PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just finished watching the game I recorded on VCR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not writing off the year and I wont until its obvious they wont make the playoffs. But after so many years in the system, dont you think that Cassel should be performing better than he is now? I have been posting in another thread on his stats. He is around 22 to 23 in the league based on a number of categories. With the weapons at his disposal (Moss and Welker in particular) are you not the least bit disapointed with his performance so far?

You voted you are writing off the year though...
New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard - View Poll Results

As for Cassel, it is understandable to have some disappointment, especially considering what we witnessed last year. But when we take time to reflect we realize that we have too high of expectations for a kid that hasn't started since HS behind a very shaky OL. He HAS made progress though, and I have seen enough to be confident that this offense is on the verge of breaking out.

Moss becomes null and void when the OL doesn't give enough time for a play to develop and there is no way DCs are gonna let Welker beat them as much as they did last year, though Cassel has been finding him more and more.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Epic fail.

epic-failure08.jpg

You voted you are writing off the year though...
New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard - View Poll Results

As for Cassel, it is understandable to have some disappointment, especially considering what we witnessed last year. But when we take time to reflect we realize that we have too high of expectations for a kid that hasn't started since HS behind a very shaky OL. He HAS made progress though, and I have seen enough to be confident that this offense is on the verge of breaking out.

Moss becomes null and void when the OL doesn't give enough time for a play to develop and there is no way DCs are gonna let Welker beat them as much as they did last year, though Cassel has been finding him more and more.

Given the categories, that's where I would sit. But in reality, my feelings are somewhere in between. I am not cautiously optimistic, especially after the last game. As I said, I hope they squeek in and go on a run. That is hardly cautiously optimistic.

Awesome. You had me at first, until the facts started to jar... :)

How can a prediction be "so true". WTF is this Miss Cleo and her assistant?

And let me ask you two something, what is the point of being a fan if you cannot have "hope"? You must be assured of it otherwise you look to next year, how is that fun for you, what is the damn point?

I think ALL Patriots fans have some glimmer of hope in the very far back of thier minds that it COULD happen but some fans are more optimistic than others,I fall more towards the lighter side of optimism but after seeing this season which looks like a 20 horse Kentucky Derby field where there is no clear cut favorite, you can't ignore the fact anything can happen although having Cassel as your quarterback is sort of like the fat man in the circus riding as a jockey on a horse in the Kentucky Derby - its a heavy load to overcome

Last edited:
I have to say.....

I must agree with those who says our back up QB sucks.

I know it was a late round pick, but still it was a waste of a pick and roster spot. He should have been cut in training camp.

4 INTs What the hell is this guy thinking? Or more to the point does this guy think at all? This guys has no freaking idea about when not to throw the ball.

And when does throw it is just dink and dunk. Can he throw something past 10 yards? Whatever yards they get are runs after the catch.

The moment our Pro-bowl QB went down I knew our season was over and this game just proves it.

I can't believe our idiot coach didn't have a seasoned Vet as a backup.

When is Bledsoe going to be ready to play again?

(flashback to after the Denver game 2001)

Let's admit that the quarterback you are mentioning is probably

a exceptional case.

I have to say.....

I know it was a late round pick, but still it was a waste of a pick and roster spot. He should have been cut in training camp.

4 INTs What the hell is this guy thinking? Or more to the point does this guy think at all? This guys has no freaking idea about when not to throw the ball.

And when does throw it is just dink and dunk. Can he throw something past 10 yards? Whatever yards they get are runs after the catch.

The moment our Pro-bowl QB went down I knew our season was over and this game just proves it.

Funny. But in 01, we did have a vet backup, Brady just beat him out.

I have to say.....

Thats some funny sh!t.

Definitely not writing off the year and I wont until its obvious they wont make the playoffs. But after so many years in the system, dont you think that Cassel should be performing better than he is now? I have been posting in another thread on his stats. He is around 22 to 23 in the league based on a number of categories. With the weapons at his disposal (Moss and Welker in particular) are you not the least bit disapointed with his performance so far?

Good thing for Carson Palmer you're not a Bungles fan or he'd be applying at UPS too. Because he somehow sits below Cassel on your particular points of interest, along with multi pro bowlers Marc Bulger and Matt Hasselbeck and the undefeated Titans Kerry Collins and 2007 pro bowler Derek Anderson (who like Palmer has some pretty prolific weapons) and the immortal Joe Flacco...

The problem with you clowns is it's not about being objective it's about being right. You would rather he fail and this team lose so down the road you can crow about how you predicted their demise all along. Only in NE does that type of negativity classify itself as being a fan...

I think ALL Patriots fans have some glimmer of hope in the very far back of thier minds that it COULD happen but some fans are more optimistic than others,I fall more towards the lighter side of optimism but after seeing this season which looks like a 20 horse Kentucky Derby field where there is no clear cut favorite, you can't ignore the fact anything can happen although having Cassel as your quarterback is sort of like the fat man in the circus riding as a jockey on a horse in the Kentucky Derby - its a heavy load to overcome

That analogy is horrible, more like having a young and unknown jockey riding a powerful horse. You see the fat guy can't lose weight during the race, Cassel can (and has been) improve during his race this year :D

I have to say.....

