PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels Handicapped This Patriots Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
make-it-stop.jpg

Josh McDaniels Handicapped This Patriots Team
:agree:

No question. But I'm still impressed with him all things considered. Hope he works hard to improve this offseason or maybe we should have Dante play a more influential role in playcalling.
repeating myself but

so where should they have ranked with those WR's

here is points per game for last season
San Diego 30.8
Indianapolis 26.7
Chicago 26.7
Dallas 26.6
New Orleans 25.8
Philadelphia 24.9
New England 24.1

7th place in the NFL is not good enough for you?

pretty good average considering all the adversity. i would fathom it would get better next year.

Wedll,m I got through the 1st two pages of this thread and saw many complaints about Dillon and Faulk not being on the field in the 2nd half. They were HURT. It wasn't just the flu and being exhausted. They were hurt. This was reported several times.

This was originally posted before that news came out.

This was originally posted before that news came out.

Ever after the news came out, the person who started the thread didn't acknowledge that both Dillon and Faulk were injured and that would seriously affect the running game. He tried to point out that it seemed silly to run Dillon outside and Maroney inside. Yet, Maroney actually runs very well went running up the middle. Its when he tries to go to the gaps between the guards and tackles that he has issues for some reason.

Are we ever going to acknowledge that the pieces that Josh had just weren't that great this year. We went from having two top tier #2 WR in Givens and Branch to a hodgepoge of other teams #3's. The running game suffered because it spent the season trying to run through 8 men on every down.
Now I think that Gaffney is a good reciever and that Caldwell the #2, and if Chad Jackson does come into his own...Watch out.

I predict that next year we will be talking along the lines of "Why didn't Josh do this last year?":rocker:

I predict that next year we will be talking along the lines of "Why didn't Josh do this last year?":rocker:

Well, if we start using more play-action, and not setting up so many formations with our receivers near our offensive line, then I imagine we will come through more often in crunch time, and yes people will be saying this next year. If not, it means our offense choked again, and then even more people will be calling for McDaniels' head.

repeating myself but

so where should they have ranked with those WR's

here is points per game for last season
San Diego 30.8
Indianapolis 26.7
Chicago 26.7
Dallas 26.6
New Orleans 25.8
Philadelphia 24.9
New England 24.1

7th place in the NFL is not good enough for you?

Grossman is the QB of a team scoring 26.7 ppg? i guess you can tell them they dont need offense.

It is possible to produce good stats and high points per game, but have bad coaching. A basketball example I used in another thread was the LA Lakers: under Del Harris, they put up good numbers but under-achieved and didn't 'execute' in crunch time. Under Phil Jackson, with the exact same team, Kobe and Shaq finally won a championship, as well as the next 2.

Last edited:
'The greatest OC in the world' Tom Moore had an offense put up point totals of ZERO and THREE points in the playoffs. Perspective people.

My problem with the Patriots offensive coaching is the apparent lack of adjustments. If the Pats are playing against a team good enough to make and execute adjustments, then the offense bogs down because the Pats offensive coaches seem to make NO adjustments of their own. It appears that the coaches have a set of plays designed that they intend to run for a particular game and they run those plays, regardless of their success and regardless of what the opposing defense does to adjust. It was quite telling for me that the Colts players knew (and GOT) the play the Pats were running on their last failed third down because the Pats had run it previously. Good offensive coaching, which prepares for the defense to make adjustments, wouldn't just run the identical play but would set up the defense off of that play. The Pats didn't. Neither did the Pats do ANYTHING at all to make Indy back off from putting the majority of their players close to the line of scrimmage. No play action passes (that I noticed), no deep passes (that I noticed). I don't even recall Brady ever pumping before throwing. Perhaps he didn't want to fake out his own receivers. Other than Brady, I was really most disappointed with the in game coaching of the Patriots this year, particularly the offense, but also the defense at times. Yes, there were injured and sick players for the Pats during the Indy game but good coaches should be able to make appropriate adjustments - especially when playing with a 15 pt lead.

