PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just finished watching the game I recorded on VCR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the homers running into this thread with their panties all in a bunch, ready to defend their boy Cassel till the death. Cassel is HORRID, and he will NEVER be a good NFL QB.

This thread is not about Matt Cassel. It is observations about the backup QB who was absolutely horrid in the 2001 Denver game. Please stay on topic.

As I said previously, the two options were writing off the season or being cautiously optimistic. What have you seen so far, besides maybe the Jets game where you can honestly say one can be cautiously optimistic. Put me in the camp of "hope for the best". Unfortunately, that wasnt one of the options.

If there wasn't an option you liked, you had a very simple option of not casting a vote.

Now, to your point on the defensive plays. There is no question that the defense played poorly in both games. The run defense was not good against Miami and the pass defense was bad against SD. We all saw that. But where is the offense to keep things close? Its not there. Where are the sustained drives to give the defense fresh or to keep the other team's offense off the field? How about the chances we have had in the red zone? Or turning point plays like underthrowing Moss on that deep ball last game?

I keep getting confused. What part of "total team failure" are you anti-Cassel people so unwilling to understand? Are you all just constitutionally incapable of grasping the notion that the game was lost because of both the offense AND the defense stinking out the joint? Are you so gung ho to put forth the ever-so-daring notion that the backup quarterback to the greatest quarterback of all time is not as good as that G.O.A.T. quarterback that you have to throw away any pretense of reason in order to try making a point nobody is arguing against?

And you still didn't answer my question. did you not expect more out of Cassel, given his years in the system?

No, not really. Why would I have?

1.) As of today, there's still no substitute for actual game experience. Practice, book study, scrimmages and "exhibitions" are simply not the same. Cassel's success track has pretty much mirrored Brady's over the first few starts of their careers. While that doesn't mean that Cassel will be the next Brady, it does show that there's a learning curve involved.

2.) Matt Cassel is the BACKUP, and was not expected to have to play 16 games for the New England Patriots. He's Billy Joe Tolliver (career rating 67.7)/Sage Rosenfels (career rating 82.2)/Scott Zolak (career rating 64.8)/Chris Redman (career rating 79.5) etc..., and that's all he's supposed to be. If playing time allows him to develop into something more than that, it's just a bonus.

3.) I expect hugely inconsistent games out of Cassel. I expect that some games he'll look quite good, and I expect that some games he'll look awful, and I expect that we'll see both the decent and the awful in the same games fairly frequently, at least until the game slows down for him. That's what happens to rookies and that's what happens to backups.

Last edited:
A VCR? Who still uses those? Get out of the '80s dude, lol.

Good thing for Carson Palmer you're not a Bungles fan or he'd be applying at UPS too. Because he somehow sits below Cassel on your particular points of interest, along with multi pro bowlers Marc Bulger and Matt Hasselbeck and the undefeated Titans Kerry Collins and 2007 pro bowler Derek Anderson (who like Palmer has some pretty prolific weapons) and the immortal Joe Flacco...

The problem with you clowns is it's not about being objective it's about being right. You would rather he fail and this team lose so down the road you can crow about how you predicted their demise all along. Only in NE does that type of negativity classify itself as being a fan...

I blame the Boston sports culture forged in the psyche of the 20th Century Red Sox fan

Archaic types like me.

OT: Know where I can get a deal on an phonograph?
ha, just jokin' with you, but seriously, they're doing some amazing things with technology... you might want to catch up.

Funny and good point, but outright hilarious at the posters who didn't actually read it carefully

Sure do. I'll send you a telegraph with the address.
Warn the delivery boy to watch what he steps in...
animal-smiley-4960.gif

ha, just jokin' with you, but seriously, they're doing some amazing things with technology... you might want to catch up.

missed_the_point.jpg

He taped the game on his VCR before... ah. Nevermind.

Given the categories, that's where I would sit. But in reality, my feelings are somewhere in between. I am not cautiously optimistic, especially after the last game. As I said, I hope they squeek in and go on a run. That is hardly cautiously optimistic.

Oddly, this kinda sounds like the precise definition of cautiously optimistic.

Is it uncautious non-optimism? Minimalistic hopefulism? Riding-the-fence-so-I-can't-lose-this-argumentitis?

Last edited:
Not sure what game you were watching "4 INTs".. seems like your VCR recorded another game..But wait..there is more..just another loud mouth who knows nothing about the game.."idiot coach".. another fair weather fan..seems like there are droves of them...worse than trolls.

he is obviously trying to be deceptive in making you think he is referencing last week's game when in reality he is referencing the game at Denver in 2001 in which Brady actually did throw 4 INTs

he is obviously trying to be deceptive in making you think he is referencing last week's game when in reality he is referencing the game at Denver in 2001 in which Brady actually did throw 4 INTs

Scary that you actually had to explain that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft