Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middle of the Pack, 11-21

• Better than average, 22-27

• Among the best, Top 5 (28-32)

• Total voters
The old “scatback”’s problem isn’t meddling IMHO, it’s attention- and approval-whoring. He just can’t keep quiet. The nebbishy chip off the old block has the same issue.

Let's review all of the times Kraft "meddled":

1996 Draft - He wanted Terry Glenn and we got Terry Glenn. Then Parcells bolted in 1997.
I am not sure I consider that "meddling". Kraft wanted the coach to be the coach and the Director of Player Personnel to be the one deciding the players. IOW, he set up the same team structure which the vast majority of professional sports teams use.

Nope, Brady wanted to go to a team with some serious offensive weapons, not the Patriots with their bumbling attempts to stock their WR corps. That is why N'Keal Harry was the worst draft pick in Patriots history. Worse than Sims and all the other boobs put together. H was why they lost Brady and, ultimately, BB. If they drafted Deebo, Brady would probably have stuck.
Brady asked for the no franchise clause before Harry ever played a snap so I'm not sure what you're talking about?

Honestly he should have meddled more and kept TB12 in the building. All the Patriots needed to do was offer him an extension into his age 45 season but BB convinced Kraft that Brady was 'washed'.

TB12 goes on and wins the Superbowl in his first year away from BB. BB meanwhile failed to win a single playoff game in his last 5 years with the Patriots and caps his tenure with a 4-13 losing season. But that's all in the past now.

From the sounds of it Wolf and Mayo are in charge and Kraft is content to sit back and let the football people handle things for now.
Agreed 100%.. perfectly put. As it should be done. Allow the football people handle the roster.

Consistently being "one of the lowest cash spenders" in the NFL has to get factored in when ranking "meddling owners".
There are many ways to meddle, starting with setting the budget. RKK is starting to look like a more subtle version of Mike Brown.

Awkward Game Of Thrones GIF

That's not good news IMO.

I had a feeling Jonathan has been behind the scenes trying to take over for his Dad.

Nope, Brady wanted to go to a team with some serious offensive weapons, not the Patriots with their bumbling attempts to stock their WR corps. That is why N'Keal Harry was the worst draft pick in Patriots history. Worse than Sims and all the other boobs put together. H was why they lost Brady and, ultimately, BB. If they drafted Deebo, Brady would probably have stuck.
From what Hoyer recently came out and said, Brady wanted out after the 2019 season and was prepared to sit out the season if his contract wasn't reworked to reflect that. Harry would've had to been as impactful of a player as Gronk and Brown staying to have changed his mind to stay. But I agree, the Harry pick and the Williams pick that followed put the nail in the coffin for the dynasty. Harris was also a pick that provided nothing in his first year. So basically a team that was in dire need of help, received almost zero production from their first 3 picks in the draft.

Agreed 100%.. perfectly put. As it should be done. Allow the football people handle the roster.
The meddling is the major reason for all the crazy that ensued.

Should've been made clear to Brady that Guerrero was not to work with any other players on the premises.

Especially since Guerrero was telling them not to listen to the coaches and trainers.

Even Amendola understood the position of the coaches (though he hated them) and he outlined what the Kraft's decision meant, that they had undermined the coaches.

Brady was interviewed 20 times during the Dynasty and the only real thing he said with emotion was that Guerrero had been treated badly and that Guerrero is a great guy.

That told me everything I needed to know about how the Krafts had blundered through that situation.

I had a feeling Jonathan has been behind the scenes trying to take over for his Dad.
Stop implying Machiavellian machinations. What’s he” trying” to do? Get his Dad committed? There’s no Board of Directors or electorate to play to here. Either Bob Kraft is still the boss, or he’s given that authority to his oldest son which is fully his prerogative.

The old “scatback”’s problem isn’t meddling IMHO, it’s attention- and approval-whoring. He just can’t keep quiet. The nebbishy chip off the old block has the same issue.
Nah I'd argue his problem is sentimentality. He loved Tom probably more than an owner should care about a player, but he felt confident enough in Bill to side with him and move on. Then when it didn't work out, he felt like he was personally led astray and misled and now has a ton of shame and embarrassment and is desperate to correct that.

Stop implying Machiavellian machinations. What’s he” trying” to do? Get his Dad committed? There’s no Board of Directors or electorate to play to here. Either Bob Kraft is still the boss, or he’s given that authority to his oldest son which is fully his prerogative.
Yup. In fact, it's been implied for quite awhile that Jonathan does most of the day to day and has since the mid to late 2010's and Bob was just a figurehead who maybe gave final approval on some big decisions

I'm sick of the Krafts just 3 months into the new era. If there is one good thing that came out of Bill's complete control style of management and unprecedented success it's that he was able to keep Robert and Jonathan out of football decisions and there was nothing they could do about it. The best thing the Krafts can do is keep their mouthes shut and stay out of the way of the football people. No wonder Bill grew tired of them both.

+1 +1 +1

Jonathan Kraft doesn't need to "seize" control; he has been the President of the team for almost 20 years now. I don't think he would ever do anything contrary to his father's wishes but I also believe his father is much less hands on than he used to be and has delegated a lot of the decision making to Jonathan.

I'm sick of the Krafts just 3 months into the new era. If there is one good thing that came out of Bill's complete control style of management and unprecedented success it's that he was able to keep Robert and Jonathan out of football decisions and there was nothing they could do about it.
Well, apparently there was something they could do about it considering they're still here and Belichick is unemployed.

Last edited:
The news Pats fans have been waiting for … said nobody ever

Was not hard at all to see this one coming. My position on this nebbish is well established albeit unpopular with some here. I will be rooting for the never played competitive sports noodnik to prove me wrong.

Awkward Game Of Thrones GIF

That's not good news IMO.

He's always been involved he's #2 in charge of all the krafts business.. this isn't new. JK has always been a prime decision maker.. as he's an NFL owner his imput matters of course but like Bill was.. wolf and Mayo are being paid to make roster decisions as well.

I'm sick of the Krafts just 3 months into the new era. If there is one good thing that came out of Bill's complete control style of management and unprecedented success it's that he was able to keep Robert and Jonathan out of football decisions and there was nothing they could do about it. The best thing the Krafts can do is keep their mouthes shut and stay out of the way of the football people. No wonder Bill grew tired of them both.
To give you some positive thoughts as a fan. We weren't even a NFL offense the last few seasons under the greatest to ever do it. There was projected to be change regardless be Bill left on his own terms or the mutual parting.

We have a ready-made championship level defense that's got it's 2 best players back. The QB position was so bungled and mismanaged that Brissett cannot be any worse than Bailey Jones as a bridge.

The new era starts Thursday get the QB and we get back into contention.

We have 5 months between now and week 1..

The news Pats fans have been waiting for … said nobody ever

Was not hard at all to see this one coming. My position on this nebbish is well established albeit unpopular with some here. I will be rooting for the never played competitive sports noodnik to prove me wrong.
Aren't we all.

The Kraft's own the team so it is their right to manage it as they see fit. If they are involved in football decisions they should at least be open about their involvement. Publicly stating that they don't get involved while controlling things behind the scene is not a good model. If things go wrong they have plausible deniability if things go well they can take credit. Mayo and Wolf are in terrible positions.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back