My problem with the Patriots offensive coaching is the apparent lack of adjustments. If the Pats are playing against a team good enough to make and execute adjustments, then the offense bogs down because the Pats offensive coaches seem to make NO adjustments of their own. It appears that the coaches have a set of plays designed that they intend to run for a particular game and they run those plays, regardless of their success and regardless of what the opposing defense does to adjust. It was quite telling for me that the Colts players knew (and GOT) the play the Pats were running on their last failed third down because the Pats had run it previously. Good offensive coaching, which prepares for the defense to make adjustments, wouldn't just run the identical play but would set up the defense off of that play. The Pats didn't. Neither did the Pats do ANYTHING at all to make Indy back off from putting the majority of their players close to the line of scrimmage. No play action passes (that I noticed), no deep passes (that I noticed). I don't even recall Brady ever pumping before throwing. Perhaps he didn't want to fake out his own receivers. Other than Brady, I was really most disappointed with the in game coaching of the Patriots this year, particularly the offense, but also the defense at times. Yes, there were injured and sick players for the Pats during the Indy game but good coaches should be able to make appropriate adjustments - especially when playing with a 15 pt lead.

Your comments are very astute and right on target. My alter ego, Josh McDaniels, is the cause of all of those things that you brought forth.

Unfortunately, there are not too many individuals in this forum that are as astute as you and belive that my alter ego is doing a good job when
in truth, he sucks.

And I know that to be true, because a very astute person, much like yourself told me.

He also said, that if it weren't for Josh McDaniels,the Patriots would be world champions again this past season.

And, believe me, this astute person knows exactly what he is talking about.

I am sure that, by now, you have guessed who that person is, right?

But, it is encouraging, none the less, to see someone like yourself who actually sees the truth. Keep up the good work.

And now, I shall retire for the evening and go back into the black hole from hell, from which I have sprung.

Daniel McJosh, that was funny. There are alot of arm-chair OC on this board.... LOL

In the 2nd half of the Indy game, Maroney and Dillon were banged up and Faulk went down with an injury. This is why I'm giving McDaniels a pass.

In the 2nd half of the Indy game, Maroney and Dillon were banged up and Faulk went down with an injury. This is why I'm giving McDaniels a pass.

It seems fair to give McDaniels a pass since everyone is giving Dean Pees one for the same reason.

Your comments are very astute and right on target. My alter ego, Josh McDaniels, is the cause of all of those things that you brought forth.

Unfortunately, there are not too many individuals in this forum that are as astute as you and belive that my alter ego is doing a good job when
in truth, he sucks.

And I know that to be true, because a very astute person, much like yourself told me.

He also said, that if it weren't for Josh McDaniels,the Patriots would be world champions again this past season.

And, believe me, this astute person knows exactly what he is talking about.

I am sure that, by now, you have guessed who that person is, right?

But, it is encouraging, none the less, to see someone like yourself who actually sees the truth. Keep up the good work.

And now, I shall retire for the evening and go back into the black hole from hell, from which I have sprung.

When I saw your first post last night I figured it was either someone breaking the rules of his incarceration or a wise ass troll trying to stir the pot. I assume Ian will know which it is and act accordingly.

I assume Ian will know which it is and act accordingly.

I wished for the same but then I re-read it and saw the nuances of parody and it bothered me less.

At least he has gone back into his "black hole from hell."

Grossman is the QB of a team scoring 26.7 ppg? i guess you can tell them they dont need offense.

But then again how many points came from special teams and defense?

Time to move on, add some perspective and grow.

It seems fair to give McDaniels a pass since everyone is giving Dean Pees one for the same reason.

Sorry, McDaniels doesn't get a free pass. Whenever the defense falls apart, it is always the offenses' responsibility to save it. Whenever the offense falls apart, they let the defense down and even if the defense gives up 100 points it is the offense's fault. These are the golden rules of Patriots football and can never be deviated from. Whenever anything goes wrong, blame McDaniels.

Seriously. I don't get the logic why everyone targets McDaniels whenever something goes wrong with this team. I don't know if it is his age, the fact that he is replacing Weis and Weis has this legend that is greater than what he did, Brady is so infalible in everyone's eyes that if he has a bad game it has to be McDaniels, or that Belichick is such a defensive genius that if the defense fails it has to be the offense's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back