be drafting a WR for someone else.

Not necessarily. There are lots of things that can happen between now and the start of TC and the season.

We've already got Stallworth, Washington, Welker, Caldwell, Gaffney, and Chad Jackson, and who knows where Mills will be listed? If the draftee any good he'd get signed off the practice squad. Unless CJ is going to IR it would seem to be a waste.

If the draftee is any good, there are a few other WRs that would be valuable to other teams. Again, lots can happen between now and when the bullets are live. Trades, anyone? I'm not even assuming CJ is out of the picture for TC or the season. Why? Because no one knows the extent of his injury and his rehab schedule.

The reason I love the recent loading up on WRs is that the Pats are hedging against injury, signing errors, and anything else to field a group of WRs who can provide the depth Brady and the team need. Just remember that the Pats have an out on Stallworth and Washington after the first year. It makes sense to keep adding strategic acquisitions to the team for the purpose of ensuring depth for the long term.

Douchebag! Are you really that slow? This team is the best dynasty to ever play the game! We were 4 points and one dropped pass away from 4 in six, Cornhole! Go back to your hole where you came from, TROLL!!!!

Buffalo beat them 21-0 towards the end of last year, and Bills fans are loyal and diehard. Dolphins fans are mostly absentee and almost all obnoxious.

Then maybe he should go troll the Bungles board. Bungles..Fins, both projected potential 2006 SB teams. How'd that work out?

And based on how aggressive BB has been with getting WR's in free agency, it says to me that he blames the offense just as much as the defense for the collapse against the Colts.

True. With Seau, Rodney, Geno, and Gay missing (3 starters, and a nickel back who is a former starter), the D had a bit of an excuse. The offense was almost completely healthy and still couldn't close the door after having so many chances late in the game.

I don't really get this signing. It really only makes sense if Troy Brown retires AND Chad Jackson are not expected to contribute in '07, which I guess is definitely possible. Anyway, won't this guy be our fifth WR?

If Troy Brown retires:

Stallworth
Gaffney (NOT CALDWELL d%#*!@t!!!)
Welker
Caldwell
Washington
Jackson?

So Washington isn't really necessary. I guess maybe they are hoping his presence will push others in training camp?

You can pretty much take this to the bank: By the time Jackson gets healthy, somebody else will have gotten injured.

Signing Washington is just a way to increase our chances at having 5 good/decent WRs active at the same time for the majority of the year.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back