Props to me: I sniffed this out as soon as I saw "VCR".

Props to me: I sniffed this out as soon as I saw "VCR".

Yeah, that was a hint, instead of "tivo." Board doesn't go back that far, but you if it did you would find a post almost word for word.

Good thing for Carson Palmer you're not a Bungles fan or he'd be applying at UPS too. Because he somehow sits below Cassel on your particular points of interest, along with multi pro bowlers Marc Bulger and Matt Hasselbeck and the undefeated Titans Kerry Collins and 2007 pro bowler Derek Anderson (who like Palmer has some pretty prolific weapons) and the immortal Joe Flacco...

The problem with you clowns is it's not about being objective it's about being right. You would rather he fail and this team lose so down the road you can crow about how you predicted their demise all along. Only in NE does that type of negativity classify itself as being a fan...

Are you kidding me? I would rather the team lose? Please, spare your opinions about me how you want to "classify" me. I hope he proves me wrong, I hope the win the SB. From what I have seen so far, I just dont see it.

So, what you are say then is you are completely happy with Cassel's play up until now? I certainly wasnt expecting him to step in and be Brady. But I did expect him to manage this team to be more competitive than it has been against Miami and SD. funny, I was reading the gameday thread and everyone seemed to agree about Cassel's performance (along with the O line, secondary, etc). But you and your ilk seem to not want to be the least bit objective.

Last edited:
Love the homers running into this thread with their panties all in a bunch, ready to defend their boy Cassel till the death. Cassel is HORRID, and he will NEVER be a good NFL QB.

It's funny how far people will go to defend some JAG qb on the web!

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? I would rather the team lose? Please, spare your opinions about me how you want to "classify" me. So, what you are say then is you are completely happy with Cassel's play up until now? I certainly wasnt expecting him to step in and be Brady. But I did expect him to manage this team to be more competitive than it has been against Miami and SD. funny, I was reading the gameday thread and everyone seemed to agree about Cassel's performance (along with the O line, secondary, etc). But you and your ilk seem to not want to be the least bit objective.

Someone who's already on record as having given up the season and is now spending his time making negative post after negative post about the team he purports to be a fan of should probably not be making any argument about "objective".

Furthermore, your argument by way of using Miami and SD is incomplete and unfair, to say the least. Which of those games was the one that Cassel should have made the big defensive play to keep things close? Should he have been tackling Ronnie Brown or breaking up the passes of Rivers?

Someone who's already on record as having given up the season and is now spending his time making negative post after negative post about the team he purports to be a fan of should probably not be making any argument about "objective".

Furthermore, your argument by way of using Miami and SD is incomplete and unfair, to say the least. Which of those games was the one that Cassel should have made the big defensive play to keep things close? Should he have been tackling Ronnie Brown or breaking up the passes of Rivers?

As I said previously, the two options were writing off the season or being cautiously optimistic. What have you seen so far, besides maybe the Jets game where you can honestly say one can be cautiously optimistic. Put me in the camp of "hope for the best". Unfortunately, that wasnt one of the options.

Now, to your point on the defensive plays. There is no question that the defense played poorly in both games. The run defense was not good against Miami and the pass defense was bad against SD. We all saw that. But where is the offense to keep things close? Its not there. Where are the sustained drives to give the defense fresh or to keep the other team's offense off the field? How about the chances we have had in the red zone? Or turning point plays like underthrowing Moss on that deep ball last game?

And you still didn't answer my question. did you not expect more out of Cassel, given his years in the system?

Last edited:
As I said previously, the two options were writing off the season or being cautiously optimistic. What have you seen so far, besides maybe the Jets game where you can honestly say one can be cautiously optimistic. Put me in the camp of "hope for the best". Unfortunately, that wasnt one of the options.

Now, to your point on the defensive plays. There is no question that the defense played poorly in both games. The run defense was not good against Miami and the pass defense was bad against SD. We all saw that. But where is the offense to keep things close? Its not there. Where are the sustained drives to give the defense fresh or to keep the other team's offense off the field?

And you still didn't answer my question. did you not expect more out of Cassel, given his years in the system?

I think this is the crux of your problem. He has been in the system for 3+ years but he has had barely any time with the first string team prior to Brady's injury. He also hasn't started a game since High School. For you to expect him to play much better is a little much. I expect him to get better, I expect him to improve (along with the rest of the team especially the OL).

If the Patriots came into camp this year without Brady, and Cassel knowing he was the starter, my expectations would be somewhat higher. It's a much different situation being thrown in there after backing up a HOF in his prime. If you expect him to be playing well by the time playoffs come along, that is fair, I expect so too.

Well I agree with that. i was on record after the Jets game that I was happy with Cassel's play. He has sorta treaded water since then. Lets hope he gets better as the season progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes