PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonathan Stewart at RB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are the 3 best running backs in the NFL

I'm going to assume you're being contrary for the sake of it. Chris Johnson is not a top 3 RB in the NFL by any measure. He hasn't even been a league average RB the last two years. 2009 was a long time ago in football years.

You know I'm a Green-Ellis fan PP but Stewart is a dual threat out of the backfield in both the running and passing game. That added dimension is a crucial difference between BJGE, Woodhead and Stewart. Stewart is by far the more complete back of the three.

I don't contest that Stewart is a legit threat, but at what cost? How about we give Ridley & Vereen a fair shake before casting them out too? Everyone wants a pro bowler at pretty much every position and that's clearly impossible. I'd rather have a pro bowler at WR and DL than at RB. Frankly I don't see any pressing needs at RB right now.

Johnathan Stewart could be available for a 2nd round pick.

Jonathan Stewart - Carolina Panthers - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

We had a Stewart link a couple weeks ago.
For some reason it is closed.

ESPN's Pat Yasinskas agrees that Jonathan Stewart is more likely to become trade bait than DeAngelo Williams if the Panthers sign free agent Mike Tolbert.This possibility was first floated by the Charlotte Observer, and Yasinskas is a trusted voice as a former Panthers beat reporter. Stewart is entering a contract year, and the Panthers and the Panthers probably won't be able to retain both him and the overpaid Williams behind 2012. If the Panthers do shop Stewart before April's draft, they shouldn't settle for any less than a second-round pick. Mar 18 - 9:44 PM

Stewart is a beast.... He is a free agent after the season so ESPN is
reporting that he could be available for a 2nd round pick.

They seem to favor DeAngelo Williams and they are looking at adding
Tolbert as a backup.

Last edited:
Re: Johnathan Stewart could be available for a 2nd round pick.

...and a new contract, as the majority of traded players receive. I'd rather see what Vereen and Ridley can do.

He's an absolute beast. This could be Dillion 2.0.

If he was a free agent I'd be more for the move. I'd rather see the Patriots use or trade the pick to try and improve defense or draft a a receiver.

He's an absolute beast. This could be Dillion 2.0.

I agree......

It would be nice to have a running back who would put the fear of
a run in a defense on a 3rd and 2.

Stewart is also a far better receiver than Dillon.

Is RB a need? Not when you have a QB who slings the ball 600 times a year. Save the pick and money for other more needy spots.

i dont think he's a big upgrade over BJGE + he would cost a 2th round pick they would be better off just Drafting a RB

If he would be willing to take the same amount of money as LLoyd then sure. :) haha in all fairness though, the cap goes up in 2014 a ton (of which teams MUST spend 90%), so if he didn't break the bank then it would be at least wise to kick the tires on him before he hits FA and teams can start a bidding war. But i agree that a defensive pick might be better....then again, a draft pick is an UNKNOWN quantity, so buyer beware.

i dont think he's a big upgrade over BJGE + he would cost a 2th round pick they would be better off just Drafting a RB

Stewart is a significantly better RB than BJGE.

That said, we just drafted two RBs and then we'd have to expend yet another pick plus the cost of a new contract? As others have noted, seems more prudent to use those resources on improving the defense and securing another wideout.

The Daily Show IMO a tremendous talent who would easily be the best RB this team has had since '04 Dillon. Having said that, the adding contract money, the loss of a 2nd rounder, and giving up on the Ridley/Vereen tandem seems a bit premature.

You got to be kidding me !
BJGE averaged 3.7 ypc in 2011.
BJGE has a career 4.0 ypc
BJGE caught 9 passes IN 2011.
BJGE turns 27 in July.

Stewart averaged 5.4 ypc in 2011
Stewart had a career 4.8 ypc
Stewart caught 47 passes in 2011.
Stewart turns 25 Wednesday March 21.

I would love to see what Stewart could do in the Patriots offense.
He is 5'10 235lbs.....

I like Stewart as a player, but I personally want all four of our 1st/2nd round picks going towards defense, and if we do end up using one on offense I think interior OL and WR are bigger needs going forward.

Zero interest. Don't need to invest in an RB without letting our two rookies have their bite at the apple first.

You got to be kidding me !
BJGE averaged 3.7 ypc in 2011.
BJGE has a career 4.0 ypc
BJGE caught 9 passes IN 2011.
BJGE turns 27 in July.

Stewart averaged 5.4 ypc in 2011
Stewart had a career 4.8 ypc
Stewart caught 47 passes in 2011.
Stewart turns 25 Wednesday March 21.

I would love to see what Stewart could do in the Patriots offense.
He is 5'10 235lbs.....

He would do exactly what every other RB does in the Patriots offense: 10-12 carries per game. Tom Brady needed Corey Dillon when he was still becoming the Tom Brady that we know now. This team doesn't need Corey Dillon anymore.

Agreed if we didn't have Ridley and Vareen i'd be all over it.
When you step back and look at the cost of a second rounder, the salary he will command at least 6 million if not more a year I think he'll receive closer to 8 though.
Cincy, Cleveland, NY Giants, Tampa Bay, Detroit, NY Jets, San Diego, Denver, Indy, Green Bay should all be willing to look into this.

This has the NY Jets written all over it but I think it will be Cincy.
Also think of this Mathias Kiwanuka for Jonathan Stewart and a 4th.

He would do exactly what every other RB does in the Patriots offense: 10-12 carries per game. Tom Brady needed Corey Dillon when he was still becoming the Tom Brady that we know now. This team doesn't need Corey Dillon anymore.

I would love the 2004 rushing attack back if we had the backs capable of doing it. 5200 passing yards is nice but I'd rather hold onto the ball for 35 minutes a game to give the defense a break and protect Brady.

Stewart will make - $1,311,250 in 2012.
He is then a RFA in 2013.
Give him a 1st round tender 2.74 Million (2012 number).
We could have him for at least 2 years

If we lose him after 2013, we would probably receive a 3rd round comp pick.

I know we drafted Gronkowski in the 2nd round (great 2nd round pick).
We also drafted Chad Jackson, Wheatley, Butler, Brace & Jermaine Cunningham in the 2nd round.

Some people second guessed the 2nd round pick for Dillon.
He had one great year and we won the superbowl.

1 Superbowl is sure worth 1 - 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

If he's available for a 2nd round pick that has to be considered an attractive offer, that is unless you are certain Ridley and Vereen are capable of becoming an every down dual threat feature back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes